• 120 results
Avatar image for anywhichwaybutup
AnyWhichWayButUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well why not appeal to everyone in a way that they might feel insecure about by making heavier heroes. Not alot just a handful. Maybe not main heroes but ones to help out from time to time. I want to know your opinion.

Avatar image for spidermanandsuperman
spidermanandsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been saying they should have fat superheroes since

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No, being fat is unhealthy and it shouldnt be encouraged, I know there are diseases out there but everything has exceptions.

I really wouldnt mind some heavier built characters though, but plain fat / obese is a no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

That wouldn't make any sense. Superheroism involves a lot of physical activity and intense training if they're going to survive. Fat people would quickly lose their fat.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

It didn't work for Tony Stark.

No Caption Provided

AmazingGamer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This thread reminded me of Bouncing Boy from the Legion of Superheroes.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By GunGunW

Yes.

lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By lagoon_boy

There's a big dude from Asgard, I forgot his name. Maybe someone can post him here.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@lagoon_boy:

His name is Volstagg.

He was quite fit in his younger years, but he let himself go a little since then...

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Why? It's nearly as that thread about transgender characters...

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I remember how annoyed I was when they replaced Amanda "The Wall" Waller with a generic female in New DC 52'.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microbe was a fat super-hero. Although his power was sort of lame and he is dead now :(

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There already is one and he's called the Blob.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xNahtebx

Yes, there should. It is not the responsibility of the media to represent only healthy lifestyle choices. Fat people exist, so why shouldn't they be represented?

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, they'res Zephyr from Harbinger, and people seem to love her.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I think it'd be cool to have some. Especially if they have powers that don't require much physical exertion.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. They're fat people in real life so why not?

Avatar image for regal_rumble_man
Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Regal_Rumble_Man
ArticulateT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, yes and no.

Yes in the sense that one should be proud of who they are, while at the same time try to better themselves, should they feel the need to. Being overweight, while not healthy of course, isn't made any easier by the negative outlook on their appearance. Superhero stories, while being about high-action, also have a tendency to show how 'human' these gods among men are. Having a superhero who has a weight problem during their secret identity and social life could have a similar, positive reception as heroes who are gay or socially ousted for reasons such as their hobbies, clothes or philosophy.

Then again, Superheroes are also meant to be a symbol of some kind. This symbol is one that is meant to be abstract, or beyond human. People follow symbols and non-human ideals (in the comic book world, at least) more than actual people in most cases. In that sense, it gives justification for the abs you can grind steel on or the boobs bigger than basket balls and just as firm. Making the character seem more human in that sense may bring that symbol down a bit. "What? He's just like a regular guy, what can he do?" Though, in that same sense, it might have the opposite effect. "Hey, look at that guy. He can really do anything when he puts his mind to it!" and this can be bolstered if that guy has a weight problem.

It's quite the complex issue, but I can say that it would be interesting if there were more overweight heroes in the comic world, like this:

No Caption Provided

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I don't see why not.

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blob, Bouncing Boy, and Volstagg, come to mind.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StrangeMan

The problem about Fat Characters is somewhat similar to the big problem about diverse characters, making a diverse character just because you feel the "need" to create one, like many gay characters, Bunker was a character created with the mind set of "gay character", basically the only real interesting thing about him is his sexuality, and that's an aspect that should be played around the character, not the character being played around that aspect. Like Apollo, he's an awesome character who just so happens to be gay, maybe they created him with the idea of making him gay from the very beggining, but it's less apparent than with, again, Bunker.

But with a fat character it's different, they don't create fat characters to be diverse, they create them for being funny, something that I find HIGHLY offensive, it's ok to have a fat character that's also a comic relief, but to create him just for that purpose and not making him able to be anything more than that is really distasteful. Just like with any other minority character, I want the aspect that makes him a minority to be just that, an aspect, not the whole reason for the character to exist, and with fat characters I want them to handle the situation with much more casuality, and not have the mind set of "lolz hes fat how fanny harr harr", and unlike other aspects of minority characters like race or sexuality, this is something that could happen to any character (Bruce Wayne can't become black or homosexual from one day to another, but he can gain a few pounds), and that's why it should be handled in a much more casual or... mundane manner, think Ted Kord for example, sadly the only character that I can think of who had a weight problem that wasn't caused just for s#its 'n giggles.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By PowerHerc

No, not really.

