Spider-Man: The Animated Series vs Batman: The Animated Series

• 60 results
Butt_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Spider-Man: The Animated Series vs Batman: The Animated Series (86 votes)

Spider-Man 47%
Batman 52%

Which show did you enjoy more?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Spiderman TAS doesn't even compare to Batman TAS

Batman TAS all day.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Spider-Man was my favorite cartoon as a kid. It used overlapping plots and character development. It would give me incentive to watch every episode, because missing one could be like missing a important chapter in the life of Peter Parker.

Batman was alright. It was more in the style of the classic Superman cartoon from the 1940s. It would only focus on one episode at a time, and didn't have much of a overlapping story. The only people who really received character development were the villains in the early seasons. It was great for what it was, but I preferred the other writing style.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nickzambuto

Batman TAS is so overrated. Episodic, little character development, way more tame and childish than those caught up in nostalgia care to admit. And besides Conroy and Hamill, the voice acting ranged from completely forgettable, to sometimes downright embarrassing! Like squeaky Bane.

https://youtu.be/8zaJdLb07NU

This is the campiest fight scene I've ever seen.

Spider-Man had massive character development, a continuous, evolving story, fantastic villains and iconic voice acting from everybody. The Venom arc was incredible.

Capfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow this a tough one, they were both good but leaning to Batman.

MsSelene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man for me.

Redsayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

B:TAS for me.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By modernww2fare

@nickzambuto said:

Batman TAS is so overrated. Episodic, little character development, way more tame and childish than care to admit. And besides Conroy and Hamill, the voice acting ranged from completely forgettable, to sometimes downright embarrassing! Like squeaky Bane.

It's better than Arrow

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man the animated series was better in my opinion. The first series is debatable but Spider-Man got better and better as it went on whereas I feel Batman stagnated a little.

DanMarshall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DanMarshall

Spidey is my favorite comic book character or at least was, all his cartoons are difficult to sit through when going back to them including TAS. Batman will just suck you in, while the later episodes got cheaper and much uglier they're still watchable and can be enjoyed.

Plus Batman was allowed to actually punch bad guys and characters could shoot real guns instead of Laser/Sonic guns.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is where I got my username from... such fond memories

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@modernww2fare said:

Batman TAS is so overrated. Episodic, little character development, way more tame and childish than care to admit. And besides Conroy and Hamill, the voice acting ranged from completely forgettable, to sometimes downright embarrassing! Like squeaky Bane.

It's better than Arrow

No Caption Provided

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wolfrazer

@nickzambuto said:

Spider-Man had massive character development, a continuous, evolving story, fantastic villains and iconic voice acting from everybody. The Venom arc was incredible.

I just noticed in that fight, the guard rails are made of rubber apparently lol.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modernww2fare: Lol. Your spiteful attempts to pointlessly insult a show I like just because I disagreed with your opinion on a cartoon aren't effective, because you're completely objectively wrong.

Look at that clip I posted. The villain is a squeaky Lucha Libre with almost no character, and the fight choreography consists of awkward and stilted movements, the environment randomly turning into cartoon rubber, and Batman using the exact same leg suplex move three times in a row until Bane awkwardly grabs him and throws him.

It's freaking comical. You know those self righteous types, the pseudo-high culture type who will laugh at you for watching a cartoon and thinks that comic books are for kids? That Batman TAS scene is what they have in mind when they're making that judgement.

No, it is not better than Arrow. Arrow at its best is some of the best television I've ever experienced. Arrow at its worst is equivalently bad... but no, it never gets as bad as that kiddy drivel I just watched where the fight choreography consists of Batman using the same leg suplex three times in a row.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By modernww2fare
Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Spiderman TAS doesn't even compare to Batman TAS

Batman TAS all day.

Yep. Neat and tidy summary.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

Well, at least Batman was allowed to Punch.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Arrow

Batman TAS.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nickzambuto

@all-father: Yes but when the fight scenes are so utterly lazy and uncreative as that, not to mention the stilted and awkward animation, I don't really mind the route Spider-Man took. There were no traditional back-and-forth "fight scenes" of exchanging strikes, but it's not like the show didn't have action scenes. The show was not at all lacking in excitement or stakes. It was such high quality writing that they really didn't need to throw strikes. You need only watch the Venom arcs (Spidey getting the black suit, through his encounter with Venom, to the conclusion of Carnage) to see how dark and heart pounding and intriguing the show could be.

