Spider-Man: Homecoming is NOT a Box Office Disappointment (It's actually doing GREAT)

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CosmicMuffin

It all started after the second weekend numbers were released for the film. Headlines popped up left and right about the film "having the worst second weekend drop in MCU history", which certainly is not good. At the time, this looked very bad for the Spider-Man reboot. But now, the numbers are proving otherwise.

Many people probably have not heard any news about the film since that headline, and assume its still a failure because of that. While the second weekend drop was surely disappointing, the film has proved to overcome that.

As of 8/16/17...

Domestic:$308,359,09743.8%
+ Foreign:$395,373,07256.2%
= Worldwide:$703,732,169

Source

The film is already at $703,732,169 million worldwide, which on its own is already amazing. It's $175 million budget is relatively small for a Marvel film, and considerably smaller than both budgets of the Amazing Spider Man and the Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($230 million and $293 million). This means the film has already made a bigger profit than both Amazing Spider-Man films, all because of a smaller budget and more money earned domestically.

The film also had the biggest opening ever for an MCU film in Japan, with $7.08 million. Yes, that is larger than the Avengers, Civil War, Age of Ultron, etc. Point is, the film will earn around $30+ million in Japan when its run is finished. And it has not even opened in China.

The release date for the film in China is September 8th, and will be a wildcard there. I have some convincing evidence to why it will be big there. Most people think it will not do well in China because pirating will affect the performance of the film, since it is arriving 2 months late. My rebuttal is that Ant-Man, which was released in July in almost all territories, was delayed until October for China. And guess what it made there. A whopping $105 million, even after the so-called "pirating" was supposed to affect it. Do you understand what I am getting at?

$30 million for Japan, at least $75-$125 million for China (most likely the high-end, Iron Man is a big draw in China), and it is not even done Domestically and for the foreign territories it was already released in. At least another $25 million domestically, and at least another $30 million foreign, without Japan or China.

Add up all those amounts, and you get $160-$210 million. Add that to the already made $703 million, and you get a whopping $863-$893 million... right around the Guardians Vol. 2 numbers, and the latter at Spider-Man 3.

That is HUGE. At my pessimistic numbers, that would mean it would become the second highest grossing Spider-Man film, one of the highest grossing MCU films, and the highest grossing reboot of all time. If it performs on the higher end in China and has better last-minute legs than expected, it surpasses Spider-Man 3, to become the highest grossing Spider-Man film. And people thought it was a failure, because of one weekend.

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go Spidey!

Go Batma... erm... Vulture!

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its doing pretty well in overseas market. Doesn't change the fact that it underperformed in domestic.

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt:

@rbt said:

Its doing pretty well in overseas market. Doesn't change the fact that it underperformed in domestic.

How did it underperform domestically? It is so far at a 2.63x multiplier, and by the time it finishes, will be at a 2.77x multiplier, which is ahead of most films in the MCU. A good multiplier with a good opening of $117 million, especially for the 2nd reboot in less than 10 years is not underperforming. It could have been a LOT worse. This, I think, is the best it could have done in the current situation it is in

Rock_Hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Who was saying it was a disappointment? The movie is doing great. It will most likely finish at around $850 worldwide.

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt:

@rbt said:

How did it underperform domestically? It is so far at a 2.63x multiplier, and by the time it finishes, will be at a 2.77x multiplier, which is ahead of most films in the MCU. A good multiplier with a good opening of $117 million, especially for the 2nd reboot in less than 10 years is not underperforming. It could have been a LOT worse. This, I think, is the best it could have done in the current situation it is in

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

Of course it's not a disappointment. Not everything has to break records.

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rock_hard:

The general youtube community seems to think it is. Also big channels such as Beyond The Trailer and ComicbookCast

Superhero24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider man is doing great. It is really just crazy youtube channels like Beyond the trailer that claim such stupid ideas. Grace isnt the best opinion to take on movie matters especially if you look at her list for worst to best MCU films. It is her opinion though, so she can have it.

Rock_Hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmicmuffin: That guy from the comicbookcast is a dumbass. He always says stupid shit that's not true.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmicmuffin said:

@rbt:

@rbt said:

Of course it could have been a lot worse. But that does not mean this is the collection they were hoping for. They brought in RDJ. And its barely going to cross 325M mark. And considering how well other superhero movies in June and July did(GotG2's 388 and WW's potential 409), Spider-man was a slight disappointment. Though I can see Spider-man outperforming WW in overall collection.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It certainly didn't bomb I don't think anyone expected it to hit a billion lol itll probaly finish at like 820 which is fine

Box office numbers are irrelevant anyway it's stupid to obsess of them if you like the movie who cares

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It certainly didn't bomb I don't think anyone expected it to hit a billion lol itll probaly finish at like 820 which is fine

Box office numbers are irrelevant anyway it's stupid to obsess of them if you like the movie who cares

I get your point but for me its so annoying seeing a crap movie like Avatar no.1 with 2.7 bill. I really hope Infinity War beats it.

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849: Avatar is a classic right place right time using revolutionary CGI and effects that hadnt really been done before or atleast as well for it's time plus it had james Cameron's name on it that's why it did so well and it appealed to all demographics and nationalities

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelanddcfan24: Yes I understand all of the CGI and stuff but the movies crap(storyline etc.). If the exact same movie was released and James Cameron wasnt the director then it wouldnt have even made a bill.

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849: it's not horrible but I wasn't great and it made like 2bill almost 3 and I don't see IW topping that

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Mutant1230

This was known since the beginning, Spider-Man: Homecoming was a successful film for both Marvel Studios and Sony. Granted, it's not a gigantic enough hit to make say Fox and Sony drop all their plans and bring Venom/Fantastic Four into the MCU but it's still doing great despite the uphill battle it had coming out in July.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0c8d423f980
deactivated-5a0c8d423f980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmicmuffin: those Channels IMO sometimes take unconfirmed news and use it to attract views. Understandable given YouTubes current state.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think part of the image is that most of us (me included) thought it was destroy WW at the box-office. And it's going to be, for all intents and purpose, a tie. (And I'd bet anything, WW's profit margin will be way higher) This is really more of a compliment to WW than a slam on Spider-Man. Nevertheless, I'm betting the execs at Disney and Sony, when they saw how well WW was doing, were very confident Spidey would do much better.

Avatar image for deactivated-599632ff76068
deactivated-599632ff76068

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It did better than WW? Lmao.

cfrehse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the end after the China release it will probably have made more than we worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised. Or it will be very close.

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@necronn- said:

It did better than WW? Lmao.

Why is that funny? And no, it did not. Yet.