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There already is one and he's called the Blob.

In which universe is Blob a superhero O_o

AnyWhichWayButUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well there are some heroes but they really aren't shown. Also to what many of you are saying maybe over the course of some issues they gain some more muscle but not lose a whole lot of wieght. I think it'd be good since well heroes should appeal to everyone, a hero isn't made by how much he can lift but by his morals and mindset of sacrafice for the greater good of te people. Also I don't want an invasion just like 3-5 to help out from time to time and then maybe get a biggish role later down the road.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That wouldn't make any sense. Superheroism involves a lot of physical activity and intense training if they're going to survive. Fat people would quickly lose their fat.

There's plenty of powers that don't require physical activity :p

BB

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, why not?

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yup...

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ellie_Knightfall

The problem about Fat Characters is somewhat similar to the big problem about diverse characters, making a diverse character just because you feel the "need" to create one, like many gay characters, Bunker was a character created with the mind set of "gay character", basically the only real interesting thing about him is his sexuality, and that's an aspect that should be played around the character, not the character being played around that aspect. Like Apollo, he's an awesome character who just so happens to be gay, maybe they created him with the idea of making him gay from the very beggining, but it's less apparent than with, again, Bunker.

But with a fat character it's different, they don't create fat characters to be diverse, they create them for being funny, something that I find HIGHLY offensive, it's ok to have a fat character that's also a comic relief, but to create him just for that purpose and not making him able to be anything more than that is really distasteful. Just like with any other minority character, I want the aspect that makes him a minority to be just that, an aspect, not the whole reason for the character to exist, and with fat characters I want them to handle the situation with much more casuality, and not have the mind set of "lolz hes fat how fanny harr harr", and unlike other aspects of minority characters like race or sexuality, this is something that could happen to any character (Bruce Wayne can't become black or homosexual from one day to another, but he can gain a few pounds), and that's why it should be handled in a much more casual or... mundane manner, think Ted Kord for example, sadly the only character that I can think of who had a weight problem that wasn't caused just for s#its 'n giggles.

This is a pretty awesome post.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people shouldn't look up to someone who's ok with being obese. It's just an excuse for laziness. I'm a firefighter and I have an 7 month old son. I still find the time to work out and stay in shape. I work out atleast 6 times a week. I feel little sympathy for those who are lazy and making excuses not to exorcise and eat right. My job requires me to be fit although there are some on my job who are overweight. I have a problem with people not being fit who I work with due to the fact that they endanger my safety. There is a problem with kids and adults being overweight in this country and it's becoming an epidemic. I won't be apologetic for my views on the matter. No excuse.

girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Absolutely yes. As long as the character is written well.

AnyWhichWayButUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: I was just looking for opinions and yours is just as good I won't demand an apology from you.

lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lagoon_boy
Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PrinceIMC

Fat Cobra is awesome. And his powers aren't necessarily due to his largeness. He's got superspeed and can create lightning blasts. Though he's also super strong, durable and heals as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-6318083af35cc
deactivated-6318083af35cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyman

No Caption Provided

AnyWhichWayButUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AnyWhichWayButUp

Thanks for your opinions guys and girls

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah there should,I know there are some.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By comicace3

No Caption Provided

This thread reminded me of Bouncing Boy from the Legion of Superheroes.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fallen_Crippled

I think so. Isn't Kitty Pryde chubby? Not like fat, but I don't think she is skinny. I know she used to be chubby.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think so. Isn't Kitty Pryde chubby? Not like fat, but I don't think she is skinny. I know she used to be chubby.

She only wanted to be.

No Caption Provided

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's drawn to have a perfect teenage body, like every superhero/villain.

bigsoto74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

TheReptile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheReptile
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@bruxae: well being an unforgiving murderer shouldn't be encouraged, but you don't see that bothering Punisher readers.

You're saying something, just.not.sure it makes sense...

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#49  Edited By Black_Claw

Does Po from Kung Fu Panda count?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

as a fat person myself, Im conflicted on the matter. i suppose everyone does deserve representation though.