SJW Marvel: Can Their Purse Puppy Characters Be Reformed?

DarknessClad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarknessClad

So as you can imagine I'm not all too pleased with Marvel Comics right now. Most of their comics are of consistent low quality and don't sell very well outside of crossover events and new issue 1's, hence why Marvel has flooded the market with them. One of their greatest faults is their new purse puppy characters (Kamala Khan, Riri Williams and Fem Thor to name a few). Bland, one-dimensional tools that are there purely for virtue signalling. These characters are written to never fail, have no personal or emotional conflict, to get constant self and outside praise despite doing nothing more than everyday hero things, and finally to pander to an audidence that doesn't read comics for the most part.

Before you call this a spite thread. I do want to push a legitemate question to everyone. If you agree with my statment, do you beleive these purse puppy characters can be reformed into decent characters? If you don't agree, what are your reasons?

Thank you for your time. :)

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Well, just to give my opinion on the characters you listed:

I've been able to read the first five trades of Kamala's series and so far I think it's pretty good. I don't think it's fair to lump her in with the rest of questionable Marvel's replacements. For one thing, she DIDN'T replace Carol Danvers. Carol is still an active hero and is actually getting more attention and fame now. Kamala didn't force Carol out of being a hero like Riri or Jane Foster did to Tony and Thor. so even if you don't like her character or series, which you are certainly allowed to not like, I don't think she should be judged as harshly as some of Marvel's other "new" characters (and with the exception of her being forced onto the Avengers by another book written by a different author, Kamala for the most part is treated like an everyday teenage hero who often feels in over her head).

As for Riri and Jane Foster Thor, that's a bit harder. I know at least Jane has fans of her stories but even if both characters are written perfectly, people are still going to be very resistant to give them a chance because of how Marvel treated Iron Man and Thor in order to make these changes happen. This isn't like Sam taking over as Captain America because Steve was made too old and couldn't do it anymore but was still active in a way where he could help Sam. No, Marvel put Tony in a coma so Riri could be Iron Man/Iron Heart and made Thor unworthy of his own power for a reason we didn't get until three years later so Jane could become Thor. Mantle changes have worked in the past but there needs to be respect for the one who came before and Marvel didn't seem to have that for Tony and Thor when they made these changes.

The best fix I could say is go the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle route. People were hesitant to give him a chance too because he just felt like the diverse replacement for Ted Kord and felt he'd only been killed off to make way for Jaime. But Jaime's series handled that in a great way by having nothing but respect for Ted Kord, going on about what made Ted a great hero and how he and the first Blue Beetle had set up this legacy Jaime wanted to live up to. Jaime didn't come in as the guy who was just better than the gut he was taking the mantle from. He came in as the guy who grew and wanted to be worthy of the name and mantle he was taking on.