"Silver Surfer: Black" Discussion (SPOILERS)

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

This was an amazing mini-series, I don't know why people are not talking more about it, the last issue in specific was a masterpiece.

Share your thoughts ?

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Thor-Parker

Also, did Norrin create the birth of the universe as we know it or what was that ? Man, this truly felt like the final story for the character, where he is finally redeemed and leaves all the guilt in the past.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

How does it compares to Requiem?

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Alright, I'll read it tonight.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By adamTRMM

The second I saw Knull I dropped asap. Honestly, even Aaron does things that I like from time to time. Cates edged it out. Cosmic Rider is despicable in every way possible and Knull is the worst villain sue since Cassandra Nova. And that guy can't help himself from shoving these cancerous two every effing where.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

The second I saw Knull I dropped asap. Honestly, even Aaron does things that I like from time to time. Cates edged it out. Cosmic Rider is despicable in every way possible and Knull is the worst villain sue since Cassandra Nova. And that guy can't help himself from shoving these cancerous two every effing where.

I do dislike Knull so far, but CGR is awesome, and Cates is being praised everywhere in 99% of his books, maybe he is just not your cup of coffee.

I find that weird though, I thought you'd like it.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does it compares to Requiem?

They are both excellent character studies of Norrin, hard to say which one is better since Black is more recent in my mind, I'd have to re-read Requiem.

Avatar image for randybutternubs
RandyButterNubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art is a turn off for me.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By adamTRMM

@thor_parker82:

CGR is more xtreme 90s than even 90s themselves dared to be. What if we had a GR combined with Silver Surfer flavor that is also Punisher and paradoxically Deadpool and all of that from alternate reality And future. 3dg1. Meh.

The issue wasn't bad per se, but after I saw Knull I knew where it is going.

Cates, Ewing and Aaron all are praised almost everywhere and I dislike that trio. The anti Aaron cult is pretty much the vine's thing the way I saw.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@thor_parker82:

CGR is more xtreme 90s than even 90s themselves dared to be. What if we had a GR combined with Silver Surfer flavor that is also Punisher and paradoxically Deadpool and all of that from alternate reality And future. 3dg1. Meh.

The issue wasn't bad per se, but after I saw Knull I knew where it is going.

Cates, Ewing and Aaron all are praised almost everywhere and I dislike that trio. The anti Aaron cult is pretty much the vine's thing the way I saw.

Aaron isn't praised everywhere, 90% of Thor fans I've interacted with hate what he's done to Thor..............Ewing is doing a phenomenal job with Hulk.................Cates is excellent in all his books IMO....

I do understand your issue with CGR but I personally don't mind it, he's a cool amalgam.

Also, where is your pic from ?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By adamTRMM

@thor_parker82:

We on the X-board hated Aaron before it was cool anyway :p

Ewing is fine when he knows his place. But when he thinks he's apt to go cosmic and abstract it ends up being just laughable. Beside Beyonder Corp he didn't come up with a single good concept in that area and even then these Beyonders were substitutes. But One Below All? Lifebringer? The whatever iteration of cosmos? Give me a break. Cates... He started with Thanos and Maestro ripoff version of Thanos and this walking gimmick GR and then proceeded to carry that crap to GotG and then comes Venom and there's Knull and now there's a wide spread cash grab symbiote event that wanted a part of Sony's Venom success lol

It's an X-Men 4 cover actually. But I heard they are rewriting it which is concerning because Apoc, Magneto and X going white collar is something so OTT I was totally caught off guard and it had my full attention lol

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@thor_parker82:

We on the X-board hated Aaron before it was cool anyway :p

Ewing is fine when he knows his place. But when he thinks he's apt to go cosmic and abstract it ends up being just laughable. Beside Beyonder Corp he didn't come up with a single good concept in that area and even then these Beyonders were substitutes. But One Below All? Lifebringer? The whatever iteration of cosmos? Give me a break. Cates... He started with Thanos and Maestro ripoff version of Thanos and this walking gimmick GR and then proceeded to carry that crap to GotG and then comes Venom and there's Knull and now there's a wide spread cash grab symbiote event that wanted a part of Sony's Venom success lol

It's an X-Men 4 cover actually. But I heard they are rewriting it which is concerning because Apoc, Magneto and X going white collar is something so OTT I was totally caught off guard and it had my full attention lol

Lol........X fans didn't like Aaron's run on X-Men ? I've heard very divided opinions about his Wolverine and the X-Men book, ranging from masterpiece to a boring and uneventful book, however his solo Wolverine book I absolutely loved, and 90% of the reviews I've seen on it agree that it was a great book. I also read the first arc of his Amazing X-Men and it was fine, neither good nor bad, simply fine.

