Avatar image for don_higashikata
Don_Higashikata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Depends on the writing

If the super-hero doesn't kill but still finds permanent solutions to the villains that threaten him and those he protects, good for him

If the villains break out time and time again, racking up massive kill-counts over and over again... the reader will have a hard time sympathizing with the hero and his struggles. The hero who abstains from killing his main foe will seem self-righteous or even foolish, as opposed to morally superior. It's easier to write a hero who kills than one who doesn't, to be honest.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Depends

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By NewWorldOrder

depends on what they're killing them for.

If you're killing bank robbers and smaller issues you like that, then yes, I see you as an anti-hero. If you're killing characters who have killed, raped, or done anything of that level, then you're simply a hero in my eyes.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By Jgames

Anybody with freaking power that are repeat offender or have done mass murder and keep escaping should be kill in reality. Story wise it depends.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By HeroUp2112

@cramandman said:
@heroup2112 said:

I can see your point, honestly. I'm just saying that it's not hard to take that next step further. Honestly, in a believable world (again realistic doesn't come into play with comics, but believably) the Joker would be locked down so tight in a Federal Super Max he'd never see the light of day, but for the sake of argument let's say he wasn't. Let's say he got out, once...Batman, being the strong willed believer in justice and pathologically against killing (because honestly, maybe fortunately, Batman's code against killing is pretty much a pathology...it's not so much that he WON'T kill, I think it's more like he CAN'T), and The Joker goes on a second killing spree. Batman puts him away and Joker gets out again and goes on a THIRD spree...yeah, Batman's got a hard ass choice to make. Clearly this maniac CAN'T be locked up, the justice system won't execute him (honestly, one of the problems could realistically be that every time Joker kills someone he has to be tried again and sentence before they can execute him...there are ways around this, but this is a common issue. Then again he might even be in a state with no death penalty...anyway), yeah Batman may be left with no choice, or like you said, it could be viewed as he has blood on his hands.

However, this is the kind of situation like I was saying before...this is a last resort situation. Do civilians die or does the bad guy die? It's a little more fuzzy here yeah, but the end decision is more or less the same.

I can see your point, as well. You're reasoning quite clearly. I just think the situation we're talking about is, in some ways, extremely realistic, nevermind believable. For example, take a serial killer or gang member who is arrested for multiple murders, but escapes conviction because of a technicality: a problem with the warrant, a key piece of evidence is lost, a witness backs out of testifying or is murdered. The police know that the individual is guilty and likely to kill again and even more likely to cover his tracks better than he did the first time. He may even brag about all the people he's going to kill or threaten the officer or court officials who tried to prosecute him. It's certainly illegal, but is it morally wrong to kill him?

I mentioned Darkseid before because he represent a totally different kind of moral conundrum. He's more comparable to Osama Bin Laden and North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un or his father Kim Jong-il. Is it morally wrong to kill a foreign Head-of-State we know is planning to attack Earth/US? The only difference between superheroes and the President/Police officer is the authority, we, the people give them to make such decision. Ultimately, the authority differs but the morality of the act is the same!

Good point, but it's not up to a police officer to make that call. Also, who elected Superman to any position? Much less to a head of state? Not necessarily wrong again, but something to think about.

The assassin or bomber pilot sent by the government doesn't make the decision, the official elected by the people does.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless it is a very evil person who will fixes he/she actions, then I'll say no.

CramAndman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cramandman said:

I can see your point, as well. You're reasoning quite clearly. I just think the situation we're talking about is, in some ways, extremely realistic, nevermind believable. For example, take a serial killer or gang member who is arrested for multiple murders, but escapes conviction because of a technicality: a problem with the warrant, a key piece of evidence is lost, a witness backs out of testifying or is murdered. The police know that the individual is guilty and likely to kill again and even more likely to cover his tracks better than he did the first time. He may even brag about all the people he's going to kill or threaten the officer or court officials who tried to prosecute him. It's certainly illegal, but is it morally wrong to kill him?

I mentioned Darkseid before because he represent a totally different kind of moral conundrum. He's more comparable to Osama Bin Laden and North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un or his father Kim Jong-il. Is it morally wrong to kill a foreign Head-of-State we know is planning to attack Earth/US? The only difference between superheroes and the President/Police officer is the authority, we, the people give them to make such decision. Ultimately, the authority differs but the morality of the act is the same!

Good point, but it's not up to a police officer to make that call. Also, who elected Superman to any position? Much less to a head of state? Not necessarily wrong again, but something to think about.

The assassin or bomber pilot sent by the government doesn't make the decision, the official elected by the people does.

