So... why is Superman weak against magic?

#1 Posted by Just_Banter (12418 posts) - - Show Bio
Batman is, in actuality, a magician (I don't know the scans context, it just looked funny)
Batman is, in actuality, a magician (I don't know the scans context, it just looked funny)

I get that one of Superman's main weaknesses is magic, but what I don't understand is exactly why he's weak to it. So, is there an actual, explained reason as to why he has a weakness to magic, is it just a "because reasons" type thing, or is he just not immune to it (in that he's not any more resistant to it then we are), so even though he can take a lot of blunt force damage (due to invulnerability), that invulnerability doesn't encapsulate magic?

Or maybe the weakness was retconned. Idk.

Cheers.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#2 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (25631 posts) - - Show Bio

The word is "Vulnerable"

VULNERABLE

VULNERABLE

VULNERABLE

Get it right, viners!

#3 Posted by SeaGod (4904 posts) - - Show Bio

it isn't really a weakness and is more of magic is just able to injure him like a normal attack.

#4 Posted by SpitfirePanda (2573 posts) - - Show Bio

He's as vulnerable to magic as everyone else, I think.

#5 Posted by Just_Banter (12418 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress: It's been referred to as a weakness before.

So, he's not even weak to it? It's just something that 'he can be hurt by?' That's a bit disappointing.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#6 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (25631 posts) - - Show Bio

So, he's not even weak to it? It's just something that 'he can be hurt by?' That's a bit disappointing.

Pretty much. Going by the overall consistency of his modern showings.

#7 Posted by Stefano (2604 posts) - - Show Bio

He is not weak against magic, he just doesn’t have any specific magical resistance. Magic affect him the same way it would any character.

#8 Posted by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Like others have said, Superman isnt especially weak to magic just openly vulnerable to it like everybody else.
  • And i have a little theory behind why: Maybe since Superman is essentially invulnerable to the effects of things operating under natural comic book type physics...He dosent really a defense against something that is operating outside the realm of physics and and natural law like Magic always does.
#9 Edited by KrleAvenger (26341 posts) - - Show Bio

He is not vulnerable to magic. He just doesn't have any superhuman durability/abilities against it. Therefor, it can hurt him as much as it hurts normal humans. He survives because of his damage soak and healing factor.

#10 Posted by AbelHsu (3533 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic can hurt him ,but it is not some kryptonite/red son type weaknesses.

#11 Posted by AlphaQ (6736 posts) - - Show Bio

Really it is because a lot of magic is reality warping and he can't tank it with regular durability. But if someone were to hit him with a fireball, he wouldn't be hurt but if you turned him into a frog, he would.

Avatar image for themultiversity
#12 Posted by TheMultiversity (1242 posts) - - Show Bio
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

#13 Posted by Yassassin (7798 posts) - - Show Bio

The word is "Vulnerable"

VULNERABLE

VULNERABLE

VULNERABLE

Get it right, viners!

Eh. He basically like acts like its Kryptonite when ever he's around it, and people have outright said he's weak to it, it's a note a far off misconception to make.

#14 Edited by UnitedStateX (56 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess he's considered "weak" to magic because almost everything else can't really hurt him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
#15 Posted by deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79 (12104 posts) - - Show Bio

He has no special immunity to it, like he would against an ordinary bullet. However, he has tanked powerful magic attacks and lived to tell the tale. It's not like 11 year old Hermione could just walk up to him and one-shot him.

#16 Posted by AbelHsu (3533 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously ? Someone really think this is another kryptonite for Clark ?Lol

#17 Posted by StarDance (859 posts) - - Show Bio

Voldemort one-shots

#18 Posted by Batvibe12 (5973 posts) - - Show Bio

Due to the fact that Superman is an overpowered character, the editors decided to make Superman "more vulnerable" to magic and the mystic forces.

I think Zatanna helped Superman's weakness before but I'm not sure.

#19 Edited by WeAreTheFlash (2120 posts) - - Show Bio

Think of it like this. There are two people, one is a weakling and the other is 400 pound jock on steroid. Let's say they both set on fire. Just because one is bigger it doesn't mean he is resistant to fire

#20 Posted by Gaoron (9933 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember the scan where Clark got hurt by playing cards... sorry magic playing cards xD I dont know the explanation behind it but its funny when Superman is getting hurt or KO'ed by normal stuff only because they are magic lol

#21 Posted by MikePeterson (28 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not that it's a weakness, he's just as weak to it and you or I would be.