And then season 5? With Secret Wars, Spider-Men, the multiverse, and friggin scary af SPIDER-CARNAGE?! It's amazing.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gracetrack

Back in the day I enjoyed Spider-Man TAS a little more. Nowadays, I'd probably have to say Batman TAS. Something about it has allowed it to age better than Spidey TAS, in my opinion. Then again, maybe it's just that my tastes have changed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

Well i'd have to disagree with you sir.

I watched Batman TAS both as a child and twice as an adult, and i loved it more as an adult. It revolutionized Batman in way rivaled of The Dark Knight Returns, it didn't focus on it's heroes but more on its villains. The character development wasn't focused on Batman at all, it focused more on his rogues gallery. Mr Freeze, clay face, Joker, Two Face, Killer Croc, Harley Quinn, Riddler, Catwoman.. it gave them humanity, grounded them, explained their origin in beautiful way, explained their motives better than any modern CBM movie I've seen. Robin's Reckoning (Part 1) is a personal favorite of mine, it even won an Emmy for best half hour or less Program. I'll admit Bane was a bit iffy in TAS, but he was done justice in "The New Batman Adventures".

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@all-father: I see. You're right, I exaggerated in my post. I don't mean to say that Batman was actually a BAD show. It's a great cartoon. But I wouldn't call it amazing. That's just me though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Keep this up. Your counter posts on a load of threads have been great, lately.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BTAS EASILY

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nickzambuto

@ganon15: For one thing, the aspect that Batman TAS is most praised for, the villains... Arrow is literally doing the exact same thing. It's taking these D and C list villains, reimagining them, giving them depth, making them badass, and in some cases, elevating them in the cultural eye. Deathstroke is not the respectable B lister he is today without Manu Bennett. Then we've also got Merlyn, Damien Darhk who was below a Z lister, Brick, recently Prometheus, Nyssa al Ghul, are all awesome characters now.

And sure Arrow had a couple seasons of downtime, but it's also a serialized and continuous story, unlike TAS. So even in those seasons of downtime, we had characters like Laurel and Thea who were developing and being awesome, and that at least gave the show some degree of genuine quality even at its very darkest point. What I like most about Arrow over Batman is it's treatment of the main character. Like Deathstroke, Green Arrow himself has been elevated to being a respectable B lister. TAS Batman has sparing moments of character and depth, and when they're there they're really good, but half the time he's a stoic mary sue. CW's portrayal of Oliver Queen is, in the eyes of many people, their favorite character on TV right now.

And what Arrow did for action scenes on live action TV can't be disregarded. Without Arrow, I honestly think we would have received a very different Daredevil.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ganon15

@nickzambuto said:

@ganon15: For one thing, the aspect that Batman TAS is most praised for, the villains... Arrow is literally doing the exact same thing. It's taking these D and C list villains, reimagining them, giving them depth, making them badass, and in some cases, elevating them in the cultural eye. Deathstroke is not the respectable B lister he is today without Manu Bennett. Then we've also got Merlyn, Damien Darhk who was below a Z lister, Brick, recently Prometheus, Nyssa al Ghul, are all awesome characters now.

And sure Arrow had a couple seasons of downtime, but it's also a serialized and continuous story, unlike TAS. So even in those seasons of downtime, we had characters like Laurel and Thea who were developing and being awesome, and that at least gave the show some degree of genuine quality even at its very darkest point. What I like most about Arrow over Batman is it's treatment of the main character. Like Deathstroke, Green Arrow himself has been elevated to being a respectable B lister. TAS Batman has sparing moments of character and depth, and when they're there they're really good, but half the time he's a stoic mary sue. CW's portrayal of Oliver Queen is, in the eyes of many people, their favorite character on TV right now.

And what Arrow did for action scenes on live action TV can't be disregarded. Without Arrow, I honestly think we would have received a very different Daredevil.

Teen Titans would like a word with you.

@ganon15:

But Arrow itself draws influence from The Raid.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15: Deathstroke became a respectable B lister because the combination of appearances in his favor. Anyone who was around in between Teen Titans and Arrow can tell you that he obviously wasn't relevant in the cultural eye yet, the most relevance he had was teenagers might say "Slade? Omg you mean that guy from Teen Titans?! Omg I used to love that cartoon!"

So Teen Titans alone obviously didn't do it all. Granted, without Teen Titans, Arrow wouldn't have done it alone either. And even his appearance in Arkham Origins was vital to the state of cultural awareness and potential Deathstroke now enjoys, with DC pushing his comics hard because they know he's a name that can sell now and also trying really hard to get him in the movies. All three of these worked together to bring Deathstroke to the point he's at now, I never said Arrow did it alone, but that Arrow was vital for him to get there, as the other two were as well.

