• 96 results
Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Batman3000

So I was at Fan Expo tonight and Stan The Man Lee was there. I went there with my friend and we're soaking in every single word (Stan's my idol :) and someone brought up the recent controversy of Zendeya potentially being MJ. He literally responded with "What's the problem?" He then continued with how she is a beautiful and talented actress. I think the way he responded was cool. What do you guys think of his response? Agree or not?

The_Batmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Her name is Zendaya, did you spell it wrong on purpose? Typical rasict.

Sionnach001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sionnach001

I don't care as long as they dye her hair red.

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By blackagar
Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAhahahaha..

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is actually my exact thought. Heck, my biggest problem with the Aquaman casting for the DCEU is that he's not blond when that is literally part of his backstory.

Lawz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last I checked nobody I knew even cares. Hopefully she's a great actress and kicks some ass.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: It's part of his backstory? Hate to sound stupid.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing really.

Regardless of how he feels about it it's the answer he should have given, people would have made things hard for a very old man if he didn't agree.

There's a reason it's called political correct.

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only ones who don't care about her being MJ are the casuals, the SJWs, and those who don't care about the source material. Pretty much everyone else who actually reads spider-man sees it for what it is..More political correct pandering by Marvel.

Btw, Stan also approved of the new Fantastic Four yet we saw how it turned out

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. I could be misremembering because its been a while since I've read Aquaman comics but basically the Atalantians were superstitious of blond hair because it was the sign of a curse that he would bring ruin to them all, thus when he was born he was basically left for dead to fend for himself in the oceans. Though I don't know if that's still the same for the New 52.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stan is the quintessential gentleman and diplomat. Of course he is going say that in public. Would love to know what he really thinks.

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/stan-lee-says-spider-man-should-always-be-white-and-heterosexual-10340501.html

werkudoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sionnach001: Even if they give her red hair she's still doesn't have MJ look. We are the fans growing up with her iconic character for me more than 20 years i expected to stay that way

Sionnach001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@werkudoro:

I'd prefer her that way too, but I'm willing to compromise.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jasonhawke

Sounds like generic PR talk to me.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By jumpstart55
  • This is the same guy that said he hated the idea of Peter Park being race swapped into a black dude(Which i,m completely against)...I think we can throw all the BS PC pandering nonsense out the window on this one..
  • Maybe just maybe Stan Lee honestly doesn't really care that much about Zendaya playing MJ..And is actually really ok with the decision.
  • I mean lets be real here for a second and not pretend that MJ is one of those sacred beloved comic characters..She just the girl next door/damsel in distress that Spidey falls for. Easily interchangeable with Gwen Stacy in regards to the narrative..Shes pretty much in the same league as Vicky Vale and Alicia Masters.
  • Would i have preferred a red haired ginger Marry Jane Watson? Sure it would have added some of the nuance of the comics into the film..But i,m certainly not going to boycott the film or not see it in protest..Its honestly a change i can live with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Come on, Stan.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stan is the quintessential gentleman and diplomat. Of course he is going say that in public. Would love to know what he really thinks.

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/stan-lee-says-spider-man-should-always-be-white-and-heterosexual-10340501.html

I agree with this. There's even video of it too.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• I mean lets be real here for a second and not pretend that MJ is one of those sacred beloved comic characters..She just the girl next door/damsel in distress that Spidey falls for. Easily interchangeable with Gwen Stacy in regards to the narrative..Shes pretty much in the same league as Vicky Vale and Alicia Masters.

And this is where you are wrong, Mary Jane is an essential part of Peter´s character, not to mention she is one of the best supporting characters ever created, putting her on the same level of Alicia Masters is plain wrong, even for non-spidey fans who just read other comics and for non-comics fans, MJ is the second most recognizable superhero´s love interest.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@aros001 said:
@llehdevil said:

Yeah. I could be misremembering because its been a while since I've read Aquaman comics but basically the Atalantians were superstitious of blond hair because it was the sign of a curse that he would bring ruin to them all, thus when he was born he was basically left for dead to fend for himself in the oceans. Though I don't know if that's still the same for the New 52.

nope. thats the pre-flashpoint origin

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jumpstart55

@thor_parker82 said:
@jumpstart55 said:

And this is where you are wrong, Mary Jane is an essential part of Peter´s character, not to mention she is one of the best supporting characters ever created, putting her on the same level of Alicia Masters is plain wrong, even for non-spidey fans who just read other comics and for non-comics fans, MJ is the second most recognizable superhero´s love interest.

Yea thats not what i meant shes certainly head and shoulders above Alicia Master in terms of popularity..But in term of characterization their on the same level imo..Been reading Spider man for over 16 years, and have read Spidey comics from every decade since his creation in the 1960s..And i can honestly say i don't find MJ that great of a character..Shes just a crutch/stepping stool for Spider-man to grow and experience emotional angst(I get it shes literally doing her job as a good supporting character but besides that she doesn't stand out to me as a particularly great character on her own. An alright character? sure, but certainly not great..I find Lois Lane to be way more interesting and appealing as a character(At Least she can stand on her own and stay interesting without Supes)...But hay if you think MJ is a good character that's cool, but i personally just don't share that sentiment.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Thor-Parker

@jumpstart55 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@jumpstart55 said:

Yea thats not what i meant shes certainly head and shoulders above Alicia Master in terms of popularity..But in term of characterization their on the same level imo..Been reading Spider man for over 16 years, and have read Spidey comics from every decade since his creation in the 1960s..And i can honestly say i don't find MJ that great of a character..Shes just a crutch/stepping stool for Spider-man to grow and experience emotional angst(I get it shes literally doing her job as a good supporting character but besides that she doesn't stand out to me as a particularly great character on her own. An alright character? sure, but certainly not great..I find Lois Lane to be way more interesting and appealing as a character(At Least she can stand on her own and stay interesting without Supes)...But hay if you think MJ is a good character that's cool, but i personally just don't share that sentiment.

