Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11673 posts) 2 years, 10 months ago

Poll: So how does everyone feel about Justice League being more like a MCU film? (53 votes)

Great! 26%
It's good news, but nothing spectacular. 17%
Ok news. Doesn't sway me in any particular direction. 23%
Bad news. They had their own niche and now they're jeopardizing it. 19%
AWFUL! Nothing good can come of it. 4%
Meh/Don't really care. 11%

I for one think it's bad news. Should the town be a little lighter? Maybe, but going full out Marvel is jeopardizing the one thing that separates them from their competitor. Plus, most of the MCU films are decent at best (with the exception of all the Cap films, IM 1, and GotG).

#1 Edited by the_stegman (40232 posts) - - Show Bio

I have so much to say on the topic, but I'll keep it short.

1. I think people are overreacting to the "Snyder is making a Marvel movie" comment. Just because they're putting more humor in doesn't mean it's gonna be GOTG.

2. They need it. DC fans may say otherwise, but the majority of people don't like the super seriousness of Bvs

#2 Edited by StormShadow_X (16766 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta wait and see but I doubt it's going to be exactly like Marvel.

And as Stegman said. DC has to. They could come out with a masterpiece but because of the tone it would still be looked down upon compared to something like Avengers.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#3 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (16500 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it'll be like an MCU movie, it's just that BvS was pretty dark. But I'm glad they're balancing it out.

#4 Edited by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it personally. I liked the tone of Batman v Superman. The tone wasn't the problem to me. It was a multitude of other things.

IMO, the tone they should aim for is X-Men. Whine about the movies all you want, but the X-Men movies properly balance a super serious tone and a light hearted tone in the same film and make it work. There's no need for DC to turn the dial all the way to the other side. They could've just kept the tone of BvS, and have Flash be the guy cracking jokes and easing the tension. Much like Quicksilver does in the X-Men movies.

I just have a bad feeling it's going to be too light. As in, everybody spouting one liners, undercutting any tension. DC had a good thing going being the serious CBM company opposite the light heartedness of Marvel. But fan outcry and complaining caused them to inject more "fun".

I don't know, we'll see how it works out. As long as the movie is good, I won't complain come 2017.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
#5 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (7157 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally it shouldn't matter if the tone is light or dark as long as the script and story for it is tight and the fact that DC is giving into the critics and changing the tone disappoints me a bit. Should humor be thrown in, yes but it should be natural humor not the crap that Marvel throws out which feels a bit forced at times. Even if it's not humorous you just have to make the audience connect to the characters IMO

#6 Posted by JasonHawke (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

It's needed.

A bunch of heroes just don't need to be serious in the JL.

#7 Posted by TheSpoiler (3608 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on what you mean by "more like a MCU film". I'm fine if they want to go for a lighter tone like most MCU movies. But if they pick up all the negative aspects of those films (underdeveloped villains, too many jokes that aren't funny, etc.), then I'd rather them not do that.

But honestly, I'd rather them do their own thing then try to copy Marvel. Even when they fail, they're different and you can at least see some effort put in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#8 Posted by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point, anything is better than the mess we had. I'm certainly glad they're trying to be more entertaining, and I love how Flash sounds. Just make the writing good. Actualy try to understand these characters and what makes them special. That's what the MCU has done to make their films so beloved. Being a lot of fun is secondary

#9 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11673 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it personally. I liked the tone of Batman v Superman. The tone wasn't the problem to me. It was a multitude of other things.

IMO, the tone they should aim for is X-Men. Whine about the movies all you want, but the X-Men movies properly balance a super serious tone and a light hearted tone in the same film and make it work. There's no need for DC to turn the dial all the way to the other side. They could've just kept the tone of BvS, and have Flash be the guy cracking jokes and easing the tension. Much like Quicksilver does in the X-Men movies.

I just have a bad feeling it's going to be too light. As in, everybody spouting one liners, undercutting any tension. DC had a good thing going being the serious CBM company opposite the light heartedness of Marvel. But fan outcry and complaining caused them to inject more "fun".

I don't know, we'll see how it works out. As long as the movie is good, I won't complain come 2017.

That would have been perfect.The tone in BvS was actually good and fit the movie. It worked well and wasn't anywhere near the top of the list for things wrong with it. You can still have a dark, or rather serious movie with a character who provides comic relief. If they want to tone the tone back down to maybe CW level (minus all the crappy one-liners), that's fine, but from what I hear it seems more like the Avengers, which sounds horrible.

Personally it shouldn't matter if the tone is light or dark as long as the script and story for it is tight and the fact that DC is giving into the critics and changing the tone disappoints me a bit. Should humor be thrown in, yes but it should be natural humor not the crap that Marvel throws out which feels a bit forced at times. Even if it's not humorous you just have to make the audience connect to the characters IMO

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
#10 Edited by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I hate most Marvel films so guess I would be all that happy with that at all.

#11 Posted by lettsplay10 (20589 posts) - - Show Bio

It's needed.

