• 78 results
mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mysticmedivh

Recall seeing a scan where he apparently raped his own mother or something.

What's the deal with that?

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By lettsplay10

Where's the scan

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like something from Aaron's runs, tbh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Odin is a Nordic god who's generally associated with death, royalty, knowledge, battle, sorcery, poetry, and frenzy. I'd imagine he's done quite a bit of raping/killing/pillaging/conquering/torturing etc. throughout the millennia of his existence.

Homeboy doesn't give a dang about your mortal sensibilities.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

He's a Nordic god who's generally associated with death, royalty, knowledge, battle, sorcery, poetry, and frenzy. So yes, I'd imagine he's done a bit of raping/killing/pillaging/conquering/torturing etc. throughout the millennia of his existence.

Marvel's versions of most pantheons are pretty vanilla though, like for example Herc and Hippolyta history.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actual though, imagine how different Marvel would be if the Gods acted like their mythological counterparts.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

No Caption Provided

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spambot

That was part of For Asgard I think by Rob Rodi which portrayed Odin as raping Gaea to produce Thor. He wrote a bunch of one shot Thor stories which are meant to be more like the mythological stories and I'm not sure are meant to be canon.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-1351355
deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@spambot said:

That was part of For Asgard I think by Rob Rodi which portrayed Odin as raping Gaea to produce Thor. He wrote a bunch of one shot Thor stories which are meant to be more like the mythological stories and I'm not sure are meant to be canon.

I've always wondered if For Asgard is actually canon or not.

Some events there seem a bit weird like Thor's death.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laylah: It always seemed like he was just doing his own thing with his Thor stories. I don't really see them as canon. Fraction did a similar thing with Ages of Thunder which were meant to be more like mythological stories.

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

since always

Deszo44GoW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scans dont lie. But some writers are worth more than others. Using rape as shock value is a lame tactic.

KillerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#16 KillerZ  Moderator

Look up "Rindr" in wikipedia, Odin is confirmed rapist even in mythology.

DesperateCan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure you're not mixing him with Zeus. The allfather of rapists. Especially the original myths. Old Zeus couldn't keep it in his trousers.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Asgaard

The above scans are non canon, but part of a more mythological take like already was said above, in the continuity the conception of Thor between Odin and Gaea was showed in Thor #301, here...

But is not like that scans of Thor: For Asgard #3 have all the context of that take, in the next issue (#4), Odin confronts Gaea in the Rape accusations, saying that what happened between both was foretold in the moment that both met, and Gaea says that is true, their union was unavoidable, but it was Odin who chose the manner of the matter... So... Since this comic has a more mythological vibe, perhaps also would require a more knowledgeable and mature audience of some values and beliefs from when the Norse myths were formed (also some non mortal/mundane perspective)... Some of the main protagonists (not antagonists) of history channel series Vikings have killed innocent people, but since the series has good audience ratings in several countries, i guess its audience is able to understand the context of it...........

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

No wonder he and zeus are the kings

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23 dernman  Online

@sprior93 said:

He's a Nordic god who's generally associated with death, royalty, knowledge, battle, sorcery, poetry, and frenzy. So yes, I'd imagine he's done a bit of raping/killing/pillaging/conquering/torturing etc. throughout the millennia of his existence.

Marvel's versions of most pantheons are pretty vanilla though, like for example Herc and Hippolyta history.

In myth he didn't rape her. He was ticked into killing her by Hera who tricked the Amazons into attacking him. Before that they were getting along and she willingly gave him the girdle. Don't confuse DC's version with the myth thinking Marvel is playing it tame.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dernman  Online

@spambot said:

That was part of For Asgard I think by Rob Rodi which portrayed Odin as raping Gaea to produce Thor. He wrote a bunch of one shot Thor stories which aremeant to be more like the mythological stories and I'm not sure are meant to be canon.

Which is funny because Gaea isn't part of Norse myth.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Asgaard

@dernman said:
@spambot said:

That was part of For Asgard I think by Rob Rodi which portrayed Odin as raping Gaea to produce Thor. He wrote a bunch of one shot Thor stories which aremeant to be more like the mythological stories and I'm not sure are meant to be canon.

