Should there be obese super heroes?

Mr_FudgePacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should there be obese super heroes? (52 votes)

Yes 40%
No 48%
Results 12%

Over 300,000 people a year die from obesity. Which is 4× higher than alchohol related deaths and only a little more than 100,000 less than tobacco-related deaths. So why does Marvel think it's okay to represent heroes like this:

No Caption Provided

A comic book hero should be physically fit. It should be what we aspire to be. They should motivate obese people to get up and exercise. Not tell them that it's okay to lay around and have another donut.

• 
Skrskr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That’s stupid, people come in all shapes and sizes so why wouldn’t super heroes?

Also seeing super fit people doesn’t motivate everyone, if that was the case there wouldn’t be any obesity as 99% of super heroes are in amazing shape.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. If someone had the choice to be saved by a someone in tip top shape over an unhealthy person, he or she would choose the person in tip top shape.

I agree superheroes should be physically fit. Even Barbara Gordon kept fit as Oracle.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Not everyone has to be drawn like a bodybuilder or a supermodel, but they shouldn't be obese either.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By McFlicky

I don't think so. Unless being fat is their superpower like blob. You would have to be in great shape to do what superheroes do. No one would take spider-man seriously if he was overweight and he wouldn't be nearly as effective as a crime fighter. If I got powers and decided to be a hero, I'd get myself in shape first so I can be as effective as possible.

KillerQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KillerQueen  Online

Having obese superheroes would send the message that being overweight isn't an issue, something that would be counterproductive to their goal of saving people considering the amount of deaths per year associated with being obese or overweight.

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

subline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Having obese superheroes would send the message that being overweight isn't an issue, something that would be counterproductive to their goal of saving people considering the amount of deaths per year associated with being obese or overweight.

Joker567892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe not obese, but not being fit shouldn't be a problem (not US normal size as that would make them fat).

I don't think the new superheroes (the one depicted in the OP) body shape is a problem, it's the other things associated with them. It's just insulting to actual minorities..

Menos_Kegare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I don't see the problem here.

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KillBilly

Wouldn't make much sense honestly. While there are heroes and villains who are mostly reliant on their powers or tech that don't necessarily NEED to be in good physical condition, they usually tend to be as villains often need to escape after a heist or caper while the hero tends to need to chase them down and they will usually train to deal with a situation where they've been deprived of their powers or tech.

I also don't think having obese characters for the sake of representing that demographic is the kind of message we want to be sending out tbh. Obesity can cause serious health problems to people who have it. Normalizing it and telling people it's ok to live that way probably isn't a good idea.

mrtwotimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fatman and Baskin Robin

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Michaelbn  Online

Overweight is alright. Obese is being unhealthy and on the verge of a heart attack. I liked Peter B Parker being overweight but not obese, and I don't agree with the idea of being "fit", because in comic books being fit means being ridiculously jacked and muscular with zero percent of fat; being not too fat and not too muscular works much better.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on their power(s):

I can definitely see a techno path being very unhealthy, especially if they dont go out often or are an information broker.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No superheroes are what children look up to in a way

I mean who didn't want to be a hero/villain in their childhood

Heroes should be fit but it's okay if they don't have abs

Just fit

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

No Caption Provided

noobmaster2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, I mean would people take Batman or Wonder Woman Serousily if they were overweight.

Mr_FudgePacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skrskr said:

That’s stupid, people come in all shapes and sizes so why wouldn’t super heroes?

Superheroes already do come in all shapes and sizes. We've got short ones who can be considered "ugly" like Wolverine and we have tall good looking ones like Batman. But obesity isn't a shape that people naturally come in. It is something that people do to themselves through bad eating habits and lack of exercise.

@byondeon said:

I don't think the new superheroes (the one depicted in the OP) body shape is a problem, it's the other things associated with them. It's just insulting to actual minorities..

Any girl with that body shape would be obese. Look up a BMI calculator. Obesity might not be as heavy as you think it is.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There’s nothing super about obesity.

ger4lt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean we have characters like Mr Incredible who are fat and they’re pretty great.

Crater_Maker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly yeah I think so.

Everybody should have a hero they can relate to.

Skrskr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_fudgepacker: no one said people are naturally obese, that is entirely irrelevant to the point.

People come in all shapes and sizes which includes obese people, meaning there is nothing wrong with having an obese superhero.

There is nothing to prove having more obese or lack of obese superheroes will have any influence on the general populations size so who cares?

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skrskr said:

Superheroes already do come in all shapes and sizes. We've got short ones who can be considered "ugly" like Wolverine and we have tall good looking ones like Batman. But obesity isn't a shape that people naturally come in. It is something that people do to themselves through bad eating habits and lack of exercise.

^

Avatar image for randybutternubs
RandyButterNubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the appeal in a 400lb man/woman with bellies and folds protruding while fighting bad guys.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon said:

Any girl with that body shape would be obese. Look up a BMI calculator. Obesity might not be as heavy as you think it is.

If BMI would determine if you are obese or not, then there are plenty of Superheroes that would be obese..

Mr_FudgePacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skrskr said:

@mr_fudgepacker: no one said people are naturally obese, that is entirely irrelevant to the point.

It sounded like you were trying to make that point when you say:

People come in all shapes and sizes which includes obese people

Because people don't naturally "come" obese, they make themselves that way.