So are you arguing that all morality stems from Authority? Or Political Consensus? I'm saying that the hero killing the villain is illegal, as is Vigilantism; however, in either case, Joker or Darkseid, there is a good moral argument for killing such individuals. It's morally right, but legally wrong! As is everything Superheroes do in the world. In the case of Darkseid and Joker, no one else has the ability to track down, intervene, subdue, apprehend or kill the characters in question except Superman and Batman. They're the ones, on scene, who need to make the call, especially since it's not the first, second, or third times these Villains have wreaked havoc upon the world. Is their enough moral justification, without a call to elected officials, to enforce a permanent solution to the problem?

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When it's necessary of course they should the no killing rule doesn't work when the villain is too powerful/evil to be contained they need to be killed sometimes

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:
@cramandman said:

So are you arguing that all morality stems from Authority? Or Political Consensus? I'm saying that the hero killing the villain is illegal, as is Vigilantism; however, in either case, Joker or Darkseid, there is a good moral argument for killing such individuals. It's morally right, but legally wrong! As is everything Superheroes do in the world. In the case of Darkseid and Joker, no one else has the ability to track down, intervene, subdue, apprehend or kill the characters in question except Superman and Batman. They're the ones, on scene, who need to make the call, especially since it's not the first, second, or third times these Villains have wreaked havoc upon the world. Is their enough moral justification, without a call to elected officials, to enforce a permanent solution to the problem?

No, I'm saying there is a big difference in what you said and what we're talking about. Like I said, it might not necessarily be wrong it's just not comparable. Although, looking closer at what you said, we basically agree. you were talking about level of authority, same as I was sssoooo, i wasted both our time. :)

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes they should imagine how much suffering would have been avoided if Batman just killed the joker.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wolverine

CramAndman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Yeah, we're pretty close to agreement. I think we're just stressing different aspects of the same argument. Real World events aren't comparable to fictional Superhero exploits, though I think they press on the same philosophical terrain: What is or isn't a good justification for Murder/Violence? And is it morally right or wrong to kill if the stakes are high enough? I often find DC superheroes, and Marvel to a lesser degree, act and respond to threats in not only an unrealistic, unbelievable way, but a morally irresponsible fashion given the threat at hand, the future threat posed, and their inability to permanently restrain their enemies! Sometimes, I think it represents an unhealthy moral world-view for children, because of how it refuses to acknowledge real-world danger, collateral damage, and morally salient responses to difficult scenarios. It leaves children unprepared for real bullies, real threats, real moral decision-making/choices. Personally, I wouldn't trust Batman to make the right moral choice in a warzone. I would trust Wolverine.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Yeah, we're pretty close to agreement. I think we're just stressing different aspects of the same argument. Real World events aren't comparable to fictional Superhero exploits, though I think they press on the same philosophical terrain: What is or isn't a good justification for Murder/Violence? And is it morally right or wrong to kill if the stakes are high enough? I often find DC superheroes, and Marvel to a lesser degree, act and respond to threats in not only an unrealistic, unbelievable way, but a morally irresponsible fashion given the threat at hand, the future threat posed, and their inability to permanently restrain their enemies! Sometimes, I think it represents an unhealthy moral world-view for children, because of how it refuses to acknowledge real-world danger, collateral damage, and morally salient responses to difficult scenarios. It leaves children unprepared for real bullies, real threats, real moral decision-making/choices. Personally, I wouldn't trust Batman to make the right moral choice in a warzone. I would trust Wolverine.

As far as "real world" lessons, children should be looking to comic books for those lol. They should be looking to parents, guardians, peers, some (hopefully) decently minded older figure, or even clergy. I found (growing up) that comics helped me find out where I stood on more philosophical issues. Yes, what I thought about right or wrong, good or evil, but I never sought to emulate anything I found in a comic. They sort of helped guide me more on general principals. I suppose I gravitated toward heroes and books that were along my same moral and philosophical lines than heroes and books shaped my outlook. If that makes any sense.

lol This sort of reminds me when an old friend though I behaved like I do because she thought I got some of my philosophies from comics when really I liked comics because the ones I liked lined up with (some of) my philosophies...more or less.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends

CramAndman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cramandman said:

As far as "real world" lessons, children should be looking to comic books for those lol. They should be looking to parents, guardians, peers, some (hopefully) decently minded older figure, or even clergy. I found (growing up) that comics helped me find out where I stood on more philosophical issues. Yes, what I thought about right or wrong, good or evil, but I never sought to emulate anything I found in a comic. They sort of helped guide me more on general principals. I suppose I gravitated toward heroes and books that were along my same moral and philosophical lines than heroes and books shaped my outlook. If that makes any sense.

lol This sort of reminds me when an old friend though I behaved like I do because she thought I got some of my philosophies from comics when really I liked comics because the ones I liked lined up with (some of) my philosophies...more or less.

