TAS Reviews: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Spoiler-Free)

• 56 results
Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

TAS Reviews: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Spoiler-Free)

As a big Marvel fan, I enjoy the incredible spectacle in these movies. But what is it that sets the MCU above the rest of its competition? What is it that has made this franchise endure where other shared universes such as the DC Cinematic Universe and The Dark Universe have failed? One word: character. Kevin Feige and his team have created a series of characters who are relatable, complex and despite their fantastical powers and larger than life costumes, are incredibly human. Throughout the years, Marvel has become increasingly less effective at getting you to care about characters. Though I loved Shang-Chi, there is no moment that even comes close to the emotional impact and poignancy of Steve Rogers jumping on top of the grenade in The First Avenger. Despite this, Marvel has still managed to maintain a good grip on their characterisation, even if they aren't quite as deft at it as they used to be.

No Caption Provided

That is, until Doctor Strange in The Multiverse of Madness, arguably the first MCU movie in a long time which feels more 'super' than 'human.' It is a movie more focused on spectacle than character, using its lead character as little more than a vehicle for multiverse shenanigans. There is an attempt at character, but that attempt is severely undercooked, and is undercut by the messy, spectacle-driven plot of the movie. Barely any character gets the time to breathe, leaving the new characters, such as America Chavez, feeling undercooked, and even side-lining returning characters such as Chiwetel Ejiofor's Mordo.

If you haven't seen the movie, you're probably assuming all of this implies that at the very least, the movie does function well a larger-than-life spectacle to behold. A movie that embraces the craziness of the multiverse and just goes wild with it. This is yet another area where the movie falls short. Because the true Multiverse of Madness did come out this year. It just isn't this one (hint: It's called Everything Everywhere All At Once). There was so much opportunity to go bonkers with this concept, and introduce it to exciting, creative worlds, yet I left the movie feeling like outside of a few interesting moments, it was just standard MCU fare with the multiverse label slapped on it. There's a lot of Multiverse. Just not a whole lot of madness.

No Caption Provided

A lot of people went into this movie expecting some crazy cameos. And assuming you've seen the trailer, you'll know that Patrick Stewart's Professor Xavier makes an appearance. He's not the only cameo in the movie, but I'll let you experience that yourself. I, like anyone else, enjoy a good cameo. I loved when all those Raimi and Webb characters appeared in Spider-Man: No Way Home. However, the reason the cameos in that movies worked is because they felt like a natural part of the story, and elevated the themes and character arcs of those movies. When Garfield and Maguire show up, it's not just to get a reaction out of the audience. Those two help Tom Holland's Spider-Man to learn from their own mistakes, and imbue him a sense of companionship and hope when he needs it. The Multiverse of Madness has perhaps the most egregious example of cheap fan-service in Marvel Cinematic Universe history. The inclusion of cameos in these movies is little more than a cheap jingling of shiny keys.

No Caption Provided

Another area where Marvel movies tend to succeed where this one failed is the acting. Though Benedict Cumberbatch turns in a solid lead performance, we get disappointing performances from Xochiti Gomez, Benedict Wong, Chiwetel Ejiofor and although Elizabeth Olsen ends up delivering a solid lead performance, her acting in the first act in the movie is overly whispery.

This movie is directed by Sam Raimi, and although his direction isn't without it's strengths, I found it to be awkward at times, specifically the cinematography and the movie's overuse of dutch angels. Though I was overly disappointed in Multiverse of Madness, it is far from an irredeemably bad movie. The visuals, as expected, are terrific, and there is a part of the movie where they traverse different universes within a short amount of time and it is an absolute visual delight to see. In a similar vein, there is an action sequence in the movie that is executed in a way I would've never expected to see in a Marvel movie, and is one of the creative things in this franchise history.

No Caption Provided

The movie also has one of the best villains in an MCU movie, which perhaps isn't saying much considering how inconsistent the villains in this franchise have been, but it is still worthy of noting that we get a villain that is both complex and at times chilling. Before venturing into the comic book genre, Sam Raimi established himself as a horror director, known specifically for directing the Evil Dead franchise. Though the PR statements about this movie being a horror movie were wildly exaggerated, this is probably the most horror esque superhero ever made, and there are moments which could've straight up been ripped out of a horror movie. It was delightful seeing Raimi bring what I can assume to be his own touch to a Marvel blockbuster.