I have to disagree with you on both Ewing and Cates, IMO Ewing has been excellent especially in his Ultimates and Ultimates II, I do have to point out that the very few instances he's written Thor though, he's done it awful, but aside from that I've loved his work. Same with Cates, there is not a single book from him I have not enjoyed.

I see, it looks awesome.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82:

Lol........X fans didn't like Aaron's run on X-Men ? I've heard very divided opinions about his Wolverine and the X-Men book, ranging from masterpiece to a boring and uneventful book, however his solo Wolverine book I absolutely loved, and 90% of the reviews I've seen on it agree that it was a great book. I also read the first arc of his Amazing X-Men and it was fine, neither good nor bad, simply fine.

There are many ridiculous X-fans out there so I can't speak for everyone, but on Vine's board, and I always loved it for that, we have some of the most hardcore X-heads in here so "no bullshit politics" have always been part of the equation and Aaron's crap haven't been given a pass not even for a second. The maddening imbecility of some mcguffin kids defeating the Extinction Team will never cease to amaze me with absurd that this joker could have had such a successful career... Which bring us to a point of how surprised I was to learn everyone is in love with his new opus "God of Thunder" back in Marvel Now days. And when I checked it out, I was impressed. And also kinda jealous. If he can do stuff like this when he's doing serious work, why wasn't his X-men like this?! But then... we all know how it ended and while everyone was in shock all I could think of "alright. now this seems like Jason Aaron I know and totally don't love." So part of me was kinda glad everyone could also share our misery, I have to admit looool all I know of his Wolverine is that hack story about Hellverine and some other shit where he kills all of his children. Le meh.

I have to disagree with you on both Ewing and Cates, IMO Ewing has been excellent especially in his Ultimates and Ultimates II, I do have to point out that the very few instances he's written Thor though, he's done it awful, but aside from that I've loved his work. Same with Cates, there is not a single book from him I have not enjoyed.

That moment where "Lifebringer" told one of the abstracts or whoever it was "it's abstract world and we can do here whatever the hell we imagine because imagination is so great!!!" was one the most cringy moments in comics I've ever read. I doubt even Golden Age was that cheesy and childish. But hey, who am I to ruin it to you? Like whatever you like, I know I do lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5b16d537c03
deactivated-5e5b16d537c03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Surfer is my favorite comic book character, so of course I've read it. It was too short, should have had more issues. But I had no problems with it besides that, and I enjoyed it quite well.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm:

There are many ridiculous X-fans out there so I can't speak for everyone, but on Vine's board, and I always loved it for that, we have some of the most hardcore X-heads in here so "no bullshit politics" have always been part of the equation and Aaron's crap haven't been given a pass not even for a second. The maddening imbecility of some mcguffin kids defeating the Extinction Team will never cease to amaze me with absurd that this joker could have had such a successful career... Which bring us to a point of how surprised I was to learn everyone is in love with his new opus "God of Thunder" back in Marvel Now days. And when I checked it out, I was impressed. And also kinda jealous. If he can do stuff like this when he's doing serious work, why wasn't his X-men like this?! But then... we all know how it ended and while everyone was in shock all I could think of "alright. now this seems like Jason Aaron I know and totally don't love." So part of me was kinda glad everyone could also share our misery, I have to admit looool all I know of his Wolverine is that hack story about Hellverine and some other shit where he kills all of his children. Le meh.

Which X books did Aaron write and what did he do that was so wrong ?

That moment where "Lifebringer" told one of the abstracts or whoever it was "it's abstract world and we can do here whatever the hell we imagine because imagination is so great!!!" was one the most cringy moments in comics I've ever read. I doubt even Golden Age was that cheesy and childish. But hey, who am I to ruin it to you? Like whatever you like, I know I do lol

LMAO funny you mention that, it's one of the most present moments I have on that run and my reaction was pretty much the same as yours, horrible dialogue, childish and just out of character for Galactus to say shit like that, and that "oh we're abstract and our fights are metaphysical" mumbo jumbo was thrown around many times and it irked me, no denying that, but the story itself and journey was very intriguing and well done IMO.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Surfer is my favorite comic book character, so of course I've read it. It was too short, should have had more issues. But I had no problems with it besides that, and I enjoyed it quite well.

Glad you enjoyed it, it was great.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By adamTRMM

@thor_parker82

Schism and WatXM are some of the worst abominations ever printed. To understand that just read it because it's basically the entirety of the thing. Amazing Xmen sucked as well IMO.