Star Wars vs Harry Potter vs Lord of the Rings vs Game of Thrones

• 53 results
thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Star Wars vs Harry Potter vs Lord of the Rings vs Game of Thrones (61 votes)

Star Wars (all films) 21%
Harry Potter 8%
Lord of the Rings 54%
Game of Thrones 16%

All of these series are great. But which do you consider to be the best in terms of characters, worldbuilding, conveying themes and symbolism, and consistency? You are allowed to take both books and live adaptions into account as long as it's canon material.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

• 
mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars, then Lord of the Rings, then Harry Potter. Never seen or read Game of Thrones.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By tj849

ROTS/ROTJ solos

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

GOT

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LoTR

GoT

Harry Potter

Star wars

Killermovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LoTR *barely* edges out the SW original trilogy

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord of the Rings is far better than them all.

Star Wars is cool, but doesn't make sense if you think about it too much. The consistency throughout the movies in quality is far better in LotR as well.

Ask anyone what their favorite movie is, you might get 3 different answers.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LoTR, Star Wars is great, but everything about the LoTR was Oscar material, SW not so much. The score, the acting, the costumes, the cgi, all of it. SW gets some bonus points for trailblazing special effects as we know them and more for nostalgia, but it isn't beating LoTR.

Obi_Wan__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOTR is honestly amazing, and those three films are incredibly captivating, But the original Star Wars saga wins (im not counting the st, and ro)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b728068f211c
deactivated-5b728068f211c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars by far.

HitTheAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of them win "by far", that's nonsense. IMO, it would probably have to be LOTR.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Classic Star Wars, Book Game of Thrones & Book LoTR are all consistently good at what they do for different reasons.

Harry Potter is overrated tripe.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lord of the Rings stomps.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Ged oot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq said:
@farkam said:

Ged oot.

Sorry, i was a little harsh.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:
@alphaq said:
@farkam said:

Ged oot.

Sorry, i was a little harsh.

Any more of that and it's Azkaban for you.

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again, Lord of the Rings.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_stegman  Moderator

@farkam: We disagree on alot of things, but you have insulted Harry Potter. Leave, Muggle!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: We disagree on alot of things, but you have insulted Harry Potter. Leave, Muggle!

sorry :c

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars...Clone Wars series solos...

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Tom Bombadil

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

@farkam: *tears in eyes*

I said leeeeeave!

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOTR one of the best trilogies of all time

GOT best fantasy television of all time and some of the best television of all time

Star Wars Prequels are just bad along with the new trilogy and no one has time to watch animated shows

Harry Potter is overrated garbage

Avatar image for manofmanynames2
ManOfManyNames2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars in terms of power, Harry Potter in terms of story, LOTR in terms of theme, GOT in terms of dialogue.

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Game of Thrones
  2. Harry Potter
  3. Star Wars

Haven't seen LOTR.

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GoT (ASOIAF) slaughters in terms of world-building (I'm sure LotR fans will beg to differ, but I digress).

LotR and GoT tie as adaptations (with LotR getting a slight edge, thanks to GoT's awful ending).

HP has comparatively weak world-building, but makes up for it in characters and themes. Adaptations are all over the place, but somehow still good.

Star Wars, I never got into that much.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Necromancer76

Lord of the Rings > Game of Thrones > Star Wars > Harry Potter

Game of Thrones is second because of season 8 and Star Wars is held back by the Prequels and Sequels

Naronu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LoTR > Star Wars > GoT > Harry Potter

GoT's ending took it from challenging for #1 to #3.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 krisbishop  Moderator

LoTR > Star Wars > GoT > Harry Potter

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Richubs

Game of Thrones because of the first 7 seasons. If season 8 wasn't there it'd probably be the highest voted.

I'm not a fan of Lord of the Rings tho.

Why it's still at the top is because it being a TV show gave me so much in 7 seasons that it stil bags number 1. Its a shame how it could have had the chance to battle for the best TV show of all time with Breaking Bad but they messed up the ending so bad.