@skrskr said:

There is nothing to prove having more obese or lack of obese superheroes will have any influence on the general populations size so who cares?

Are you aware that Marvel has banned tobacco use due to it being a bad influence on the kids? We haven't seen Wolverine or Nick Fury have a smoke in nearly two decades. Don't you think its hypocritical for one deadly thing to be banned for being a bad influence while another deadly thing is essentially being put on display?

Lan_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone a little bit thick would be fine. As long as they can stand up. What I don't like about comic is that everyone looks like bodybuilders and super models. That's not really realistic.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan said:

Someone a little bit thick would be fine. As long as they can stand up. What I don't like about comic is that everyone looks like bodybuilders and super models. That's not really realistic.

Characters look physically in shape and attractive

"This isn't realistic"

Characters can fly and shoot lasers out their faces while punching aliens.

"This is fine"

Lan_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Well, what if all of them shot lasers instead of having other superpowers? Would that be fun? I don't think their bodies aren't realistic, but it isn't realistic for everyone to have them.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 juiceboks  Moderator

A lot of false equivalences and fatshaming strewn throughout this thread. There are plenty of overweight and plus-size superheroes that aren't restricted because of their body type..being a superhero isn't as physically demanding as some people assume especially if you're on a team

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ANTHP2000

I mean, there are, they're just not popular compared to the big names. But regardless, it's a pointless topic. It makes sense for some of these characters to be overweight, but it makes even more sense for them not to be, esspecially when most of the time they're supposed to be ideal physically. For instance female characters this strong physically would not look half as feminine in reality, and yet you have the strongest women in the world supposedly being the most beautiful at the same time. It's just how comics work.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Penguin-Dust

If it fits the storyline and the character’s powers then I think it’s fine, but if they’re overweight just to have a fat guy or gal to check the box on the diversity list, then no.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vishop_

Yeah, I don't see any problem with disfigured or obsessed superhero characters but sometimes overly exaggerated obsessed characters even in comics looks kinda of superficial

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superheroes are a power fantasy. Does anyone feel empowered by being overweight? I dunno, but there are different kind of people our there so I wouldn't be surprised.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 12

Yes, I don;t see why not. However, publishers should try to not overly exaggerate obesity. Most characters that are considered "obese" in comic books tend to look like the Blob or something of that kind.

There should be characters with different looks - very very obese, beer bellies, just fluffy in a way or ones that are even anorexic or just without abs and exaggerated muscles.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You all need to read Herbie

BB

Skrskr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_fudgepacker: I don’t see why you are stuck on that, obviously people don’t naturally come that way....that doesn’t mean that “people come in all shapes in sizes” doesn’t include obese people. That statement has nothing to do with how people are born.

Because of pushback they were forced to do that, maybe it was a smart move and maybe it did nothing for the actual amount of kids smoking. Also there is a massive difference in a kid seeing a cool character smoke, as I’ve literally seen kids emulate this and I was too one of them whenever they had the fake cigarette gum. Compared to seeing a fat character, never in life has a kid seen a fat character and been like “you know what, I want to be fat”.

At most already obese kids might find someone they can relate to, and what’s wrong with that?

As someone who was an obese kid I can tell you it doesn’t matter about outside influence when it comes to obesity, you are gonna lose the weight when you really want to lose the weight and outside pressure doesn’t do more than give you either more anxiety or pushes you to do something like a crash diet which will never stick.

SocaJunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SocaJunkie  Online

No, because being obese is not ok nor should it be promoted in any way.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the power type. If your primary power is telekinesis or something like that, being in tip top shape isn't much of a requirement. If you're in the nitty gritty, hand to hand fighting and chasing down criminals, then that hero should and likely would be in shape.

BruceRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If the superhero's deal involves a lot of physical activity and/or they have an enhanced metabolism, regeneration etc then no.

noobmaster2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By noobmaster2001  Online

@juiceboks: Not trying to fat Shame anyone, but would you honestly take someone like Spider-Man seriously if he was 400 pounds? Obviously there are some exceptions to this, but I see superheroes as a role model and someone to look up to.and promoting obesity isn’t my thing.

Avatar image for undeckedlion395
Undeckedlion395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the only obese hero I remember working and that's cuz his obesity play into his powers.

No Caption Provided

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sort of miss Megas XLR.

YouSmokeWeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it's all about superpowers.

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes .

It sends outa positive message for children , you don’t need to have a superficially good body to be talented , good , or competent .

But , given that obesity does cause health issues , I would say keep it somewhere in the middle .

Like the person isn’t obese or unhealthy , but doesn’t have

like 6 six pack abs or perfect jaw which is squarer than a Rubik’s cube .

Avatar image for captain_inverse
captain_inverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crater_maker: you dont need relatability to enjoy a character. It may help SOME people but definitely not necessarily.

I dont relate AT ALL to a southern California teenage cheerleader but Buffy is one of my all time favorite characters

I also dont relate to TMNT

Crater_Maker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_inverse:

Didn’t say that you needed to relate to a character to enjoy it. I’m saying it’s nice to have a character you can follow and make personal connections with.

But like you said not everyone is the same and some people care others don’t. But it wouldn’t hurt to give the people who do care something they can relate to even if it’s not their favorite hero.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Should? No, if the artist/ wants it, sure.