A bunch of heroes just don't need to be serious in the JL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#12 Posted by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll believe it when I see it. When the writing and characters are fleshed out with a solid story line then it'll be more like a MCU film. But appearances can be deceiving. We will see.

#13 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16364 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol at this

Plus, most of the MCU films are decent at best (with the exception of all the Cap films, IM 1, and GotG).

Most of the MCU films are decent at worst, the general audience and the general consensus is that the MCU movies are really good, not to mention there hasn´t been a single MCU movie that has been badly received by critics or rotten on the tomatometer.......DCEU on the other hand, both of their movies have been utterly destroyed by critics and both rotten on tomatometer.

With that said, I like both MOS and BVS, and I hope they don´t go the Marvel route because, well, we already have Marvel for that and I love it, but if we already have that, I want to see DC try something different, yes, a little more humour would be appreciated, but just a little bit, I want them to stay with their overall tone.

#14 Edited by Gracetrack (4677 posts) - - Show Bio

Tone wasn't really a problem for me with BvS. A little more levity wouldn't hurt, but I don't want this to be the MCU.

#15 Posted by NeonGameWave (19333 posts) - - Show Bio

It will be its own movie (as it should be) but it might have qualities that are quantifiable when it comes to the way we judge an MCU movie.

#16 Posted by Jgames (8184 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically more or less this. Batman was awesome because that was his character, he was supposed to be dark. What wasn't supposed to be dark, what was supposed to contrast was Superman. The problem was not that it had barely any joke which by the way Lex Luthor was hilarious, I don't care what anybody says. I did like the tone and atmosphere, it just need variety in character, and not have everybody try to be Batman. Only Batman can be Batman.

#17 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11673 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82 said:

Lol at this

Plus, most of the MCU films are decent at best (with the exception of all the Cap films, IM 1, and GotG).

Most of the MCU films are decent at worst, the general audience and the general consensus is that the MCU movies are really good, not to mention there hasn´t been a single MCU movie that has been badly received by critics or rotten on the tomatometer.......DCEU on the other hand, both of their movies have been utterly destroyed by critics and both rotten on tomatometer.

With that said, I like both MOS and BVS, and I hope they don´t go the Marvel route because, well, we already have Marvel for that and I love it, but if we already have that, I want to see DC try something different, yes, a little more humour would be appreciated, but just a little bit, I want them to stay with their overall tone.

Yes, because I give a flying turd what other people think.....

What type of response is this?

#18 Posted by Hollow_Point (1451 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going to be just like bvs with a tiny bit of humor... people are exaggerating an offhand comment

#19 Posted by Blueprint_ (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody on the JL set said anything about it being like an MCU film. Is the idea here really that humor only exists in Marvel films? I don't understand.

What if they mean DCAU humor? Or any other film out there?

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#20 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17641 posts) - - Show Bio

OP isn't claiming DC is emulating Marvel. It is unarguable that introducing more light hearted elements and humorous encounters into the mix is bound to assimilate the two to some extent.

As someone who loved Batman v. Superman, I sincerely believe I'm up for a change of pace and tone, and that an ensemble film being lighter in tone is not at all a bad thing. In fact, I really like it. To make it anything else would be disrespecting Batman v. Superman, which set up a hopeful Batman and an optimistic Superman.

EDIT: Perhaps OP did claim Zack Snyder was going "full Marvel." Which is a premature assumption.

- TAS

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#21 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22857 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Posted by N00beditor3 (413 posts) - - Show Bio

@hollow_point:

It's going to be just like bvs with a tiny bit of humor... people are exaggerating an offhand comment

Just about everyone involved has said it's not going to be as dark or convoluted as BVS.

#23 Posted by MasterKungFu (20773 posts) - - Show Bio

it doesn't matter because it'll never satisfy everyone

#24 Posted by BruceRogers (17445 posts) - - Show Bio

it doesn't matter because it'll never satisfy everyone

Quoted for truth

#25 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11673 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:

OP isn't claiming DC is emulating Marvel. It is unarguable that introducing more light hearted elements and humorous encounters into the mix is bound to assimilate the two to some extent.

As someone who loved Batman v. Superman, I sincerely believe I'm up for a change of pace and tone, and that an ensemble film being lighter in tone is not at all a bad thing. In fact, I really like it. To make it anything else would be disrespecting Batman v. Superman, which set up a hopeful Batman and an optimistic Superman.

EDIT: Perhaps OP did claim Zack Snyder was going "full Marvel." Which is a premature assumption.

- TAS

Exactly! I wasn't saying that the movie would be Marvel in terms of it's storytelling, pace, execution, etc.; I was talking about the TONE and the TONE only, nothing else.

As I've said, adding levity isn't the problem, it's the whole "Feels like a Marvel film in tone" that is.

#26 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12700 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts are pretty much what PeterParkerJr has already posted above. I'm not opposed at all to them adding some levity, but I hope it's not too much. I enjoy tone of the DCEU the way it is right now. I perfer WB/DC find their own way of being successful with the DCEU. The DCEU is still in it's infancy and changes are bound to happen, but I hope that doesn't mean copying or making their films more Disney/MARVEL esq.