SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN Announced

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Lois Lane is a more popular love interest for Superman than Wonder Woman is.
Lois Lane is a more popular love interest for Superman than Wonder Woman is.

This poll makes it clear whom the fans prefer.

Geoff Johns has said that Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship will "end badly."

And what is this relationship when Diana kissing with another man and Superman all the time thinking about Lois and jealous of her to her boyfriend?

No Caption Provided

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Hawkguy

This is gonna become a book about Wonder woman as she inevitably breaks up with superman and moves to the next superhero, and the next, and the next, and so forth... It'll be the "sex an the city" of the DC universe

Smurfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Smurfboy

Nice news!! Very interesting!!

Overkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

YES. YES. YES!!!

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Wonder Woman, but I think it's probably mostly because of Azzarello. I'll check out the first issue, but not sure how I feel about reading a series of Supes and WW making out all the time!

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#157  Edited By akbogert

I won't say "you couldn't pay me to read this," because I could use the money...but you'd probably have to pay me a lot.

A lot of folks in this thread have covered many of the objections I have. I actually want to read more Wonder Woman (her current book just didn't pull me in). Kind of like how I wanted to be reading more Superman, but wasn't really feeling the current books, but now I've bought and loved Unchained. Wonder Woman should be getting a second solo book (considering how many Clark & Bruce have to themselves, it really shouldn't be that tall of an order to have just one more Diana-centric title). Instead people praise this for finally giving her a new title, despite the fact that by having Superman in the book (and first in the title), the relative ratio hasn't actually shifted in her favor.

I want to be reading a strong Wonder Woman solo book with art I actually like, and I want to be reading Lois and Clark together. Right now DC's delivering neither, and so long as that continues to be the case I will continue to look like a Gotham fanboy by largely ignoring those portions of the trinity. It's not the characters that are the problem -- it's the way they're being handled. The fact that neither the Superman nor the Wonder Woman writers (particularly the latter) have given much attention to this relationship -- thereby necessitating a new book because DC is trying to force something even their own writers don't seem to find useful for good stories -- kind of presses the point. I know the Clark/Diana teamup has its fans, but it does seem that the people whose purse strings are fashioned from nostalgia are by and large ready to see this over.

Anyway, people are obviously on-board because there were enough responses in this thread that suggest some folks are excited.

But all the comments from people who just popped in here to mock/ridicule/dismiss people as "whiners" or "complainers"... how infuriatingly trite. It turns out it's possible to dislike something and have good reasons for doing so. Calling someone immature or whiny for objecting to something you like is just staggeringly disingenuous and sort of undermines any legitimate point you might try to make. I really don't get why people think they should be able to praise stuff without having to also hear an equal amount of people deride that thing with equal vehemence.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Must we?

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

DC is taking a page out of the Marvel playbook and starting to spam even more books with their more recognizable brands. Aside Unchained though, Superman books have been pretty bad. Maybe this will help.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

I honestly don't know what to say about this, but I know someone who can.

Batman?

No Caption Provided

xPeace

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

Lol all of these responses are either "Who the hell would read this?" or "I would totally read this."

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By ptigrusmagus

The amount of hate in the comments is amazing lol Lois in the New 52 is not good for Clark or Superman, its not just a matter of pairing up with WW to well books. Also omg forbid something new or different happen.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks interesting but what happens to Lois Lane and Steve Trevor?

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

NOOOOOOOOOO

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's about time! They are dating, and why should Batman have all the fun with Supes?

@sc said:

SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #1

Written by SOME GUY

Art and cover by THAT OTHER GUY

1:100 Scratch and Sniff variant cover by JIM LEE

On sale OCTOBER 5 • 32 pg, FC, $5.99 US • RATED T&A

Combo pack edition: $7.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with ten covers, with nine covers being SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN kissing and the last cover being SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN kissing with BATMAN watching. Please see the order form for more information. A new epic begins with the debut of this new, ongoing series! Don’t miss as we organically and naturally intertwine DC's biggest characters (after BATMAN) into one awkward hot mess of a situation. Like two magnets in a pod we explore the relationship of Swondy uh Wupes? As they embark on hilarious romantic hijinks. Guest starring Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Erica Durance, Snoop Dogg and Wolverine. This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

Why are their noses stuck together? Notice how Wonder Woman's lasso is trying to grab her sword in the back ground? It probably wants to perform a mercy killing. Don't leave me Demon Knights!!!!

