Should Avengers: Endgame be studied in film courses?

• 78 results
modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should Avengers: Endgame be studied in film courses? (107 votes)

Yes 36%
No 64%

It's not uncommon to hear about The Dark Knight being talked about in film courses, so should Endgame be used as well?

No Caption Provided

• 
DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. If not the movie then the MCU itself.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

LOL maybe as what not to do, bringing up and dropping storylines and not including foreshadowing are bad film techniques

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

I mean, it's not exactly a deep movie with strong underlying symbolism.

It's a fun movie and pretty well made in terms of being a endsong for the first phase of the MCU, but there's nothing.....really there, if you catch my drift.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mcu as a whole: yes

Endgame by itself: Hell no

ElioFoudroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Endgame was just pure fan service. From a cinematographic point of view there's nothing really interesting. So no

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not uncommon to hear about The Dark Knight being talked about in film courses, so should Endgame be used as well?

Really? And what do they study about it exactly?

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The movie isnt even that good

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mimisalome

Endgame is not even on the level of Back to the Future movies, or Groundhog Day, or Edge of Tomorrow in terms of creativity (if you consider how it utilizes the time travel theme). I would even say Bill and Ted Excellent Adventure is better and much more fun.

Without the build up from the previous MCU films, it is pretty mediocre as a stand alone movie.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what purpose?

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAZAHS117

Nah. I mean Thanos and his beliefs/quest can certainly bring about good debate, but nothing else about the film warrants any further dissection as far as I’m concerned.

TheParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol at the idea that the MCU should be studied in film courses.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Penguin-Dust

As a creative film, no but as the cap to the greater MCU as a marketing achievement in a film business course, absolutely. Filmmaking is not just an art, it's also a business and sometimes I think we forget that especially when we talk about movies we like and don't like.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Really? And what do they study about it exactly?

Back in college, it was brought up in two of my film and video editing classes. All I remember was that both times, it was the Joker interrogation scene that was used.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of artistic merit? It would be laughable. But as a blockbuster and commercial phenomenon? Maybe.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have said, only as part of a wider MCU study.

DatStupidGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not Endgame, but maybe the MCU as a whole.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Endgame? No.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, I don't think so. It may come as a surprise, but Batman v Superman is frequently studied in film courses, despite how it was received by the public.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. And neither should the MCU as a whole. If anything, Kevin Fiege and Marvels business acumen should be studied.

@lan_fan said:

No, I don't think so. It may come as a surprise, but Batman v Superman is frequently studied in film courses, despite how it was received by the public.

Really? I know MoS is used in film course, but I didn't know about BvS. That's hilarious.

Avatar image for supermanfan1938
Supermanfan1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Supermanfan1938

No. It's a popcorn flick, nothing much to study about. Hulk looks so dumb in that pic

imsososorry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By imsososorry

No but Infinity War should

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a
deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but the MCU as a whole should be, it's a great example of how to build a successful cinematic universe.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 anthp2000  Moderator

No.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I mean, any movie can be studied in film-courses. Every movie is worth something, good or bad. Even The Room can be studied in an exercise of how not to edit a movie.

DannyPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, and why are people saying the MCU as a whole?? Not really much to study there from a film perspective, idk how many of y’all go to school but they aren’t just like “oh look a cinematic universe let’s study it” lol

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28 krisbishop  Moderator

For its CGI, sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, any movie can be studied in film-courses. Every movie is worth something, good or bad. Even The Room can be studied in an exercise of how not to edit a movie.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no , the only superhero films ive ever talked about in film class are The Dark Knight , Watchmen & BvS & the avengers 1 , MCU doesnt present any complex things in their films

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU as a whole, why not?

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

MCU is geared towards children and families its not complex at all in any way especially Endgame which is fan service

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RBT

@marvelanddcfan24 said:

MCU is geared towards children and families its not complex at all in any way especially Endgame which is fan service

If its not complex at all, then how come literally not a single other studio has been able to achieve the feat on big screen?