How so? In Marvel comics the Asgardians also know her as Jord (see my link of post #20), In Norse myths Jord (Jörð) also is the personification of Earth and that is why Thor is more described as protector of mankind than the other Gods of Asgard...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dernman  Online

@asgaard said:
@dernman said:
@spambot said:

How so? In Marvel comics the Asgardians also know her as Jord (see my link of post #20), In Norse myths Jord (Jörð) also is the personification of Earth and that is why Thor is more described as protector of mankind than the other Gods of Asgard...

Marvel Myth =/= Norse Myth

Jord =/= Gaea

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Asgaard

@dernman said:
@asgaard said:
@dernman said:
@spambot said:

Jord =/= Gaea

Sure... But isn't the personification of Earth & Thor's mother the essential part of the overall equation?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dernman  Online

@asgaard said:
@dernman said:
@asgaard said:
@dernman said:
@spambot said:

Jord =/= Gaea

Sure... But isn't the personification of Earth the essential part of the overall equation?

Not really when you consider the fact that they have more than one god being the god personification of something all the time.

Also if i remember correctly he never raped Jord only Rindr.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@asgaard said:
@dernman said:
@asgaard said:
@dernman said:
@spambot said:

Jord =/= Gaea

Sure... But isn't the personification of Earth the essential part of the overall equation?

Not really when you consider the fact that they have more than one god being the god personification of something all the time.

I disagree... Both in the comics and myth, Earth's personification as Thor's mother serves basically the same purpose... As for the rest i am not making any argument that Marvel comics follows the mythology, its far from that, but some characters have similar purposes...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dernman  Online

@asgaard said:
@dernman said:
@asgaard said:
@dernman said:
@asgaard said:
@dernman said:
@spambot said:

Jord =/= Gaea

I disagree... Both in the comics and myth, Earth's personification as Thor's mother serves basically the same purpose... As for the rest i am not making any argument that Marvel comics follows the mythology, its far from that, but some characters have similar purposes...

How many gods of the Sky, War, Heavens, Hell, Sea, Thunder? How many gods of summer, winter, and summer? This is no different.

It's one thing if you were combining Roman/Greek because they actually come from the same place but it's another if you're combining Norse and Greek.

That's just how it is. Gaea is Greek myth and Thor doesn't even exist there. Other pantheons don't exist. That's why you have to make it so where there can be two different versions of the same thing. That way we can have two different versions of the same. Like the heavens. or hells. Not to mention the gods of certain aspects like love, war.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Asgaard

@dernman:

How many gods of the Sky, War, Heavens, Hell, Sea, Thunder? How many gods of summer, winter, and summer? This is no different.

It's one thing if you were combining Roman/Greek because they actually come from the same place but it's another if you're combining Norse and Greek.

The concept/embodiment of Earth always was present in several cultures... And i would love to read about Marvel Gaea and all her range, unfortunately her purpose is 95% (just) Jord (Thor's Mother, after Fear Itself she was one of the 3 All Mothers, till today i am not sure why, lol) and 5% Gaea.. So like i said her purpose in the comics is very similar to the mother of Thor in the mythology... At least in my view... If she was really explored in all her range... Then... I would like it and you would have a more solid point...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dernman  Online

@asgaard said:

@dernman:

The concept/embodiment of Earth always was present in several cultures... And i would love to read about Marvel Gaea and all her range, unfortunately her purpose is 95% (just) Jord (Thor's Mother, after Fear Itself she was one of the 3 All Mothers, till today i am not sure why, lol) and 5% Gaea.. So like i said her purpose in the comics is very similar to the mother of Thor is the mythology... At least in my view... If she was really explored in all her range... Then... I would like it and you would have a more solid point...

By that logic because all cultures have a heaven, and Hell they should be the same place. Then Hades and the norse Goddess Hel should be the same being or would that be Tartarus and Hel? Odin and Zeus should be the same? Should then Ares and Tyr be the same being also?

I'll repeat this since you missed it.

That's just how it is. Gaea is Greek myth and Thor doesn't even exist there. Other pantheons don't exist. That's why you have to make it so where there can be two different versions of the same thing. That way we can have two different versions of the same. Like the heavens. or hells. You have to say ok these are actually just two different places. Not to mention the gods of certain aspects like love, war.

