• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LunarHeretic (466 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my own opinion,so don't get mad about it.

I will start this thread saying the obvious, Superman and Batman are obselete superheroes and both are not interesting.

Sure, the man of steel and the Sherlock Holmes bat-disguise guy where popular in their times, but now the are totally the opposite.

Let's start with Superman:

No Caption Provided

This guy was amazing in his first years, but now is the second most gary-stuish superhero in the history (the first one is Batman), why? His plots are stupid and are always the same thing. The bad guy comes, destroys the city (or the world) killing millions of people, the big bad guy beats Superman and let him live, the next part of the comic is Superman beating the bad guy from nowhere with a mystical unknown super-duper power.

It's pretty obvious the reason why Superman became so strong compared to his first version was because comics were (and are) losing customers and mange heroes as Goku and Seiya where more interesting than the big muscle man with perfect moral and this is something I want to talk.

Superman is perfect, and he is the pinaccle of morality no matter what, he will always let the villain live knowing he will come back and will do the same because... well... HE IS THE FREAKING VILLAIN.This is boring coming from a superhero. Most superheroes have no mercy and they just kill the villain because they know the guy will never be a good person. The only reason Superman is so popular compared to better superheroes is because he is the first concept of a superheore, but as a concept, he needs to die and be replace.

About Batman:

No Caption Provided

He is definitely the worst superheore actually. Why? He is a street fighter-just peak human, no more. His fanboys made him invincible with something they call 'prepare time'. Batman was cool when he used to fight the bad guys like Joker, Bane and more street fighter level characters, but now he's a god-like not god-like superheroe. His 'prepare time' is just an omnipotent tool which will always give him the win in fights. Superman became mad? Kryptonite gaunlets. Darkseid became mad again? Radion bullets ftw.

I mean, why is justice league important if Superman and Batman can do everything WW, MM, Flash and the other guys can do and better?

What do you thing? This is just a personal opinion, just that, and my opinion is Batman and Superman need to die forever as the good heroes they were once.

#2 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

The style of the two may be antiquated by todays standards, but not the reasons for their existence. It's an interesting thing to be the first because often that means that sooner or later someone will point out that you've been around a long time. Perhaps too long. I think of Woody from Toy Story and how his style of toy was superseded by space toys. Or some of the cars of my youth that embodied what at the time was considered a society in an upswing.

http://www.retrowaste.com/1950s/cars-in-the-1950s/

They had style, they had grace and they had power; much like the people of the country felt that they had about themselves at the time. Now? The cars are bland, common looking and yes, a bit more powerful, a lot safer and friendlier to the environment. Still I'd rather have the style, if only because it reminds me of a time when the country was advancing.

Superman and Batman have changed over the years, but at their core you still have two men who come from different places and have different abilities with basically the same goal. Superman can stand as an example that someone who has the power of a god doesn't have to be the bad guy, Batman shows that even the worst of tragedies can be used as a springboard for self development. Both of them adhere to core principles, something in my opinion that is scorned over at marvel and maybe that does make them a bit boring. The worse our society becomes though, the more we need boring. Right now I think we need boring more than we've ever needed it before.

I've never bought Superman or Batman that much, right now I'm not buying them at all especially with the way the writers have treated Lois. But I'm not buying a lot of comics right now because the writers have taken the characters into the darkness and I would like some difference between the good guys and the bad guys. Batman isn't Wolverine, Superman isn't Tony Stark. I think that's ok.

#3 Posted by LunarHeretic (466 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: Yes, is good superheroes have their own personality, but they´re kinda... pathethic.

#5 Posted by entropy_aegis (20873 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: I mean, yes, Bruce is not Tony, but Tony is leagues above Batman in well-design characters. Tony is more human, he gets deppresed, he fucks with all the women he want, he gets drunk, he's a human; Batman... he is perfect, like a cyborg or something like that, and that's is amazingly boring.

That's all good but Tony isn't Batman,Batman is a standard in himself,so unless Tony becomes Batman your argument is obsolete.

#6 Posted by Spambot (9439 posts) - - Show Bio

I think op just has an axe to grind with comics. Granted, I am not a fan of Superman and don't read much Batman but so long as people are buying their titles they are not obsolete. You need to be able to use better reasoning to back up the claims you make. I don't get the feeling you've actually read much Batman at all, more that you just don't like the character or his fans and so are basically just trolling them.