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: thats irrelevant just because something is popular doesn't make it some intellectual marvel the MCU built its universe on simple, generic, formulaic movies

The MCU is simple to uunderstand maybe for you its not but for everfay people the MCU shouldnt be seen in a film courses

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: thats irrelevant just because something is popular doesn't make it some intellectual marvel the MCU built its universe on simple, generic, formulaic movies

The MCU is simple to uunderstand maybe for you its not but for everfay people the MCU shouldnt be seen in a film courses

If it was really that simple to understand, there wouldn't be so many failed attempts at building a shared universe. I'm sure there are smarter people than you and I in WB, Universal and all the other studios who tried to replicate what Marvel and Disney did. And failed.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:
@marvelanddcfan24 said:

If its not complex at all, then how come literally not a single other studio has been able to achieve the feat on big screen?

Failure to replicate does not automatically imply complexity. If we play HORSE, and I hit a free throw that you fail to make yourself, does that make it complicated? Or did you just miss?

There's nothing complicated about what the MCU did.

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: they wanted a shared universe but how DCEU and Marvel films are constructed they couldn't be more different this is a film course not a buisness course DCEU and MCU films are very different

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes more sense. At face value, if Endgame was an unconnected movie it would be basic. It's how Feige was able to connect everything that should be studied.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RBT

@buttersdaman000:

Failure to replicate does not automatically imply complexity. If we play HORSE, and I hit a free throw that you fail to make yourself, does that make it complicated? Or did you just miss?

I have never played horse, so I can't say.

Eh. Complicated might be a wrong word. Unprecedented more like it, IMO.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

@buttersdaman000:

I have never played horse, so I can't say.

Eh. Complicated might be a wrong word. Unprecedented more like it, IMO.

Well, it's not complicated lol

Yeah, I agree with unprecedented

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dasalvadore said:

This makes more sense. At face value, if Endgame was an unconnected movie it would be basic. It's how Feige was able to connect everything that should be studied.

Both Endgame and Infinity War are average popcorn blockbusters at best if looked at in a vacuum. The reason why I get annoyed when people rate them as such by doing exactly that is that the MCU has made it so that you can't do so and still review/rate the movies fairly.

The MCU is such an interconnected beast that it's grown to where everything feeds off the other. The passionate and heartbreaking rant from Tony in Endgame once he gets back to Earth can't happen that way without the breakup and letter from Cap in Civil War and both don't make as much sense nor have the same weight if not for Ultron which is emotionally driven by both Avengers and Iron Man 3.

And this goes both ways too. I think Captain Marvel was a really enjoyable solid flick that was the third-best intro film for a hero in the MCU behind Black Panther and Iron Man. The problem is it's still a bog-standard hero flick that fits in Phase 1 more than Phase 3 when it came out which means it's just "okay" when linked to everything around it.

For good or ill, every new MCU movie is judged as part of the MCU rather than as a standalone experience (or they should be) and for that alone, the MCU deserves to be spoken about in film courses.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

@marvelanddcfan24 said:

If it was really that simple to understand, there wouldn't be so many failed attempts at building a shared universe. I'm sure there are smarter people than you and I in WB, Universal and all the other studios who tried to replicate what Marvel and Disney did. And failed.

Marvel already have a comprehensive and established material to worked with.

Various heroes with their own storyline and major cross-over events already laid out for them.

You can say that DC have it too, but it's pretty obvious they didn't plan a "cinematic universe".

They borrowed their full-length animation formula of standalone films focusing on major DC events.

And when they realized the success of MCU they started to copy the model, but the foundation of their franchise aint as rock solid as MCU.

Others who attempted a "cinematic universe" either must begin from scratch or they don't have as much material as Marvel Comics have.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 killbilly  Moderator

Sure. More for the psychology behind why it was such a huge success but yeah, why not?

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

As someone else said. The MCU as a whole is a yes, none of the movies by themselves even the best among them should be studied at least not by themselves.

Unless were talking motion capture on rocket and stuff like that only the MCU as a whole should be studied

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe to see how to properly wrap a story spanning multiple films? But then you might as well study the whole MCU lol

Beyond_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not when Infinity War was a much better movie

Avatar image for onlyoneempereor
OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OnlyOneEmpereor

@beyond_dreams said:

Not when Infinity War was a much better movie

Avengers: Endgame isn't an artistic movie but an average movie in my opinion. The stakes don't feel high like IW, the portyral of Hulk,Thor and Iron-Man aren't great compared to IW and the time travel logic was pretty bad and filled with plot holes, compared to Back To The Future's time travel logic , that logic at least made a lot more sense than Endgame!

So no, i don't think it should be studied.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes.

Topic should be on how to not make a movie.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cocacolaman  Moderator

The MCU as a whole should be.