superman and goku who's a better character

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By jumpstart55

Netheir as there both equal in my book. Superman gets the slight edge for being an older character,and plus since Goku was obviously inspired by Supes. But i honestly dont think Supes or Goku is better or worse then the other. Their just so different and come from such vastly different worlds and much different writing styles and stroylines thats a bit hard to compare. I mean ones a product of the Japanese manga market and the other the American comic book market, both markets are such miles apart in terms of almost everything especially story.

Avatar image for lelouchvibritannia
LelouchViBritannia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Goku is the Hero of Hero's. He's not OP like superman, much more likable, and he's far from perfect. He actually dies which is cool, rather than with superman battles; which more than likely will end up with him living.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They're both equal imo. I've been more interested in Superman lately, though. Probably because I know less about him than I do Goku. I need to rewatch DBZ sometime, though. I've forgotten a bit.

Bladewolf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Bladewolf2

Goku is a retard.

I take a good alien boy with actual formal education who uses his powers for good over a braindead hillbilly who doesnt give a shit about his family and only wants eat and fight

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman. If this was vegeta totally different story

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce:

Without superman no Goku? You realize Goku is based of Son Wukong from journey to the west right?

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44 said:

@heatforce:

Without superman no Goku? You realize Goku is based of Son Wukong from journey to the west right?

I do and where did the origin come from again about an alien, who's world was destroyed, was launched to earth as a baby and raised by the elderly? And then said alien becomes the world's greatest hero...

The parallels between Superman and Goku are obvious IMO.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce:

1) Gokus planet was destroyed, it didn't just blow up

2) Goku was sent to Earth to destroy it not to escape the planets doom

3) when Goku first got statrted he was just superhuman he wasn't like superman at all.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44 said:

@heatforce:

1) Gokus planet was destroyed, it didn't just blow up

2) Goku was sent to Earth to destroy it not to escape the planets doom

3) when Goku first got statrted he was just superhuman he wasn't like superman at all.

Come on bro. Superman has been around since 1938. Did you not see the parelles when you were typing your response? Naruto, Toriko, One Piece, HxH, etc. were all inspired, in some way, by Dragonball. I see more of Superman's origin in Dragonball than I do Goku in most other shonens that were inspired by his story.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce:

They only thing they have in common is that they're both aliens. That's it.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce: toriko sucks friend lol

The world building is great. The characterization is a bit weak tbh and I did sorta lose interest in Toriko after the timeskip but I wouldn't say it sucks IMO. I still plan on finishing it sometime. One thing I do appreciate about Toriko though: capture levels.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_man_with_questions said:

SpongeBob has had more character development then Goku.

This almost makes me want to start naming characters with better character development than Goku.

Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Robocop, and the T-800 from Terminator 2.

Anybody else want to chime in?

You should call Kenny Loggins. You're obviously in the Danger Zone.

Especially if you're implying Goku doesn't have character development, just because it happened when he was growing up in DB. Goku only has one version of himself, and he's an adult now.

He's gone through his developmental stage, same as Superman. Except Clark just keeps getting rebooted and or seen from a different Earth. Pre-Flashpoint Superman was a great character, despite not having changed arguably since the Infinite Crisis.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

@heatforce: I definitely like that we can get a sense of their levels. Ten fully trained and equipped soldiers per level, right?

I just can't stand how formulaic it is and Komatsu is so annoying.

As for OP: I think overall Superman has been a better, more inspirational, more humanizing character.

le0nhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a matter of opinion...

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku

Superman is a total snooze fest most of the time. Yes, he has good stories, but he has a lot of bad ones too. Like his name would suggest, he is a generic character with a strong moral compass, his moral compass is kinda stupid, but that's another topic. Writers don't know what to do with him. They think the only way to make him interesting is to make him batman, but then that makes him a total different character.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RisingBean

@scouterv: The "Pre Flashpoint" era is known as Post Crisis.

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: however it is a possitive correlation

numbers do mean a lot

by that logic keeping up with the Kardashians is probably the best show ever lol

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce: I definitely like that we can get a sense of their levels. Ten fully trained and equipped soldiers per level, right?

I just can't stand how formulaic it is and Komatsu is so annoying.

As for OP: I think overall Superman has been a better, more inspirational, more humanizing character.

Yes I beleive so. Another thing I appreciate is Toriko (the main character) is really smart. He's not perfect though. I was a little mad that he wasn't more upset when Ichiryu died.

Yeah Toriko has become a bit formulaic IMO.

BloodBlunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku for all except villain stories.

WeDrinkVodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku. Superman had its cool parts here and there, though.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who gives a sh*t.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who gives a sh*t.