Many children, myself included, don't have sufficient moral guidance from parents, peers, teachers or religious institutions and are forced to learn the hard way through experience or through learning from fictional and non-fictional sources. In any case, I definitely think fiction is instructional but I'm not saying comics are the totality of moral instruction for children, many children don't even read comics. Comics or stories, generally speaking, are many children's first step into the larger world of understanding complex social and philosophical issues. They should challenge simplistic notions of good and evil, right and wrong, which comics often don't, but the best ones definitely do! As you say, they helped guide you to more general principals, which can be very important if you're only other guidance is drunk, abusive, violent or otherwise absent. Also, I think it's difficult to determine whether children gravitate towards books/ideas or if books/ideas shape a child's interest. Like many things, it's a bit of both. It's nature and nurture. It's education and predilection. For instance, if you had never heard of the notion of god, let alone the specifics, it's almost impossible for you to believe in him/it. Conversely, there are also plenty of people who practice a religion because they have been raised in it and don't actually believe in it. Of course, at a certain age, you become more aware and responsible for what you are consuming and believing. For me, I don't believe and science doesn't support the notion of conventional Free will. In a sense, all we are is the result of causality: a combination of genes, memes, and timing. The worst humans are born with an unhealthy combination of bad genes, bad memes and bad timing. The best are born with good combinations. In short, I think the stories you tell your children, the memes they consume and continue to consume, are extremely important, in fact the most important, because it's the only thing we have any real control over!

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By HeroUp2112

@cramandman said:
@heroup2112 said:
@cramandman said:

Many children, myself included, don't have sufficient moral guidance from parents, peers, teachers or religious institutions and are forced to learn the hard way through experience or through learning from fictional and non-fictional sources. In any case, I definitely think fiction is instructional but I'm not saying comics are the totality of moral instruction for children, many children don't even read comics. Comics or stories, generally speaking, are many children's first step into the larger world of understanding complex social and philosophical issues. They should challenge simplistic notions of good and evil, right and wrong, which comics often don't, but the best ones definitely do! As you say, they helped guide you to more general principals, which can be very important if you're only other guidance is drunk, abusive, violent or otherwise absent. Also, I think it's difficult to determine whether children gravitate towards books/ideas or if books/ideas shape a child's interest. Like many things, it's a bit of both. It's nature and nurture. It's education and predilection. For instance, if you had never heard of the notion of god, let alone the specifics, it's almost impossible for you to believe in him/it. Conversely, there are also plenty of people who practice a religion because they have been raised in it and don't actually believe in it. Of course, at a certain age, you become more aware and responsible for what you are consuming and believing. For me, I don't believe and science doesn't support the notion of conventional Free will. In a sense, all we are is the result of causality: a combination of genes, memes, and timing. The worst humans are born with an unhealthy combination of bad genes, bad memes and bad timing. The best are born with good combinations. In short, I think the stories you tell your children, the memes they consume and continue to consume, are extremely important, in fact the most important, because it's the only thing we have any real control over!

Very good points. What do you mean by memes though? Do you mean memes you see on the internet? If so this is a new realm for me (as far as garnering life lessons). My younger son has used terms like "that's very memeable". I'm seriously wondering. I thought memes were just funny or cute little internet jokes or sayings. Are you telling me they're learning tools now? Or at least considered influential to kids?

CramAndman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very good points. What do you mean by memes though? Do you mean memes you see on the internet? If so this is a new realm for me (as far as garnering life lessons). My younger son has used terms like "that's very memeable". I'm seriously wondering. I thought memes were just funny or cute little internet jokes or sayings. Are you telling me they're learning tools now? Or at least considered influential to kids?

Meme is a term coined by Biologist Richard Dawkins in his book The Selfish Gene in 1976 and generally means an idea. More specifically it's "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Meme theory regards memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures. Religion is a meme like Capitalism is a meme and so on....

The term meme has been appropriated/mutated itself by culture to represent funny/cute/short internet jokes/videos/sayings, but it's academic foundation and utility extends to any thought or idea. All you are is a collection of genes and memes that shift based on selective, environmental pressures/timing. In a deep sense, Causality is King and we're just pawns, passengers along for the ride.

