TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

TAS Reviews: Shazam!

When I was about 6 years old, me and my two friends would go to an area in our school with a lot of sand, and we would mix it and crush it with rocks, playing make belief that we were making "potions." At about the same age, I told my mum to lend me some fabric and a sewing machine, and went to my room and starting putting something together. I told her I was doing something for school, but I was really just making a superhero outfit. In my mind, I couldn't let her know because my "secret identity" would endanger her.

Shazam! directed by David Sandberg is such a wonderful movie because it taps into that childlike wonderment of pretending to a hero. Of wishing you could soar through the skies like Superman with no responsibility and nothing to worry about except looking cool. Of wishing you were friends with Batman and Superman. We get a superhero movie every other month right now, so it might be easy to think "well, why just Shazam? Why don't other superhero movies have a similair nostalgic effect on you?"

The obvious conceptual difference between Shazam! and other superhero films is that the hero in Shazam! is a kid who, by saying a magical world, transforms into an adult hero. And it's this idea that makes a world of difference. Modern superhero movies, for all their self-referential humour and comedy, present a very grown up, adult idea of being a superhero. They often portray it as something characterised by decision making, consequences and even something with devastating effects: Infinity War and Endgame for example.

I love those movies, but Shazam! sets itself apart by exploring the idea of heroism that made us fall in love with these heroes in the first place. The idea of heroism we possessed as kids. Of being celebrities, of sipping margaritas with the Justice League. Of kicking ass and looking cool while doing it. It's this perspective of heroism that makes Shazam! such a fresh, different, yet nostalgic superhero movie that reminded me of why I fell in love with the idea of superheroes in the first place.

No Caption Provided

In fact, the best parts of the movie are the earlier segments with Zachary Levi's Billy Batson growing accustomed with his powers and gleaming with astonishment at all the cool things he can do. These scenes are some of the funniest scenes in a movie full of hilarious scene after hilarious scene. Humour is subjective, so I'm sure this won't apply to everyone seeing this movie, but Shazam! is easily the funniest superhero movie I've seen in a long time, if not the funniest superhero movie ever made. I was constantly reduced to tears by laughter, and they did a great job utilising the premise to create some hilarious scenarios.

As far as comedies go, the script is super-important, but the movie ultimately lives and dies by the comedic timing and likability of your actors, and I'm sure the filmmakers understood this too because this movie has a great cast. Zachary Levi as Shazam is, although not necessarily as irreplaceable as these actors, up there with Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds in regards to being perfectly cast comic book characters.

Not only is his comedic timing impeccable, but he instills the character with the sense of wonder and childlike irreverence necessary for Shazam, without ever coming across in bad taste or resembling an SNL parody. Asher Angel also makes a great transition from supporting character in a Disney show, to the blockbuster landscape with his performance of the younger Billy Batson. He's by no means an accomplished actor and didn't woo me with his performance, but he does a great job playing Billy as someone who is troubled, but still full of heart and humanity, whereas a less careful performer could've made the character come across as a generic, unlikeable, angsty teenage character.

No Caption Provided

However, my second favourite performance in the movie is not Asher as Billy, though he is great, but actually Jack Dylan Grazer's Freddy Freeman. The trailer left with me with a lot of fear that his character would be a tacky child character who does nothing but make edgy Game of Thrones and generic Fortnite references. But once again, because of Jack's performance, I instantly become attached to this character, and I love what the character brought to the movie in terms of his superhero knowledge and enthusiasm. It reminded me of how me and my friends would talk about superheroes, and it went a long way in making this feel like part of the larger, connected world with existing, idolised superheroes.

Grazer has great chemistry with both Asher and Zachary, which is incredibly important as the relationship between the two is the heart of the movie, and I loved how the relationship between Freddie and Billy grew throughout the movie. Grace Fulton, Faith Herman, Ian Chen and Jovan Armand all play supporting roles as Billy's foster family, and although they don't get a tremendous amount of screentime, each of them elevates the movie's emotional core, bringing a lot of heart and personality to the movie.

