#1 Posted by k4tzm4n (41698 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally beat the game last night. Spectacular. Amazing. Etc. Sure, it has some issues with repetition, some side tasks aren't homeruns, and it's not really doing anything original, but man, it nailed the experience of web swinging through New York and being part of an epic and emotional story.

Did you beat the game? If so, how do you feel about it? Now I'm off to write a CBR editorial about a DLC story that I'd be willing to purchase...

#2 Posted by RBT (25235 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, the gameplay honestly feels like Arkham games with Spider-Man. But so far, the story is pretty good.

#3 Posted by Tenguswordsman (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

The Gameplay is nothing really new, it works astoundingly well, but kinda disagree if You mean the Story, the Otto and Norman especially felt very distinct and different from other incarnations, as well as Marry Jane, and a lot of other things and characters, though it also has a ton of nods to other versions too.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#4 Edited by FullMetalEmprah (2889 posts) - - Show Bio

While the game isn't perfect and doesn't really do anything new, it didn't really need to nor did I think they really want to try to. It sticks to a tried and true formula but it pulls it off very, very well. The combat is similar to Arkham but it does have its differences(you're a lot more agile than when playing as Batman for example).

I plan to write a more in-depth review of the game once I 100% it. So to anyone that is still on the fence about the game I'll try to cover whatever I can about it, without spoilers of course.

#5 Posted by Stahlflamme (5411 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, it was a fun game. But its mostly the gameplay from the spider-man 2 and 3 games and then that arkham like stealth stuff. It was kinda weird how Silver Sable just kinda left at some point and Miles was kinda pointless. I mean I get they wanted to give him powers and introduce him for either a sequel or later DLC, but ultimately the parts were you played him did not really add much to the story it could have just been shortened and made as cutscenes, if I was a big fan of the character who was excited about seeing him in the trailer I probably would be really dissappointed.

#6 Posted by k4tzm4n (41698 posts) - - Show Bio

The Gameplay is nothing really new, it works astoundingly well, but kinda disagree if You mean the Story, the Otto and Norman especially felt very distinct and different from other incarnations, as well as Marry Jane, and a lot of other things and characters, though it also has a ton of nods to other versions too.

My "nothing new but done amazingly well" is about the gameplay. I love that they did a whole new take on the Spidey mythos and handled it like a movie.

#7 Posted by k4tzm4n (41698 posts) - - Show Bio

While the game isn't perfect and doesn't really do anything new, it didn't really need to nor did I think they really want to try to. It sticks to a tried and true formula but it pulls it off very, very well. The combat is similar to Arkham but it does have its differences(you're a lot more agile than when playing as Batman for example).

I plan to write a more in-depth review of the game once I 100% it. So to anyone that is still on the fence about the game I'll try to cover whatever I can about it, without spoilers of course.

I'm at 99%, almoooooooooooost at 100% :)

Yeah, it was a fun game. But its mostly the gameplay from the spider-man 2 and 3 games and then that arkham like stealth stuff. It was kinda weird how Silver Sable just kinda left at some point and Miles was kinda pointless. I mean I get they wanted to give him powers and introduce him for either a sequel or later DLC, but ultimately the parts were you played him did not really add much to the story it could have just been shortened and made as cutscenes, if I was a big fan of the character who was excited about seeing him in the trailer I probably would be really dissappointed.

Yeah, I was expecting an actual boss fight with Silver at some point, but I guess it's good they avoided the "good guys fight before realizing they have the same objective" trope.

I liked Miles' role, I think it gave the story a little more heart and the "teaching Miles how to fight" moment in the alleyway was heartwarming. Also, I think they just wanted to build him for the future, and I imagine that future depends - DLC or significant in a sequel - on Into the Spider-Verse's success.

#8 Posted by jashugan (6043 posts) - - Show Bio

What and how does it do everything amazingly well? Is the story top notch? Is the combat amazing? Is the open world amazing? etc.

#9 Posted by k4tzm4n (41698 posts) - - Show Bio

Update: 100% and all trophies :)

@jashugan said:

What and how does it do everything amazingly well? Is the story top notch? Is the combat amazing? Is the open world amazing? etc.

The story is surprisingly emotional at times and is built more like a "movie." And by that I mean it creates a whole new - but familiar - mythos for the character and plants a lot of seeds for a solid sequel. The gameplay is smooth and addictive (but repetitive sometimes) and web swinging around the open world is pure joy. The combination of the smooth controls, lighting, and giant world makes you feel like Spider-Man. It's a delight.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#10 Posted by FullMetalEmprah (2889 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: I have to admit, the scene where Mr. Negative attacks the award ceremony for Jefferson Davis was actually pretty intense, at least more than I was expecting. Massive props to them for not holding back with that one.