Conclusion

No Caption Provided

Though Doctor Strange in The Multiverse of Madness is inarguably one of the most visually stunning universes in Marvel Cinematic Universe history, it is also easily one of the weakest. It suffers from underdeveloped characters, ham-fisted fan-service, surprisingly weak acting and a general under-utilisation of what could've been an imaginative, creative concept. If you want a bonkers, balls-to-the-wall multiverse movie, this isn't it. That one came out a few months ago.

Score: 6/10

sp4ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Morbius better imo

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sp4ce said:

Morbius better imo

I know you're probably joking, but I honestly haven't seen that movie.

sp4ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Go see it, it's honestly one of the best movies i have ever seen along with The Lighthouse. I can't recommend it enough

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sp4ce said:

@theamazingspidey: Go see it, it's honestly one of the best movies i have ever seen along with The Lighthouse. I can't recommend it enough

I hated The Lighthouse haha.

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Yeah was pretty horrified when I saw the movie.

This is the same studio that made Avengers, Civil war, and no way home but here absolutely failed in doing justice to to their characters

I am starting to worry about MCU future. Marvel seem to have forgotten than it is solo movie that were the foundation to the universe and seem to leaning hard toward this cross over gimmick. There seem to no new solo movie from Marvel. All are crossovers or team up

The Marvels seem to be another movie with many characters slapped to hype the movie and boost Disney plus.

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Great review by the way. I had the same exact thoughts about this movie.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Yeah was pretty horrified when I saw the movie.

This is the same studio that made Avengers, Civil war, and no way home but here absolutely failed in doing justice to to their characters

I am starting to worry about MCU future. Marvel seem to have forgotten than it is solo movie that were the foundation to the universe and seem to leaning hard toward this cross over gimmick. There seem to no new solo movie from Marvel. All are crossovers or team up

The Marvels seem to be another movie with many characters slapped to hype the movie and boost Disney plus.

No Way Home was great, but Marvel has definitely been missing a lot more lately. I wasn't a fan of this, Eternals, Hawkeye and Loki, and shows like Moon Knight, TFAWTS and WandaVision started off great, but really failed in sticking the landing. I fear that Feige is either getting less creative or is biting off more than he can chew.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8 frozen  Moderator

Great review.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Great review.

Thanks! Any chance you could put this on the front page like you previously mentioned? :)

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11 frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

Great review.

Thanks! Any chance you could put this on the front page like you previously mentioned? :)

Indeed I could, thanks for reminding me. Will take a day or two to get there but it'll be there.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@frozen said:

Great review.

Indeed I could, thanks for reminding me. Will take a day or two to get there but it'll be there.

Thank you!

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I disagree with some parts, the review sums up my thoughts on this movie too. Great review as always

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I disagree with some parts, the review sums up my thoughts on this movie too. Great review as always

Thank you for always supporting my stuff! :)

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 krisbishop  Moderator

Well written review. I agree with most if not all of your sentiments.

Hopefully this helps some people understand why this movie isn't as well-liked by us, instead of having them yell "misogyny" over and over.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this helps some people understand why this movie isn't as well-liked by us, instead of having them yell "misogyny" over and over.

Thank you very much!

I sure hope so. It's a shame there are mysoginistic/homophobic people out there who have to ruin it for us, but I'd like to think most people will be understanding and won't automatically assume that just because you don't like the movie, you're a homophobe.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 19

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the one thing I know about the plot... have you ever seen a movie where they go with such a PAINFULLY obvious "twist" that it would've been way more surprising (and just plain better) if they HADN'T done it? Like something so obvious, you really can't even call it a "spoiler" if you find out about it ahead of time?

