#1 Edited by Arachni-kid (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been thinking for a while, and while I really love comic book movies, don't get me wrong, I find they lack some... Artistic integrity? I mean sure, the movies are funny. They're good movies. They just... aren't what I'd hoped. They're geared towards moviegoers, I understand, but they hardly ever appeal to the comic fans as well. It's not that I expect them to perfectly adhere to the comic storyline, because that would make everything predictable, and I'd get bored. I just feel that they don't do as much or as well as they could. For example, the time travel defeat in Endgame, and the defeat of Thanos by Tony via a snap was poetic justice in the eyes of those who only watch the movies. For me, though, well read in the comics, it felt a bit hollow, a bit forced. And the scaling on pre-Gauntlet Thanos was outright ridiculous. Anyways, let me know what you guys think on the subject.

#2 Posted by HigherPower (12399 posts) - - Show Bio

And the scaling on pre-Gauntlet Thanos was outright ridiculous.

Could you elaborate on this part?

#3 Posted by Arachni-kid (26 posts) - - Show Bio

So, in the movie, Thanos, without having any of the stones, was still able to single-handedly take on Captain America, Thor with Stormbreaker, and Iron Man without too much grief. Then, Captain America wields Mjölnir, and after giving Thanos a bit of grief, is then subdued for a brief time. However, some less powerful heroes, like Mantis, Drax, Star-Lord [Who hardly helped after Thanos was subdued], Iron Man, and Spider-Man, are able to subdue Thanos, with gauntlet, long enough to almost get it off. It just shrugs off the strength that Thanos lacked after obtaining some of the Infinity Stones, and makes him stronger in the past.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#4 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17211 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of comic book fans also like the movies to be fair. With that being said Top Tier comic books>>>Top Tier CBM’s.

#5 Posted by Arachni-kid (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness That's true, and it is neat to see the heroes of the comics brought to life on the big screen, but I just feel it lacks a lot of what the comics bring to the table.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#6 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17211 posts) - - Show Bio

@arachni-kid: 100%

#7 Posted by Doom_Phd (1595 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the most disappointing things is how they purposely written the IG. Only two snaps and that’s it.

#8 Posted by Arachni-kid (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly! It's not supposed to work like that! I get they needed to put a limitation, or else how can you win? The limitations in the comics are non-existent, though, and they still won. Maybe draw inspiration from that? Also, the reasoning behind Thanos's plan was rocky at best. Why not double or make limitless resources? No death. No fuss. That's how he could have been lauded as a savior.

Avatar image for parker_industries
#9 Posted by Parker_Industries (196 posts) - - Show Bio

As a parker fan myself, I'm really disappointed about the whole stark being a father-figure, thought it was forced. And yeah, the way they defeated Thanos... just feels meh. Now, don't get me wrong, I thought the movie was okay, but I just think they could've done better. Add to that the casuals who are "fans" just because of end game.

#10 Posted by RabumAlal (5316 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic books are a different medium so that’s understandable. But Endgame was a treat for us all and no one should deny this.

#11 Posted by Arachni-kid (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@parker_industries, I agree. It was forced, and although I liked the dynamic, I didn't like Tony in the role.

#12 Posted by Arachni-kid (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabumalal, I think you should read my review of Endgame to garner a sense of how I felt about it.

#13 Posted by Combo-Man (264 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never liked the MCU movies and I really hate the Fox X-Men movies. I don't think they capture the spirit or the look of the comics. also the casting and costumes are usually inaccurate. and that's my issue with them rather than specific flaws in the plots etc.

I didn't hate the first Iron Man movie, it was actually quite enjoyable, but I also didn't think it captured the Iron Man comics. I mean movie Tony Stark is nothing like comics Tony Stark.

The first Captain America movie was okay too but I also had my issues with it.

I've never watched the Deadpool movies in full, but I think they captured the look of the character perfectly. got to give them an A+ for that.

I also have to give credit to Marvel on the Guardians of the Galaxy, they took a mostly forgotten 90s comic and turned it into a worldwide franchise. that was impressive, very creative, very risky, and from what I remember the movie wasn't terrible.

I view the comics and the movies as being very different universes, I've loved the comics for decades(long before there were any movies) and I'm mostly indifferent to the movies.

#14 Posted by Arachni-kid (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@combo-man That's pretty much what I was getting at. I liked some of the little details, but on the whole it was just too loosely based. Kind of like a really bad mimicry of the comics.

#15 Posted by TheVVitchKing (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

I’m sure Disney is reshaping the entire MCU right now just to satisfy comic book fans

/sarcasm

#16 Posted by Sy8000 (35755 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos' threat level was adjusted as needed. You have to give the writers some leeway there, otherwise one of his main fights would've ended up anticlimactic.

What was your issue with Tony beating Thanos? I've read the comics and didn't have any problems with that.

#17 Edited by Combo-Man (264 posts) - - Show Bio

@arachni-kid said:

@combo-man That's pretty much what I was getting at. I liked some of the little details, but on the whole it was just too loosely based. Kind of like a really bad mimicry of the comics.

Yeah "loosely based" that's it in a nutshell. I was talking to my sister about this subject, she's a huge fan of the Marvel movies, but she never read the comics. and since she knows I'm a big comic book fan, she can't believe that I don't like the movies. but I just explained to her that the movies aren't really made for the old-school fans they're made for the general movie going public, similar to Transformers, you won't find too many old school Transformers fans that actually like the movies.

#18 Posted by Arachni-kid (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@combo-man Right on. My siblings are the same way.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#19 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11727 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I know one thing: this forced Peter-Tony relationship pretty much eliminates any chance of Ben Parker ever being mentioned

:(

#20 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11727 posts) - - Show Bio

Also I love seeing viner's hypocrisy when it comes to talking about the inaccuracies of the MCU.

#21 Posted by Jucaslucasa (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Acting like comic scaling is any better.

#22 Posted by Arachni-kid (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic scaling may be inconsistent between different runs, but from the same movies in the same phase? Come on, man.

#23 Posted by adamTRMM (9357 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I know one thing: this forced Peter-Tony relationship pretty much eliminates any chance of Ben Parker ever being mentioned

:(

#notmyspiderman

#24 Edited by Magian (152105 posts) - - Show Bio

The audience they are going for doesn't really care about stuff like power levels, scaling, feats etc. Only a really small part of those who watch these movies care, those who read comics, and even then not all of them. And if you ask me, they care a bit too much for them. All the rest just want to spend a couple of hours having fun while watching a movie.

#25 Posted by iLeo (102 posts) - - Show Bio

Jesus Christ. The amount of Spider-Man fanboys with Spider-Man profiles I see on a daily. Arachnid-Kid lol. Parker Industries and Petey is Spidey. Still nothing compared to the amount you see on Marvel Youtube vids.

Spider-Man is so played out and MCU adaptation is torture

#26 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11727 posts) - - Show Bio

@ileo said:

Jesus Christ. The amount of Spider-Man fanboys with Spider-Man profiles I see on a daily. Arachnid-Kid lol. Parker Industries and Petey is Spidey. Still nothing compared to the amount you see on Marvel Youtube vids.

Spider-Man is so played out and MCU adaptation is torture

No Caption Provided