Superheroes' identities being public knowledge: fan or not a fan?

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Do you like it when a superhero's identity is public knowledge (Iron Man, FF etc) or when it's kept in secret (Batman, Spider-Man etc)?

Kidolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both can give a story or extra complexity to a superhero, so they’re equal for me.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Public like Iron Man and the Fantastic Four. That was something I really like about the MCU.

Aren't the X-Men's identity public? That's one of the reasons why I liked them more than most superheroes. At least conceptually since I haven't kept up with the comic continuity.

Some heroes like Spider-man should not have their identity public though. He's not an anti-hero like Batman.

Peter Parker was given the power at a young age, and he made the self-sacrificial choice to use his powers to help when no one else could, and it wouldn't be right for his whole life be destroyed for his incredible selflessness. He had to cover up his identity to protect his loved ones and protect his aunt from getting a heart attack from the shock of his heroics.

Younger heroes like Robin and Kid Flash should also have secret identities. They're not mature enough to know what they want out of life, and they shouldn't suffer for their incredible heroics either.

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Michaelbn
@infantfinite128 said:

Public like Iron Man and the Fantastic Four. That was something I really like about the MCU.

Aren't the X-Men's identity public? That's one of the reasons why I liked them more than most superheroes. At least conceptually since I haven't kept up with the comic continuity.

Some heroes like Spider-man should not have their identity public though. He's not an anti-hero like Batman.

Peter Parker was given the power at a young age, and he made the self-sacrificial choice to use his powers to help when no one else could, and it wouldn't be right for his whole life be destroyed for his incredible selflessness. He had to cover up his identity to protect his loved ones and protect his aunt from getting a heart attack from the shock of his heroics.

Younger heroes like Robin and Kid Flash should also have secret identities. They're not mature enough to know what they want out of life, and they shouldn't suffer for their incredible heroics either.

While I prefer secret identities, this one explains it well, why it depends on the character.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah depends on the character

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Hajduk

Really depends on the character but generally I like the trope of heroes initially being mysterious and hiding their identity, then over the course of the story they become a hero and gain the trust of the people, THEN the hero reveals his identity.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@michaelbn: I prefer secret identities as well as long as the creators keep the tone light, the setting fantastical, and the character progression is kept to a minimal.

I haven't seen the entire show, but The Batman the Brave and the Bold might be my favorite take on the DC Universe because it appeared that the series ended with the characters' keeping their integrity in tact. I'm glad all the character kept all their secret identities, and I wouldn't want them to have their identities revealed.

@the_hajduk said:

Really depends on the character but generally I like the trope of heroes initially being mysterious and hiding their identity, then over the course of the story they become a hero and gain the trust of the people, THEN the hero reveals his identity.

That's a great direction if the hero dies at the end similar to Walt Kowalski's final stand at the end of Gran Torino where the audience is left hoping that the people he left behind are equip enough to defend themselves when he's gone.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the characters. Thor is recognized as a God and due to that hes extremely benevolent in universe and regularly interacts with normal people.

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Public

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the characters. Some work better without secter identities, while others look poorer without them.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^^ that

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superhero identities need to be public for public interest

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superhero identities need to be public for public interest

If you were actually Bender, the uniformity of opinion, username, and avatar would make this the greatest post on the vine, but that's not possible since, if Bender wrote this, he'd have Fry (or whoever's owns the computer he's using) as his avatar and username.