#7 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: I mean, yes, Bruce is not Tony, but Tony is leagues above Batman in well-design characters. Tony is more human, he gets deppresed, he fucks with all the women he want, he gets drunk, he's a human; Batman... he is perfect, like a cyborg or something like that, and that's is amazingly boring.

Yep, modern America's ideal guy, selfish, sexist and perfectly willing to treat friends like toilet paper.

#8 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

I think your opinion is stupid, I mean silly.

#10 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell, you just described Green Arrow in a lot of ways. He gets drunk, sleeps with various women, gets depressed, and unlike Tony he doesn't have the luxury of an armored suit to fight crime.

However, my gripe with your post is that you say all this stuff, but you offer no alternative. Who do you think we should replace Superman and Batman with? Batman, Spider-Man, and Superman are the three most-popular comic characters today. Who could replace them? And why would audiences gravitate toward these characters over Batman and Superman?

Also, the truth is, a lot of what you said is pretty outdated knowledge. Goku and Superman are even similar in their actions. Goku, after watching Frieza kill his best friend angrily was going to let Frieza live at the potential cost of his own life. He actively wished for Buu to return as a good person so obviously if a primordial being of pure evil can be made good, there's something to be said about other people being good. I mean, he asked Krillin to spare Vegeta and Vegeta nearly killed him, showed he wasn't that good a person by killing Nappa when he asked for help, and now they're best friends? OK...

Superman is above other characters because of his character, his villains, and his mythology. The same goes for Batman's character, even if I don't even like it.

And as for what the team does better than Batman and Superman?

Metropolis and Superman were nearly brought to their knees when challenged by the Psycho Pirate because Superman isn't that good against telepaths. Enter The Martian Manhunter. Nobody on Earth, except maybe Prof. Zoom (and technically he's not faster) can keep up with The Flash if he's really trying. His villains are arguably all hax, traps, and generally just able to take advantage of situations where his speed isn't always going to be as helpful as it could be, and even still, Superman and Batman will never be as fast as even Jay Garrick, let alone Barry. Neither can do what the Power Rings of a Lantern can do. They need gear? They run into something magic-based? Superman's at a disadvantage and all the martial arts in the world won't help Batman, but Wonder Woman? Her bread and butter. The secrets of Atlantis are dangerous, and neither Batman nor Superman is equipped to deal with such troubles--as was shown--if they wanted to Atlantis would likely conquer the Earth with their war plans, but Aquaman is the bridge that stops that from happening and like Diana, his bread and butter is magic--just a different kind of magic.

#11 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#12 Posted by TheGrayGhost (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

Well not to insult him or anything but it seems the OP knows jack shit about comics in general , much less Batman and Superman , neither of whose comics he seems to have read. I finished reading the Superman bit and really can't be bothered reading the Batman bit given the OP doesn't even have the decency to open a freakin Wikipedia article on the history of comics before widely proclaiming his views based on the Nolan movies and Man of Steel

Seriously ....Superman was powered up to match Goku? Goodness

#13 Posted by LunarHeretic (466 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Oh, look, is this comment again

#14 Posted by entropy_aegis (20873 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the second Batman hate thread by this poster,this time he lumped Superman in to it. I have no problem with a poster making a thread to rant about something he doesn't like but 1 is enough. The Mods should take action,this is just pointless.

#15 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunarheretic: What else is there to say, you're just parroting every other shade and hater comment thrown at these characters that totally hasn't been ranted about in every forum across the Internet ever. Not to mention you're wrong on more than one area.

#16 Edited by LunarHeretic (466 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegrayghost: I said it looks like. It's pretty obvious not Marvel comics franchise is a failure compared to manga franchise. Also One punch man is way better known this year compared to the boring Man of steel and Batman vs Superman movies, the same applies to Saint Seiya, Revival of Frieza, etc etc etc.

I'm not a Goku fan. I used to like him so much but in Buu saga... he became a Superman like Gary stu too.

I know you're hurt dudes, but it's the real world. Superman is a failure compared to a lot of characters in comic/manga. Comics are just interesting in Northamerica and part of Europe. Latinamerica, Asia, and a huge part of the world is more interested in anime and manga than comics and cartoon series.