I've mentioned the word "heart" more than once in this review, and it's because this movie is full of heart. There are a lot of moments in this movie that would come across as cliché in another movie, but because I cared about these characters so much, these moments, cliché as they may be, all landed for me. It's the heart of this movie that helps it remain so grounded and relatable in the face of all the superhero shenanigans.

My sole complaint about the movie is the villain: Mark Strong's Dr. Sivana. I loved what they tried to with the character, but what they were trying to do and what they ended up accomplishing in terms of trying to create an antagonist with emotional depth were entirely different things, which is my best way of saying "they failed pretty spectacularly" in the most spoiler-free way possible. Thankfully, this isn't a big enough flaw to take away significantly from my enjoyment of the film, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

Conclusion

No Caption Provided

Led by a perfectly-cast lead in Zachary Levi, and a consistently hilarious script, Shazam! is so brilliant because it unapologetically recaptures the wish-fulfilment that allowed the superhero genre to capture our hearts in the first place. It's a movie that made me reflect on the past: of playing make-belief with my friends, but also a movie that makes me excited for the future. It made me want to see what the DCEU has in store for the years to come. It made me want to see Shazam fight Black Adam. It made me want to see Birds of Prey. It heightened by excitement for The Batman. With Shazam!, David Sandberg has delivered the best DCEU movie thus far, and the best Captain Marvel movie of 2019.

Score: 9/10

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

and the best Captain Marvel movie of 2019.

People better recognize.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

top notch review shazam finally getting his long overdue respect

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People better recognize.

This isn't grossing anywhere near Captain Marvel, but it is insanely better.

Have you seen it yet?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

top notch review shazam finally getting his long overdue respect

Thanks! And yes. I'm so glad this movie exists and is getting great reception.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

People better recognize.

Have you seen it yet?

I saw it today actually. Found it quite enjoyable.

Heavily felt the emotional core of the film with Billy trying to track his real mother and in the end she ultimately denied him.

Avatar image for jimjaspers20675
JimJaspers20675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a very good movie. I don't know why I don't like it. Captain marvel in my honest opinion was much better. But we all have opinions, and we must respect that. Would love to debate on why I find Shazam worser though.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:
@monsterstomp said:

People better recognize.

Have you seen it yet?

I saw it today actually. Found it quite enjoyable.

Heavily felt the emotional core of the film with Billy trying to track his real mother and in the end she ultimately denied him.

I wholeheartedly agree. That was one of the saddest parts of the movie. And it made it all the more rewarding in the end when Billy grows to accept his foster family. He realises he needs to move on and that what he's looking for - a family - lies ahead instead of in his past.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a very good movie. I don't know why I don't like it. Captain marvel in my honest opinion was much better. But we all have opinions, and we must respect that. Would love to debate on why I find Shazam worser though.

Fair enough. I'm always up for a good debate (my favourite part of sharing reviews is to incite discussion). Just make sure to block your spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it :)

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like that Billy is more childish as Shazam than as himself, lol.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nucleon

Thanks - I was actually waiting for that tag. Excellent review as always - better than the ones I have seen about it on IMDB.

I hope the movie does well. It feels sympathetic to me.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nucleon said:

Thanks - I was actually waiting for that tag.

I hope the movie does well. I feels sympathetic to me.

Considering the budget is 90 million, it only needs to make about 225 million to turn in a profit, which it definitely will do. I just wish it was a mega-hit, but it's very unlikely it will be =/

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TAS always with the quality work.

I loved the movie. There’s so much more to explore in the future. And I can’t wait to see him in the eventual team up.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TAS always with the quality work.

I loved the movie. There’s so much more to explore in the future. And I can’t wait to see him in the eventual team up.

Thank you so much man! And with Shazam in your username, I'm glad you loved the movie.

I just can't wait to see Shazam fight Black Adam and crossover with other DC heroes. I would give an arm to see Cavill and Levi in the same movie as Supes and Billy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

People better recognize.

This movie is getting average reviews in foreign countries for being too Childish and American centric . We will have to wait and see

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

People better recognize.