#22 Posted by TrustNoOne22 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how it would effect him any more than the forces of super cosmic stuff, and he no sells that. For god sakes he's supposed to be Super(he's unstoppable to bullets and black holes, let him be unstoppable to limit breaking ultima spells already), Magic should be something he's attuned to considering how he already breaks the laws of physics, I really hate how DC keeps it's science on one side and it's magic on the other, why not join the two already. It's a freaking comicbook, it's nearly a action fantasy already.

Magic is just a poorly written PIS plot device that allows no creativity to hax things other than it's magic.

#23 Posted by StormShadow_X (17479 posts) - - Show Bio

Hes not and ita been explained. Magic defies the scientific nature of clarks powers therefore he has no counter to it naturally

#24 Posted by Conner_Wolf (6380 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Conner_Wolf (6380 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormshadow_x: 'scientific nature'

Yes because an alien solar panel that can bypass the speed of light and move planets is so scientific.

And you know what having no counter to something is? Being weak to it.

#26 Posted by StormShadow_X (17479 posts) - - Show Bio

@conner_wolf: His powers are more scientifix in origin.

Hes not weak to it at all. If anything at all. If he was his fights would shazam would have his head blown off in one hit

#27 Posted by Conner_Wolf (6380 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormshadow_x: Just because magic=/=Kryptonite, does not mean they are not both categorized under weakness.

You can be weak to something, and still have enough resistance to it that it doesn't one-shot yo.

#28 Posted by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic is a force that literally defies the laws of biology, chemistry and physics. It's inexplicable and unpredictable, something Superman which is not.

#29 Posted by Kidolio (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

I don’t even know why writers bring it up that he’s vulnerable to magic, because that’s the same as saying Flash is vulnerable to magic or that Martian Manhunter is vulnerable to magic. All true, but is only brought up when Superman is involved.

It doesn’t do anything except make writers and readers think he’s weak to magic and causes writers think he’s weak to magic, some make it as if it’s like kryptonite.

Superman has also shown that he can still tank magical hits pretty well so what’s even the point except to bring confusion, and even if they don’t bring it up, I’m not gonna freaking assume that he’s immune to something that he’s never ranked before(even though he has)

#30 Posted by Cramem (401 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

He is not just vulnerable to magic, he is weak to it:

Avatar image for deactivated-5d39a38bf2071
#31 Posted by deactivated-5d39a38bf2071 (1018 posts) - - Show Bio

He just is

#32 Edited by MrTrey (830 posts) - - Show Bio

Because magic is reality warping/hax in people's minds, so it has to circumvent his durability somehow, even though Superman like most comic high tiers has resisted reality warping/hax multiple times so that excuse rings hollow.

#33 Posted by Lan_Fan (18121 posts) - - Show Bio

@alphaq said:

Really it is because a lot of magic is reality warping and he can't tank it with regular durability. But if someone were to hit him with a fireball, he wouldn't be hurt but if you turned him into a frog, he would.

#34 Posted by Kidolio (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: Wouldn’t most people turn to frogs because most heroes are technically ‘vulnerable’ to magic why is it only brought up for Superman?

#35 Posted by GateOfBabylon (5028 posts) - - Show Bio

He just has no resistance against it. He's not weakened by it like Kryptonite.

#36 Posted by Lan_Fan (18121 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio: Because Superman is supposed to be the guy who's completely invulnerable by storytelling apart from these weaknesses. Kinda bullshit considering his actual feats, but it is what it is.

#37 Posted by Kidolio (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: We can curse on this sight? Awesome. Yeah it’s pretty bullshit honestly because he has feats of resisting magical hits pretty well which causes people to have to find a reason he’s still alive even though he should be vulnerable.

Honestly magic is his worst weakness since magic can mean a lot of different things and isn’t we’ll defined.

#38 Posted by johnsmjs36 (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman doesn't really have invulnerability to it. But writer use it as if he would be killed by a magical needle. WW sword used to work because it lowers his durability and WW has force behind her attack to be able to harm him. But some writers take it too far with the vulnerability aspect.

#39 Posted by TrueSSJ (151 posts) - - Show Bio

@krleavenger: Perfect.

Are there any Kryptonian magic users? Lol they could speak a ton of spells a second. Talk about over powered.

#40 Posted by darkonast (990 posts) - - Show Bio

People really take the work “vulnerable” and turn it into him being weakened against it. Magic effects superman the same way it effects virtually all non-magic users in the DC universe , he can still tank it , he just dont have a form of “invulnerability” against it

#41 Posted by Kidolio (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkonast: It’s kinda dumb honestly this ‘magic vulnerability/weakness’ does nothing but brings confusion to writers and readers alike.

#42 Posted by darkonast (990 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio: tbh writers should just not address it & left individuals like Black Adam show us how he reacts to magic