Avatar image for piatinumfanboy1
PIatinumfanboy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am Potter simp so i will say Potter at first. Fantasy world in modern times (or more like 90's).

GoT and Lotr are equally cool, just beautifully made fantasy verse with medieval climate.

Star Wars it is just a weird sci-fi with some fantasy elements

DarthAdi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOTR>GOT>SW>>>>HP

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zafros13

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition)

(Larger gap)

2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (theatrical cut)

5. Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

6. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

7. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (extended edition)

8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1

10. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

11. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2

12. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

13. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

14. Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince

15. The Hobbit: The Battle of 5 Armies

(Larger gap)

16. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

17. Fantastic Beasts and where to find them

18. Star Wars: A New Hope

19. Star Wars Episode 2

20. Star Wars Episode 1

21. Fantastic Beats and the Crimes of Grindelwald

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. LotR (even though Hobbit films have lower quality, especially the last one)

2. Star Wars (though new trilogy was a disaster)

3. GoT (would be higher without last seasons)

4. Harry Potter (never got the appeal, I've watched one or two movies and felt no desire to see the whole story)

Ieatnettles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star wars, rots is my favourite movie

Ieatnettles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord of the Rings > Game of Thrones > Star Wars > Harry Potter

Game of Thrones is second because of season 8 and Star Wars is held back by the Prequels and Sequels

Held back by the prequels????????????? That is diabolical

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zafros13

@nn5: “Harry Potter (never got the appeal, I've watched one or two movies and felt no desire to see the whole story)”

I think there’s a connect-ability to the character.

Sorcerers Stone was made with so much sincerity.

Alfonso is an Oscar winning director who brings a lot of technical elements. https://youtu.be/yIfw9Q5ZR-U?feature=shared

Goblet of Fire shows Harry in his vulnerable awkward moments, (https://youtu.be/ju4tAtuY4-s?feature=shared) and it ends with Harry being tortured like a defenseless child but has to make a stand.

Order of the Phoenix focuses on mental health, confusion in his identity, distancing himself from his friends so he has less to lose, people expecting a lot out of him even though he’s just a 15 yr old, psychological vulnerabilities. Bitterness over loss. (https://youtu.be/o6FbtN7yhms?feature=shared)

6th is relationship drama and crushes.

7th is about friendship dynamics. The deteriation of the magical world he loves.

8th continues the 7ths having Harry see a new side of Dumbledore. Harry always idealized him and saw him as a perfect person. Daniel executed the line “I don’t care what happened between the two of you. I don’t care that you’ve given up. I trusted the man that I knew.” very well.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zafros13: Thanks for explanation though personally I didn't connect to the character, at least not after watching the first movie. Maybe I'd like it after seeing few more parts.

Kaiz3n49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars>Lord of the rings>Game Of Thrones>Harry Potter

Avatar image for brogokudestroys
brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game of Thrones has the best worldbuilding of any of these if you only count the movies/series. LOTR is probably the most perfect, but GoT has the best cast of characters, the best thematic execution, the best worldbuilding, etc.

Things would be different if we included books because then LOTR takes it

brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zafros13 said:

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition)

(Larger gap)

2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (theatrical cut)

5. Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

6. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

7. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (extended edition)

8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1

10. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

11. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2

12. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

13. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

14. Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince

15. The Hobbit: The Battle of 5 Armies

(Larger gap)

16. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

17. Fantastic Beasts and where to find them

18. Star Wars: A New Hope

19. Star Wars Episode 2

20. Star Wars Episode 1

21. Fantastic Beats and the Crimes of Grindelwald

Order of the Phoenix is lower than all three of the LOTR movies by a giant margin tbh. It's a good movie, but it isn't really that good. It lacks the same level of quality. Rewatching the LOTR trilogy, it's crazy how well directed some of these sequences are. The characters, themes, story, etc. are all top tier, so yeah I'll take LOTR (Two Towers and ROTK) over any Harry Potter film any day of the week

