• 83 results
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#51 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (17985 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a diggity damn thing

#52 Posted by bobthened (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I've said it many times before but I'm going to say it agin because clearly you guys don't understand...

In the Snyderverse Superman is constantly trying to help people (we see this in many scenes from MoS, the saving people montage in BvS, and the BvS tie-in prequel comic) But...

He is living in a world that is full of people who are suspicious and untrusting, they don't believe in heroism without ulterior motives.

this means that whenever Superman saves a life, he is greeted with not thanks or appreciation, but with suspicion; people ask what does he stand to gain from saving people. Some people even go so far as coming to the conclusion that he is trying to gain the trust of the people so that he can later betray them.

Now of not everyone is so suspicious of Superman, there are a lot of people who see him as a benevolent god (we see this in the way that people literally look up towards him, and try to touch him).

This depresses Superman; we can see in BvS that he is losing the motivation to help people, and he even questions whether there is any point in continuing to be Superman (Not because he doesn't want to save people, but because of the way is constantly berated by the media and the government and even the people he saves.

You might say that this shouldn't bother a character like Superman, or even that he's the kind of person who people just automatically trust; I would reply by asking you to try to think of a single person who is automatically trusted by everyone in the world.... it's a trick question, there aren't any.

As for whether the constant suspicion should bother Superman; imagine yourself as a charity worker whose only desire is to help people in the third world, it's all that you do. But then imaging whenever you help anyone; they, and everyone around them, suspiciously asks what you want in return for the help. You explain to them that you are only there to help and want nothin in return and; but no-one believes you. The first few times this happens you might be able to brush it off and carry on; but once it's happening a hundred times every day, you would start to question whether they want your help. And you find yourself wondering whether you even want to give help anymore. This might not stop you doing it, but you would certainly lose any enthusiasm; and you would most likely be going through the motions of helping, but avoiding interactions with people (though you can still hear them questioning your motivations).

This is the exact situation that DCEU Superman is in!

I'm not defending the movie. It clearly did a terrible job communicating this to the audience.

oh and BTW this isn't just my opinion, this was confirmed by Snyder on Twitter to be the correct interpretation of the movie.

#53 Posted by bobthened (687 posts) - - Show Bio

DCEU has an arguably better interpretation of Wonder Woman; as well as a very interesting version of Krypton and General Zod.

#54 Posted by Kevd4wg (12695 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobthened: It doesn't matter what Snyder meant superman is done worse in the DCEU because it is difficult to understand what Snyder is trying to convey in the movie other than Superman is a brooding person.

#55 Posted by bobthened (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

@bobthened: It doesn't matter what Snyder meant superman is done worse in the DCEU because it is difficult to understand what Snyder is trying to convey in the movie other than Superman is a brooding person.

I'm aware of that, I'm just saying that that people's automatic dismissal of DCEU Superman as a terrible failure characterisation etc. is actually wrong.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
#56 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (3818 posts) - - Show Bio

The obvious answer is Wonder Woman..and I think the DCAU did a very good Wonder Woman.

#57 Edited by SaintWildcard (21783 posts) - - Show Bio

1) Zod

2) Better Attempt at a Level One Superman

3) Fights

4) Most potential... only to be squandered, but still.

5) MoS Perry White

6) Krypton

#58 Posted by Stormdriven (17850 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao, Harley Quinn in the DCAU curbstomps Margot Robbie's

#59 Posted by Pipxeroth (9204 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... I'd say they're a bit better at making live action films, but not by much.

Avatar image for deactivated-597fe3e7af56f
#60 Posted by deactivated-597fe3e7af56f (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

I change my answer to this.

Well... I'd say they're a bit better at making live action films, but not by much.

#61 Posted by DeathandGrim (4827 posts) - - Show Bio

Only thing I think Snyder got right was he managed to imitate comic book action to a tee in live action form.

Everything else is a wash

#62 Posted by DeathandGrim (4827 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobthened: I can agree with you so much there. I get that Snyder's portraying cynicism from society when Superman is around. But Superman's own actions are baffling at times. He grew up in a normal small town Kansas city he surely has to have understood there are thankless jobs that exist. Whether or not he gets berated at or thanked for saving people should be irrelevant to him as Superman he shrugs it off so long as it's a job well done because his true life is that of Clark Kent, or at least he should.

#63 Posted by bobthened (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathandGrim2: It's not really about whether he gets thanked or not; rather that he is constantly treated with suspicion the world acts like they don't want him. I disagree with you that it wouldn't affect him, I think that after a while it would affect anyone, even Superman.

#64 Posted by DeathandGrim (4827 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobthened: Yea but he should have already been ready for that. He was told all his life (by a terrible rendition of John Kent) about how the world wasn't ready for him but he put on the costume anyway in a bold defiance of expectation, because doing the right thing is what he wanted to do in his heart... allegedly. So it's off that he got so salty about it

Avatar image for jointron33sysbm
#65 Edited by Jointron33SYSBM (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewhitecrown: are you kidding? DCAU WW sucked. NOTHING about her mythos was well done, the amazons were ball breaking biotches, Steve was sidelined to make room for the husband of Bruce Timm....err, I mean Batman, she was mean and never at all caring or motherly.

