Spider-Man #7

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Miles Morales is having visions of an enraged Hulk destroying him and everyone else. Miles' mother goes to see Jessica Jones for some help.

Once again, it's another tie-in issue with CIVIL WAR II, which has been trudging along for quite a while now. Luckily, the event tying into this issue doesn't really break up the flow of the storytelling too much.

The issue is still about Miles Morales; however, it delves a bit deeper into his psyche as Miles has nightmares of the Hulk smashing him. Miles is young. He's not a veteran hero. He feels caught between a rock and hard place because Tony Stark wants him to join up for the cause, but Miles is unsure, and his friends aren't too keen on it as well. This is all paced nicely through the issue and provides an interesting story.

The whole issue isn't just about Miles. It also deals with Jessica Jones, since Miles' grandmother tried to hire her to keep tabs on the young man. Brian Michael Bendis and Nico Leon do a fine job at building on the world Miles lives in. This isn't just a book about a superhero. It's about family, relationships, and growing up, and that's really the endearing thing about the series.

Leon does some fantastic art on this issue. He and color artist Marte Gracia deliver some precise and engaging panel-to-panel storytelling. There is a great sense of movement and while there aren't many action sequences here, the way they are laid out is perfect and delivers some fantastic moments. The page layouts are unique and fresh on every page, so at not time does the book drag at all because of the art.

The only real downside to the issue is that the whole Civil War II story isn't grabbing me. Why is Miles so important to Tony Stark? Am I missing something? Is this just Tony trying to grab any heroes he can? Personally, I'd rather just see Miles Morales doing his own thing, away from these major stories, since he is technically new to this universe.

Overall, this issue of Spider-Man was enjoyable and continues to build on Miles' world and not just his life as a superhero. The whole reason he's involved with Tony Stark leaves too many questions, one of which being "Why does he matter to Stark?" The art team is doing a great job on this issue, and while some of us may have event fatigue, this is still a good read.

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"Miles dreams of Hulk smashing him." *insert Lenny face*

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miles deals with dreams of Hulk smashing him.

PAUSE

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Even though I really hate Civil War 2, I gotta say some the tie ins are really good. This, Ms Marvel and Wolverine really explored the situation. Captain America and Deadpool are also interesting but they aren;t actual tie ins....

superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Headcanon: The hulk we saw in Ulessys' vision was the ultimate hulk.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that he matters to Tony the way everyone matters to Tony: a pawn to be acquired and then used as needed. This is how he treated Peter in cw1 after all.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Spider-man gets all "meta" as Bendis delivers his thoughts on events through secondary characters.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish hulk would smash miles. Kamala could watch

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Even though I really hate Civil War 2, I gotta say some the tie ins are really good. This, Ms Marvel and Wolverine really explored the situation. Captain America and Deadpool are also interesting but they aren;t actual tie ins....

Neither is Ant-Man's. The only CW2 connection there was on the last page, when Scott spoke to his lawyer. She-Hulk - that issue and the rest of the run takes place before the event.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989: EXACTLY to make matters worse?.......Hulks naked. -_-

yasbinfirnas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the new spider-man, Miles Morales. But this Civil War 2 thing is taking too long to finish. How many more issues are left?

Goellterator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish hulk would smash miles. Kamala could watch

Yes, please.

Avatar image for rustyshackleford
RustyShackleford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the cameos of some other characters in this, and I'm still happy that this is the Spider book I'm reading over amazing spider-man. I still find this book interesting and the conversation between MIles' parents is intriguing.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Author of this thread understands that dream means something good or wanted, no?) Word for bad dream is nightmare. Hulk smash.

Avatar image for deactivated-63417c6af01d0
deactivated-63417c6af01d0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book confuses me greatly. On one hand: I think it's well written and enjoyable. On the other: Bendis.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

A WHOLE REVIEW AND YOU DIDN'T BRING UP THE RETURN OF BOMBSHELL?!

Unbelievable! It's like this site can't acknowledge any character outside the Tumblrsphere.

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cafeterialoca: Did she actually play a role in this issue? I know she appeared earlier, but it was just a brief cameo.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really didn't like how in this issue, Spider-Man and Bombshell just casually fought and presumably beat Annihilus. That's kinda ridiculous, even for Bendis.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Great book.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@maddpanda531: He has done that so many times with Miles at this point he is freaking Squirrel Girl

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mp13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the exact same idea. If you look closely, you'll see that Ultimate Cloak & Dagger are in Miles' nightmare with bombshell of course. With Ultimate Mjolnir in the ANAD Marvel Universe, anything could happen.

superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mp13 said:
@superior_prime_maybe said:

I had the exact same idea. If you look closely, you'll see that Ultimate Cloak & Dagger are in Miles' nightmare with bombshell of course. With Ultimate Mjolnir in the ANAD Marvel Universe, anything could happen.

wow, hadn't noticed that. This would be great way of showing that Banner was infact cured and Hulk was never a monster... also the heroes fudged up