Psychopaths are a good example of how causality shapes human beings. Based on scientific research, psychopaths are forged 60-70% by their "bad" genes, meaning their lack of empathy, guilt, and conscience is mostly biologically pre-programmed. However, the other 30-40% is a result of "bad" memes/ideas and bad timing/circumstance. Upper-class and Middle-class psychopaths are less likely to engage in violent crimes or impulsive physical acts and are more likely to engage in cruel social behavior pathological lying/manipulation(boss from hell) or white-collar financial crimes. They stand a better chance of being taught healthier ideas like restraint, morality based on authority, and thus prefer manipulation/coercion to violence. They also have different opportunities to apply their skills in a more civilized setting and so they can get what they want without killing. Of course, this doesn't mean that all serial killers come from lower class/broken families, or that middle-class psychopaths are never violent. They are perfectly capable of resorting to violence if the situation/timing/circumstance is right or sufficiently benefits them.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cramandman:

Pretty freaking cool. I love learning new information. Thanks!

CramAndman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cramandman:

Anytime! I mostly live to learn new information! It's pretty much my favorite thing!

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:

@cramandman:

Anytime! I mostly live to learn new information! It's pretty much my favorite thing!

Likewise, though I admit I'm mostly into history these days, still new information is always a good thing.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If necessary. But nothings wrong with them delivering the criminal to the courts for the death penalty.

CramAndman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cramandman said:
@heroup2112 said:

@cramandman:

Likewise, though I admit I'm mostly into history these days, still new information is always a good thing.

These days, I'm mostly interested in looking at History through the scientific lens of environment, rather than a cultural or sociological one. Have you read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies, A short history of everybody for the last 13,000 years. It's extremely instructive and argues that gaps in power and technology between human societies originate primarily in environmental differences, rather than cultural or genetic differences. Advantages in technology, written language, resistance to disease occur because of the influence of geography/resources that allow certain cultures to become founts for science, economics, trade at different periods of time. It's one hell of a read and explains all of the hidden causal factors that influence War, Politics, and Economics. It sheds light on the many Invisible causal hands that guide, shape, and mold how we interact with one another.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By HeroUp2112

@heroup2112 said:
@cramandman said:
@heroup2112 said:

@cramandman:

These days, I'm mostly interested in looking at History through the scientific lens of environment, rather than a cultural or sociological one. Have you read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies, A short history of everybody for the last 13,000 years. It's extremely instructive and argues that gaps in power and technology between human societies originate primarily in environmental differences, rather than cultural or genetic differences. Advantages in technology, written language, resistance to disease occur because of the influence of geography/resources that allow certain cultures to become founts for science, economics, trade at different periods of time. It's one hell of a read and explains all of the hidden causal factors that influence War, Politics, and Economics. It sheds light on the many Invisible causal hands that guide, shape, and mold how we interact with one another.

I haven't read THAT book, but I've read books and articles along those lines yes, and I find them very interesting. There are a lot of factors that effect how history progresses and forces that shape the world, the people, and events that have shaped it.

RedRiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends on what they're killing them for.

If you're killing bank robbers and smaller issues you like that, then yes, I see you as an anti-hero. If you're killing characters who have killed, raped, or done anything of that level, then you're simply a hero in my eyes.

Ghetsiscmcvne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Ghetsiscmcvne

Definitely. Some are too dangerous too kept alive. Try containing someone like the Joker and see how that turns out.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends, you aren't a hero to me if you go around killing people who have just stolen some lady's purse.But if you're killing someone who is destroying civilizations/races/ or planets then to me yeah.

sladerulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killing within reason.

The joker should be dead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6
deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a good superhero should know when to kill and when to show mercy.

Shadow411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends, they shouldn't kill someone for stealing a purse or something of that effect. But someone like Zod, Darkseid, Red Hulk, etc. that kills ppl and is WAY to powerful for humans to deal with such as (Make a prison strong enough to hold them or stop them if they go on a murder rampage again), then yes they should be killed. Honestly, what the heck are humans gonna do if Supes is on another planet and Zod/Darkseid break out of a human prison??

Avatar image for passingthroughv2
passingthroughv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killing within reason.

The joker should be dead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b728068f211c
deactivated-5b728068f211c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes , depending on the situation tho

BlindingLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on the characters. Generally I would say they should use it as a last resort.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite hero is Kratos and he never kills he just puts people to sleep

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes within reason

Avatar image for deactivated-5ce207d94eaaa
deactivated-5ce207d94eaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

idc who you're when you pose such a huge threat to society don't be surprised when i put a bullet through your head

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really depends on the hero and their ideals.

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ideally, only when it is absolutely necessary and when all diplomacy has failed. But every superhero is different.

BBASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not? well if they kill the villians , there won't be any comics to read

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Just look at how real life law enforcement look at reasonable force. If the safest solution is to kill the bad guy, then kill the bad guy.

SLiMmcl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we talking about in a logical way (like if DC and Marvel were real or something like that)

Then depends on the crime.

Like Catwoman or somebody like that who is a theif (If they don't kill anybody in the proccess) Then no.

If its somebody like the Joker (Kills countless people) Then Yes Kill the twisted bastard.