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zafros13

@brogokudestroys:

Return of the King: big issue is that before you get to the 3rd act the movie is pretty one-dimensional (when you get to mount doom and beyond the movie starts to kick into high gear but even then it’s not as good as Fellowship’s ending.) I have a decent bit of problems within the narrative before then: Aragorn’s arc isn’t good, him stepping up to kingship because his literal bloodline as opposed to his character traits is not very satisfying. Him picking up the sword should have felt like a multi-dimensional character moment but it felt more like a cheap moment because they throw in that Arwen is dying to raise personal stakes, doesn’t feel like authentic quality writing. The movie hyped up a Gandalf vs Witch King fight that doesn’t go anywhere. They also don’t explain that Pippin used a magic dagger against the Nazgûl, (the dagger being special was only stated in the FotR extended edition.) What I think is so weird about the Nazgûl is that they get hyped up so much but all they ever do (besides there mounts hitting stuff) is get their ass handed to them, I know there power is more psychological than physical but the movies don’t make that very clear. I think Sam beating a Maiar spider felt kind of stupid, I would have also liked Frodo and Sam to be challenged in more ways but I guess they wanted focus, pretty underwhelming mission though. Everybody’s character arc besides for Frodo and Sam are pretty “who cares”. The ghost army is overpowered.

Two Towers: one thing I really don’t like is that it keeps on cutting away from the battle to do the Ent conversions; really breaks the flow. The theatrical cut not having the Boromir/Faramir flashback was a huge mistake and is the worst scene cut of the trilogy because it leads to Faramir being underdeveloped. At the same time the extended cut adds unnecessary scenes so it’s not like the extended is much of an improvement. It definitely showed Gollum as a more complex character than RotK did.

Order of the Phoenix: Really well written thematically. Compelling narrative. Pretty unnerving, grounded, psychological, social-political. Really epic wizard duel. Drags a bit after the 2nd half. One issue I have is that I think the significance of seeing that his father was a bully wasn’t really there like how I would imagine that the novel did it.

Edit: what I will say though is that the ending portion of RotK is better than anything from OotP.

brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zafros13 said:

@brogokudestroys:

Return of the King: big issue is that before you get to the 3rd act the movie is pretty one-dimensional (when you get to mount doom and beyond the movie starts to kick into high gear but even then it’s not as good as Fellowship’s ending.) I have a decent bit of problems within the narrative before then: Aragorn’s arc isn’t good, him stepping up to kingship because his literal bloodline as opposed to his character traits is not very satisfying. Him picking up the sword should have felt like a multi-dimensional character moment but it felt more like a cheap moment because they throw in that Arwen is dying to raise personal stakes, doesn’t feel like authentic quality writing. The movie hyped up a Gandalf vs Witch King fight that doesn’t go anywhere. They also don’t explain that Pippin used a magic dagger against the Nazgûl, (the dagger being special was only stated in the FotR extended edition.) What I think is so weird about the Nazgûl is that they get hyped up so much but all they ever do (besides there mounts hitting stuff) is get their ass handed to them, I know there power is more psychological than physical but the movies don’t make that very clear. I think Sam beating a Maiar spider felt kind of stupid, I would have also liked Frodo and Sam to be challenged in more ways but I guess they wanted focus, pretty underwhelming mission though. Everybody’s character arc besides for Frodo and Sam are pretty “who cares”. The ghost army is overpowered.

Two Towers: one thing I really don’t like is that it keeps on cutting away from the battle to do the Ent conversions; really breaks the flow. The theatrical cut not having the Boromir/Faramir flashback was a huge mistake and is the worst scene cut of the trilogy because it leads to Faramir being underdeveloped. At the same time the extended cut adds unnecessary scenes so it’s not like the extended is much of an improvement. It definitely showed Gollum as a more complex character than RotK did.

Order of the Phoenix: Really well written thematically. Compelling narrative. Pretty unnerving, grounded, psychological, social-political. Really epic wizard duel. Drags a bit after the 2nd half. One issue I have is that I think the significance of seeing that his father was a bully wasn’t really there like how I would imagine that the novel did it.

