TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

TAS Reviews: Black Adam

A few months ago, I had a dream about Black Adam. That the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson led anti-hero flick (which I remember first hearing about a decade ago) came out, and it was absolutely terrible. Now having seen the movie, I'm starting to think that dream of mine wasn't a dream. It was a vision. A glimpse into the future. Because Black Adam is one of the worst superhero movies of the modern age - a generic, vapid and uninspired star vehicle that feels less like a movie and more like a product, completely devoid of passion and made with nothing more than a desire to stroke The Rock's ego and fill the pockets of the Warner Bros executives with cash. It is dreadful, and there's quite a few reasons why, and this review is late enough as it is, so without any further ado, let's get into it.

No Caption Provided

One of the most surprising things about Black Adam is just how long it takes for the titular anti-hero to arrive on the screen. In unconventional fashion, The Rock doesn't appear until about 15 minutes into the movie. Which in itself isn't a non-starter idea, if what we were watching was genuinely interesting. Unfortunately for us poor audience members, this section of the movie is so boring and meandering, that you as an audience member check out of the movie mentally at an absolute record speed, and you're left begging for The Rock to grace the screen with just an ounce of his charisma to relive you from this painful watching experience, in the same way one's mouth would wish for just a drop of water while stranded on an island. And once The Rock pops up on the screen - donning the iconic lightning bolt on his chest - it isn't much of the relief that one might've hoped for. All jabs about his ego aside, I'm generally a fan of The Rock as an actor, and his charisma alone has been enough to make an otherwise generic movie such as Hobbs & Shaw into quite an entertaining watch, and I'd hoped this would've been the case with Black Adam. Unfortunately, we get a Rock who has been drained of any single ounce of charisma and personally he usually brings to the big-screen. He feels like The Rock in face and body only, but not in soul. Quite honestly, seeing his performance in this movie reminded me of that episode of Black Mirror where people manage to replicate the bodies of their lost loved ones, but only end up with a physical version without any soul.

No Caption Provided

Then again, The Rock's performance compliments the script in its own, very unique way. Because his soulless line delivery is met with one of the most soulless scripts I've seen in a modern blockbuster. The people in this movie only speak in two different modes: either spouting forced and ham fisted exposition, or dropping cheesy one-liners written by an aspiring 11-year-old writer. The best comparison I can make is that the dialogue in this movie reminded me of the dialogue I jotted down into my fan-fiction comics when I was a toddler. Thankfully, I know you haven't read any of those, but you can probably guess just how badly written those were. The worst offender (or victim, depending on the way you look at it) of the stock-photo esque dialogue is a child character whose name I can't remember, and who is referred to as "the kid" in just about every reaction and review I've read or watched about this movie. Which feels appropriate, because the character does little more than say terrible, cringe-worthy dialogue that feels like an artificial intelligence trying to estimate how a fan-boy kid would talk, but in actuality is the product of a DC executive or producer saying "we need to put a fan-boy character in here to appeal to the kids!" I couldn't help but feel bad for the kid playing him because, far be it from me to judge a kid for not being able to pass on a role in a DC blockbuster, but it feels like it should've never been offered to him in the first place. In terms of character, there is an attempt at a character arc in this movie, but ultimately, it's all pointless by the end of the movie, and any subtle change the character undergoes is born from generic pep-talks that aren't at all supported by actions. It's all tell, no show.

No Caption Provided

For all my gripes about DC's cinematic universe, it is inarguable that they have operated at a league above their peers visually. While Marvel movies, for all their strengths, are generally characterised with bland colour palettes and a lack of dimension, DC movies offer interesting colour palettes and are full of shadows. This cannot be said about Black Adam, which is at best, visually inconsistent, and at worst, an assault on the eyes. There are two timeline's in the movie - a past and a present one - and the movie attempts to differentiate between the two with the use of difficult colour palettes and filters. And while the present day colour palette isn't absolutely dreadful, the visuals for the flashbacks are unbelievably worst than anything the mind could even conjure. To say it looks like a student film would feel too kind. Yet visuals aren't the only technical area in which the movie falls short, because the editing of the movie is equally as egregious, with certain scenes shot and edited like a quirky scene from a Guardians of The Galaxy movie, which feels at odd's with the tone of the rest of the movie, which for the most part feels like Zack Snyder's 300. Rest assured, the movie also has a bunch of forced throwback 70s/80s needle-drops which feel like they are only inserted into the movie to replicate the way Gunn masterfully uses throwback songs in projects such as Guardians of The Galaxy and Peacemaker. This isn't the only derivative aspect of the movie, because there are a bunch of unfunny and bland jokes which feel like a blatant attempt to cash in on the over-abundance of jokes and quirks in the Marvel crop of superhero movies. Even Black Adam himself starts cracking jokes at a certain point, and it all feels very forced, worsened by Dwayne's lifeless delivery.

No Caption Provided

Though the strengths of this movie are far and few in between, there are some admittedly stunning action sequences that look unlike anything I've seen in an action movie, and as far as action goes, this movie is one of the best superhero movies in terms of focusing on how super-powered individuals interact with their environment around them in the midst of action. With Black Adam supposedly being an anti-hero, it is satisfying to see how far the filmmakers were able to push the PG-13 rating and give us some genuinely brutal kills. While resistance generally strengthens action, I genuinely believe the best moments of this movie are when Black Adam is effortlessly tearing through enemies who pose no threat to him. As a matter of fact, it's one of the few, rare instances of this movie being genuinely entertaining. It is also a load of fun to see Black Adam fight against the superhero team the Justice Society of America, whose powers are as visually stunning as anything can possibly be when set against this ugly colour palette. But this brings me to my ultimate final point about this movie.

In many ways, Black Adam presents itself as the anti-thesis of the superhero genre. The subversive, cool-kid on the block who listens to The Beatles while complaining that everyone at their school listens to Drake. The marketing - both in terms of trailers and interviews - has drummed us over the head with this idea that Black Adam is not a hero. He is an anti hero. And more so, the main conflict of the movie is built around this idea - that the Justice Society of America are a group of righteous heroes who want to put a stop to the mad man Black Adam, who just can't stop killing people. The problem lies within the fact this movie is nowhere near as subversive or anarchist as it thinks it is. After all, Iron Man kills. Captain America kills. Hell, even within DC's own universe - we've seen Batman kill.

We've even had a Superman who kills. The idea of a superhero who kills is far from a subversive idea, so when the soundtrack in the movie grinds to a halt as Black Adam drops a line about how he (unlike the other lame heroes), is willing to kill, just ends up falling flat. Particularly when the people he's killing are the scum of the Earth. Though marketed as the rockstar superhero movie, Black Adam is the most predictable superhero movie I've watched in a while, whether we're talking about predicting certain scenes and story turns, or even predicting certain lines before the character says. The most surprising moment of the movie likely would've been the after-credits scene, if only The Rock didn't advertise and spoil the after-credits scene in just about every talk show in America. So by the time the after-credit's scene finishes, I'm not surprised at the thing I'm meant to be in awe about. I'm just shocked at how forced and contrived the whole thing, which could've been an exciting moment on paper, ended up being.

Conclusion

No Caption Provided

I've heard Black Adam often described as being the most "generic" superhero movie made. Though I found the movie painful, I have to disagree with this description. Because Black Adam is quite unique. No superhero movie I've seen in a while has been quite this lifeless. No superhero movie I've seen in a while was as difficult to look at with my bare eyes. No superhero movie I've watched in a while has dialogue that feels like it was stitched together by the director's 8 year old kid. No superhero movie is as predictable and far and few in between in surprises as this one. Black Adam is quite unique, indeed. For all the wrong reasons. I mentioned earlier that I had a dream about Black Adam being terrible, and that the more I thought about it, I felt like that dream might've as well been a vision. I retract that statement. Because this movie is honestly more terrible than my widest dreams or predictions could've imagined. And for that, I have to salute it.

Score: 3/10

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Ouch! Brutal review but extremely well written and thoughtful as always.

I thought the dynamic between the kid and BA was a poor attempt at copying Terminator 2.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2 krisbishop  Moderator

Harsh review but honestly, agreed on most areas.

I enjoyed it well enough though by treating it as a simple superhero action flick (alike to Love & Thunder). And Dr Fate was awesome.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:O

Always love your movie reviews

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By heiqn
Yeaheeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao

Reyne-TheAbyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, Black Adam. Or as I like to call it, a DC movie that we mostly spend watching the (anti)hero save one child over and over and over again...

...that I still somehow enjoyed more than any Phase 4 MCU movie except No Way Home.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the most surprising things about Black Adam is just how long it takes for the titular anti-hero to arrive on the screen.

Or how long it takes for this movie to actually get a villain.

I'd love to know who decided that this movie should be mostly spent watching Black Adam babysitting an idiot teenager, and having the same argument with the Justice Society like, 5 times.

And the easiest work around for this would be to simply have Ishmael die in the cave scene so he can come Sabbac then and actually have a main conflict from the get-go.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice review.

ScottyHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 122

Ouch. This review is brutal. Honestly, the only thing I cared to see in the movie was the end credits scene because it reassured us that Henry Cavill is still Superman. Everything else looks messy, I might wait for the DVD release unless I have friends who really want to see it in theaters.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: thank you very much.

And honestly, that is a great comparison. Except that dynamic in Terminator 2 is much better executed than the one here.

Kal_El_Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually enjoyed the movie but after reading your review I kind of agree and now I’m starting to hate it lmao.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually enjoyed the movie but after reading your review I kind of agree and now I’m starting to hate it lmao.

Hahaha. I'm torn between feeling guilty that I ruined the movie for you, or proud of myself for being able to do that. Either way, thank you!

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harsh, but I agree on many points.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, Black Adam. Or as I like to call it, a DC movie that we mostly spend watching the (anti)hero save one child over and over and over again...

...that I still somehow enjoyed more than any Phase 4 MCU movie except No Way Home.

Damn. You must've really been hating Phase 4, then.

SaiHuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

icec0ld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey:

BA was good and this review made zero sense. I would love to see the explanation as why none of those criticism came up during L&T review and many of them apply...MANY.

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icec0ld said:

@theamazingspidey:

BA was good and this review made zero sense. I would love to see the explanation as why none of those criticism came up during L&T review and many of them apply...MANY.

No Caption Provided

Great_Darkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hey, let's be honest, no one thought it would be good.

We just wanted it for feats lol

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icec0ld said:

@theamazingspidey:

I had my issues with L&T, but overall it had much, much more going for it than BA. The performances were genuinely solid, the humour for the most part landed and the visuals weren't egregious. Much more than I can say about Adam.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hey, let's be honest, no one thought it would be good.

We just wanted it for feats lol

I didn't expect it to be good, but I was shocked at just how bad it was.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After all, Iron Man kills. Captain America kills. Hell, even within DC's own universe - we've seen Batman kill.

Not to mention Thor himself!

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rajjarsalt

For Rock performances, who do you find more compelling, Black Adam or Maui?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Rock performances, who do you find more compelling, Black Adam or Maui?

Haven't watched Moana TBH, but it can't be any worse than this!

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After all, Iron Man kills. Captain America kills. Hell, even within DC's own universe - we've seen Batman kill.

Not to mention Thor himself!

Thanks for reminding me!

J_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brutally honest review and I agree.

Also find it weird how DCEU movies only need to be visually stunning to he considered amazing yet bot have a decent plot.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_normal said:

Brutally honest review and I agree.

Also find it weird how DCEU movies only need to be visually stunning to he considered amazing yet bot have a decent plot.

Thanks for reading!

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: You're a better analyst than I because I would never be able to draw comparisons from Black Adam to Terminator 2. Lol.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised you actually went and bothered to review this movie.

I literally just came back from seeing it, and I found it god awful.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: sorry you hated it as much as I did.

As for watching it…. I watch just about every superhero movie. To my memory, the only ones I skipped were New Mutants and Morbius.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: If this isn't on Suicide Squad (2016) or Josstice League level then I don't know what is.

NovaPrime2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree on some points but 3/10 is too harsh.

NovaPrime2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are your thoughts on each JSA member?

Avatar image for deactivated-64232b99e9c14
deactivated-64232b99e9c14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does this guy's review matter again?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: If this isn't on Suicide Squad (2016) or Josstice League level then I don't know what is.

Suicide Squad (2016) was still worse. Josstice League might've been a bit better.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does this guy's review matter again?

I ask myself the same thing!

What are your thoughts on each JSA member?

Doctor Fate was dope. Loved Brosnan's performance and his powers were cool. Hawkman was fine, but was dealt some pretty terrible dialogue. Atom Smasher was fun visually, but character wise felt too much like discount Marvel and I was constantly distracted by how much his mask looked like Deadpool. As for the other member whose name I can't remember... she was quite lame and I can't remember a single thing she did in the movie.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey:

Ima huge Thor fan and I cant get over the issues with L&T to give it a 9. Tho I can see how you got there.

I also think Black Adam woulda been a really good movie if it was simply about Hawkman and Dr strange trying to fight the inevitable.

Everything revolving Black Adam and Khandahk or whatever it's called was awful.

The action was top tier except the final battle. CGI was atrocious.

Cant believe how bad Rock's acting was.

The script utterly failed. How in the world do you botch such excellent source material?

Dr Fate was simply fantastic.