I will put OPM again as a comparation. OPM is supposed to be OP, but he's more interesting than Superman because he is a satire, since Supy is seriously OP. Saitama is funny and fresh, Superman not. Superman is a really old concept and just Americans like him because he has the US flag as a suit...

#17 Posted by LunarHeretic (466 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Don't cry dude. The only thing I said about your hero is Prepare time looks to be pretty overrated...

#18 Edited by entropy_aegis (20873 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunarheretic said:

@thegrayghost: I said it looks like. It's pretty obvious not Marvel comics franchise is a failure compared to manga franchise. Also One punch man is way better known this year compared to the boring Man of steel and Batman vs Superman movies, the same applies to Saint Seiya, Revival of Frieza, etc etc etc.

I'm not a Goku fan. I used to like him so much but in Buu saga... he became a Superman like Gary stu too.

I know you're hurt dudes, but it's the real world. Superman is a failure compared to a lot of characters in comic/manga. Comics are just interesting in Northamerica and part of Europe. Latinamerica, Asia, and a huge part of the world is more interested in anime and manga than comics and cartoon series.

I will put OPM again as a comparation. OPM is supposed to be OP, but he's more interesting than Superman because he is a satire, since Supy is seriously OP. Saitama is funny and fresh, Superman not. Superman is a really old concept and just Americans like him because he has the US flag as a suit...

Facepalm. Yeah the mods better lock this one fast.

#19 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

Tru that's why they have to go full justice League

#20 Posted by DenzelMoton (669 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#21 Posted by entropy_aegis (20873 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunarheretic: Dupe thread is a dupe thread,this should be locked.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#22 Edited by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

These two are my favorite characters and personally I dont think they are obsolete. Clearly Im not alone as they continue to make money and be popular. You may not like them and thats fine, but dont act like they should be retired because you feel they are outdated. If you dont like them dont read them.

#23 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

I respect you're opinion and I see where you're coming from, but I think they're far from being obsolete

#24 Posted by RisingBean (9805 posts) - - Show Bio

What I find most amusing is that Superman and Batman will still be kicking out comics long after we are all dead.

Our grandkid's grandkid's will be on forums just like this where whiny lil' haters talk about how obsolete Superman and Batman are.

#25 Posted by Gizmorino (6317 posts) - - Show Bio

It's so freaking obvious that OP is an anime fanboy who is butt hurt. And it's preparation time not prepare time, it felt awkward reading prepare time lmao.

#26 Posted by TheDandyMan (5175 posts) - - Show Bio

Old but not obsolete.

#27 Posted by Leatherface003 (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman and Batman are obsolete??? what a bunch of crap... and the more modern superheroes"Tony Stark" still not able to beat them in any kind of competition neither sales nor popularity nor quality material...do yourself a favor and pick up some comics instead of whatever you are reading or smoking at the moment..

Avatar image for spectrumunbound
#28 Posted by SpectrumUnbound (811 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by SpectrumUnbound (811 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman and Batman are obsolete??? what a bunch of crap... and the more modern superheroes"Tony Stark" still not able to beat them in any kind of competition neither sales nor popularity nor quality material...do yourself a favor and pick up some comics instead of whatever you are reading or smoking at the moment..

Don't go raging on someone's opinion. There's a reason why he's puts it in bold, to show respect and not judge.

#30 Edited by Dernman (26044 posts) - - Show Bio

@spectrumunbound said:
@leatherface003 said:

Don't go raging on someone's opinion. There's a reason why he's puts it in bold, to show respect and not judge.

der Opinion Police going after someone's opinion because they have an opinion about someones opinion.

#31 Posted by SpectrumUnbound (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@spectrumunbound said:
@leatherface003 said:

der Opinion Police going after someone's opinion because they have an opinion about someones opinion.

#32 Posted by SaintWildcard (21845 posts) - - Show Bio

DAMN IT! And I just bought a ton of Superman and Batman stock....

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
#33 Posted by deactivated-59dfd33ed3601 (5575 posts) - - Show Bio

I need a word with you in private

#34 Posted by Leatherface003 (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

@leatherface003 said:

I will show respect when he puts something valid argument...everybody has opinion but they need to back it up with proper argument just not make some nonsense...everyday some new guy comes in with their movie based half knowledge and start talking crap and should be respected..sorry can't do it..