Edit: what I will say though is that the ending portion of RotK is better than anything from OotP.

Fellowship's ending doesn't even come close to the sheer catharsis of ROTK's ending, as everything is tied up personally in a resonant and emotionally impactful manner.

Aragorn wasn't meant to be king just because of his bloodline. He himself had to actually accept who he was and would be rather than reject it due to the sins of his people. That arc comes to fruition with him accepting his heritage as the heir to Isuldur.

Most of these are personal complaints so there's nothing to really disagree with here.

The Two Towers is easily the most thematically rich story here focusing quite a bit more on the conflict of good and evil through the character of Gollum who gets quite a bit of exploration in this movie, with an incredible amount of conflict.

Faramir's development was perfectly fine to be honest and I can't really see any reason to extend it further. I don't think there needed to be a flashback at all. We know the relationship between them through dialogue and sure a flashback would have been cool, it wouldn't have added much that wasn't already in the film.

ROTK shows Gollum being overrun by his "ring" personality due to his own emotional weakness. He projects his guilt onto Frodo and uses Frodo as a sort of tool for his salvation; his belief that he can be redeemed. This is destroyed when Frodo supposedly betrays him, which leads to him giving into his other personality. He's complex throughout; ROTK simply shows him in the last stage of his transformation.

Order of the Phoenix is decent thematically but certainly nothing in comparison to The Two Towers in terms of depth or ROTK when it comes to tying everything back up. The epic wizard duel is cool and all, but there are at least 10 different sequences from each film that are above it in all aspects from filmmaking to writing and more.

Cheth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOTR >>> SW > GOT > HP

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zafros13

@brogokudestroys: “He's complex throughout; ROTK simply shows him in the last stage of his transformation.”

One thing I didn’t mention is I really do not know what they were trying to do with the Gollum flashback. Before they told us to sympathize him because he was once a normal guy but from the first frame he already looks creepy, there’s no humanizing because basically the first thing we see him do is murder somebody, and he’s already referring to himself as “we” which I thought was a post ring behavior.

Oh and also as for manufactured tension: Aragorn leaving at night and not telling anyone that was out to get help instead of people thinking he was abandoning them.

“ROTK shows Gollum being overrun by his "ring" personality due to his own emotional weakness. He projects his guilt onto Frodo and uses Frodo as a sort of tool for his salvation; his belief that he can be redeemed. This is destroyed when Frodo supposedly betrays him, which leads to him giving into his other personality. He's complex throughout; ROTK simply shows him in the last stage of his transformation.”

Most of that is from Two Towers. RotK doesn’t do much with him. TT handles him psychologically pretty well, I’ve personally had a voice in my head that trashes myself that I can’t shut up so the “you don’t have any friends, nobody likes you” “I’m not listening, I’m not listening” “you’re a liar and a thief, murrdurrer” “I hate you” is all good. I also like how he deludes himself into thinking he fixed the problem. When I’ve had mental health problems I got better and relapsed a lot (I definitely should have gotten therapy)

I would have preferred to have Gollum to be more in a state of confusion and inner conflict in RotK which would probably be more emotionally realistic (because I experience inner-identity shifts throughout the day which lead to inner conflict and I definitely don’t have multi-personality to anywhere close to Gollum’s extent) and more dynamic.

“Faramir's development was perfectly fine to be honest”

It further develops Boromir’s character because it shows us how he can tap into the hearts of the people with speech but there’s pressure on him to do so, what’s ironic about thie speech is that he tells people the Orcs won’t take this city again but they actually do very soon: “but his rule is failing, and our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right” (FotR) but more importantly it allows us to feel his family dynamic and why he’s desperate to do something significant which leads him to want to bend his morality because he’s fixated on that goal. We know and feel why letting the Hobbits go was a significant decision. It contrasts Faramir with Boromir.