If we were comparing Arrow to Teen Titans then they would be equal in this regard. But we're comparing Arrow to Batman TAS, not to Teen Titans. You asked what advangages Arrow has over Batman TAS, and pushing Deathstroke was one of them.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By jumpstart55
  • Batman: Tas in a alpha Super Saiyan, Roided out Kangaroo godstomp!!!!
  • Spider-man isnt even the best Spidey show and has absolutely no place being compared to a show as Brilliant as Batman: Tas.
  • I havent seen a poll mismatch this bad on Comic Vine in a very long time.
Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@all-father: To be fair, Spider-Man the animated series also did that with it's villains while developing Peter at the same time. The very first episode focuses on the Lizard who's just a desperate scientist with a wife and child. It works better for some villains than others of course but Harry Osbourne, Norman Obsbourne, Wilson Fisk, Alistair Smythe and many others got good character development in Spider-Man the Animated Series.

Of course this doesn't take away from Batman either. I love both shows.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@nickzambuto:Language warning for "nostalgiaf@gs." This is not okay to say. There is no clause in the rules that say you can use slurs if they are censored. Don't use slurs. There's never a good excuse in the forums.

@all-father: @wolfrazer: @lubub55: @modernww2fare: Calling you guys because you all quoted the comment. One of you twice. In the future try to be careful what you quote. It can get you caught up in the drama.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up watching Spider-man TAS, so I kind of have to pick it by default. The fights were pretty garbage, but apart from that it was actually a pretty awesome show. Great animation, great voice acting, great plots, great character development. Batman TAS was good too, but I don't feel like it had the same level of depth as Spider-man did.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Refuse to vote, both were amazing, I enjoyed Spidey more though.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Batman for me but that doesn't take anything away from that Spidey series which is probably Marvel's best animated outing to date.

Avatar image for elijah_c_washington
Elijah_C_Washington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still enjoy B:TAS. It's crazy how much I must've watched it as a kid, because whenever I watch an episode nowadays I immediately know exactly what's going on. Like damn, it really takes me back.

There's also it's overall hilariousness. I like how whenever Gordon answers, it's always about something he should've been prepared for. I like how randomly brutal it can get, with scenes of people being rushed to hospitals in ambulances. There's also this one episode where Batman falls into like six traps, all of which should've killed him, just chasing the Joker on the foot.

It's the goddamned best. So trippy.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pokeysteve: I'm curious, what makes you think TAS was better than Spectacular Spider-man?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pokeysteve: I'm curious, what makes you think TAS was better than Spectacular Spider-man?

I preferred the arcs in TAS to Spectacular as well as the animation style. I don't mean to take anything away from Spectacular Spidey though. Definitely up there in quality. Do you prefer that over TAS?

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pokeysteve: Fair enough, I can agree on the arcs and especially the animation style being better. Imo the lack of actual fighting in TAS really hurt it though, compared to something like Spectacular Spider-man. Take the sinister 6 vs symbiote fight for instance, and compare that to anything in TAS. The best you'll ever see in that is Spidey kicking someone from his webswing.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pipxeroth: I agree. All the pew pew guns didn't help either. I look at how great it was in spite of those things that worked against it and that's a part of why I like it more. Comes down to personal preference I guess too.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman TAS is so overrated. Episodic, little character development, way more tame and childish than those caught up in nostalgia care to admit. And besides Conroy and Hamill, the voice acting ranged from completely forgettable, to sometimes downright embarrassing! Like squeaky Bane.

this

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Batman for me but that doesn't take anything away from that Spidey series which is probably Marvel's best animated outing to date.

You liked it more than the X-Men? (My personal choice for Marvel's best animation.)

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

teen titans stomps both.

Trolling aside, I'll take batmaggot. I think I watched Spider maggot: TAS, but I don't remember much.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MAZAHS117  Online

BTAS wtfstomps

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By impossibilly

Spider-Man is my favorite superhero of all time and even I can recognize that Spider-Man: The Animated Series doesn't hold a candle to Batman: The Animated Series. Batman: TAS set the bar for all other series.

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Prospero_Locke

Spiderman had character development and story arcs, whereas Batman had Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill and better designs. personally, I'd take a better story over the latter. just because Conroy and Hamill made the series iconic and legendary at this point, doesn't mean it was better overall. if you swapped their voices out, the show wouldn't be as highly regarded.. id like to point out that I love both, but batman didn't really have a story. bats just fought the villain of the week, stopped the crime, and repeated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spiderman godstomps he got a legendary video game based on the show

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man. Much like the comics it was based off if, it managed to be great, despite censorship.

Batman had better animation, but it was boring.