LMAO!

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

May give this a try.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Cool! Its about time they move this relationship along...Also, sexy cover picture!

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next DC will be partnering up with Hallmark and making some lame ass Valentine cards.

I had some Marvel V-day cards in grade school, so this isn't really that absurd an idea, lol.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

I don't see this as giving Wonder Woman the respect she deserves, since the first announcement about this is about her romance with someone else, not about how the two work together to solve a major problem. As I have probably mentioned before, it is not respect of Wonder Woman to strap her to the arm of another character... Especially not one like Superman because eventually and probably most of the cases, he is going to have to save her and not the other way around.

The list:

• It's cliche and the mark of an alternate universe
  • It screws up two pairs of long established supportcasts
  • Lois Lane is now practically walking around with a massive target drawn on her face because this coupling makes her completely irrelevant. Steve's gotten the save by leading A.R.G.U.S.
  • It arrived out of Johns' inorganic writing, no build up, no nothing, it just happened.
  • It's a massive middle finger from DC to Wonder Woman by reducing an icon of female independence to nothing more than someone else arm candy.
  • And obviously it's just DC reaching for the lowest hanging fruit in their tree.

I can't say I agree with any of this. It is possible for a female character to have a romantic relationship without being the 'arm candy'. And strong, independent woman does not mean one who is too strong for romance.

Exactly! And whose to say that Superman isn't the "arm candy" in the relationship or that there even is "arm candy" at all. And at one point Outside makes a comment about female characters not needing a man and being independent, and then tries to point out that Lois is pointless without Superman. Can't have it both ways.

All the point about there not being a build up before a relationship, I feel bad if every relationship Outside has ever had came with a ton of buildup. Most of my best romances came out of nowhere and completely blindsided me. Sometimes things just happen. No one is saying that these characters are going to be a couple forever and ruin years of other storyline, but damn; they're single, let them date.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Anyone thinks this series alone is DC jumping the shark and killing not only their company but the whole comic industry?

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By lifeofvibe
Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Piss on a stick! I hate the superman wonder woman thing. I might by this for the art though. I already dropped superman. I think I'm dropping action comics.and superman unchained wasn't all that great. I might get batman superman but I don't like the art so far... Ugh! What's with New 52 Superman? I seriously think smallville is the best superman book out right now.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol all of these responses are either "Who the hell would read this?" or "I would totally read this."

That's the internet man. Best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly! And whose to say that Superman isn't the "arm candy" in the relationship or that there even is "arm candy" at all.

They need to do at least one story where Clark needs saving and is the "damsel in distress". I'd definitely get that issue. That'd be a hilarious trope reversal. Besides, Clark is a sweetheart, and Diana is a maverick. It could work.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

I don't really understand folks (several of you) saying you hate the idea/story/pairing/etc. but will buy because of the art.

If this book sells well, there's not a single person at DC who will attribute it to the art. They will attribute it to "fans like this couple."

Just saying -- like what you will but try not to undermine your own opinion with your actions.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides the obvious issues with Superman and Wonder Woman being an awful, incestuous vibey couple and the complete shafting of Lois Lane despite her new resurgence in popularity following MoS, there's the fact that...

this sucks for Wonder Woman. Supposedly DC’s third largest character and the third member of their trinity, Wonder Woman has never had two monthly titles whereas Batman and/or Superman are usually sporting upwards of 9. So this does give Wonder Woman her first secondary monthly title. Which she shares with a man. Not just any man. The only man that can not only outshine her in popularity, but arguably in strength. The man that she is unfortunately dating. Superman. Wonder Woman is co-starring in a title as Superman’s Girlfriend. That’s basically what this title is: Superman’s Girlfriend, Wonder Woman.