“sure a flashback would have been cool,”

A common phrase is “show, don’t tell”

“Fellowship's ending doesn't even come close to the sheer catharsis of ROTK's ending,”

So RotK has a good ending, I certainly love moments like Sam being encouraged to take more initiative in his life because he went so close to death, his experiences strengthened his resolve. Frodo being in the reverse situation. Frodo passing his book to Sam. But Boromir is a better developed character than anybody. Amon Hen is an incredibly directed sequence, basically every 2nd is perfect, how it’s shot, how it’s edited, the sound design, how throughout the movie Frodo trusted Aragorn closely but now Frodo is tense around him. Lurtz is amazing. Aragorn bringing his groups spirits up when they are feeling down. Aragorn’s character development. Frodos last interaction with Merry and Pippin.

Order of the Phoenix is probably Radcliffe’s best acting of the series. He’s really a great actor, in this one he conveys pain and discomfort: https://youtu.be/QvjRcrHvfA8?feature=shared and for the Sirius death scene I love how Belatrix shows emotion (she just killed her cousin) but then hides it when Harry looks at her.

brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zafros13 said:

@brogokudestroys: “He's complex throughout; ROTK simply shows him in the last stage of his transformation.”

One thing I didn’t mention is I really do not know what they were trying to do with the Gollum flashback. Before they told us to sympathize him because he was once a normal guy but from the first frame he already looks creepy, there’s no humanizing because basically the first thing we see him do is murder somebody, and he’s already referring to himself as “we” which I thought was a post ring behavior.

Oh, that's simple really. Nobody becomes evil from the spot. Everyone has a bit of it inside them. It shows that despite the fact that he was still a good person by the beginning, there was a spark there. The beginning of that obsession started with something so innocent and minute. It's a great shot. Hell, the entire flashback makes it clear what the movie's trying to say. This character is tragic and it really shows how dangerous the ring is to someone's moral compass, which raises the stakes for Frodo's own journey.

Oh and also as for manufactured tension: Aragorn leaving at night and not telling anyone that was out to get help instead of people thinking he was abandoning them.

When was this?

“ROTK shows Gollum being overrun by his "ring" personality due to his own emotional weakness. He projects his guilt onto Frodo and uses Frodo as a sort of tool for his salvation; his belief that he can be redeemed. This is destroyed when Frodo supposedly betrays him, which leads to him giving into his other personality. He's complex throughout; ROTK simply shows him in the last stage of his transformation.”

Most of that is from Two Towers. RotK doesn’t do much with him. TT handles him psychologically pretty well, I’ve personally had a voice in my head that trashes myself that I can’t shut up so the “you don’t have any friends, nobody likes you” “I’m not listening, I’m not listening” “you’re a liar and a thief, murrdurrer” “I hate you” is all good. I also like how he deludes himself into thinking he fixed the problem. When I’ve had mental health problems I got better and relapsed a lot (I definitely should have gotten therapy)

Two Towers shows the conflict happening. ROTK shows the end result of it.

I would have preferred to have Gollum to be more in a state of confusion and inner conflict in RotK which would probably be more emotionally realistic (because I experience inner-identity shifts throughout the day which lead to inner conflict and I definitely don’t have multi-personality to anywhere close to Gollum’s extent) and more dynamic.

I don't really think that's at all necessary. It's nice but I don't think it's needed. Besides, multiple personalities are real life things. DID includes that. There are plenty of fictional characters with this disorder like Elliot Alderson, the Narrator from Fight Club, and more. I don't think this is anything particularly new.

“Faramir's development was perfectly fine to be honest”

It further develops Boromir’s character because it shows us how he can tap into the hearts of the people with speech but there’s pressure on him to do so, what’s ironic about thie speech is that he tells people the Orcs won’t take this city again but they actually do very soon: “but his rule is failing, and our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right” (FotR) but more importantly it allows us to feel his family dynamic and why he’s desperate to do something significant which leads him to want to bend his morality because he’s fixated on that goal. We know and feel why letting the Hobbits go was a significant decision. It contrasts Faramir with Boromir.

