superman and goku who's a better character

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hulkdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Me and my friend were arguing about who is a better character between goku and superman. So I wanted to see what other people had to say. Who has better stories, villains, friends/allies, and personality.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story= Goku

Villians in terms of destructive capabilities= Goku

Villains on terms of story= Superman

Friends/Allies= Goku because he grew up with most and the ones he didn't know are now his drive to become the best

Personality= Goku because Superman is boring and always does good. Goku knows that some people don't deserve to live, and (Injustice) Superman is crazy evil, all because his wife and kid died. Goku watched his best friends get beaten to death, his friend get blown up, shot through the heart, and he watched his son nearly die against multiple villians yet he still didn't go into his evil side

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Heatforce

@hulkdoom:

The better character is Superman for a few reasons but the biggest: without Superman there would be no Goku or at least not the same Goku. Goku's origin is similar to Superman and his character is similar to Son Wukong.

@hypnos0929 said:

Story= Goku

Villians in terms of destructive capabilities= Goku

Villains on terms of story= Superman

Friends/Allies= Goku because he grew up with most and the ones he didn't know are now his drive to become the best

Personality= Goku because Superman is boring and always does good. Goku knows that some people don't deserve to live, and (Injustice) Superman is crazy evil, all because his wife and kid died. Goku watched his best friends get beaten to death, his friend get blown up, shot through the heart, and he watched his son nearly die against multiple villians yet he still didn't go into his evil side

So wait, you are criticising Superman for being too good yet complaining that all injustice superman went through was the death of his wife and unborn kid and that somehow makes Goku morally superior? No,no you oversimplified a horrible situation. First off, the Joker puppeteered the situation by infecting superman with kryptonite-laced fear gas which caused Superman to see Lois as Doomsday. He then flew Lois into space, killing her and their unborn child. A trigger was set to her heartbeat that caused a bomb to destroy metropolis. I'm sorry but Wife/ kid/ city > Friends that can be wished back with dragonballs. Plus while Superman may be merciful to his villains, if lives are on the line and there is absolutely no other way he will kill. Goku on the other hand will legitimately risk whatever planet he’s on just for a good fight.

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
KryptonianPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Considering that aside from power ups Goku has virtually no actual character development after Dragon Ball, I have to say Superman is overall a better character. I mean yes Goku is a lot more powerful at the end of DBZ than he was at the beginning of DB but he's still essentially exactly the same.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Let it die already.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering that aside from power ups Goku has virtually no actual character development after Dragon Ball, I have to say Superman is overall a better character. I mean yes Goku is a lot more powerful at the end of DBZ than he was at the beginning of DB but he's still essentially exactly the same.

Being the same isn't necessarily a bad thing. That's one reason why Goku is so popular. That said I wouldn't mind seeing a few more emotions out of adult Goku besides happy and angry.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Supermans probably more iconic only due to time but he's extremely outdated and doesn't hold a candle to Goku character wise tbh and sales show this too where DBS manga is outselling Supes comics by something incredibly ridiculous like 1 superman comic to 10000 DBS sold

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this even a question?

Superman is much more well written character from both a literary, and practical standpoint.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Superman is much more well written character from both a literary, and practical standpoint.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Heatforce

@royal_warrior said:

I'd say Supermans probably more iconic only due to time but he's extremely outdated and doesn't hold a candle to Goku character wise tbh and sales show this too where DBS manga is outselling Supes comics by something incredibly ridiculous like 1 superman comic to 10000 DBS sold

A weekly manga vs which superman title?

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: however it is a possitive correlation

numbers do mean a lot

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce: Supermans highest selling CB of past month was only 30k that's nothing

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royal_warrior: How does that help your argument when mine is that sales don't equal quality? Coca-Cola outsells Sunny D by several billion dollars, does that mean Coke is better than Orange Juice?

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: yes, yes it does

Not to mention that sunny D was widely criticised and banned in a few countries I don't see why you making the comparison

If you said something like Tropicana or innocent smoothie vs Coke I could see you point but using Sunny D is a very bad choice

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zaied

Definitely, Superman.

