Star Wars: The Last Jedi box office predictions?

• 52 results
tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tj849
No Caption Provided

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

Appox: All the Money

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

800 mil

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b52676c320
deactivated-5a2b52676c320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see it getting at least 1.5 bil, maybe even 2 when it's all said and done.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.1b+. I am making a safe assumption because I need my cred back after Justice League.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

1 billion for sure. It's definitely not going to bring in as much as TFA cause there was the whole "return of Star Wars" and all that.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Supermanforever

im predicting 180 milion opening weekend and total 1,4 billion gross and domestic total 550 milion

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 billion min

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Amcu

I'll say what I said in another thread. Assuming it gets great reception and reviews.

Star Wars the Last Jedi $200M-$230M OW, $600M-$850M DOM, $1.6B-$2B WW.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im predicting 180 milion opening weekend and total 1,4 billion gross and domestic total 550 milion

Any reason for why you think it will have such a drop off? Age of Ultron's drop off from Avengers wasn't even close to that bad. The Last Jedi is already tracking for over $200 million opening weekend.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gotoucanario

Enough to feed millions of african children. /s

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

A bunch of midichlorians

Avatar image for deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f
deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 Billion at the very least.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.6-1.8

Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:
@supermanforever said:

Any reason for why you think it will have such a drop off? Age of Ultron's drop off from Avengers wasn't even close to that bad. The Last Jedi is already tracking for over $200 million opening weekend.

it could very well be 200 milion but im guessing 180 million atleast and 550 million is not big drop actually. It will be good result. But it could go for more you never know

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Amcu

@supermanforever: It's true that you never know, anything could happen but a $550 million domestic total would be a massive drop off. All of your predictions are massive drop offs. If it does $180M opening weekend than that would be a $67 million drop from Episode 7, If it drops to $550 domestic it would have a $386 million drop off, if it drops to $850 million overseas than it would have $281 million drop off and overall World Wide you think it will have a $668 million drop off from The Force Awakens. That would be about a third less than the last movie which is a massive drop off especially for a film coming off of an extremely well received one. I'm not saying its impossible for that to happen I just don't see why it would.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

1.4 billion at the very Lowest.

2.1 billion at the most.

Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

@supermanforever: It's true that you never know, anything could happen but a $550 million domestic total would be a massive drop off. All of your predictions are massive drop offs. If it does $180M opening weekend than that would be a $67 million drop from Episode 7, If it drops to $550 domestic it would have a $386 million drop off, if it drops to $850 million overseas than it would have $281 million drop off and overall World Wide you think it will have a $668 million drop off from The Force Awakens. That would be about a third less than the last movie which is a massive drop off especially for a film coming off of an extremely well received one. I'm not saying its impossible for that to happen I just don't see why it would.

there are known movies that have opened big a and dropped. What makes you think that couldnt happen to star wars. Soeciallly alot of star wars interest have warn of since force awakenes. Star wars are big grossers because they release on the end of the december. If they wouldnt they would be on the level on good grossing comic book movies. Overrated franchise.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

$1.6 Billion on the high end

$1.1Billion on the low end

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Amcu

@supermanforever said:

there are known movies that have opened big a and dropped. What makes you think that couldnt happen to star wars. Soeciallly alot of star wars interest have warn of since force awakenes. Star wars are big grossers because they release on the end of the december. If they wouldnt they would be on the level on good grossing comic book movies. Overrated franchise.

1. It could happen to Star Wars I just don't see why it would.

2. That's true and I doubt it will do as well as the Force Awakens but I also don't think it will take a massive dive. I could be wrong but I think I read that The Last Jedi is by far the most talked about film of the year and like one of the most talked about films in history. Maybe I'm wrong about that though.

3. I don't see how that matters as The Last Jedi is releasing in December.

4. No they wouldn't. What do you consider a good grossing comic book movie? Is that only the Avengers films? Regardless I don't see why The Force Awakens wouldn't have beaten Avengers in the summer. I know Christmas helps but the summer is also the most popular time to watch movies isn't it? Maybe Star Wars movies would make less but I don't see why The Force Awakens would drop by a fourth Word Wide to Avengers numbers.

I'm not saying its impossible for you to be right, you could certainly be right. I just was wondering why you thought it would have such a drop as I can't see any reasons for it to.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More than Avengers, less than force Awakens.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$1.6 Billion on the high end

$1.1Billion on the low end

Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: dude if thats your estimate keep it to yourself and i keep mine. We will talk after december.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least 1.7 billion.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Amcu

@supermanforever: Yeah you have every right to your opinion. I probably never should have bothered you. Sorry.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Asgaard
@supermanforever said:

@amcu: dude if thats your estimate keep it to yourself and i keep mine. We will talk after december.

Its not really just a question of estimates, Amcu explained very well all the variables involved in the discussion here, and what comes from your posts is more a matter of preferences or at best an unexplained feeling, yet (at least in my view) the why always will be important in these kind of discussions...

I never was a big fan of Star Wars [it has an incredible worldbuilding but everything is Earth related (mentalities/beliefs), when it should not be] but Star Wars is the most influential franchise in pop culture, the one and only that was able to corrupt critics in their first appreciation of the prequels, its something with a huge power, so even if i do believe that episode VIII will not be able to replicate episode VII nostalgia, there is nothing saying that episode VIII will no do what Havenless said in the post #22....

@havenless said:

I don't even see it (in any scenario) making less than $1.7B, this year not many people went to watch movies (specially in the domestic market) and i am pretty sure that Ep. VIII will also capitalize on that...

Other discussion is Star Wars ability to expand their cinematic universe beyond stuff from the original trilogy....

Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Star wars beeing so influencal is mostly in regions of america and europe. I was grown in russia and we never ever heard about star wars back in the days neither in Asia etc. Star wars grosses lately alot with big advantage due to december release.

look good comic book movie grossing ratios compared lets say star wars rogue one. 1 billion worldwide for rogue one and its clear half of it is made at domestic and 500 million at foreign isnt very impressive for franchise caliber of star wars.

Casual example Captain america civil war grossed more than rogue one and it was not released in december and many other comic book grossed in the same range even though it was not december release.

Star wars force awakens was different story as it was first franchise movie in long time and the overhyped fanboys with good critics made historic box office, but lets not deny that force awakens grossed shit ton more due to movie beeing released on new year/christmas holidays. i believe that movies would gross 300-400 million less if it was not relased on christmas days.

In my honest opinion, star wars is most overhyped and overrated franchise in old and in modern days. Comic books are way more known. Casual example once again back when i was grown up in Russia, we never really heard of Star wars and it was not like we were cut from the world completely. We still very well knew characters like Superman, Batman, wonder woman, spider man and many more comics book characters.

OT. I think Star wars will still gross shit ton because Luke Skywalker comming back, obvs hype/christmas release. I believe it could be around 1,5 billion range and 500+ mil domestic. I think 900+ million at foregin is actually a bit highballing by me. But lets wait and see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OW 188m

Dom 780m

WW 1.58b

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 billion for sure. It's definitely not going to bring in as much as TFA cause there was the whole "return of Star Wars" and all that.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By helloman

1 Billion min.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Asgaard

@supermanforever:

Star wars beeing so influencal is mostly in regions of america and europe. I was grown in russia and we never ever heard about star wars back in the days neither in Asia etc. Star wars grosses lately alot with big advantage due to december release.

I don't necessarily disagree, but the huge franchise + December release is making incredibly well in the domestic market...

look good comic book movie grossing ratios compared lets say star wars rogue one. 1 billion worldwide for rogue one and its clear half of it is made at domestic and 500 million at foreign isnt very impressive for franchise caliber of star wars.

Sure, but still is money... And Wonder Woman also played more like Star Wars and Hunger Games than the cb movie norm...

Casual example Captain america civil war grossed more than rogue one and it was not released in december and many other comic book grossed in the same range even though it was not december release.

Not really sure about Cap Civil War, if it was the Avengers in the title i have no doubts that probably would make more money than in the summer season because it also would had the capability to chase away competition, yes what is working in favor of December/Star Wars is the fear from other movie studios to put movies close to Star Wars. Wonder Woman 2 didn't risk it... When December was Hobbit territory there were more blockbusters released in the mentioned time period.

