• 50 results
ryubh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ryubh

"Through the first four weeks of its theatrical run, Suicide Squad has grossed an impressive $282.9 million domestically to go along with the $353.1 million it has earned overseas. This puts the third movie in the DCEU sitting at $635.9 million globally, and according to the latest projections by Mark Hughes of Forbes, it could cross the $700 million mark by the time everything is said and done:"

"SuicideSquad added $60M globally past 7 days, raising total to $636M. If it falls 50% each week it adds $30M –> $15M –> $7M –> $3M etc. But if it falls 60% each week it adds $24M –> $9.6 –> $3.8 –> $1.5 etc. So, without Japan #SuicideSquad will take b/w $675M and $695M. Japan should add b/w $10-20M. This is MATH, so it’s silly to deny it."

http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-box-office-total/

DemFeetTho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SS won't cross the 700mil mark. It'll land somewhere around MOS numbers at 660mil. Not a total flop but won't be considered a success neither.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

It may limp to 700. Which is great in my book.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demfeettho: that's a success considering how the material is something not many general audiences are familiar with.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jgames

Yeah too bad it did not have the chinese market, and the reshots seem to cost extra, but overall it can be call a success if it makes 700$

ryubh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

Yeah too bad it did not have the chinese market, and the reshots seem to cost extra, but overall i can be call a success if it makes 700$

That's true, if it wasn't banned in China SQ could have made $800 easily.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

@ryubh: China sucks. Banned DP too. How people live there is beyond me.

Lawz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lawz

Look, the final cut of a film should never be handed over to a trailer company to finish. As comic book fans, we need SS to be a wake up call for Warner Brothers, not an affirmation of the intrusiveness they've exhibited thus far in the DCEU.

SS doing poorer than expected means, hopefully, they won't feel the need to have a group of no talent corporate personalities opt to compromise the artistic vision for something like Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Great haul.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

So in-spite of being the latest victim of critic-rage (or rabies if you will), it's still putting a smile on the studio's and the audiences faces. Let's all just remember that critics are only really worth paying attention to if your goal is the oscars, if not, you only have 2 groups to please; audience and in turn the ones who paid for the movie. SS has managed to please the important bits, and this is what matters.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome news.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I smell a sequel and/or spin-off announcement coming

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

But this movie is a failure. I heard it needed to pay off the USA national debt to break even.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It needs to make another $40 million to hit $700 million worldwide. That's about $10 million per week for the next four weeks. Not impossible, but I still believe it will fall short of the number. I hope I am wrong, because I really want to see a Harley solo movie and would like to see more of Will Smith's Deadshot. I liked the characters in S.S. even if I thought the movie itself was plagued with problems. I enjoyed my time watching the movie, crappy ending (so very crappy ending) and all.

Blackstar_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great news Sequel likely now.

touma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By touma

great news well it will be good to see the faces of critics when they see this news,

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WB/DC for Life!!

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

SS won't cross the 700mil mark. It'll land somewhere around MOS numbers at 660mil. Not a total flop but won't be considered a success neither.

In what world is $660 million not a success???

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@demfeettho said:

In a world where that was the overall cost of making the movie

It is still some good numbers though, I didn´t expect it to break 600 million to be honest.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't deserve it, but whatever.

Mediocrity wins again.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By jumpstart55

Not bad still a win for DC even if it dosent cross 700 milliie.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@petey_is_spidey said:
@demfeettho said:

It is still some good numbers though, I didn´t expect it to break 600 million to be honest.

The overall cost of making the movie wasn't ANYWHERE near $660 million. Don't know where you got that from.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Thor-Parker

@petey_is_spidey: There has been many claims around here that it needs $700M to break even, don´t know if it´s true though, but many people have said that.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@demfeettho said:

The overall cost of making the movie wasn't ANYWHERE near $660 million. Don't know where you got that from.

The production budget was 175 million dollars and then you also have to think about the marketing. Marketing costs a lot, specially considering the purchase and demand. Hell, IIRC, it costs like 5 million dollars to have a 30 second TV spot on the big screen of Superbowl. The marketing costs way more than the production, I think.

