So I finally started watching Naruto on Netflix, I few questions.

• 111 results
takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 takenstew22  Moderator

1. Is the dub or sub better? I started watching it in sub.

2. Is the anime or manga better in your opinion?

3. When do Naruto characters start getting really powerful, like which episode does shit start getting real?

Please try to not spoil if you can.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 takenstew22  Moderator
Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

My top tip for watching Naruto is not to watch it

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

@professorrespect said:

ProfessorRespect, my favorite anime/manga expert.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're just gonna end up feeling like you wasted your time lol

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Wushu59
@takenstew22 said:

I prefer sub personally but dub isn't bad

Some of the dub voices are really well done like Zabuza, Madara & Kakashi

Maybe, manga because anime has sooooo much filler.

Anime is definitely worth watching though

Just skip the filler if you don't like it.

3. When do Naruto characters start getting really powerful, like which episode does shit start getting real?

Shit gets real really quickly on their first mission in land of waves

Naruto characters start getting absurdley powerful compared to BoS toward Shippuden.

They get stronger and stronger as the story progresses.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 takenstew22  Moderator

How so?

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 takenstew22  Moderator
Avatar image for deactivated-63055b33107d2
deactivated-63055b33107d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22 said:

Sub

You can try out dub though. It isn't bad at all.

I dunno

But you are missing out if you read manga only imo

It's gets real really fast

Everything is exciting if you skip all the filler

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

How so?

Every plot point that gets you interested in the first half has an extremely lazy, anti-climatic, dumb resolution. Also, do not become a fan of any of the female characters because they're only there to cry over the male characters and get saved, outside a handful of moments.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 takenstew22  Moderator

@takenstew22 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

How so?

Every plot point that gets you interested in the first half has an extremely lazy, anti-climatic, dumb resolution. Also, do not become a fan of any of the female characters because they're only there to cry over the male characters and get saved, outside a handful of moments.

Well, f$%k.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@takenstew22 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

How so?

Every plot point that gets you interested in the first half has an extremely lazy, anti-climatic, dumb resolution.

I disagree completely.

Also, do not become a fan of any of the female characters because they're only there to cry over the male characters and get saved, outside a handful of moments.

This is true. LOL

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@takenstew22 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

How so?

Well, f$%k.

Yeah, i'm not even exaggerating this point, but it's worse than Bleach when it comes to the treatment of it's female characters, and most of the time it felt like female characters in Bleach were just there to show off their chest lmao that's saying something. I can't think of one decent major female character in Naruto.

Binnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dub is actually ok for part 1, but I would go with sub

The anime is better for me, since I prefer seeing shit animated and the ost for naruto is just godly, but there is a ton of filler, so beware

During the Chunin Exams arc (Like ep. 20), one of the best arcs in all of shonen imo

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@takenstew22 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

How so?

Every plot point that gets you interested in the first half has an extremely lazy, anti-climatic, dumb resolution.

I disagree completely.

Why? Nothing is resolved in fitting manner. It's like he started all these interesting, exciting narratives but didn't have the balls to pull the trigger. Off the top of my head,

• Itachi....wtf is that...tease him as this cold blooded traitor who slaughtered his entire clan, women and children included, then reveal he's actually a good guy in the most convoluted, stupid way possible??
  • Sasuke betrays the village, attacks them, and does a bunch of other villainous things, but still ends up never really going villain and is basically a good guy in the end? Why even give him a heel turn if literally nothing came out of it? Seriously, hardly anything about the manga would change if Sasuke stayed good lol
  • Orochimaru....what was his purpose and why was he forgiven?
  • Same goes for Kabuto
  • So the Akatsuki were just pawns for Madara, who were just pawns for Zetsu, who was a pawn for the alien god lady thing? Wtf??
  • Anko??
  • A ninja fan service war where only one mid level character dies?? Worse than GoT lol
  • No balls to kill Kakashi
  • And definitely no balls to kill Guy. The consequence of the 8 gates was teased since the Chunin exams and the one time we get to see it our expectations are subverted with a cop out :/

I can go on, but damn that manga becomes trash post Jirayas death.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000:

Everything you just mentioned had nothing to do with Part 1 Naruto.

And I'm happy a lot the things you mentioned didn't happen personally.

RDCDesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime for me is more enjoyable with the animation and music but manga is more interesting and feels organic cus I’m the type of guy that only cares about main story not filler and side arcs that aren’t canon. So when it comes to that its easier to just go straight to manga, plus the manga gets a story first and not always is it that every great manga gets a anime series.