Star wars force awakens was different story as it was first franchise movie in long time and the overhyped fanboys with good critics made historic box office, but lets not deny that force awakens grossed shit ton more due to movie beeing released on new year/christmas holidays. i believe that movies would gross 300-400 million less if it was not relased on christmas days.

Probably would depend on the competition and if other movie studios keep the "don't release anything against Star Wars" in other months that not December, that i doubt they would...

In my honest opinion, star wars is most overhyped and overrated franchise in old and in modern days. Comic books are way more known. Casual example once again back when i was grown up in Russia, we never really heard of Star wars and it was not like we were cut from the world completely. We still very well knew characters like Superman, Batman, wonder woman, spider man and many more comics book characters.

But the US market still reigns as the most influential, and with the expansion in Asia will not be hard for Star Wars (at least in the short term) keep making a lot of money when we combine all the markets...

OT. I think Star wars will still gross shit ton because Luke Skywalker comming back, obvs hype/christmas release. I believe it could be around 1,5 billion range and 500+ mil domestic. I think 900+ million at foregin is actually a bit highballing by me. But lets wait and see.

Like i said in the reply to your first quote, i don't necessarily disagree about your notions of Star Wars and the international markets appeal, but domestically (where more people go to the movies during the Christmas season) with "Pitch Perfect 3" flopping like pro.boxoffice is predicting andabsolutely no action blockbuster competition till BP... It will certainly do a lot more than $500M....

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's star wars so a lot

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$1.83 b.

Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: wont respont to all things you said because i agree with them. True at domsetic level Star wars is huge no denying.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way more than Justice League's Box Office

Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way more than Justice League's Box Office

lol thats for sure.

Bastets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bastets
tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less than Justice League

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Omega_kai

2 billion or 2.5 billion

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By buttersdaman000

More than it deserves

jao48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jao48

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

less than Avengers maybe. TFA only made bank cause it was the first Star Wars movie in 10 years. Also the whole "new trilogy thing". Its gonna make more than a billion but I seriously don't see it making that much more than 1.2 bil

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#46 frozen  Moderator

less than Avengers maybe. TFA only made bank cause it was the first Star Wars movie in 10 years. Also the whole "new trilogy thing". Its gonna make more than a billion but I seriously don't see it making that much more than 1.2 bil

Rogue One made $1.056 billion without the advertisement of the OT characters and lightsabers. Considering TLJ has the return of Luke and continues the sequel storyline I can see it making much more than Rogue One, probably 1.8 or 1.9 billion.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Amcu

Dang the reactions I'm reading on social media are very mixed. I'm going to lower my floor to $1.5 billion.

Edit: Make that a $1.4 billion floor.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Amcu

I wonder what the second weekend drop will be. I've seen a couple of people that think it will take at least a 60% drop. If that happens than I doubt it will match my predictions. It might even struggle topping Avengers and Jurassic World.

That's still a good result just below expectations.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanforever: Well I think I should apologize. Sorry man, I've got to admit I was totally wrong and you were definitely right.

The Last Jedi has currently made $1,296,284,476. I don't think its gonna make much more. Source.

Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

@supermanforever: Well I think I should apologize. Sorry man, I've got to admit I was totally wrong and you were definitely right.

The Last Jedi has currently made $1,296,284,476. I don't think its gonna make much more. Source.

lol no problem bro. Star wars is still not finished in theatres and will surely cross 1,3 billion. Watching current drop rate i would say it will make atleast another 20 million on domestic box office could be more and little more than that on foreighn. I would say it will come close 1,34 billion or so. I predicted 1,4 billion and 550 million on domestic but that was due the fact that i expected to open less than 200 million but it opened with 220, which was quite suprizing. It did more on domestic but less at foreign. Star wars still doesnt have the popularity in asian countries. Its strong at domestic, australia, europe and it did fine in china. Its still not comic book level popular in south america, african countries, asian countries due to people not beeing related to star wars.
All thing aside 1,3 billion is huge success.

From box office stuff i have really good knowledge about movie box office cause i follow it pretty much daily, i find it enjoyable for some reason lol.

But even i didnt predict Justice league to gross so badly lol :))