Avatar image for jointron33sysbm
#66 Edited by Jointron33SYSBM (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: we'll be wasn't in the dcau, so...

#67 Posted by bobthened (687 posts) - - Show Bio
#68 Posted by MarlboroMan (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

Zod is the only answer for me, i strongly disagree about WW with everyone else here.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#69 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3987 posts) - - Show Bio
#72 Edited by Devilmenworks (739 posts) - - Show Bio

DCEU has far better music. The Hans Zimmer score is better than anything the DCAU has made.

DECU made Zod a much better villain compared to his DCAU.

Faora!!

#73 Posted by ganon15 (7092 posts) - - Show Bio

DCEU has far better music. The Hans Zimmer score is better than anything the DCAU has made.

Shirley Walker would like a word with you.

Faora!!

You could say Mala was more developed as a character

#74 Posted by Havenless (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot.

Id like to see Suicide Squad 2 entirely revolve around him.

#75 Posted by Devilmenworks (739 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15: Shirley can have all the words she wants with me but it is true. I am not saying she is bad by any means but Hans Zimmer is one of the best composers of our generation.

Mala was more developed as a character but she also had more screen time as well. I also felt Faora had a much lasting impression and a memorable quote vs Mala.

Avatar image for supermanforever
#76 Posted by Supermanforever (8055 posts) - - Show Bio

Costumes, visual effects

#77 Edited by ganon15 (7092 posts) - - Show Bio

@devilmenworks said:

@ganon15: Shirley can have all the words she wants with me but it is true. I am not saying she is bad by any means but Hans Zimmer is one of the best composers of our generation.

Indeed he is, but I found the themes from BvS to be generic(especially Batman's). It pales in comparison to Mask of The Phantasm's theme:

Loading Video...

#78 Posted by Devilmenworks (739 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15: This is one of Shirley Walker's best tracks and one of he best in an animated cartoon. I feel this is one that is good enough to actually go into a live action adaptation.

However, Han's theme such as Oil Rig, First Flight, I will Find Him are still superior to me.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion at this point.

#82 Edited by MetalJimmor (6389 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobthened: I can agree with you so much there. I get that Snyder's portraying cynicism from society when Superman is around. But Superman's own actions are baffling at times. He grew up in a normal small town Kansas city he surely has to have understood there are thankless jobs that exist. Whether or not he gets berated at or thanked for saving people should be irrelevant to him as Superman he shrugs it off so long as it's a job well done because his true life is that of Clark Kent, or at least he should.

Interestingly, DCAU Superman had a similar arc after they shot a doom laser at CADMUS (on accident). It bothered him. A lot.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

He disbanded the Justice League completely out of guilt because of how the world saw him after a city scale destructive event the populous thought he caused.

#83 Edited by DeathandGrim (4827 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathandGrim2 said:

Interestingly, DCAU Superman had a similar arc after they shot a doom laser at CADMUS (on accident). It bothered him. A lot.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

He disbanded the Justice League completely out of guilt because of how the world saw him after a city scale destructive event the populous thought he caused.

I felt his development in these moments were far more earnest and understandable. Being the face of the Justice League and one the founders and also being targeted like he was by Waller he came to the realization that she had some valid points. It took a lot for him to get to this point too.

#84 Posted by MetalJimmor (6389 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathandGrim2:

True. My point was only that public opinion can and has effected DCAU Superman before. This happened again during the President Luthor arc too. Unfortunately we don't get to see DCEU Superman deal with it nearly enough in the movies. We REALLY needed an MoS 2 before BvS so that Superman could be explored more in depth before he had to give most of his screen time to Batman.

#86 Posted by Amcu (16611 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe the way Steppenwolf looks. That's pretty much it.

#87 Posted by Farkam (12025 posts) - - Show Bio
@farkam said:

Fights. That's it.

Disagree with myself. DCAU had some great fights.

#88 Edited by modernww2fare (7045 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman's out, so maybe things have changed a bit here

#89 Posted by Gokluma (8568 posts) - - Show Bio

Having a Cyborg as the main character.

#90 Posted by KanyeCosby (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe costumes

#91 Posted by dirtytree332 (605 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman.

Avatar image for xmangog__beastx
#92 Posted by xMangog__Beastx (4710 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing IMO

#93 Posted by rem (2649 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely nothing which is pretty disappointing. The dcau is perfect.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#94 Posted by IndomitableRegal (15839 posts) - - Show Bio

...Nothing, though at least DCEU WW is great in her own right.

#96 Edited by stumerica (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything Aquaman related

Wonder Woman

Steve Trevor

Costumes

Fights

Visuals

Can't wait to get flamed for this, but having a better Batman than the DCAU.