Also, I think what demfeettho meant was that 600 million isn't going to be considered a success in comparison to all the money they used on producing and marketing the movie. 600 million dollars is shit load of money, but you also have to think about the budget and whatnot.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a lot of money, but I heard it had to make like 750-800 million dollars to be considered a success. Also, the movie took a huge L by not being allowed to go on cinemas in China. If it would, then the movie would probably have been at 800+ million dollars now.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It needed ~450-500 million to break even, budget and marketing included. But for some reason if all DC movies don't break a billion it's a flop. I don't know what world these armchair box office analysts with a touch of Marvel bias are living in, but it isn't ours.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@thepreface: It's kinda crazy. I feel like Marvel movies have similar budgets, but if they get 600 million. It's okay. Ant Man only got 520 or something like that, but no one says it's a failure. Same with all phases one films except Avengers.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Asgaard
Avatar image for deactivated-57d4b69179aa7
deactivated-57d4b69179aa7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a good movie, but I don't think they made the money that they wanted to.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Spambot

@thepreface: That's just speculation on your part. Personally I think it needed $600-700m to break even off of box office. Rumors are they spent over $200m on production and a lot on marketing which prob means over $100m. So that means they needed at least $600m.

mindleech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how much did the music and music videos cost , that was used in the marketing. Skrillex, Lil Wayne, Imagine Dragons, Wiz Khalifa, Twenty One Pilots, SKylar Grey are pretty big names in the industry. Any guesses?

cfrehse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ss budget was 175 million. This is definitely a financial success. No way they spent half a billion on marketing. Also companies make deals with each other when it comes to marketing and promoting. Usually both benefit in advertising. Critics can say what they want like they always do and yes they are accurate and lot but Normal people listen to word of mouth. I hear from a couple people it was good I'll check it out even if the reviews where bad. Honestly I wouldn't give it a 3/10 I'd give it a solid 7. Favorite DC movie so far then mos then bvs with bvs getting a 6/10 ultimate edition was slightly better

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Spambot

@ashrym: Not really. You have to keep in mind that multiple sources have stated that WB execs panicked after BvS under performed and did a bunch of reshoots and then hired two different companies to come in and do editing. You can't look at SS as a stand alone movie unto itself. It is part of the dceu brand which WB is trying very hard to establish as a top notch cbm studio. The profit they make off of SS isn't the bottom line for the studio. Its as much or more about trying to get the brand in a positive light with general audiences. Which is why you saw them trying so hard to lighten the tone with reshoots and may have spent more than they would have on marketing if it were just about profit. They wanted it to hit $700m+ so it would appear to be a box office smash even if the profit margin wasn't that big.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every dog has his day

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashrym: Reshoots are normal but SS supposedly did quite a bit of them. Also, regarding SS having legs, I really feel like you are grasping at straws but w/e. I know how hard you want to see SS as some huge success. Its weekend declines have been sharp and steady since it opened. If it has another big decline this weekend then no it didn't have any legs of note.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've heard of that the studios get half the money made from ticket sales, so if the budget was $175 million dollars and if they spent an equal amount on marketing then that adds up to $350 million total. The movie must make double that at the box office, because the theatres take half to run their own businesses. It's not that crazy when you think about it. What is crazy though is how any movies are made at all. It's such a risky venture and even if you get lucky, your profits just go to cover all the other failures released.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashrym: Sites can say w/e the heck they want to regarding it having legs but the raw numbers don't need websites to interpret them. I know what its weekend totals have been that they've been in sharp decline since the second weekend. Nothing impressive about it. I will gladly compare them yet again to some other movies which had similar or smaller openings though if you really want to do that and we can see how SS held up in comparison.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_stegman  Moderator

Looks like it did it.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

It doesn't deserve it, but whatever.

Mediocrity wins again.

No Caption Provided

You have a point though. It was a pretty lackluster movie that had the potential to be amazing with less meddling from the studio. Sadly, most audiences are blinded by mediocrity. I saw SS with my mom and my brother and they both loved it, it took my pointing out the vast myriad of problems it had for them to begrudgingly admit it wasn't great.

DC/WB isn't really being properly punished for making the film equivalent of leftover flan, and as such, things are moving forward as scheduled.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had a feeling they would make it. Looking forward to the next movie.

DevilFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't think 700mil is great for a movie that had Batman and Joker in literally in every trailer. the DCCU is still critically panned and under performing.

People are kidding themselves if they thought bad reviews would keep Batman, Harley and the first appearance of the new Joker from at least breaking even. Now SS2 on the other hand is fuc#ed. You get one chance to do something for the first time.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@devilfruit: It seem that audience for the most part actually like the movie and even critics who hate the movie, like the cast, so there potential in Suicide Squad two if it does not have a stupid villain and a more time with the squad.