There are so many trash anime compared to awesome manga that deserve anime adaption.

When you’re a true fan you read the manga and canon material first.

Heres a list of all the canon episodes:

1–25, 27–96, 98, 100, 107–135, 220

It can go faster if you solely focus on naruto and Sasuke paths and their fights especially during Chunin exams

Half of the time i didn’t know about a series until I saw a anime preview of it. As a kid I was watching Naruto anime since it was on Cartoon Network so by the time i read the part 1 manga from local libraries the series was already in beginning of Shippuden.

SquadDoubleYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ProfessorSavage

citgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By citgo

@takenstew22:

1. In all honesty both sub/dub are amazing. Some parts of the show are better Japanese/subbed some are better dubbed. In short u can watch in either versions and you'll get full satisfaction.

Tho its kinda odd to find that someone hasn't watched the original series.

2. the anime adds extra fight sequences, and also includes everything from the manga(obviously, but probs not the gruesome stuff), and the filler arcs are also interesting bcuz it involves Konoha 12 teams in various missions, so its cool to see them get screen time apart from the chunin exams and of course shippuden.

3. honestly stuff gets real from the get go, 1-10ep maybe, but power ups/savage moments start/happen in the land of waves arc

Avatar image for deactivated-6305610811396
deactivated-6305610811396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

@takenstew22 said:

Either for Part 1 (English voice for Zabuza is a beast)
Sub for Shippuden because the it matches the growth and maturity of the characters post time skip

Anime. Just skip the filler

It get real in episode 1

But it gets really real during Land of Waves arc, which is like 10 episodes in, I think.

Naruto power scaling isn't anything like Dragon Ball

There is a lot of strategy involved

Although the power scale takes a massive dive upward mid to late Shippuden

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22:

1-Watch it on Sub way better to actually do it

2- i havent read the manga so i Say for now anime

3-Exams/land of waves/Shippuden are examples of it

Since many people have shared his opinións without spoilers i whould Say that compared to most animes out there recently Naruto is a fun ride to get along with it however the filler parts became too Dull and unnneccesary to see so i whould reccomend skiping it to enjoy the actual story.

On a more critical note if i whould have to rank the series on a top it makes 15 place but nowhere top 10.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest grip with Naruto is that there are so many characters that could potentially be your favorite but it isn't possible to focus on all of them.

It has the most diverse cast of characters and abilities then any other anime I know.

But as you know, there are chosen ones. Just like any other anime series.

And the world building is insane too.

There is already a history of 3 World Wars, 5 Nations, a foundation and system of how things work from the very beginning.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

My biggest grip with Naruto is that there are so many characters that could potentially be your favorite but it isn't possible to focus on all of them.

It has the most diverse cast of characters and abilities then any other anime I know.

But as you know, there are chosen ones. Just like any other anime series.

And the world building is insane too.

There is already a history of 3 World Wars, 5 Nations, a foundation and system of how things work from the very beginning.

Is there a "Piccolo" of Naruto? I know that Naruto is basically Goku and Sasuke is basically Vegeta, but if there was a character like Piccolo I might like him the best.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 takenstew22  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a "Piccolo" of Naruto? I know that Naruto is basically Goku and Sasuke is basically Vegeta, but if there was a character like Piccolo I might like him the best.

Personally wise, Kakashi is similar to Piccolo.

He is a big fan favorite as well as Rock Lee or Gaara.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@aldoronthegoat said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@takenstew22 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

How so?

I disagree completely.

Why? Nothing is resolved in fitting manner. It's like he started all these interesting, exciting narratives but didn't have the balls to pull the trigger. Off the top of my head,

• Itachi....wtf is that...tease him as this cold blooded traitor who slaughtered his entire clan, women and children included, then reveal he's actually a good guy in the most convoluted, stupid way possible??
  • Sasuke betrays the village, attacks them, and does a bunch of other villainous things, but still ends up never really going villain and is basically a good guy in the end? Why even give him a heel turn if literally nothing came out of it? Seriously, hardly anything about the manga would change if Sasuke stayed good lol
  • Same goes for Kabuto
  • So the Akatsuki were just pawns for Madara, who were just pawns for Zetsu, who was a pawn for the alien god lady thing? Wtf??
  • Anko??
  • A ninja fan service war where only one mid level character dies?? Worse than GoT lol
  • And definitely no balls to kill Guy. The consequence of the 8 gates was teased since the Chunin exams and the one time we get to see it our expectations are subverted with a cop out :/

1. What's so "convoluted and stupid" about Itachi's turn? What makes it the most convoluted and stupid way possible? Simply because it "subverted your expectation" of him being a murderer? He went undercover to infiltrate the Akatsuki and killed his family so that they wouldn't enact a coup de etat and weaken his village, making it open for invasion. This is more of a personal gripe than an "extremely lazy, anti-climatic, dumb resolution".

