Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain Cascader

http://www.comicvine.com/submission-guidelines/40430/

The submission guidelines are now editable. I've done this primarily to allow us to work as a group to write up a clean document that spells out how subs work on the site.

Here's the stuff I'd like to get covered by the end of this week.

1. Exactly how aliases work. Last we left it, everyone is fine with there only being one character regardless of universe. It also seems everyone is clear on multi-person characters like Robin or Venon. I believe there's also a consensus that there are times when characters like 2099 Spider-Man should be split out. However, I'd very much not like this to be the norm and I think we need to document why this is being done.

2. I'd like to document the actual submission process and the current point goals that let you hit certain features on the site. Currently it's 1000 points for live-editing. In the coming weeks we'll likely be adding higher point goals for other features.

3. I'd like to document anything that our older users here feel they wish they had known about submissions right from the get-go. It's a complex site and I'm sure we can do a better job to help out new peeps.

4. Any style guidelines we'd like people to follow. Should we give out spoilers, what's the proper way to deal with powers...etc.

While this page is editable under the same rules as the rest of the site, I'd appreciate open discussion in this thread or others within the board before you make changes. Let's all agree on something before we go and make big changes to the doc. If you have any ideas, now's the time to start voicing them.

Gravnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gravnos

This was a good idea, While thinking about it I found another question, What if it's a comic based novel?

Like a novel written about The X-men?

I'll need to think carefully about how I word this before submitting it...

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

I think the comic novels aren't gospel. Sorta like the Star Wars books vs the movies. What happens in the novel, even if they have a good editor, may not reflect events in the mainstream comics. If it was something you felt strongly about or was a really good story, it could possibly be added in the trivia section or as a side-note. Not that I want to compare ourselves to wiki, but they do cover other media in their write-ups, separately. It could get to be too much.

Avatar image for captain_cascader
Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Captain Cascader

I think everyone tends to agree this site is for "Printed Comics and Graphic Novels", meaning something that can be picked up on a rack. So Novels wouldn't be covered, though your more then welcome to discuss novels, movies and other subjects within a character description. In fact, you can create concept pages for them if you want, I just don't think they should be definned as volumes or issues.

Gravnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Gravnos

The problme with this is that some comic's that haven't had time to develope (such as City of Heroes)added a ton of content in the 2 Novels. Infact if it wasn't for the novels there would be NO origin story's. The comics are so few (about 40-60issues or so)and far between if we couldn't cover the novels we would lose the very meaning of this really fun series.

Just my 2 cents.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Captain Cascader says:

"4. Any style guidelines we'd like people to follow. Should we give out spoilers, what's the proper way to deal with powers...etc."

We should perhaps write out the template for each page when writing in the overview. I'm seeing a lot of this:

Origin/History

then

Powers

but I'm not sure if that's the official template. Perhaps we could also add other headings into the template.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#7  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Valinorbob's image code and Scoodle's drop down menu should be put somewhere (not on the actual guidelines page, but probably the Style Guide). I found those both very useful and I think they should made be easy to find. I know which entries to look at if I want to see them, but new people won't.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Buckshot says:

"Valinorbob's image code and Scoodle's drop down menu should be put somewhere (not on the actual guidelines page, but probably the Style Guide). I found those both very useful and I think they should made be easy to find. I know which entries to look at if I want to see them, but new people won't. "

Someone should create a Comicvine Style Guide as a concept. Then put a link to that concept on the submissions guideline page.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

Buckshot, what pages are you using the Drop Down menu for? I didn't see it on Majestic's page.

I'm just curious, cause I'm proud of it. XD

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#10  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

You should be. So far I've only used it on the Wildcats page. I plan on putting it on the Majestic page but I keep putting it off.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

I like what you did with the Volumes.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points