You since you posted.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Superman, no contest, anyone who says otherwise is in deep blind denial. people don't watch db for the story or characters but for dumb action

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df
deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowjax: they could be in denial or they could just have different opinions and point of view than you.

different stokes for different folks.

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman,when written at his best is a more complex and interesting character.Having over 70 years of continuous comics,reboots,and reboots of reboots along with a wide supporting cast,Clark is a more relatable character.

However,I still like Goku more.People are wrong when they say Goku doesn't care about his friends or family,and that he's just a braindead manchild.Goku's simplicity is the beauty of his character,and he makes for a far more entertaining character than superman,who struggles due to over used ideas and is ultimately bland at times.

So think of it this way,a character from a classic piece of sophisticated literature may bring a very well written character to the table,but that character isn't necessarily liked over a more simple,yet unique fun character.

ShadowJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fat_hobo389: please, any anime fan knows dragon ball has a nothing story and bland characters, anybody who says otherwise is just virtue signalling for the sake trying to win arguments due to the competitive nature of dbz fans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowjax: that's partially true.

it's true that dbz fans don't watch it for characters or story but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have characters and character developments.

goku's character is like a pure hearted child like character , the other main characters like krillin, trunks, vegeta, gohan, piccolo all have their own traits as characters.

and you'll be surprised to see how much those characters have been developed into different characters.

so goku does have a character whether it is bland compared to superman or better character than superman that totally depends on personal opinions.

ShadowJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fat_hobo389: Typical goal post moving, this is about Goku's shit character not the other characters

Avatar image for dragonvegeta123
Dragonvegeta123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fat_hobo389: vegeta has the best character development in the franchise and the best backstory same with future trunks there the only two characters who are well written

Bardockdiaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story= Goku by virtue of actually being allowed to HAVE one,or at least one that ENDS.....

Villians in terms of destructive capabilities= Goku

Villains on terms of story= Superman

Friends/Allies= Superman because that includes the ENTIRE Justice League,the Titans,Young Justice,etc

Personality= No Comment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowjax: what goal post moving? you're the one who said dbz has bad story and bland characters in reply to which I gave the examples. you're the one who bought up the entire franchise in the first place.

and again whether goku's character is shit or not depends on a person's opinion.

sladerulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By sladerulez

fat_hobo389:Superman is a story about a god among men

Goku is a story of going beyond what you were meant to be.

Superman has certain weaknesses that make him human and changes him.

Goku's only real weakness is himself

Goku has never stopped fighting. He has always fought and never doubted himself. Superman has

Goku never takes the easy way out and always wants to see a person at the fullest potential.

just recently, Vegeta stated that they were nearing their limit, but goku didn't care. He wanted to be at his very best.

this is why Goku's a far better character to me.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they put no effort into writing goku lol

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#92  Edited By Yassassin

Kal. Even when I was into DB, I was really only in it for Krillin, Gohan, Piccolo, and Trunks, everyone else could suck it.

ShadowJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku fans constantly virtue signalling with the idea that he's trains like something as shallow as that makes him a good character

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read the thread because I'm positive it will send me into a rage. All I want to say is that they're both two of my favorite characters, but COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from an appeal standpoint. But I feel like Goku is going to get the short end of the stick, because 90% of U.S. residents don't properly get the character.

Son Goku is the modern embodiment of thousands of years worth of Asian culture and literature. He is by far one of the most unique, standout, and memorable protagonists there is. The amount of pure charm Akira Toriyama was able to give this character is outstanding. There are two extremes to the fanbase; those who grew up watching the FUNimation dub of DEE BEE ZEE on Toonami and think that Goku is an inspiring, do-gooding superhero who fights supervillains to techno music, and those who respond to that by taking the opposite extreme and try to portray Goku as some amoral sociopath. Neither is true, obviously. Goku is so much more complex -- yes I said complex -- then either bland description. To summarize, he is a man who clearly knows right from wrong and will always go out of his way to help people who need it, but his utter pure heartedness often comes across (mostly to those in the west because our culture differs so much from Asia) as either naivety, selfishness, callous disregard, or even downright stupidity.

He and Superman are similar in that when they're written on point, they are a positive joy. But when they fumble, things just get immensely boring.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: they don't get goku's character? or they don't want to get?

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman and Piccolo stomp both

Avatar image for purpledeadragon
PurpleDeaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2 said:

Batman and Piccolo stomp both

True... good they are giving Piccolo more screen time, I feel like he is not getting much love in Super.

Also, on topic, it depends, which version of Superman, and which version of Goku, because Goku in the manga is not the dumbass that the anime depicts.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearSinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers