Should Airbending have Soundbending as one of their specialize bending?

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Airbending has potential to be very powerful, I know the logistics of how Airbenders Bend, the cultural inspiration,

and the nature of their chi and how it interacts with air. My idea was set as a child, like anyone else and thought that

the application of Soundbending would fit the verse perfectly given that Legend of Korra has revived the Airbenders back to

glory, giving opportunities of exploring some of the lost arts of Airbending, We might even enter territories of illusion

creations, but let's not get carried away yet.

Something to establish is that Air Bending is a contrast to Firebending in its purest form, it is all about being defensive

rather offensive, being swift instead of powerful, evading, and than directly attacking. Redirecting and avoiding one

instead of clashing out right unlike Earth or Fire. Air represents freedom, flexibility, and spirituality. Being detached by

earthly tethers is key for honing in your Air Bending skills-

-To master Airbending you must find the path with the least resistance.

And with all that said, here are my ideas;

Specialized bendings for every elements that don't particular have in common to the element it is under, Blood bending

does not move like your traditional Water Bender, it's more like puppetry controlling the body that the water is inside.

Lightning bending has a long set up which is more like Water or Airbending with circular motions to generate lightning.

Metal bending specifically liquid metal bending is just like water bending, bending arts and motions depends on the

state of the element, as metal bend in its refine state does not require as stoic of motions as traditional metal bending.

I can go on, but you get the picture. Toph had to relearn her approach with metalbending and had developed a new style,

of that or new age metal bending as she is the founder of it.

Soundbending would also have to take a different approach in motions as well as it isn't using the air as is, but turning the

air into an instrumental, a tool, and using it for something else, sacrificing spirituality for more techniques. Air bending does

have a history of amplifying sounds, though not distorting it as seen with the Air Nomads horns.

Instead of trying to follow the paths with the least resistance, a airbender will have to instead change paths back and fourth,

while traveling at the same pace much like a traditional airbender, at a rapid succession to create vibration in the air.

This will not be a easy task, and the airbender will begin to rely on a source much like Water and Earth, but will still have

easy accessibility like Fire and Air which is sound it self. There are a numerous approach to how this can be done.

1. When you swing a stick fast enough it creates air is compressed and begin moving, pressure waves from that will produce

an audible frequency, this should be done with traditional airbending as they can produce the same effects so using a

specialized whip that can be enhanced with airbending can allow for this type of soundbending. This can be done to

produce sounds and bend it to be louder, quieter, or sound like something else. There's also an applications that is entirely

offensive which I know you know where I'm going at with this but I'll get to much later.

No Caption Provided

2. Another approach would be my favorite; Using one's voice or sounding as the source to their soundbending,

this means as long as you're able to speak, scream, yell or even whisper, you can bend your or other sounds, all

you need to do is bend the frequency and pitch of your sound, this can have huge amplification of espionage,

art, and entertainment uses.

You can sound like an enemy and trick anyone thinking you're that person, that is if you're concealing your true

identity. This is so far from being detached by earthly concerns it's not even funny, but it makes sense why, that this

type of Airbending is different from the traditions, you become more free to do everything and change your paths

build who you are and focus on yourself, trying to not be bother by the spiritual balance too much that you have

to be so concerned about it, while still being free to do what you want to do.

Soundbending is a always interesting always new, explore and change your destiny. This would be a more rebellious

from the traditional much like how modernization also affects traditional society. Thinking about it, it would be cool

honing their abilities for music, plays, and drama, while losing their traditional airbending skills that can excel in

defensive combat.

But don't worry, it's not always as black and white, not every Airbender have to discard their spirituality for sound

bending, actually it's quite the opposite, remember how I said Soundbending would have to represent many paths?

3. There will be those who would want to conserve traditional spiritualization of Airbending and follow the path of

the ancient ways, soundbending would have to be new, but the practitioner can always keep the air nomads

tradition alive and well. which is another approach.

A traditional Airbender who soundbend can still exist, in many forms actually, one of which can use their sound

bending to tap deeper into the spiritual world while using certain sounds while meditating. I think if Soundbending

was founded earlier the Air nomads would incorporate soundbending for more meditational uses only and spiritual

healing.

4. The final approach is a different beast altogether, with the skills and mindset, there can be Sound generation.

instead of amplifying your own sound, or using other things sound you. you create your own source through

purely airbending.