Which is borderline blasphemous. And of course, we have Wonder Woman and superman awkwardly embracing in the rain on the cover image they released. Instead of maybe fighting together side by side? As superheroes? No? Just as a couple. A superhero romance story. Just what Wonder Woman fans would want…wait…

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@rustyroy: Have I told you how much I like you, RustyRoy? ;)

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mindblown

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supreme_Maj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Supreme_Maj

So Superman & Wonder woman are doing now like their clones Hyperion & Power Princess?

cool let see what is going to happen but is going to be odd when Sup will dump her for Lois, Sup is too much addicted to her like a junkie with his...............

HeavyWeight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just wondering when the break up will their relation turn Violent?

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmmm

dcguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By dcguy

It's not even sounds good for a team up title . Two power house , zero potential. Batman/Superman always works because it has balance but two similar character I'm not sure . And a romance title it's make even worse . What can they make? Fight after make out than fight after make out again .

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YESSSSS!

Wonder Woman is amazing and Superman is great. Who cares if they have a relationship or not?

duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hot

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

robenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By robenson

Great! Thanks DC!!! It's about time.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbecks14 said:

Besides the obvious issues with Superman and Wonder Woman being an awful, incestuous vibey couple and the complete shafting of Lois Lane despite her new resurgence in popularity following MoS, there's the fact that...

this sucks for Wonder Woman. Supposedly DC’s third largest character and the third member of their trinity, Wonder Woman has never had two monthly titles whereas Batman and/or Superman are usually sporting upwards of 9. So this does give Wonder Woman her first secondary monthly title. Which she shares with a man. Not just any man. The only man that can not only outshine her in popularity, but arguably in strength. The man that she is unfortunately dating. Superman. Wonder Woman is co-starring in a title as Superman’s Girlfriend. That’s basically what this title is: Superman’s Girlfriend, Wonder Woman.

Which is borderline blasphemous. And of course, we have Wonder Woman and superman awkwardly embracing in the rain on the cover image they released. Instead of maybe fighting together side by side? As superheroes? No? Just as a couple. A superhero romance story. Just what Wonder Woman fans would want…wait…

Or it could be called Wonder Woman's boyfriend: Superman. I think that your issues with this are more a reflection of your own views than those of the writer or DC. I love how everyone thinks Lois is being "shafted" simply because Superman is TEMPORARILY dating someone else.

HollowPrince65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm new to Superman as I only really fell in love with Unchained....what really happened with Clark and Louis? I'm not complaining against WW and SM but...I always thought that Clark and Louis were like...ALWAYS a thing.

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

next new 52 book - Batman/Wonder Woman

then later on in the new 52 - Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman

admit it is just a matter of time until it happens!

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm new to Superman as I only really fell in love with Unchained....what really happened with Clark and Louis? I'm not complaining against WW and SM but...I always thought that Clark and Louis were like...ALWAYS a thing.

And I think that's kind of the point. I believe that at some point Superman and Lois will be THE thing again. But with the relaunch it allowed the characters to be single and give writers the opportunity to do new things. So many people are freaking out as if the characters dating automatically lead to marriage and a bunch of little metahuman children. This is mostly just hostility left over from the 52 relaunch.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Lois seems to be pretty strong and independent, despite having to be saved from what are essentially gods on a regular basis. She continues to write (assumed) award winning articles and has taken over functional control of an entire company.

You also seem to be sending a mixed message. You seem to require Lois to be with Superman to be happy, where she constantly needs saving from situations that she and most any human for that matter, could not handle. Yet, you are also upset that she is not with Superman at this point. To me, it seems like there is just no way to please you on the matter of Lois.

I also think you are not giving writers any credit here. There are plenty of examples where Superman was the one that needed saving and I highly anticipate that will be the case in this new series, where he is with someone that is his physical equal. Personally (and I don't want to make a big deal out of this, it is just what I am assuming based on the posts you have made here), it seems like you are reading too much into this and are making a mountain out of a molehill on this issue. I get the impression you have absolutely no faith in WW as a character, to think that she can be nothing more than arm candy for another character.

Yes nothing of what she does registers to most people, because her enduring legacy is 'the girl who Superman saves'. That she wins awards for her work is a thrown away line when its actually mentioned. An example of this is the Superman TAS episode with Batman in it, Lois ends up in a plane that gets hijacked, she gets to give her name and the thug immediately goes: "The one Superman always saves?!"

