Sonic Review

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

So after a 3 month delay, in which Sonic underwent some major plastic surgery, we are finally getting to see whether or not all the hard work payed off.

Review

So, was the worth the wait? In short, yes, yes it was. But for a more nuanced and longer answer, yes.... buuuuuut. it depends on your mindset. I think most people knew that the redesign was only going to be skin deep, and the story wasn't really going to change. Those people are right in assuming that the movie will feel very familiar, as it follows in a long trend of movies taking wacky characters from these fantasy worlds and bringing them to our world. If you hate those type of movies, and you aren't that big of a Sonic fan, I would say skip it. If you're just looking for some cute entertainment and have some younger family members that you want to entertain, this is a good movie to take them to.

Personally, while I can see where some people may come from, and ultimately comedy is subjective... I really thought this movie was charming and was a solid start to a potential trilogy. That being said, despite that some people have been exposed to the kind of movies this one mimics, I can't personally say I've seen many of those movies, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. I will also say, I'm not a huge Sonic fan, so I think that helps my case a bit.

I liked almost everything about this movie. I don't think the movie ever hit any bad lows, but it also never hit many highs. James Marsden's Character and Sonic had a good dynamic. I wouldn't say Jim Carrey stole the show as many people are claiming but he did give a strong performance and this heroic counterparts weren't that far behind. The story was very simple, no denying that, but I personally think the movie made it work. There were some things missing to flesh out certain characters, but for the most part it was never anything that made the movie suffer too much.

The movie has really strong action scenes, and I love the designs for Robotnik's robots.

Some Fixes

So I'm going to hit two birds with one stone, and say both what the movie was missing and how to fix it. I'll put it in a spoiler box

-We needed more scenes on Sonic's world. And i'm not talking about throughout the movie, but in the beginning. It was way too quick to get to Earth, and we should have seen, Sonic's life on this planet a bit, with his Owl guardian. Like, at least 5 minutes.

-I think we also needed more backstory on why Sonic likes Tom. Maybe a scene of Sonic as a kid seeing Tom doing some good deeds and inspiring Sonic.

-While Carry did a great job, I do agree with some people who say that he was always at a 10. and maybe he should have started off a bit lower and slowly build up the insanity. THat being said, in the end we do get to see that there is still an other level above 10. and I'm excited to see Carry fully embody Robotnik even more.

-I'm no expert on Sonic lore, but the movie gives Sonic this lightning energy that he emits when he's running really fast and emotional. Robotnik acquires one quill, and uses it to power his ship. Now, maybe they won't be doing the Chaos Emeralds, but if they do, this quill thing kinda takes away from the gimmick of those emeralds, which is immense power.

-Maybe this is just me, but I actually wanted that first Olive Garden things to be more blatant. The second one, with the general was great, But I would have died from laughter if in one scene we see Sonic and Tom are in an Olive Garden, and that's where Sonic drops that "you're family" line.

Overall

I had a real fun time in the theater. Sometimes you just need a fun, simple, heartfelt movie to instill you with a simple sense of kid like Joy. By no means is it a perfect film, and I do think there is room for improvement, which IMO, is a positive. Hopefully the sequel has more Sonic world's and maybe introduces the Chaos Emeralds or Metal Sonic. Rumor has it that some of the budget was spent on the redesign, so if this film is successful, next time the budget even if it stays the same will be better used this time allowing for more cool shit.

Rating- 8/10

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Man we out here really living in a world where Sonic is the best video game movie. Great review, but I'm still probably gonna check it out on DVD.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm just glad Sonic is doing well at BO. Sony deserves it after all the work they put into it.

Hyoname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

I'm just glad Sonic is doing well at BO. Sony deserves it after all the work they put into it.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard
SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: well certainly the director. Sony as a whole has an iffy track record with creative choices

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

Probably won't watch in theaters, but I'm glad this and Detective Pikachu have broken the video game curse.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolfrazer

Ya know I'm seeing a lot of BoP "fans" *** all over Sonic even before the movie came out and it's like....what? Just because BoP isn't doing well is no fault of the Sonic movie. They aren't even in the same genre class.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7/10

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad this and Detective Pikachu have done well.

assemblesquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

10/10 this movie brings me some memories.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly didn’t laugh once...I really wanted to like it, but it felt like it was made for 3 year olds. Even children movies have more comedy

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard:
lol you werent arguing about power levels so this got over looked
anyway, i agree pretty good, well rounded film. I enjoyed it. I think anywhere from a 7 -10 is good. kinda wanna see it again, prolly will.