Well, it´s a matter of opinions, to me, Mary Jane actually is the best supporting character in any comic book, what she brings to the table in the Spidey universe is amazing and I have never come across a supporting character and a love interest so well written and interesting.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@jumpstart55 said:

Well, it´s a matter of opinions, to me, Mary Jane actually is the best supporting character in any comic book, what she brings to the table in the Spidey universe is amazing and I have never come across a supporting character and a love interest so well written and interesting.

Yea dont get me wrong i think shes a good character and an amazing supporting character..But all time great comic character she is not imo...Especially when you consider the stiff competition and the massive pool of all time great comic characters.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@jumpstart55 said:

Yea dont get me wrong i think shes a good character and an amazing supporting character..But all time great comic character she is not imo...Especially when you consider the stiff competition and the massive pool of all time great comic characters.

Do you agree that she´s one of the best love interests ??

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was initially annoyed by the casting since I consider MJ "iconic" but this is pretty much all thats needed

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4b69179aa7
deactivated-57d4b69179aa7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't matter. As long as she plays the part well, her race shouldn't be an issue.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@jumpstart55 said:

Yea definitely..Shes up there with Lois Lane, Catwomen,Wasp,Jean Grey,Black Canary and Invisible Women.

Sionnach001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sionnach001 said:

I was initially annoyed by the casting since I consider MJ "iconic" but this is pretty much all thats needed

I consider her iconic too, but as I said, I'm trying to not be so rigid. The one thing that I consider realllly iconic about her is her hair. I mean...how expensive is hair dye y'know? :)

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Thor-Parker

@thor_parker82 said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@jumpstart55 said:

Yea definitely..Shes up there with Lois Lane, Catwomen,Wasp,Jean Grey,Black Canary and Invisible Women.

At least we can agree on that :)

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

She is not even Mary Jane.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only ones who don't care about her being MJ are the casuals, the SJWs, and those who don't care about the source material. Pretty much everyone else who actually reads spider-man sees it for what it is..More political correct pandering by Marvel.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Too many band wagon jumping non-believers around sprouting insignificant opinions. The very same people who don't read the comics, who are not loyal nor respectful of the original source material, therefore know absolutely nothing about the character's history and iconic significance.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38 the_stegman  Moderator

If she is MJ, which no one said she is yet, I'm more concerned with her attitude. Please don't make her some girl next door GF again. Give her some spice.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 fesak  Moderator

It's not even necessary to cast a human as MJ. A horse would be great and progressive choice.

It's time to stop this human pandering, it's 2016 for dogs sake.

Mexicutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What actually is the problem with it though?

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manmadeofketchup said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Too many band wagon jumping non-believers around sprouting insignificant opinions. The very same people who don't read the comics, who are not loyal nor respectful of the original source material, therefore know absolutely nothing about the character's history and iconic significance.

And what about the people that DO read the comics, who ARE loyal to the source material, know about the character's history and iconic significance and still don't care about the change?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much salt in this thread.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye said:
@manmadeofketchup said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

And what about the people that DO read the comics, who ARE loyal to the source material, know about the character's history and iconic significance and still don't care about the change?

Apparently at that point you aren't a true fan is what most will tell you.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peterparkerjr said:
@magnetic_eye said:
@manmadeofketchup said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Apparently at that point you aren't a true fan is what most will tell you.

Smh. Ridiculous.

ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye said:
@manmadeofketchup said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

All that means is you have no respect for the source material. Anyone who was truly loyal to the source would want to see a proper portrayal of the character, not a race change for the sake of pandering.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PeterParkerJr

@manmadeofketchup said:
@peterparkerjr said:
@magnetic_eye said:
@manmadeofketchup said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

All that means is you have no respect for the source material. Anyone who was truly loyal to the source would want to see a proper portrayal of the character, not a race change for the sake of pandering.

Being fine with a change doesn't make that person any less of a loyal fan to the source material than you, or I. That's ridiculous.

ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manmadeofketchup said:
@peterparkerjr said:
@magnetic_eye said:
@manmadeofketchup said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Being fine with a change doesn't make that person any less of a loyal fan to the source material than you, or I. That's ridiculous.

No, what's ridiculous is calling yourself loyal to the material yet being ok with a change made for no other reason than political correctness. What does it add to her character? Nothing. She's not even that good of an actress. That'd be like saying you're loyal to the source material and would be ok if they took Batman and put him in a pink and purple polkadot costume while having him have Spider-man's personality.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's a beautiful talented actress. I think she'll do alright for MJ but I understand that Marvel wants to pander to other races by doing this

Mexicutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manmadeofketchup: Who says it's done for pandering? Who says she wasn't best and most fitting actress for the character? Out of all facets of MJs character her race is probably the least important.