• 82 results
#51 Edited by Yassassin (7701 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Comics, specifically super hero comics, have always been liberal propaganda to be honest.

Yeah but at least then they speaking on actual issues. Now, it's like 20 pages of Hellcat talking about the evils of "manplaining", spreading, misusing pronouns, or whatever bullshit CIS scum does. That's certainly worth 4 bucks.

God, we need a freaking draft.

#52 Posted by cattlebattle (17729 posts) - - Show Bio

@tvc-15 said:

Yeah but at least then they speaking on actual issues. Now, it's like 20 pages of Hellcat talking about the evils of "manplaining", spreading, misusing pronouns, or whatever bullshit CIS scum does. That's certainly worth 4 bucks.

God, we need a freaking draft.

LOL, yeah. Marvel has been extremely over board with the far left, SJW nonsense currently, but they do it purposefully so it will generate buzz on the internet and hardcore liberal click bait websites can feel morally validated by praising it and calling anyone that doesn't like it "racist, sexist *insert word*phobic" or whatever.

They know what they are doing.

#53 Posted by Yassassin (7701 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Well, it's starting not to work anymore, so who knows, maybe they'll cut that shit out.

#54 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainmarvel4ever: I think it's a bit more complex than that. The heroes developed because it was natural,with new writers wanting to push limits and show the growth of these people into "real" characters. Not to mention the idea that the fan base also got older. And Pokémon isn't that well made. The series is met at best and up until recently, the main games have been the same. It's just fun.

Anywho, I liked BvS. I think it was a cool take on these characters. But that's clearly divisive. With that said, while it is extreme, I don't think BvS is something you couldn't show most people. And as you said, there are plenty of shows and even books for younger people.

As for not being able to walk into a gas station and buy a comic, there's nothing stopping them and that's not even a huge loss.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#55 Posted by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

I think comics should be whatever they want. Over the years both the big two companies have taken stances on civil rights issues and other things and regardless of what we think, it has had an effect. Superman denouncing the KKK back in a time where that organisation had actual power. Mutants in Marvel representing minorities. Hell, even Marvel's new diversity push, even though it's universally hated online, is still a good thing. I didn't like losing Thor but I can understand why he's been replaced and I know he'll get the hammer back. Sam Wilson taking Captain America's mantle was also another thing I could get behind. A Muslim Ms Marvel was a great move to reminding people that Muslims are normal people like everyone else. Hell, comics have always been political, look at the backgrounds of characters like Superman, a immigrant who comes to a foreign planet. It truly astonishes me that xenophobic, racist, homophobic and sexist behavior all still exist when we have icons that we love who represent rights for all. At a time when we all should be united as humans we're still divided by pointless misgivings be it someone's sex, skin color or personal beliefs. Characters like Captain America, Superman and others fight for everyone so why can't we embrace that.

#56 Edited by Jgames (8191 posts) - - Show Bio

Entertainment can be more than just a place to escape. To said that a medium is just for entertainment, is to devalue that medium. I mean I love to escape from reality, but comics, tv, movies etc can also make me accept reality a bit more or see it in a different light.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
#57 Posted by Dextersinister1 (1257 posts) - - Show Bio

@dextersinister1: What about Civil War? That was a clear metaphor for gun control, and clearly biased towards the pro-gun stance.

If it was that wasn't intentional, according to the writers the intent was for Tony to be in the right.

and on the media narrative, first article I came to discussing it calls it a FAR right fantasy.

This isn't the first time they've messed up there intent. AvsX was suppose to be mainly about the Avengers being in the right, bigging up the Avengers (the one's they have the movie rights for) at the expense of the X-Men. You can see this in how heavy handed the X-Men suddenly became in the main title but the Uncanny Issue's where so good that this ended up backfiring.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for dextersinister1
#58 Posted by Dextersinister1 (1257 posts) - - Show Bio

@tvc-15 said:

@cattlebattle: Well, it's starting not to work anymore, so who knows, maybe they'll cut that shit out.

Not a chance. The comics aren't about comic sales anymore. They use the comics to push every American facebook liberal talking point under the sun so they can deflect criticism from the real money makers, the movies.

If the Ghostbusters marketing campaign showed anything the western male can be just shouted down and shamed, they only watch themselves when it comes to the foreign markets.

#59 Posted by Reignmaker (2484 posts) - - Show Bio
#60 Posted by King_Krown (1241 posts) - - Show Bio

They already are to a degree, and that's fine granted it's done right. but the PC-Culture/Current events crap Marvel is currently doing in Comics?No. It's so tasteless and hamfisted. Like the early Jane-Thor issues. DC even has little political moments here and there. It seems SOME comic book writers apparently aren't the ones to be talking about it as they have strong biases.

#61 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

For the most part they always have been, some more subtle about it than others.

#62 Posted by Anna_Karenina (4510 posts) - - Show Bio

The arts have always been political. I don't see why it would have to any different with comics.

#63 Posted by devitciiu (688 posts) - - Show Bio
@mrmonster said:

@dextersinister1: What about Civil War? That was a clear metaphor for gun control, and clearly biased towards the pro-gun stance.

If it was that wasn't intentional, according to the writers the intent was for Tony to be in the right.

and on the media narrative, first article I came to discussing it calls it a FAR right fantasy.

It's interesting to look at Civil War as a commentary on firearm registration, but that wasn't really a popular talking point about the series at the time it was being released (though I definitely see how analogous it is).