#35 Posted by SpectrumUnbound (811 posts) - - Show Bio

I need a word with you in private

How about with me? ;)

#36 Posted by deactivated-59dfd33ed3601 (5575 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by SpectrumUnbound (811 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by deactivated-59dfd33ed3601 (5575 posts) - - Show Bio

@spectrumunbound: It was about the topic at hand but I have a idea that isn't what you were expecting lol.

#39 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

If Superman and Batman are obsolete then your a dos computer or a VCR tape. As the combined income or GDP of Both Superman and Batman is enough to run a country where talking hundreds of millions. Both Superman and Batman are very much quite the opposite of Obsolete which means Old and Out of Print or no longer used. Their upcoming movie is projected to shatter box office records everywhere. Obsolete was an extremely poor choice of words on your part. I think you meant boring, which would have sufficed, as you are completely entitled to your opinion. But calling Batman and Superman obsolete is not only absurdly stupid its 100 percent factually incorrect. And another thing you have to remember, is that both character have been tweaked countless times by a plethora of different writers over the course of many years (i,m talking nearly a centuries worth of materiel),so they changed or rather adapted with the times. The Superman and Batman of Today are not the same ones from their initial creation, they are vastly different with the only real similarity left being their name sake. This is why they have lasted so long. The same holds true for all the big name Superheros most of which who were created many years ago, when the country and world wide landscape as a whole looked vastly different then it does now. All great or should i say popular Superheros have changed with the times, Iron-man, Spider-man,The Flash,Green Lantern,Aqua man,Thor, Hulk,Captain America,Daredevil,Green Arrow to name a few, dont really resemble themselves upon their initial creation. All those characters and popular characters(specifically Superheros) in general have had the benefit of being mentored and looked over by various writers and or marketing executives(who sort of acted like their guardian angels) over the years. You honestly think these two would have survived going into the 21st century being exactly like they were when they were created in the 1930s? Ha..That tells me you have probably read a handful of Superman and Batman comics in your lifetime and probably from one era or two.

#40 Posted by BlackLegRaph (5478 posts) - - Show Bio

Old nonsense for the new year. Fantastic.

#41 Posted by Y2G (447 posts) - - Show Bio

Your opinion sucks.

#42 Posted by entropy_aegis (20873 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread sucks in my opinion.

#43 Edited by lxlGiftedlxl (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah Superman and Batman are very far from obsolete.

In fact there still going strong which proves they aren't obsolete.

Also......

@lvenger said:
No Caption Provided

#44 Posted by SC (18159 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunarheretic: Hello. Please remember CV has rules regarding language, and to do your best to avoid using those words. Cheers!

#45 Posted by kyrees (13547 posts) - - Show Bio

OP lives too much in the anime world and knows barely anything on two of the most iconic characters in history. in my opinion, OP needs to remove his/her anime glasses and see the bigger world of iconic heroes.

#46 Posted by SC (18159 posts) - - Show Bio

When people have to preface that something is their opinion so heavily, it kind of lessens any actual discussion value that can be had. Opinions don't need to be supported, based in fact, be reasonable, or make sense. It also puts up a shield of sort against dissent, opposing opinions, criticism, because ultimately it can be justified by virtue of being an opinion.

I mean in my opinion all fictional characters and stories are obsolete. I only read the newspaper. You know the newspaper is way more popular than dumb comics or dumb manga and anime, LOL, its just my opinion though, don't get mad, or criticize or address me, because that would be a sign that you are mad, and its just an opinion, why U mad over an opinion. Ayyyeee lmao.

#47 Posted by silent_bomber (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics are just interesting in North America and part of Europe. Latinamerica, Asia, and a huge part of the world is more interested in anime and manga than comics and cartoon series.

I think most of Europe is more interested in Manga tbh, the exception being the UK.

Manga definitely sells better than Superheroes in France, I think I read somewhere that France is the 2nd largest Manga market.

That's just in comics though, the Film and Television markets do not support your claim that those superheroes are obsolete at all, in fact much the opposite as Superheroes have been virtually propping up Cinema's for years now they're so popular.

#48 Edited by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#49 Posted by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

This thread? Again? Kill it! Kill it with rapid fire laser blasts!
This thread? Again? Kill it! Kill it with rapid fire laser blasts!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
#50 Posted by deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76 (10909 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

YOU HEARTLESS FIEND!