So when I say Gaea isn't Norse myth it's just factual and if he was doing the book more like the Myth he would have used Jord instead.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

So when I say (The Greek goddess) Gaea isn't North myth it's just factual.

Here there is nothing to dispute... If there is any post possibly not making it clear, i objectively concede this...

But also Marvel Gaea =/= Greek Gaea, right?

Either way i see Gaea more as a concept than a specific Goddess of the Greek mythology, that is why i said that character (but should have said concept) (embodiment of Earth) was in the Norse Myth... But again objectively you are right...

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I'm actually not sure that he(Rodi) did call her by Gaea in that comic. I don't have it anymore so can't look that up but it also may have just slipped his mind to call her Jord if he did call her by that name(Gaea).

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dernman  Online

@asgaard said:

@dernman:

So when I say (The Greek goddess) Gaea isn't North myth it's just factual.

But also Marvel Gaea =/= Greek Gaea, right?

Right but my original comment was on the story being more like Norse Myth and since Jord, not Gaea is Norse myth the comment stands.

Either way i see Gaea more as a concept than a specific Goddess of the Greek mythology, that is why i said that character (but should have said concept) (embodiment of Earth) was in the Norse Myth... But again objectively you are right...

This I get but even so I feel doing so disregards much of what makes them up and reduces them to empty place holders that are easily replaceable.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dernman  Online

@spambot said:

@dernman: I'm actually not sure that he(Rodi) did call her by Gaea in that comic. I don't have it anymore so can't look that up but it also may have just slipped his mind to call her Jord if he did call her by that name(Gaea).

I actually read that comic also and can't remember either. Though I went along with the assumption because it wasn't the only place I read Odin raped Gaea.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

Right but my original comment was on the story being more like Norse Myth and since Jord, not Gaea is Norse myth the comment stands.

I can only speak for me, but when i said more mythological it was in the sense of tone and vibe... Not necessarily plot points... The comic still has the Warriors Three... That is not from the myth for sure... Again seem more like a communication problem...

@dernman said:
@spambot said:

I actually read that comic also and can't remember either. Though I went along with the assumption because it wasn't the only place I read Odin raped Gaea.

Odin says Jord The Earth Goddess... But if it said Gaea it was basically the same... The comic is far from being mythological pure... Thor is not red head/eyes or Sif has golden hair...

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spambot

@asgaard: I don't think Rodi was really going for mythological purity. He was just taking the characters and trying to give them a more mythological portrayal(in his mind) and a story more suited to the edda kind of stories. Its similar to what Fraction did in Ages of Thunder.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Blackdog2009

@deszo44gow: comic fans are very hypocritical. they see the word 'rape' and all of a sudden are very sensitive and moralistically pure of heart. but have Thanos (or some other popular comicbook villain) take the head off of Wolverine in one huge splash page and "ooh, Thanos is so bad ass and cool" !!!

See, in comics rape> dismemberment, murder, stealing, kidnapping, burning alive, etc etc .

It reminds me of the uproar back when Identity Crisis came out and had Dr.Light raping Sue Dibny. "Oh my God, it's ok for DL to try and kill teenagers but don't let him be the 'raping' kind of villain!"

IT'S FICTION. PICTURE BOOKS WITH FICTIONAL CHARACTERS THAT DO EVIL AND GOOD THINGS. Drop it.

Gpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a white male. What did you expect?

Sarcasm I suspect

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deszo44GoW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackdog2009: You obviously saw that I said using rape is a lame scare tactic. Believing this i just think the writers creativity was stifled. Thus, I am showing I am not a prude to the writers creativity or storytelling tactic but it was also a clear shock tactic that is kind of meh. Zeus has already been raping women in the guise of their husbands and animals ironically so I don't really care; it just seems like an unnecessary shock value but to each his own.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So there may be a reason Loki hates him. Did Odin want some frost booty?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude . . .

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan2424 said:

Dude . . .

I regert nothing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deszo44gow: My apologies I wasn't saying you specifically. But yeah, I get your 'shock value' argument. But it works. Here we are in a thread about it lol . I mean, it got us talking about it.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's galactus? kick his ass

Infinitias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's galactus? kick his ass

Well, if he's really a rapist, I think he'll do more than just kick . . .