Should Superheroes kill villains that are repeat offenders?

HarryNorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should Superheroes kill villains that are repeat offenders? (35 votes)

Yes 54%
No 46%

Like in movies where at the end the villain often ends up dead and is unable to continue causing more harm to society, do you think comic heroes should do the same? In medicine, they say prevention is better than the cure. If villains continuously do not change and continue to pile on bodies then isn't the hero doing a great disservice by allowing them to live? Many heroes when given the opportunity even to let the villain die and not intervene for them will go out of their way to save them, knowing full well they will not change and kill people later.

No Caption Provided

So is it morally wrong for heroes to save or hold back from killing villains even though they will just end up killing more people down the line? If the hero is to protect society then by allowing these villains to live he/she will be doing the exact opposite.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Scarlet_Wiccan  Online

Imo yes, especially villians like Joker.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not their responsibility. It's the responsibility of the justice system of their world.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's against the law to be a vigilante. Its against the law to kill. Vigilante's have no legal power to kill. If they kill, even someone people deemed should be killed. It is still against the law and they'd be sent to jail for murder.

What they should do is catch them, take them to a state where the death penalty still exists and problem solved. No idea why the death penalty doesnt exit in the likes of Gotham since its so corrupt. Or why there isnt more characters like the Punisher/Dredd inside of them type of places.

In the real world, people will have hunted and killed the likes of Joker and co.

So my answer is no, they shouldn't because they dont have the legal right to.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No. No matter how you spin it, murder is murder. Superheroes are not executioners. It’s the legal system, flawed as it is, which decides the appropriate punishment for crimes against society. Because taking a life is the most serious action a person and community can commit, every fail safe must be explored to ensure mistakes are not being made. Can you imagine what would happen if a “hero” executed someone they thought was guilty, but it turns out they were not?

HarryNorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HarryNorine

It's against the law to be a vigilante. Its against the law to kill. Vigilante's have no legal power to kill. If they kill, even someone people deemed should be killed. It is still against the law and they'd be sent to jail for murder.

What they should do is catch them, take them to a state where the death penalty still exists and problem solved. No idea why the death penalty doesnt exit in the likes of Gotham since its so corrupt. Or why there isnt more characters like the Punisher/Dredd inside of them type of places.

In the real world, people will have hunted and killed the likes of Joker and co.

Vigilantes already start showing they don't GAF about the justice system when they choose to go after criminals themselves. And if law enforcement are unable to contain said threat or have had a chronic history of failing to contain it, then shouldn't it be morally obligated by the hero to kill/eliminate that threat so that it does not cause further harm to society in the future? By allowing said threat to persist, the hero should be held accountable for every atrocious act committed by the villain.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Quinlan58
@harrynorine said:
@supreme_marvel said:

Vigilantes already start showing they don't GAF about the justice system when they choose to go after criminals themselves. And if law enforcement are unable to contain said threat or have had a chronic history of failing to contain it, then shouldn't it be morally obligated by the hero to kill/eliminate that threat so that it does not cause further harm to society in the future? By allowing said threat to persist, the hero should be held accountable for every atrocious act committed by the villain.

It is not their responsibility to "deal with the threats", that's a voluntary service to their community that no one can demand of them. You can deny them the title of "hero" if you so wish, but that does not make them obligated to deal with a problem that was never their responsibility.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f272e5ba44a1
deactivated-5f272e5ba44a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would cancel so many potential stories so no

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually in comics? No, it would ruin stories...

Morally? Allowing Joker, Green Goblin, and such villains to survive is wrong. "They don't have any responsibility because they don't have to do anything" doesn't work, they are valuing their own moral code over the lives of dozens who will die later; it's selfish.

Punisher is honestly completely justified most of the time.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By byondeon

Some heroes are already killing villains. And while I don't think that they should make heroes like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man kill villains, I do think they should make heroes actually kill villains that are actually not afraid to kill. And that the heroes that don't kill should stop them.

However I do think that killing a villain should only be used as a last resort.

KillerQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KillerQueen

I don't even think repeat offences are needed depending on the crime. Some people deserve to die, so if killing them would save lives and taxpayer money, then I'm all in.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

with characters like the joker, kill them.

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not their responsibility. It's the responsibility of the justice system of their world.

Sonath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep.

Leonhardt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, obviously. If you kill the villain you are saving many way more innocent lives from being in danger. F#$k the law, you can't take chances from people like Joker and others. Killing a few bad guys to save thousands of good people is still being a hero in my eyes. This is why anti-heroes are a thing.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course especially with guys like Joker around

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinlan58 said:

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By infantfinite128

If Wolverine is defending some kids against Sabretooth, and he has to kill him for self-defense of those kids, he should.

But to murder Sabretooth when he's incapacitated, no.

And Joker should get the death penalty, but Batman should not murder him.

Gotham should have the death penalty.

helpm3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put them in the Phantom Zone

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

prepmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not for Batman villains. Bruce is fighting against twisted/contrast versions of himself. Its more of a psychological and ideological battle for him than a struggle between superheroes and supervillains.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 IrishX  Online

I agree with this as far as holding the hero accountable.

That said I also don't have a problem if they choose to take on the responsibility.

"Men get arrested. Dogs get put down." - Rorschach

With clear evidence there are some who have forfeited their lives.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Darkthunder

If Wolverine is defending some kids against Sabretooth, and he has to kill him for self-defense of those kids, he should.

But to murder Sabretooth when he's incapacitated, no.

And Joker should get the death penalty, but Batman should not murder him.

Gotham should have the death penalty.

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
WolverineBatmanFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Often, I think so. There some villains, like Joker, who must be put down. But then, there's also this side of the argument:

Loading Video...

It'd be too damned easy. All I've ever wanted to do is kill him. A day doesn't go by when I don't think about subjecting him to every horrendous torture he's dealt out to others, and then... end him.

But if I do that, if I allow myself to go down into that place...

I'll never come back.

Asurakj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Asurakj

It's better for these so called heroes to become cops or coffee shop workers since they aren't doing shit especially Batman. If he did nothing it would still be the same as his rogue group has killed in thousands many times.

prepmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By prepmaster

@asurakj said:

It's better for these so called heroes to become cops or coffee shop workers since they aren't doing shit especially Batman.

I believe that there are alternate universes where Batman doesn't become a crimefighter and Gotham becomes a more hopeful place. Batman is not a sane crimefighter, he is a twisted person but not corrupted. The reason he becomes a crimefighter is due to the trauma of losing his parents to a criminal.

OG_Guts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes. These heroes who have no qualms breaking the law going after villains instead of leaving it to law enforcement, but have a strict moral code against killing are half assed.

I'm much in-line with the approach of heroes who are against killing unless it's a last resort and that villains like the Joker should be put down.

heroesgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By heroesgold

How a guy like Joker hasn't ever gotten death penalty is beyond me.

And Batman has saved the Joker from death a bunch of times, even though he's probably better of not doing so.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s not an easy question to answer.

For me personally, not unless the situation becomes so dire that nothing else could be done.

But if the situation can be handled properly, I would say no.

prepmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By prepmaster

@heroesgold said:

How a guy like Joker hasn't ever gotten death penalty is beyond me.

And Batman has saved the Joker from death a bunch of times, even though he's probably better of not doing so.

Its comics. In reality, convicted mass murderers get detained for life while in comics, villains escape from jail/asylum. Nevertheless i would say that Batman should be more crime investigation/psychology comics that deals with new criminals instead of old ones over and over again.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: Superman and Batman used to kill villains However, you are left with the problem of constantly inventing new villains for them to fight.

prepmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: Superman and Batman used to kill villains However, you are left with the problem of constantly inventing new villains for them to fight.

Not to mention that some villains are popular so writers have to use them in the most interesting story lines.

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's easy to bring back heroes, easier to bring back villains.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: then there is no point in killing them because you are just going to bring them back.

Joker567892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: then there is no point in killing them because you are just going to bring them back.

Did you miss the point entirely?