Should Uncle Sam be depicted with a southern accent?

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

I don't know, I feel it's wrong for him to have it.

Southern Americans betrayed the country in the 1860's, that should make it so the spirit of America should not sound like them.

Then again maybe I misheard the accent and he sounds like an acceptable accent.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HeroUp2112

It depends entirely on your point of view as to whether or not the South betrayed the country in the 1860's. I do not AGREE with what they did, and would have supported the Union, but (apart from the slavery issue) they had a valid disagreement with the Federal system (that again, I'm on the other side of) even though I'm from the South.

As far as whether or not Uncle Sam should have any kind of accent, I don't think he should have any kind of accent. That is to say I think he should have a Mid-Western or West Coast type of "non-accent".

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should sound like The Major from Hellsing.

No Caption Provided

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Revan-

He should sound like a valley girl.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should have a Cajun accent.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rogueshadow  Moderator

He should sound like Mr. Plinkett.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Heh. Americans and their funny concepts.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By krspaceT

It depends entirely on your point of view as to whether or not the South betrayed the country in the 1860's. I do not AGREE with what they did, and would have supported the Union, but (apart from the slavery issue) they had a valid disagreement with the Federal system (that again, I'm on the other side of) even though I'm from the South.

As far as whether or not Uncle Sam should have any kind of accent, I don't think he should have any kind of accent. That is to say I think he should have a Mid-Western or West Coast type of "non-accent".

They attacked a U.S fort after seceding from the nation and taking government property. They invaded non-rebelling states multiple times, killed American soldiers and probably american civilians while invading Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, and the New Mexico territory.

If that isn't treason, then I don't know what is.

Also they left over Slavery: let's not pretend they didn't. Every reason that gets offered instead is connected to slavery.

States rights: to slavery.

Different economic systems: to slavery

A fear of loss of political power: that would affect slavery

The election of a candidate they didn't put on their ballot: because of his views on slavery

To quote Mississippi among other states on the matter's secession declarations

In the momentous step, which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product, which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.....

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/mississippi_declaration.asp

My family is from the south and I go to college there: so believe me when I say that the South started the war and did so for slavery. They betrayed the union and thus the idea of the spirit of America having their voice is quite wrong.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krspacet said:
@heroup2112 said:

They attacked a U.S fort after seceding from the nation and taking government property. They invaded non-rebelling states multiple times, killed American soldiers and probably american civilians while invading Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, and the New Mexico territory.

If that isn't treason, then I don't know what is.

Also they left over Slavery: let's not pretend they didn't. Every reason that gets offered instead is connected to slavery.

States rights: to slavery.

Different economic systems: to slavery

A fear of loss of political power: that would affect slavery

The election of a candidate they didn't put on their ballot: because of his views on slavery

To quote Mississippi among other states on the matter's secession declarations

In the momentous step, which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product, which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.....

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/mississippi_declaration.asp

My family is from the south and I go to college there: so believe me when I say that the South started the war and did so for slavery. They betrayed the union and thus the idea of the spirit of America having their voice is quite wrong.

Once more, I will say that I think the South was wrong. However, if you look at two thirds of that quote you supplied you will see that the threat that they were concerned about was their economy. They (incorrectly) believed that slaves were vital to the sustainment of their economy and society, and viewed that the North's encroachment on their way of life the North's self interest overriding theirs. Yes, slavery was at the heart of all of it, but not necessarily in the way that it's popularized. Furthermore, the North's (by and large) view on black people wasn't much better. They wanted blacks free, but they didn't much want them coming north from the South, and the few black units that were allowed were treated like utter garbage by the Army I might add. Once MORE, I will say that I would have been on the side of the Union, for a number of reasons, but the Civil War wasn't as cut and dried and all about slavery as a lot of people like to believe.

At any rate, the Civil War was over a hundred and forty years ago and I think the right side won, let it go. Besides the fact that I've already stated that I think that Uncle Sam should be given no discernible accent so that he's as inclusive as possible to as many American's as possible.