But it's not so simple at all. An Airbender first skill will have to cause air to vibrate not create gust of wind,

not move it but cause it to vibrate. Remember instead of create whirling motions, you have to have a rhythmtic

motion to achieve that, meaning the motions will be even more different, instead of dancing-like motion which

incorporate some airbending motions, voluntarily convulse of the limbs. This is will likely need the practitioner to

clash with the existing air current by simply not moving even further, furthering earthing themselves even more

detaching them from traditional airbending into something strange and unusual. I think the one above is more

plausible personally but I've seen a lot of original ideas taking from this as well. Just want to add this one here.

Many has made the common flaw, is that concussive sound bending will not be likely with this approach.

You might be able to achieve absolute silence granting you a stealth boost causing air to vibrate in a way to

reduce audibility even further.

Going back to the first approach: If you want true offensive Soundbending and you'll need to create a shockwave

the easiest approach to this is by mixing your airbending, you weapon and the sound you're bending to do

shockwave generation. This too is furthest from the traditions and would be frown upon, though I can see a nation

of rogue Airbenders being a thing, much like Zaofu but even more military base. There are real life examples of

produce shockwaves with a whip crack, two steel balls, or an explosion.

An Airbender might be able to enhance the force of the shockwave or sonicboom creating a bigger blast.

it would be interesting to see an Airbender using soundbend to enhance whips to create explosive blasts

I don't think with the current rule it's possible to create shockwaves with just air bending at the moment

unless somehow Soundbending is a lot "easier" than what I'm describing, and even though it's "easy"

like airbending with sound...... yeah no. I think an instrumental would be require, and if not you won't be

able to produce as strong as a sound, you're better off using sound in the surrounding. the 3rd approach

is also nice, although small might have huge implications allow for more spiritualization.

What do you think do you think Airbending should have a sub-element? All it has now, is flight, astral-projections.

No Caption Provided

I think a unique twist with the rebellious wanna be free from traditions would add a little interesting social conflicts

within the airbenders relations.

No Caption Provided

Do you think Airbenders should have another sub element? They're no longer rare, I say why not.

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aww wtf??? This happens when using Microsoft word?

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ANTHP2000

The concept of sound bending does exist. It was part of Avatar's Quickstrike TCG released back in 2006. The game introduced artwork and notes on unseen-before bending techniques and characters. We got to see a lot of Nomads from the time of Aang's childhood, right at the start of the Hundred Year War. This card in specific is titled Misdirection, as the airbender generates a sound from a distance to misdirect firebenders and hide. I'll quote from one of my blog entries on airbending;

Not unlike the majority of advanced airbending techniques, sound bending is a mostly undocumented skill*. The only evidence of such a skill's existence is derived from the early years of the Hundred Year War, when a young Air Nomad girl named Malu, raised in the Eastern Air Temple, was hid in a cave deep inside the forests by her mother and father, both of whom were amongst the early casualties in the hands of Firelord Sozin. As such, Malu was forced to survive alone, both against nature, and against the armies of the Fire Nation still hunting down the airbenders around the Temples. In large part, she was a self taught bender, who could generate and control vibrations in the air in order to produce sound waves from a distance.

It remains a mystery if airbending masters before her, even the great Monk Gyatso, were capable of this technique, or if Malu was the one who developed it before it was lost in time.

No Caption Provided

*For all intents and purposes, I would consider the Avatar: The Last Airbender Trading Card Game as soft canon; this secondary story material could be used as supporting evidence of pre-existing characters and plausible techniques, on account of the fact that the developers worked closely with the writers and martial arts consultants of the Avatar series to establish new characters, bending techniques, and all the information found in the game, for the sake of authenticity. In the end, they followed the creators' intent.

Personally, I would really love for them to introduce sound bending on-screen. There might be a lot of other airbending techniques lost in time that we've not really seen due to the Nomads' lack of exposure as of now.

Viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Viking1205  Online

@futureisbest: Great writeup about the possibilities of sound bending. The possibilities are immense and with the lack of knowledge on airbending relative to the others, I'd really love to see anything new about airbending come out, in any form. Beside the formatting, this is really a good job.!

I do hope we get it on screen.

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah.

Flight as it's sub bending was kind of lame in my opinion