This movie is getting blasted in foreign countries for being too Childish and American centric . We will have to wait and see

It will probably gross half of what Captain Marvel grossed (around $500 million). Still profitable, but a shame considering how good the movie is. The release date didn't do them any favours either.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

glad you enjoyed it :)

Doom_Phd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: when will people learn that Gross =/= quality of a Film otherwise Bayformers will be consider one of the best film franchises

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! Can't wait to watch it

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can't wait to see it tomorrow.

CyberpunkCop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was decent doesn't have as many missteps as Captain Marvel but overall feels too small in scale and way too safe

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear you liked it so much. I'm looking forward to this movie now more than ever.

Eri_Joni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see it.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to try to see it, already seeing Us this weekend so may have to wait until next weekend

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: The release date didn't do them any favours either.

Yeah - stuck between Captain Marvel and Endgame apparently wasn't enough, DC had to release a Joker trailer.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should have released this movie in the fall or late summer would've done better it feels like a movie that should be released around christmas or the fall

Putting it between 2 MCU movies was just stupid on WB part

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nucleon: should still do a good 300-400 mil bro. It wasn’t made for very much, even if it gets completely overshadowed by Endgame. But then again if it sees a massive 2nd week drop who knows

Avatar image for chicago_bastard
chicago_bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nucleon said:

Thanks - I was actually waiting for that tag.

I hope the movie does well. I feels sympathetic to me.

Considering the budget is 90 million, it only needs to make about 225 million to turn in a profit, which it definitely will do.

The budget doesn't include the marketing cost. Let's say the movie cost 150 million with marketing included, that would put the break even point at over 300 million.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you! You seeing it?

@doom_phd said:

@theamazingspidey: when will people learn that Gross =/= quality of a Film otherwise Bayformers will be consider one of the best film franchises

IDK if this is directed at me, but I don't think this and never thought this. But when you love a movie, you want it to succeed because you want people to appreciate it like you do and you hope more sequels get greenlit.

Can't wait to see it tomorrow.

Interested in hearing what you think afterwards!

@tomkatie said:

I have to try to see it, already seeing Us this weekend so may have to wait until next weekend

Us was incredible.

They should have released this movie in the fall or late summer would've done better it feels like a movie that should be released around christmas or the fall

Putting it between 2 MCU movies was just stupid on WB part

Absolutely agree. And Endgame putting tickets on sale a day or two before Shazam dropped really hurt this movie.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@amazing_webhead said:

Thank you! You seeing it?

i saw an early 'sneak preview' showing a few weeks ago

y'know, i always thought that i would love it if DC's Captain Marvel outperformed Marvel's, but now that it's happened i just feel kind of sorry for them :(

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just saw Shazam and I completely agree with this review! Loved the movie, definitely thought it was better than Captain Marvel and easily one of my favorite DC movies.

Can't help but notice they only reference Superman and Batman as general superheroes in this universe but never go into detail about the events of Batman v. Superman or Justice League. Is WB retconning those out of the continuity and replacing them with the recasted Batman and (probably) Superman? I'd be totally onboard with that if the inevitable reboots are better than the Pre-Justice League universe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched it again, and it was better the second time around.

I just wish the movie got the real WODC treatment with the massive budget. Hopefully in the sequel or the team up. The Shazam family is an amazing idea.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw Shazam and I completely agree with this review! Loved the movie, definitely thought it was better than Captain Marvel and easily one of my favorite DC movies.

Can't help but notice they only reference Superman and Batman as general superheroes in this universe but never go into detail about the events of Batman v. Superman or Justice League. Is WB retconning those out of the continuity and replacing them with the recasted Batman and (probably) Superman? I'd be totally onboard with that if the inevitable reboots are better than the Pre-Justice League universe

I'm glad you enjoyed it! As for the second part of this comment:

I think DC wants to allow leeway for themselves to reboot/soft-reboot/establish a new continuity, so they would rather avoid explicitly referencing events in MoS/BvS, but I do remember a news article about Superman coming back, which potentially alludes to his resurrection and return in Justice League.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched it again, and it was better the second time around.