ThomasTinsley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread has not been locked yet??? Surprising

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royal_warrior: That's not the point, the point is that sales don't equal quality. There are loads of crappy things that do well financially. Two and a Half Men was a legit terrible show, yet for some reason it continually made more money than dozens of far better shows.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Royal_Warrior

@joshmightbe: I liked two and a half men, there's your problem you think what you deem terrible is correct, everything is subjective so you cannot say one is better than the other because ya preference and the majority of people in this world prefer Goku

DEEDUBBLEDEE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku for sure He's more fun and less complicated.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Heatforce

@royal_warrior said:

@heatforce: Supermans highest selling CB of past month was only 30k that's nothing

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2015/2015-12.html

Well, mangas are cheaper than comics. That said his sales are more like 47,000 in December and that's just one solo title. American Alien is 37,000 and Annual is about another 29,000. I could also include justice leauge and his team up titles. Where are you getting the DBS numbers? I'm surprised it's selling at all since it's a companion manga to the anime i.e. the anime is the main source of canon.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royal_warrior: Is that why roughly 90% of the DBZ fans I know like Vegita better than Goku?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Hold on, I need to calculate some things

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edgy emo teens will say Goku.

People who want more development then where the next power up is coming from, Superman.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@manchine said:
@dccomicsrule2011 said:

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce: Superman went 0 to 100 real quick. In the comic he beat Green Arrow to beat IN FRONT OF HIS PARENTS, KILLED MARTIAN MANHUNTER, HERCULES, AND LEFT ARES WITH DARKSEID, TOOK A YELLOW LANTERN RING, KILLED DARKSIED'S SON, KILLED MOST OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS, AND A GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE AND WAS WILLING TO KILL WONDER WOMAN, WHO ALWAYS STOOD WITH HIM EVEN WHEN HE FORCED BLACK ADAM TO SAY SHAZAM AND DIE OF OLD AGE, TO STAY IN POWER. How was all of that justified? Goku would never resort to evil over someone's death, and name 2 planets he's risked for a good fight

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't see how anyone can say Goku is a better character. You may like him more, but that's it. After Dragon Ball the character of Goku has barely changed. Being happy and mad all the time and then getting a new power doesn't equate to character development. Also, lol, I like how Clark is getting criticized for being human and complicated. Like, really? SpongeBob has had more character development then Goku.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpongeBob has had more character development then Goku.

This almost makes me want to start naming characters with better character development than Goku.

Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Robocop, and the T-800 from Terminator 2.

Anybody else want to chime in?

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Heatforce

@hypnos0929 said:

@heatforce: Superman went 0 to 100 real quick. In the comic he beat Green Arrow to beat IN FRONT OF HIS PARENTS, KILLED MARTIAN MANHUNTER, HERCULES, AND LEFT ARES WITH DARKSEID, TOOK A YELLOW LANTERN RING, KILLED DARKSIED'S SON, KILLED MOST OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS, AND A GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE AND WAS WILLING TO KILL WONDER WOMAN, WHO ALWAYS STOOD WITH HIM EVEN WHEN HE FORCED BLACK ADAM TO SAY SHAZAM AND DIE OF OLD AGE, TO STAY IN POWER. How was all of that justified? Goku would never resort to evil over someone's death, and name 2 planets he's risked for a good fight

It's not justified, where did I say he was justified? I said you oversimplified a horrible situation. Literally this is what you said: "...and (Injustice) Superman is crazy evil, all because his wife and kid died."

So you know how Goku would handle any and every situation, even one where he is tricked into killing chi chi and one of his kids? Besides, before Goku got knocked on the head as a baby, his mission was to conquer earth. Goku was legitimately born evil.

Name 2 planets he's risked...well it was mostly earth and - sorta - namek but I can name a few times:

1. Goku wouldn't let Kami kill Piccolo Jr. nor would he do so himself just so he could have a strong rival

2. He let Vegeta leave earth so he could fight him again

3. He allowed Freeza to power up to his 100% form albeit the planet was still in danger

4. Letting buu live because of his confidence in fusion

5. IIRC was going to destroy the Potara earings because of Vegeta

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Heatforce

@the_man_with_questions said:

SpongeBob has had more character development then Goku.

This almost makes me want to start naming characters with better character development than Goku.

Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Robocop, and the T-800 from Terminator 2.

Anybody else want to chime in?

Most of the shonens inspired by dragonball have better developed main characters: Naruto, Gon, Luffy, Ichigo, Toriko, etc.

That's not a knock on dragonball, that's a compliment. Without dragonball we would be missing some great stories and characters.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By micah007123

I honestly don't see how anyone can say Goku is a better character. You may like him more, but that's it. After Dragon Ball the character of Goku has barely changed. Being happy and mad all the time and then getting a new power doesn't equate to character development. Also, lol, I like how Clark is getting criticized for being human and complicated. Like, really? SpongeBob has had more character development then Goku.

I'm sorry but that's bull. While key traits stay the same Goku as a person is different in many ways from the beginning of DB to currently where he is now at Super. Biggest example I can give is the fact that while he still loves fighting he's more so fighting for the people he loves now and recognizes that fighting isn't everything, a journey that's taken him awhile and has forced him to experience many hardships. Hell during his fight with Frieza a battle previously he would relish in simply for the fact that he was fighting someone he was sad at what Frieza had been reduced to mentally. Saying Superman is the better character is one thing since he's had so many wildly different incarnations he has something for everyone, so in light of this you'd be right but you don't need to sprout untrue claims like that to try and gain support. I can't stress enough how wrong those statements you made are.

hulkdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that superman has better stories, villains, allies/friends, and personality.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman in everything...

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DB's story is complete crap nowadays so Clark.

Villains also go to Clark. DB villains don't even have motivations anymore.

Goku's only interesting ally is Vegeta. Clark has the whole Justice League.

And personality goes to Clark because he's way more complex. And Goku is such a static character they actually had to revert him just to give him a character arc in Super.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman in literally everything....if you think otherwise, you either REALLY don't like Superman or you simply don't know much about him. I mean, you can be a huge dragon ball fan and still recognize that the plots and characters in the series are relatively shallow overall. And it's not a bad thing! The manga has always been a strictly fun,action, martial arts series and it's something it does better than 90% of American comics. But, assuming the OP is talking about depth and complexity of course, it simply doesn't compare to Superman comics.

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman.

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

I'm sorry but that's bull. While key traits stay the same Goku as a person is different in many ways from the beginning of DB to currently where he is now at Super. Biggest example I can give is the fact that while he still loves fighting he's more so fighting for the people he loves now and recognizes that fighting isn't everything, a journey that's taken him awhile and has forced him to experience many hardships. Hell during his fight with Frieza a battle previously he would relish in simply for the fact that he was fighting someone he was sad at what Frieza had been reduced to mentally. Saying Superman is the better character is one thing since he's had so many wildly different incarnations he has something for everyone, so in light of this you'd be right but you don't need to sprout untrue claims like that to try and gain support. I can't stress enough how wrong those statements you made are.

How about... No? Are you telling that it's taken 300 plus episodes for Goku to realize that he's fighting for the people he loves, and not just for a good fight? That's actually pretty sad if you think about it. Plus nothing you said even makes sense. Goku still seems more interested in fighting. Letting your kid perform dangerous field work while going off to train, forgetting your best friends birthday because he was more interested in training, etc... And are you telling that up until Frieza all of that battles Goku was fighting were just because he wanted to, but not because of the people he needed to protect... OK. Plus read my comment more carefully. I said barely. I didn't say at all. I stand by point that Goku's a terrible character in terms of development.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ancient_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leave ... it ... die

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is the better character but Goku is way cooler (fact)

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman has stories of him going rogue or getting insane. goku hasn't had one.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

When written correctly, Superman is far more interesting than Goku.

ThomasTinsley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ThomasTinsley

Just let it collapse under the weight of it's own BS

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 409

@hulkdoom Superman has had loads of better stories and loads of worse stories whereas Goku just feels like a continuation of one story.
Goku and Superman both have good villains but will give the edge to Superman as generally his villains are more interesting but only slightly.

Goku for me easily wins on friends and allies as they really do feel like a family and just feel more natural.

Personality Goku is a dead fish so easy win for Superman.

Leo-343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Goku doesn't bore me to death.

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Goku in Dragonball > Superman written well > DBZ Goku = Average Superman story.