Should James Gunn lead the World of DC

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should James Gunn lead the World of DC (40 votes)

Yes 38%
No 63%

Just as the title says, do you think James Gunn should take a position of leadership at the World of DC if he decides to direct Suicide Squad 2, and it's a hit? Controversy aside, Gunn has worked directly under Feige; the architect of the MCU, and has turned the Guardians from nobodies into household names with two successful films. He was even rumored before his firing to be the guy to map out the MCU cosmic movies. He also has a big following among geek culture and just announcing him as a potential director for SS 2 has already made headlines. Would this be a good fit for DC, or does he simply not fit in with their mold? Or is his reputation too tarnished to be the face of such a big movie division?

• 
kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be okay with this. Give the guy some freedom and support and let's see what happens.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lets see how he does with Suicide Squad 2 first.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, what kind of dumb question is this??

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. You need a mastermind to head up DC. Someone as good as Kevin Feige if they exist.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope

@amcu said:

No. You need a mastermind to head up DC. Someone as good as Kevin Feige if they exist.

yup

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Suicide Squad 2, maybe. Until then, I don't think we have enough to go off.

SuperHulk24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hamada is leading right now.

Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should a guy who has made 1 good movie his whole career head DC?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He really couldn't do any worse than they're doing right now.

Avatar image for xmangog__beastx
xMangog__Beastx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Just no.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

No.

He is a good director, he has an interesting take on stories and etc. but I don't think that anyone should leave a whole universe in his hands.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No. Just because he directed one great superhero movie (I still maintain that Vol. 2 wasn't good), that doesn't make him fit to lead an entire cinematic universe.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, he's more of a niche team guy rather than a universe architect.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Just because he directed one great superhero movie (I still maintain that Vol. 2 wasn't good), that doesn't make him fit to lead an entire cinematic universe.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No...

The_Badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously not. There is a difference between a director and a producer. Making one good film doesn't mean you can lead an entire franchise which spans several genres.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superhulk24: I meant working with Hamada actually. That was my fault for not specifying. James isn't a producer like Hamada or Kathleen Kennedy are, he's more like Zack Snyder in that he's a creator. What makes Feige such a beast is that he's mastered both aspects with the MCU, he can map out a universe and overarching story while staying within the confines of the business aspect of it that makes shareholders happy. By leadership, I meant James mapping out the direction of the films, steering them in a direction, the way Feige was, leading up to Thanos. Snyder tried to do that where was at the head, but after BvS, the studio seemed to lose faith in his vision. But Hamada would still be there in this scenario controlling things on a business end.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benjamin_poindexter: Pretty much this. DC has been in full reactionary mode since BvS, and arguably since MoS too be honest. They have a slew of movies announced, most of which will likely never get past pre production, and are just hoping for something to stick. Who exactly do they have right now that's actively trying to steer the movies in a focused direction storytelling wise? For all my complaints about Snyder, he was at least trying before the studio started breathing down his neck. And they tried to position Geoff Johns in the role of architecting the movies, but bailed on that as soon as Justice League flopped. And it goes back to WB being completely reactionary. I actually think having Hamada as the producer leading the helm was a good call. He did well with the Conjuring franchise, but when you have a producer who lacks someone who can direct and oversee the storytelling of the films, you get a Star Wars situation with Kathleen Kennedy. My argument for James is that he's at least been in an environment where everything was in sync, and was even being groomed to oversee more of the cosmic movies of the MCU, compared to DC now where they seem to have no story or direction in place for their films. Something is better than nothing. But I also acknowledge that his reputation is a very real factor here, as most families might not want him associated with a brand like this.

SLiMmcl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vertigo- said:

Lets see how he does with Suicide Squad 2 first.

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gokluma

No just no. This guy add too much cringe humor in guardians of galaxy vol 2 and i don't want to see Aquaman nor Wonder woman with drax's type of personality at all.