I don't honestly care where Lois is or who she is with, fact remains that she is now a target DC can choose to kill without it all becoming the Injustice world... or any of the others where Lois has ended up dead. And perhaps you are right, there isn't, but you can thank DC for crippling her for decades.

No I generally dont give writers terribly much credit in advance because DC is mainly run by morons who has time and again stifled and crippled stories for some reason or another that makes sense only to them. Prime example is the Batman-books, it doesn't seem to matter half the books have nothing to with Batman or has even been guested by him, every story now told is an excuse for editorial to make it into some half-arsed event that only truly serves the Batman book, and cripples the efforts of half a dozen others to developing independence from it.

If Soule make this book more than what I think it will be, props, credit and fame to him. But I will have to see it before I believe it.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nope.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbecks14 said:

Or it could be called Wonder Woman's boyfriend: Superman. I think that your issues with this are more a reflection of your own views than those of the writer or DC. I love how everyone thinks Lois is being "shafted" simply because Superman is TEMPORARILY dating someone else.

But it's not Wonder Woman's Boyfriend Superman. If it was Steve Trevor or another love interest, then she wouldn't be second fiddle.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheBlackHood gets it

HollowPrince65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By HollowPrince65

@theblackhood: Ah. Makes sense. I remembered hearing about all this stuff when that JL issue came out. I think its cool and really fun that DC is wanting to try something new. I don't think theres anything wrong with that at all. If what someone said is true and that WW and SM are going to be on the outs at some point, it may be fun to see what a superhero break up between two mainstays in the JL would be like, especially since they always work together and are around each other.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Tacos_Kickass

Its just going to be Wonder Woman nagging at Superman all issue.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hollowprince65: Nope, if they break up, Supes is going to use his forget-me-kiss to make Wonder Woman forget that they ever dated. Then everything will just go back to normal.

Azura_Thena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes nothing of what she does registers to most people, because her enduring legacy is 'the girl who Superman saves'. That she wins awards for her work is a thrown away line when its actually mentioned. An example of this is the Superman TAS episode with Batman in it, Lois ends up in a plane that gets hijacked, she gets to give her name and the thug immediately goes: "The one Superman always saves?!"

I don't honestly care where Lois is or who she is with, fact remains that she is now a target DC can choose to kill without it all becoming the Injustice world... or any of the others where Lois has ended up dead. And perhaps you are right, there isn't, but you can thank DC for crippling her for decades.

No I generally dont give writers terribly much credit in advance because DC is mainly run by morons who has time and again stifled and crippled stories for some reason or another that makes sense only to them. Prime example is the Batman-books, it doesn't seem to matter half the books have nothing to with Batman or has even been guested by him, every story now told is an excuse for editorial to make it into some half-arsed event that only truly serves the Batman book, and cripples the efforts of half a dozen others to developing independence from it.

If Soule make this book more than what I think it will be, props, credit and fame to him. But I will have to see it before I believe it.

I don't think we should judge a character based on the ignorance of 'most people' though. Yes, she is saved often by Superman but really, so what? She is a human character that is(was) in a relationship with an all-powerful being who fights other all-powerful beings. The same thing happened when Wonder Woman dated Trevor Barnes. He was a damsel in distress until his ultimate demise but there was certainly more to the character than that. It is up to you as the reader to educate yourself on these characters, to find their role beyond the obvious.

All characters are a target in a comic book. From Spider-Man to Superman, no one is off limits to at least a temporary death. No one stays dead in comics so I don't understand why this is such a major problem.

Okay, you have a negative opinion of DC. That is fine. I don't share your opinion for the majority of the staff at DC though. Granted, things can always get better and lately, some of the stories have been less than impressive but here we have DC trying to do something new and you can't even extend them the benefit of the doubt? I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this subject. I loved Swamp Thing so I have full confidence in Soule.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

Well I really miss back when the New 52 was about giving small or fringe characters a chance to thrive. But this book doesn't sound like a terrible idea. Superman/Batman was a great series, and although the dynamic between those two characters is a little more unique than that of Superman and Wonder Woman, I can see this working.