2. Sasuke never really goes villain? What does "really become a villain" even mean? He betrayed his village, tried to kill his comrades and old teammates, joined an evil organization that held terrorists and hired killers, captured all the Tailed Beasts, planned to kill all of the Hokage, but didn't really go villain? What more did you want him to do? Did Darth Vader never really go villain because he was a good guy at the end? Why even give him a turn then? Again, another personal gripe with the series and not an "extremely lazy, anti-climatic, dumb resolution".

3. What was Orochimaru's purpose? I'm not following, unless you somehow didn't read or watch nearly half of Part 1? Curses Sasuke, baits him with power to kill Itachi (his goal for half of the series), attacks Konoha with Suna, sends the Sound 4 to bring Sasuke to him, I mean this is all easily covered, you can't tell me you don't know his purpose. And he was forgiven because he helped out towards the end of the War, and by helped out I mean healed Tsunade, which helped heal the other Kage, and summoned the previous four Hokage. Naruto and his big heart was the one who forgave him, unless I missed something in the anime about Kakashi doing that. Again, personal gripe with the choices the series took, but this time with a little addition of "forgetting the villain of Part 1 of the manga".

4. I don't know about Kabuto.

5. What's wrong with the pawns? Zetsu made Madara believe that he needed to cast the IT, he died before he could accomplish that, so he found and molded Obito into thinking he needed to cast IT as well, who created and used the Akatsuki to make this happen. If that confuses you, there are simpler stories to read. you should try One Piece, which is easy to follow because the story is "pirate tries to find treasure". Sounding like a broken record here, but nothing about one pawn using another pawn using another pawn is lazy or anti-climatic.

6. If you're trying to say Anko was an "interesting, exciting narrative", or that Anko was a plot point that was "extremely lazy, anti-climatic", and ended with a "dumb resolution", then you need to reevaluate what you think a plot point is.

7. If you viewed the Fourth Shinobi War as nothing more than a "ninja fan service", then I don't need to go any further on this point.

8. When were there plans to kill Kakashi? Not sure how you can complain about "no balls" and "didn't have the balls to pull the trigger" when Kishimoto killed Jiraiya before fake killing Kakashi? Just because you wanted Kakashi to die doesn't mean Kishi choosing to not kill him was an "extremely lazy, anti-climatic, dumb resolution".

9. Guy was saved because Naruto was granted power by basically the god of the verse. Would you complain that Tolkien had "no balls" or "didn't have the balls to pull the trigger" because he didn't have Gandalf die? Seeing the Eight Gates on-screen or on-panel was an amazing moment in the series, but you're mad that your expectations were subverted cause you wanted Guy to die when he didn't (which he would have under normal circumstances if Naruto wasn't granted an insane power boost and the ability to make a moon). Konohamaru said he was going to be the 7th Hokage but he isn't, should I be mad that something that was teased since the Chunin Exams didn't come true and subverted my expectations?

I can go on

You can't, really. You're better off talking about how Kishi handled female characters not named Tsunade, how he "handled" the rest of the Konoha 11, how the war was paced, or the quick pace of the Kaguya fight and subsequently quicker pace of the Naruto and Sasuke finale fight in a rush to end the manga on 700 chapters.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22:

1) Sub, especially if you're teenage or older & hold no nostalgic ties to Naruto.

2) Manga. No filler & Kishimoto can be a pretty talented artist at some cover spreads.

3) Shit starts getting real at a certain villain's introduction, let's just say he's a snake dude who likes to pray on Sasuke's young body (sounds weird? Yeah, should be) When they get powerful? You mean the origin of big boom gg? First actual big boom is Deidara vs Sasuke which is Chapters 355-363 or Naruto Shippuden episodes 122-125. People might say Naruto having his first TBB but that destruction is kinda lame imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5be9e305ddd
deactivated-5f5be9e305ddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends.

really depends

well really into the series you said i cant spill so im not. ;)

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22

An original bad guy who has a great fight with the MC, becomes a friend, but really does nothing that big after they're established friends?