I just wish the movie got the real WODC treatment with the massive budget. Hopefully in the sequel or the team up. The Shazam family is an amazing idea.

Glad it held up for you on second viewing. I'm a little envious heh. I hope I'm able to watch it again because I can't stop thinking about it.

Right now, it's an uncertainty if the movie will even reach 400 million worldwide. If it weren't for the relatively lower budget, that would've been a disaster. With the low budget, it's highly probable the movie will turn in a profit. However, if they went full out and gave it he WODC treatment as you mentioned, there could've been more potential for action and special effects which would've drawn in international audiences and could've made this a bigger hit.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might be better than Batman Begins. That's how good it is, wow!
incredibly heart warming and fun

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had so much fun watching it. Zachary Levi was terrific, and I thought the rest of the cast did a great job as well. Agreed about Sivana though, although I didn’t think he did a bad job.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might be better than Batman Begins. That's how good it is, wow!

incredibly heart warming and fun

Glad you loved it! It's probably my 2nd favourite DC movie of all time.

I had so much fun watching it. Zachary Levi was terrific, and I thought the rest of the cast did a great job as well. Agreed about Sivana though, although I didn’t think he did a bad job.

Yeah, I didn't think Mark Strong was terrible or anything, but I found it hard to sympathise with his character. He was supposed to have a tragic backstory but it fell flat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey:

Exactly. It would have been more of a spectacle like let’s say MOS. And the marketing would have been better.

My hopes for a sequel are a team up with Superman to take down BA. It will serve as a double sequel, in essence. You can even name it like the animated movie, Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam. Superman and Shazam on screen, along with the freaking Rock will for sure put some butts in seats.

While this would be ideal, I think they are going for the Magic Lands route like in the new Rebirth story. The mid-credits scene alluded to that. It could be a whole new cinematic experience for superhero movies if they really explore the whole world of magic. I’m excited either way.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@mr_shazam0920:

My hopes for a sequel are a team up with Superman to take down BA. It will serve as a double sequel, in essence. You can even name it like the animated movie, Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam. Superman and Shazam on screen, along with the freaking Rock will for sure put some butts in seats.

Um....... do you know how wet this would make me? IDK if you do.

That would be incredible. Honestly I'll take any Shazam sequel/continuation. Anything that means I get to spend more time with these words and characters. I hope WB realises that even though this movie will underperform, the next movie with better marketing and more action (while maintaining the heart of the first movie) could be a hit.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phisigmatau:

I was watching with my fiancé who has no idea about comics. In the beginning when we saw Mr. Mind I was geeking out. I was like “babe, that’s Mr. Mind!!”, and she’s like “what, the worm?”

Lol. How do you explain that to someone who doesn’t know?

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was watching with my fiancé who has no idea about comics. In the beginning when we saw Mr. Mind I was geeking out. I was like “babe, that’s Mr. Mind!!”, and she’s like “what, the worm?”

I had the same experience with my boyfriend. He even thought I said "Mr. Man" instead of "Mr. Mind" which must have been confusing.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan said:
@mr_shazam0920 said:

I had the same experience with my boyfriend. He even thought I said "Mr. Man" instead of "Mr. Mind" which must have been confusing.

Well I can relate to both of your significant others because I had no idea what that silly worm was lol. I'm not exactly a comic book aficionado :)

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By phisigmatau

@mr_shazam0920 said:

@phisigmatau:

lol I meant the one with SUPERMAN

i never heard of mr mind b4 seeing that end credit lololol

Archangel01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shazam family is the most exciting thing in the recent cbm history for me , with great potential both in feats for battle freaks plus it can attract kids because of they are ordinary kids too with godlike abilities

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 the_stegman  Moderator

I gotta stop being lazy and get around to writing a review, but I more or less agree. 9/10, super fun movie. I'm just sad it only has two weeks to make money before it's eaten alive by Endgame.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't watch the movie. But your review was amazing tas

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers