• 100 results
Avatar image for theamazingspidey
Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

TAS Reviews: Avengers Endgame

As a dude who is only 18 years young, the MCU has been the apex of my childhood as far as cinema and entertainment goes. I saw the first Iron Man in theatres when I was 8, and in the past 11 years, I've grown with these characters and this world. Regardless of your opinion on the MCU as a collection of films, what Disney and Marvel has accomplished in 11 years, taking mostly B and C-list heroes and turning them into household names, has been one of the boldest, most impressive experiments and accomplishments in cinematic history.

No Caption Provided

When I was watching Endgame, it hit me at numerous stages that I was witnessing the most anticipated movie of all time, but more than that, I was watching the closing chapter to a family I've grown with for the better part of my entire life. I tried to leave my expectations at the door going into this movie, but there's no denying that there's a lot riding on this movie in terms of satisfyingly delivering a satisfying conclusion to the Infinity Saga we've been following for 11 years, a continuation of Infinity War's storyline, and also delivering on the spectacle and the hype behind the most anticipated movie of all time. In a lot of ways, watching Endgame feels like the apex of all of the character building in the MCU for the past 11 years.

Seeing The Avengers win time and again made their loss in Infinity War all the more shocking, and in Endgame, the Russo Brothers do a fantastic job showing the devastating impact of this loss on the heroes. Not only how they deal with the fallout of Infinity War's events as a collective, but how they deal with loss and grief as individuals. The movie is rife with fantastic, mature instances of drama, and a handful of emotionally charged interactions between the fellow heroes.

No Caption Provided

Markus and McFeely's script leads to some terrific performances from the entire ensemble, most of who are at their absolute best in this movie. If you thought Robert Downey Jr was exemplary in Civil War and in the first Iron Man, he somehow manages to top both of these performances with his performance in this film. Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo give it their all, and it's incredible how you can feel the weight of their character arcs in their performances. One of my favourite things about the MCU is the interactions between heroes, and there is an abundance of that in Endgame, from further-explorations of character dynamics from previous films, in addition to interactions and pairings we haven't seen in previous films.

No Caption Provided

Not only do the filmmakers deliver on new pairings between characters, they also deliver on new-iterations of characters we already know. I absolutely love what they've done with Hawkeye in this movie, and I adored the new direction they took with Bruce Banner in this movie, and a beautiful thing about both of these is that although they're new interpretations of these characters, they feel like natural progressions of these characters. Paul Rudd also fit fantastically in this ensemble, and Captain Marvel, who I was a little iffy on in her first film, is utilised perfectly here.

No Caption Provided

This isn't a perfect movie, and it is missing that aspect of perfectionism I've come to expect from The Russo Brothers. Without naming names, there is a character who I loved in past movies, but in this movie, the Russo's made them absolutely pathetic, and it's disappointing to see such handling of a character, particularly in such a pivotal moment in the MCU. The handling of this character represents the level of gravitas in this movie, in that, it is one of the more serious, emotional MCU movies, but it carried less gravitas and less intensity than Avengers: Infinity War, which surprised me considering this movie had even greater hype and I'd argue greater stakes than leads me to still prefer that movie a little bit more Endgame. However, where this movie is missing on the craftsmanship and attention to detail in that movie, it does compensate with a bigger heart and deeper emotional resonance. It's a movie that does a beautiful job delivering on the task of taking 11 years worth of storytelling, and delivering a satisfying conclusion. It's a monumental task, but the Russo Brothers, Markus and McFeely accomplish this by distilling the MCU into it's most thematically significant parts, instead of just cramming in as many fan-service moments as possible.

Thankfully, there is a glorious amount of fan-service within this movie, but it is beautiful and appropriate every step of way. The movie alternates between delivering on jaw-dropping, fan-service scenes and tear-inducing scenes, and it's just three hours of that for the entire movie, yet it still works because we've grown so attached to these characters throughout these past 11 years, and because of that: scenes that could've come across as the directors ticking boxes off of a fan-service checklist, carry profound emotional significance, and feel like they were truly earned.

I know this is subjective, but I live in Australia, and I can count on one hand how many times people have clapped in theatres, and this movie had multiple scenes which had audiences erupting in cheering and clapping. In addition to this, I can count the amount of movies that have made me cry on one finger, and this movie made me shed tears and straight up cry. It's not just the big emotional moments that did this to me, but even smaller moments and dialogue exchanges made me tear up, and it wouldn't have been possible without the immense emotional connection I've formed with these characters, and the absolutely terrific performances from the cast in delivering these lines.

Conclusion

No Caption Provided

The important question for me going into Avengers: Endgame was "can the filmmakers make me feel rewarded for following these characters for the past 11 years?" The Russo's mostly accomplish this in flying colours, crafting a movie with an impeccable understanding of not only these characters, but the thematic significance of these movies. Thanks to Endgame, the MCU feels more complete than ever now. The MCU will go on to explore new stories and unexplored areas of the universe, and even revisiting familiar territory in different ways (including a Black Widow film next year), and I suspect I will watch with curiosity, but watching Endgame felt like turning the page on this iteration of the MCU I hold so dear to myself. Something that inspired me, and inspired the stories I told. Something that inspired and shaped the way I watch movies. And I couldn't help but shed tears as I left this movie, saying goodbye to something that defined so much of my childhood. If you've been as invested in the MCU as I have been for the past 11 years, I'm almost certain you will too.

Score: 9.5/10

Avatar image for purpledeadragon
#1 Posted by PurpleDeaDragon (2186 posts) - - Show Bio

Great review. I will watch Endgame tomorrow with my Sister and cousins. I am glag you liked this movie. I respect your opinion.

#2 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

Great review. I will watch Endgame tomorrow with my Sister and cousins. I am glag you liked this movie. I respect your opinion.

Thank you very much! Hope you and your family enjoy it. Feel free to pop back into this thread again after you watch it - I'm interested in knowing what you think :)

#3 Posted by MonsterStomp (36974 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually liked Infinity War better. Just got back home from seeing it.

#4 Posted by Amcu (17067 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome review.

#5 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp said:

I actually liked Infinity War better. Just got back home from seeing it.

I'm pretty sure I liked IW better too, but the emotional impact of this movie edges out anything in Infinity War. This movie will certainly be more polarising than IW.

#6 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

Awesome review.

Thank you heaps!

#8 Posted by MonsterStomp (36974 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Yeah I can agree with that in terms of emotional impact.

I didn't think anything would top Gamora's death in IW but somehow two unlikely characters did.

#9 Posted by mrmonster (15975 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice review. I know I say that about pretty much all of your reviews, but that's because you write bomb reviews.

#10 Posted by mrmonster (15975 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and 1 small question: I've been hearing that the movie has no post credits scene, is that true?

#11 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@balancedtruth: that's wonderful and you're entitled to your opinion, but could you please spoiler block the second line in your comment? I know you're trying to be vague, but still.

#12 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: Thank you. I appreciate the support! And yes, there is no post credits scene, and it felt very appropriate.

Avatar image for jimjaspers20675
#13 Posted by JimJaspers20675 (308 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and 1 small question: I've been hearing that the movie has no post credits scene, is that true?

Unfortunately yes, there's no point in waiting for the post credit scene, there is none, no big reveal either.

#14 Posted by mrmonster (15975 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: Thank you. I appreciate the support! And yes, there is no post credits scene, and it felt very appropriate.

@mrmonster said:

Unfortunately yes, there's no point in waiting for the post credit scene, there is none, no big reveal either.

Good. If this movie were a 2 or 2 and a half hours, that would disappoint me, but since this movie is 3 hours, I'm actually relieved.

#15 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

Great reviews. Going to watch it tomorrow.

#16 Posted by godzilla44 (7588 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing it tm, I can't wait.

#17 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

Great reviews. Going to watch it tomorrow.

Thank you! I hope you like it.

#18 Posted by TheVVitchKing (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the score

#19 Posted by Ianosm (187 posts) - - Show Bio

Great review. Could I ask though about the character you said the handling of made them pathetic? Could you even say in spoiler blockers because I am curious to know who you mean.

#20 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@ianosm said:

Great review. Could I ask though about the character you said the handling of made them pathetic? Could you even say in spoiler blockers because I am curious to know who you mean.

Thank you! And sure. The character is:

Thor.

#21 Posted by Ianosm (187 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@ianosm said:

@theamazingspidey: Thanks! I guess that was the case...disapointing stuff....

Have you seen the movie already?

#23 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5173 posts) - - Show Bio

I’ll simply ask this, would you say this is the “Return of the King”, in regards to both MCU and Superhero Movies?

#24 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@mike_fowler said:

I’ll simply ask this, would you say this is the “Return of the King”, in regards to both MCU and Superhero Movies?

Hm.... I'll answer that but could you please tell me what you mean when you say "Return of the King." I obviously know what movie you're referencing, but I'm curious what you mean by it, to best answer that.

#25 Posted by Darkthunder (3225 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by GateOfBabylon (4599 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor.

I absolutely agree.

It was fine at the start to play it for laughs, but keeping that through the movie was too much.

They also butchered Hulk as well imo. That character was essentially useless through the film, even more so than in Infinity War.

#27 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:

Thor.

I absolutely agree.

It was fine at the start to play it for laughs, but keeping that through the movie was too much.

They also butchered Hulk as well imo. That character was essentially useless through the film, even more so than in Infinity War.

EXACTLY. I was fine with the character being that way at first, but I legit thought it would just be a one/two-scene thing and it would move on. Even later on in the movie, I was still holding out hope that we would see this character done justice again by the end of the movie, but to go into the third act and STILL have the character be that way was genuinely disappointing.

Disagree with you on Hulk though. Absolutely loved him. But it was a very drastic approach so I don't blame you :)

#29 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5173 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: I remember that you’re (relatively) young, so I’ll just say, what I mean by “Return of the King” is, Would you describe this movie as a defining movie for both Comic book films and the MCU? The movie that is able to cap off an amazing franchise and become a defining point for the genre it’s a part of?

#30 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm.

#31 Posted by kiba (3743 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: does the "pathetic" character get any redeeming moments before the film ends?

#32 Edited by GateOfBabylon (4599 posts) - - Show Bio

Disagree with you on Hulk though. Absolutely loved him. But it was a very drastic approach so I don't blame you :)

Don't get me wrong, I still loved that character, but I really wished that he did more in this film.

Arguably all he did was try to make a time machine and fail and snap to bring everyone back because he had a high enough durability. I guess I'm also a bit disappointed partly because I wanted him to go full World Breaker Hulk out of rage for Natasha's death.

#33 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: I remember that you’re (relatively) young, so I’ll just say, what I mean by “Return of the King” is, Would you describe this movie as a defining movie for both Comic book films and the MCU? The movie that is able to cap off an amazing franchise and become a defining point for the genre it’s a part of?

The jury's out, but I definitely think Avengers: Endgame will be, alongside The Dark Knight and the first Avengers movie, regarded as a defining point of the superhero genre. It truly feels like a milestone and a culmination of this insane MCU experiment up to this point, and it's fabulous to see everything payoff. That said, although I think Endgame will be a milestone within it's own genre, I don't predict it will have the same impact as Return of the King on cinema as a whole.

The entire LoTR trilogy are not only considered good films, but are considered some of the greatest filmmaking accomplishments of cinematic history from a worldbuilding, storytelling, VFX, action and visuals standpoint, among other things. Even as a tremendous fan of the MCU, I can't deny those movies aren't nearly as groundbreaking from a filmmaking standpoint as LoTR, and a noteworthy portion of the film community still considers the MCU as being "mostly competent, occasionally solid, but never outstanding" movies. And I don't think Endgame will change that for those people. I can't see someone who isn't fond of the MCU loving Endgame, especially considering how much it relies on previous character dynamics, character arcs and thematics from previous MCU films.

Hope that answers your questions :)

#34 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:

Don't get me wrong, I still loved that character, but I really wished that he did more in this film.

Arguably all he did was try to make a time machine and fail and snap to bring everyone back because he had a high enough durability. I guess I'm also a bit disappointed partly because I wanted him to go full World Breaker Hulk out of rage for Natasha's death.

Natasha's death is another thing that disappointed me in this movie but considering it's one of the biggest spoilers in the movie, I wasn't able to discuss it. Honestly felt a little unnecessary, and it felt like they skimmed over it.

#35 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@kiba said:

@theamazingspidey: does the "pathetic" character get any redeeming moments before the film ends?

Without a doubt. They do get awesome scenes. But because a big aspect of the patheticness is with their presentation in the movie, you can't help but think how much more awesome those scenes would've been without it.

#36 Posted by RavenVice01 (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by Stormdriven (17975 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn you, now I have to buy a ticket to see it a day earlier

#39 Posted by King-Ragnar (4471 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no way to review this movie without spoiling it. Go see it. It is worth all three hours of your time.

#40 Posted by Asgaard (4551 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably the first Mcu movie that i struggled to enjoy... Not saying that is a bad movie But Yeah...

In terms of pace and tone the movie is inferior to its prequel...

I just can't find any kind of reasoning for Thor's characterization... Even if his arc was left open... Who is going to care for this version of the character anyway?

Definitely not the way that i wanted to leave the comic book bubble...

#41 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn you, now I have to buy a ticket to see it a day earlier

You won't regret it.

Avatar image for chicago_bastard
#42 Posted by chicago_bastard (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@gateofbabylon said:
@theamazingspidey said:

Natasha's death is another thing that disappointed me in this movie but considering it's one of the biggest spoilers in the movie, I wasn't able to discuss it. Honestly felt a little unnecessary, and it felt like they skimmed over it.

Why do you think it was unnecessary?

Btw, cool review.

#43 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard said:

Probably the first Mcu movie that i struggled to enjoy... Not saying that is a bad movie But Yeah...

In terms of pace and tone the movie is inferior to its prequel...

I just can't find any kind of reasoning for Thor's characterization... Even if his arc was left open... Who is going to care for this version of the character anyway?

Definitely not the way that i wanted to leave the comic book bubble...

Infinity War is almost certainly the better of the two films, TBH.

As for the second half of your comment, I couldn't agree more. You hit the nail on the head. Ragnarok and Infinity War did a splendid job reinventing the character, and leaving Endgame, I just thought what they did with him was absolutely dreadful and I hope we can just ignore it in the next movie and pretend like it never happens. If we get another movie with hobo, bogan Thor, you can count me out. It felt so out of place for a movie like Endgame, the conclusion to the Infinity Saga, to have some deflated, caricature of a character running around for the entire movie. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Let's hope it's just a one-off thing, because even that was more than enough.

#44 Posted by Laurus (1628 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey:

They ruined Thor, made Cap Marvel so powerful a headbut from Thanos literally didn't do anything, had an obligatory feminism all female team up moment, killed off my favorite character (not holding that against the film per-sey), and killed off another character they could have used in future films, and will struggle to now.

The fan service with Cap and Mjolnir felt a little, too out of nowhere, if you know what I mean.

There's a whole host of other things I could get into, like Thor being depowered for some reason, I mean he seemed weaker with Mjolnir and Stormbreaker than he was in IW.

Odin would have been nice, but we can't have everything I guess. Some characters were severely underused in my opinion, like The Black order (they got killed to easily too).

Some characters are now just far too overpowered, like the aforementioned Danvers, Scarlet Witch seemed overpowered as well.

Oh and what about Vision? Did they not even try to repair him? Is he still in WakaWaka land?

I don't know what I was expecting really, but I thought it would be at least as good as Infinity War.