Gaara.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wushu59: Oh well.

Bruh, you could at least delete it or something.

Half of it is wrong anyways.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Dub isn't terrible, but subbed. And I say that as someone who usually defaults to the dubbed.

2. Anime. But the downside is there's filler content. Both Naruto and Naruto Shippuden are roughly 40% filler content.

3. In Naruto Shippuden (aka Part II, Post-timeskip). Nothing in part I/Regular Naruto is gonna compare.

**Anything else?

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 takenstew22  Moderator
heroesgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By heroesgold

Part 1 of Naruto is great. Its really Shippuden when the quality goes down hill. All the best fights and best character moments containing the main cast happen in part 1. However the fillers go crazy at a certain point lol

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@professorrespect said:

ProfessorRespect, my favorite anime/manga expert.

Don't need to be a expert to know crap when you notice it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part 1 of Naruto is great. Its really Shippuden when the quality goes down hill. All the best fights and best character moments containing the main cast happen in part 1. However the fillers go crazy at a certain point lol

I actually disagree.

The quality of the fights of Shippudden are much better then Part 1, asides from that one legendary fight in the Chunin Exams.

Story in first half of Shippuden a lot of people prefer over Part 1 as well.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroesgold said:

I actually disagree.

The quality of the fights of Shippudden are much better then Part 1, asides from that one legendary fight in the Chunin Exams.

Yeah... If I made a Top 10 fights list, 7 or 8 of them are going to be from Shippuden.

And first half of Shippudden is way crazier then Part 1 Naruto.

The 2nd half of Shippudden isn't as critically acclaimed story wise but it had some of the better fights in the series.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wushu59 said:
@faradaysloth said:

@wushu59: Oh well.

Bruh, you could at least delete it or something.

Half of it is wrong anyways.

Nah.

And Gaara has his moments in Kage+War Arc, but he never achieves the same role he had in Part 1.

heroesgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aldoronthegoat: Agree to disagree then. Part 1 had a certain amount of grittiness with Naruto also being the underdog and actually captured more of the ninja stuff, which the show is suppose to be about. Watching or reading for the first time you aren't certain what could happen by the time Shippuden comes around the series became a bit predictable, the characters don't really even progress that much from their tween years, except the main team. None of the characters were blown out the water in power scaling yet so they had more to do. Taijustsu becomes pretty much an after thought and the series starts looking like DBZ. The fighting may have been flashier in Shippuden, but as stated earlier they were more gritter and meant more in part 1. The Bridge fights, The Chunin Fights, The Sannin fights, the first valley fight were all more interesting than most in Shippuden

To me, Shippuden really only expands the world of Naruto. Similar to how the prequels expand Star Wars, but overall the originals are better material.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 takenstew22  Moderator

@wushu59 said:
@aldoronthegoat said:
@heroesgold said:

I actually disagree.

Yeah... If I made a Top 10 fights list, 7 or 8 of them are going to be from Shippuden.

And first half of Shippudden is way crazier then Part 1 Naruto.

The 2nd half of Shippudden isn't as critically acclaimed story wise but it had some of the better fights in the series.

Then I might like that one more (if I get to it). I prefer action packed stuff.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@faradaysloth:

If anything, he achieved greater heights in Shippudden.

He doesn't have to be a main villain or protagonist to do great things in the story.

Adi_Frost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aldoronthegoat said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@takenstew22 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

How so?

I disagree completely.

• Same goes for Kabuto
  • Anko??

Lmao, I was gonna talk about this shit and what kind of weird points these are but @thevivas already explained why this is what it is.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree most plot points tie in very unsatisfying ways but the journey up until like the last third of Shippuden are very much worth watching. There's a reason Naruto was one of the most popular anime out there.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wushu59 said:

@faradaysloth:

If anything, he achieved greater heights in Shippudden.

He doesn't have to be a main villain or protagonist to do great things in the story.

He became more powerful, sure, that's a given. He became Kazekage after all.

The second part...no where did I claim that...

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Everyone I know who watches it says you gotta watch subs and the show doesn't really pick up until a time skip or they grow up or something.

I have never seen the show, so I don't know. But this is what they've said when recommending it.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Punyaamrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i tried watching naruto on netflix

only got till season 2

Avatar image for meandyourgirl69
MeAndYourGirl69