J_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By J_Normal

Eh i liked it. To each their own. Id rather have the Illuminati killed off then have them than drag out the film anymore considering they’ll have their own moments to shine in their own films.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything everywhere all at once: didn't know this was a thing until I saw you mention it in your review. Looks cool.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_normal: I would’ve rather they just not be in the movie at all 🤷🏽‍♂️

CocaColaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm. I actually had much higher respect for this movie. Sadly I haven't been in the review mindset or I'd already have mine up.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone else think it would've been better if strange echoed the ancient one and told America to surrender to control as he does rather than generic "kick her butt" speech? Every other Strange for some reason thought they could use her powers at will, but why would they be so sure? Maybe because they worked similarly to the mystic arts

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 krisbishop  Moderator

Does anyone else think it would've been better if strange echoed the ancient one and told America to surrender to control as he does rather than generic "kick her butt" speech? Every other Strange for some reason thought they could use her powers at will, but why would they be so sure? Maybe because they worked similarly to the mystic arts

Dang, that would've been so much better. A great callback, and without having to do the cliche "have faith" trope.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lately it seems like you and I never agree on movies my friend.

Sad to see you didn't like the movie.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor-parker: I’ve been noticing that haha. Hopefully Love and Thunder changes that

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@thor-parker: I’ve been noticing that haha. Hopefully Love and Thunder changes that

Yeah, I hope we both love it haha.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually wasn't particularly hyped for this movie at all. Trailers looked good but idk, I feel like I'm tired of Marvel films. Thor Love and Thunder looks good though.

Nice review as per usual :)

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually wasn't particularly hyped for this movie at all. Trailers looked good but idk, I feel like I'm tired of Marvel films. Thor Love and Thunder looks good though.

Nice review as per usual :)

Thank you! Curious to hear your thoughts about Love and Thunder.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BullPR
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BullPR

@theamazingspidey: by main vilain I hope you are referring to the responsible for the end/destruction of at least two full Universes and not the one that killed a few dozen of people?

:-)

I hated everything in the origin, development, conclusion and even identity of the official villain.

But my main concern is obviously the lack of impact on the final outcome of the artifact that everyone was looking for and that is the main plot of the movie.

Imagine Thanos able to destroy half the uinverse without using the infinity stones.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35  Edited By owie  Moderator

I agree with a lot of your points--well written and persuasive review!

I feel like Doc Strange has if anything gotten less interesting as a character, or at least he's less someone you'd want to spend time with. He's just kind of grouchy and arrogant, with a few laughs here and there. They need to make us care about him. We don't need to like him, but if someone else took over as sorcerer supreme and we never saw Strange again, it wouldn't bother me at all. Not that Cumberbatch isn't a good actor; his character is just kind of semi-grating over time.

And I also agree that the multiverse could have used more madness.

Also, great to have another new front page article!

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: Thank you very much! And I definitely agree with you about Strange’s character. I loved him in Infinity War, but in every other movie he’s either bland at best or annoying at worst.

And it’s an honour to finally get a review of mine on the front page :D

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely agree

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alextheboss: I’ve been surprised by the amount of people who do TBH

Trolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

<a href="https://tascoop.com">Tascoop</a>

Trolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

<a href="https://tascoop.com">Tascoop</a>

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrsunshine110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When does Blu-ray quality come in?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lazerbeak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: awesome review, and well I’m disappointed in this film. Chavez’s acting is very slow, disappointing and pathetic, Wong’s, acting was just bland and heartless and as for Wanda she has great acting but like you said, at the end. This plot was really just generic with The Whole “Wanda finds kids, finds out she bad and saves the multiverse” which was bland imo. MCU has gone downhill since infinity saga since they had Civil War, Winter Soldier, Ragnorok, Infinity War, Endgame etc. Hopefully Thor 4 will be great as I’m more hyped for that film.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@lazerbeak: Agree with just about everything you said. And I am so damn excited for Love and Thunder!

lazerbeak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazerbeak: Agree with just about everything you said. And I am so damn excited for Love and Thunder!

Glad to hear it! Hopefully L&T hits our expectations but this time no need for cameos.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazerbeak: I really hope they don’t do a Loki cameo. Love the character but I’ve gotten tired of their overreliance on him.

lazerbeak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazerbeak: I really hope they don’t do a Loki cameo. Love the character but I’ve gotten tired of their overreliance on him.

Agreed, as much as I actually enjoyed the show it had quite a bit of flaws and imo Loki was kinda mid there. But I love his character due to his other films he was in. Hopefully no cameos here

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool review, May disagree heavily with it, but I enjoyed the read.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cool review, May disagree heavily with it, but I enjoyed the read.