But a lot of this isn't really necessary and only messes with the pacing of the movie without adding anything that was needed. Like I said before, it's cool, but I don't think it's a must to add it.

“sure a flashback would have been cool,”

A common phrase is “show, don’t tell”

Yeah, but there's also "tell, don't show" in certain situations. Se7en is a great example of that being done right. Persona is another.

“Fellowship's ending doesn't even come close to the sheer catharsis of ROTK's ending,”

So RotK has a good ending, I certainly love moments like Sam being encouraged to take more initiative in his life because he went so close to death, his experiences strengthened his resolve. Frodo being in the reverse situation. Frodo passing his book to Sam. But Boromir is a better developed character than anybody. Amon Hen is an incredibly directed sequence, basically every 2nd is perfect, how it’s shot, how it’s edited, the sound design, how throughout the movie Frodo trusted Aragorn closely but now Frodo is tense around him. Lurtz is amazing. Aragorn bringing his groups spirits up when they are feeling down. Aragorn’s character development. Frodos last interaction with Merry and Pippin.

Boromir is a better developed character, but Frodo's internal conflict is better than anyone's in the series by a long shot. Frodo's paranoia is better executed in later movies with better development. Those are really solid portions of the ending, but ROTK wraps up Aragorn's character development perfectly, it parallels Frodo and Bilbo extremely nicely, it ends off Sam's journey perfectly, and it's far more emotionally satisfying than Fellowship's.

Order of the Phoenix is probably Radcliffe’s best acting of the series. He’s really a great actor, in this one he conveys pain and discomfort: https://youtu.be/j7H-iNImxX4?feature=shared

Radcliffe does a good job in the movie in terms of acting yeah. I'd say LOTR's cast is better by a small margin though

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zafros13

@brogokudestroys: “When was this?”

When he leaves to get the ghost army.

“Besides, multiple personalities are real life things.“

I don’t see what your point is. I’m saying he should be more conflicted like someone in real life with multiple personalities would be.

“but ROTK wraps up Aragorn's character development perfectly,”

I find it disappointing that every LotRs movie develops Aragorn worse than the last. For a movie called RotK they don’t do much with Aragorn becoming king. I’m not saying they did the worse they could do (it’s just to be the best movie of all time you’d expect high caliber writing,) after all he does give a speech to his people but for this final chapter I would have liked to have seen more leading (like Gandalf does do,) his mission to become king is literally just to bring in an over powered 3rd party which he can control because of his bloodline. And ultimately he barely interact with the people of Gondor.

“really shows how dangerous the ring is to someone's moral compass“

They could tried to show atleast a tiny bit of him seeming like a good person. But actually I do see what you’re saying here that it did do.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOTR > Star Wars > Game of Thrones > HP

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zafros13

@brogokudestroys: One thing that has bothered me but I can also maybe understand the approach was that it’s underwhelming that FotR is more of a coming to age story about taking personal accountability and then you get to RotK and Frodo is not able to do anything on his own.

He has that moment where he remembers Galadriel telling him “this task was appointed to you Frodo of the Shire. If you do not find a way, no one will.” (https://youtu.be/1UvEVr1MYkg?feature=shared) but then he proceeds to get paralyzed and saved by Sam immediately after.

However being failed hero is part of it. And the general point of the story is nobody is the true big hero, everyone needs to accept the humility that it’s not all about them, the belief that it’s all about yourself is what draws people to the ring (and Sam is the truest hero (stated by Tolkien,) of whom accepted that it is his friends task when he could have taken it up for himself.) In the “you bow to no one” scene when the camera closes in on Frodo’s face he looks sad. I probably feels like he let everyone down. (https://youtu.be/No114MsclOc?feature=shared)

But as for having to find a way. ForR hyped the journey up quite a bit, but there ended up not being very much nuance to the mission when it comes to being in Mordor. Possibly intended to be about “nothing to fear but fear itself.” which would also tie into how the Nazgûl are not a threat at all if you’re not afraid of them.