The series delves deeply into issues of privacy, surveillance, authoritarianism, and the war on terror. At the time I remember it being described as a discussion on eroding individual rights in favor of security in post-9/11 America. It seemed to represent the divide between Republicans and Democrats when it came to Bush's administration and things like the Patriot Act.

#64 Edited by SirZero (413 posts) - - Show Bio

@gymbro said:

There's nothing I love more than opening a comic book and seeing the cuck writer shove pro feminist propaganda down my throat

"Wow,sarcasm,that's original"

#65 Edited by Gymbro (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@sirzero said:
@gymbro said:

There's nothing I love more than opening a comic book and seeing the cuck writer shove pro feminist propaganda down my throat

Lol the irony here

#66 Posted by SirZero (413 posts) - - Show Bio

@gymbro said:
@sirzero said:
@gymbro said:

Lol the irony here

The irony is kinda THE POINT.

#67 Posted by Gymbro (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@sirzero said:
@gymbro said:
@sirzero said:
@gymbro said:

Lol the irony here

The irony is kinda THE POINT.

Oh I see, well in any case I don't care about being original here...so...

#68 Posted by Batvibe12 (5720 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want good comic book stories.

Sam Wilson as Captain America is actually good but his series isn't everything. I want to see Sam make his own Captain America Initiative or have a plot twist that his bird, Redwing, has a family of his own (that's actually weird), or make Sam a mutant!

Comics could be political, but not too political. I want to see the fun side of Marvel again when you have teenage heroes having a big party or the adult superheroes having a change in their life. DC is doing amazing with rebirth, I hope Marvel does the same thing.

#69 Posted by darkhunter89 (1607 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I don't want SJWs ramming down their hardcore feminism and super anti capitalism down my throat.

#70 Posted by silkyballfro94 (8685 posts) - - Show Bio

Should comics be political? Sure, just not ALL comics. Not everything has to be political or push a certain agenda. It's fine if a writer or company wants to include politics or a message in a story. That's completely up to them. However depending on how it's done, they run the risk of alienating their readers or fan base. People will decide whether they like or can handle what they're reading with their wallets.

#71 Posted by just_sayin (3467 posts) - - Show Bio

In the 1940's the Superman radio program took on the KKK. There is a long history of comic characters entering into the realm of political actions. I have no problem with it.

#72 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

Creator-owned comics are fair game, but mainstream comics should avoid political issues.

When I pick up an issue of Superman or Spider-Man, I want to be entertained not preached to. I find nowadays when writers try to shoehorn politics into superhero stories (especially if it is random and pandering like the gay Iceman thing), it generally comes off as disrespectful to the characters and readers.

Very few writers in history are able to weave political commentary into their stories without it seeming forced or annoying, but none of the current people working in the comic industry have such skill. Look to any of the 'progressive' comics Marvel is putting out now and you'll see that there is absolutely no subtlety; they are basically smashing you in the head with the literary equivalent of a sledgehammer.

Add to all that, the current political stories are going to age very very badly.

#73 Posted by HellSaint (305 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything is fine if the writing is good and the comic is entertaining.

A message (in a comic), no matter how noble is lost when the writing. Comics are an escape, while they can still be important they should never attempt to go out of their range. If they aren't set to entertain there is no reason to read them, you may as well go out and ask a random person to just tell you what their political leanings are and you'd get just as much out of it.
Messages are lost when things are terribly eecuted, and I don't give points for the message.
Tact is normally important as well, if they just come out and shout at you then the comics become dated. They don't generally hold any weight and are hardly worth holding onto. They just become dated almost instantly.

Its hard yes, but that's no excuse for literally no effort on the front of either writing, or entertainment.
If the writings not good and not entertaining then what is the point of the comic?

#74 Edited by Itachus17 (3504 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: Of course should they be political(they should be actually everything they want), why the hell should i agree to censorship in comics?

#75 Posted by stationboxz (40 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see why not. Characters like Green Arrow, Superman, and even Deathstroke can set up some amazing political stories.

but WTF?

http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11127/111279141/5232174-1026399205-XUymu.jpg

http://static4.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111134695/5533467-0772247145-HailH.jpg

Marvel reads kind of stupid now

#76 Posted by JasonHawke (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.... No???

Like it can make for interesting stories but.... I dont know.

#77 Posted by PayneInTheAss (11779 posts) - - Show Bio

@revive said:

Some of them. Comics should be able to tackle all obstacles, just like novels and television.

#78 Posted by Hatutzeraze (559 posts) - - Show Bio

@righteous300 said:

I don't see why not. Characters like Green Arrow, Superman, and even Deathstroke can set up some amazing political stories.

but WTF?

Marvel reads kind of stupid now

I'm not sure I am seeing what is wrong with that Red Skull page. That sounds exactly like what a Nazi super-villain would say to try to recruit followers. If it sends a chill down your spine, it is supposed to because he is the villain.

#79 Posted by Ryagan (5193 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course. Comic book characters are open to many different interpretations and influences by different writers and artists. That includes politics.

#80 Edited by LEGACY6364 (7441 posts) - - Show Bio

Though comics are an influential part of American culture, their existence was produced by political propaganda.

Avatar image for ultra_supermanking
#81 Posted by Ultra_SupermanKing (1748 posts) - - Show Bio

Story/Character Development>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Political Dogma

#82 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe if it wasnt anti-logic left wing cucks promoting all their BS