I am also 18, and like you the MCU has played a large role in my childhood, but I can say right now that this film has severely damaged my enthusiasm for upcoming MCU films.

#45 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:
@gateofbabylon said:
@theamazingspidey said:

Why do you think it was unnecessary?

Btw, cool review.

@chicago_bastard: Thank you! Wall of text below explaining why I found that scene unnecessary.

Natasha's death in this movie is the perfect example of how you can take a scene that could make logical sense, and still make it feel unnecessary and self-indulgent. In theory, "Thanos needed to make a sacrifice to utilise the soul stone, and so did the heroes" makes perfect-sense, but in practice, the entire thing left a poor taste in my mouth. First off, the scene felt like a cheap imitation of what made Gamora's death so impactful in the first film, all the while muddying up the logic established in Vormir. All I could remember was Han Solo saying "that's not how the sacrifice force works!"

Let's look at the premise of the soul stone as is set up in Infinity War:

You might say it has a certain wisdom. To ensure that whoever possesses it... understands its power... the stone demands a sacrifice. Of what? In order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. A soul... for a soul.

Since the stone reverts to Clint, it's safe to assume that he is the individual who is deemed to have made the sacrifice. What exactly did Clint's sacrifice entail? Well, it was barely a sacrifice on his end at all. It entailed Natasha sacrificing herself, and Clint letting go after barely holding onto her when she was already halfway off the cliff. Now, a lot of people would argue that "well, even if Clint isn't the one who sacrificed Natasha, it's still a soul for a soul, and Clint did lose that which he loves." That's true to an extent, but you also need to remember that the sacrifice needs to be made by the individual who hopes to possess the ring. Hence why Gamora tries to commit suicide in Infinity War, and why Thanos prevents her from doing so, and instead kills her himself. Assuming Clint did deliberately let go of Natasha when he easily could've helped her back up, what was his other choice? Helping her up and then continuing to beat the shit out of each other until he forces her to kill him? It seems the Russo's forgot the parts about "understanding it's power", and the idea of "sacrifice", and just remembered the "soul for a soul" part.

In addition to this, the time, placement and treatment of the death was absolutely disrespectful to the Widow character. The movie places this death scene at a little over the halfway mark, when there's still tons of action left. Because of this, and because of the dense amount of narrative material in Endgame, what SHOULD be a monumental, emotional death of an OG Avenger, feels like nothing more than a pitstop. The heroes tear up about it a bit for two minutes, someone says a joke, and then they move on with the action. Compare this to the show-stopping farewells of Stark and Rogers, and it just wasn't given the attention and importance of those. In addition to that, the farewells to Cap and Tony were rooted in their character arcs of the past 11 years, Nat just..... dies on a cliff. In a movie that is supposed to deliver a satisfying conclusion of long-running arcs.

It's just "Black Widow died? Alright. Now let's get the show going."

#46 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16472 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey:

Without naming names, there is a character who I loved in past movies, but in this movie, the Russo's made them absolutely pathetic, and it's disappointing to see such handling of a character, particularly in such a pivotal moment in the MCU.

Can you tell me who this is ? This is the second time I've seen this mentioned, and I've only read two reviews.

Man, I hope it's not Thor, you mentioned everyone was great but you never mentioned Thor or Chris Hemsworth and I'm afraid that he is going to be wasted this movie.

No spoilers please, just tell me which character was wasted in your opinion ?

#47 Edited by Lan_Fan (16185 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Edited by Thor_Parker82 (16472 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: FFS....dude can't get a break, I just can't understand why the Russo bros would make bad use of him after the stellar part he had on IW.

#49 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16472 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Is there any way you could tell me why or how was Thor pathetic without spoilers ? The suspense is killing me

#50 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Is there any way you could tell me why or how was Thor pathetic without spoilers ? The suspense is killing me

Hard to navigate without spoilers, but basically, whereas IW had the perfect balance of the gravitas of Thor and the humour of Ragnarok, this movie turns him to a complete joke. The character himself is essentially a running gag. I can't believe they managed to squander him so badly.