No Caption Provided

I CAAAAAAAAAAAANT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAITTTT

rem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a feeling this will be the best DCEU movie yet.

Literally every single casting in this movie was perfect. espessially Mary and Captain Marvel.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

baph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nearly every movie gets good reactions before it's out.

Based on the trailer, it's going to be full of cringy teenager jokes, so i'm not expecting Shazam to be good.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baph said:

Based on the trailer, it's going to be full of cringy teenager jokes, so i'm not expecting Shazam to be good.

nah breh u a hater tho

baph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@mrmonster: I was surprised by the comment that there are scary moments in the film

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: I was surprised by the comment that there are scary moments in the film

With Sandberg having a horror film background, I can see him probably adding some creepy stuff with the Seven Deadly Sins seeing as they are apparently in the film..that’s my guess

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm glad we're not getting the usual "Look out, Marvel" or "Be afraid, Marvel" comments. I'm certain there's going to be some eventually, but those kind of reviews just seemed designed to get certain groups of people to immediately not want to give the movie a chance out of stupid fandom loyalty (it'd be the same on the other side if it was "Look out, DC").

Obviously taking everything with a grain of salt until I see it for myself but I'm still liking what I'm hearing, especially the comments about the movie being heartfelt. It was the same thing where I was worried Aquaman might be too much of a comedy and was so thankful it had some actual depth and emotions to it. Comedies are great but if I wanted nothing but jokes I'd go watch stand-up. I like being able to care about the characters beyond just the fact that they made me laugh.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah this is great.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC is rising. Imma have to stick with DC movies. lol

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

extremely Hype.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@mazahs117: if they had shown a teaser or two of how scary or what sivana is up to then it would be more interesting

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@baph said:

Not entirely sure you can tell the difference between types of "reactions." Audience/test screenings reactions are often good, but these are reactions from professional critics, which aren't always good.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cool.

Pumped up for Shazam!

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Do hope they are right.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I can see it being better than Captain Marvel

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me very happy.

Avatar image for chicago_bastard
chicago_bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baph said:

Not entirely sure you can tell the difference between types of "reactions." Audience/test screenings reactions are often good, but these are reactions from professional critics, which aren't always good.

Well actually they are. The studios invite those critics to early screenings of whom they know that they will very likely get favorable reviews. Just look at the first critic reactions via Twitter to "Captain Marvel", they were enthusiastic, too. Now as all critics have published their detailed reviews we have a new picture.

First twitter reactions by critics don't mean anything.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
@chicago_bastard said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@baph said:

Well actually they are. The studios invite those critics to early screenings of whom they know that they will very likely get favorable reviews. Just look at the first critic reactions via Twitter to "Captain Marvel", they were enthusiastic, too. Now as all critics have published their detailed reviews we have a new picture.

What are you talking about? Captain Marvel has an 81% on Rotten Tomatoes. Those are solid reviews.

Let's look at some of the critic reactions for Suicide Squad.

chicago_bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chicago_bastard

@theamazingspidey said:
@chicago_bastard said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@baph said:

What are you talking about? Captain Marvel has an 81% on Rotten Tomatoes. Those are solid reviews.

Let's look at some of the critic reactions for Suicide Squad.

I'm pretty sure you know how the RT score works. Most critics gave CM a rating around 6/10 (metacritic which is btw a better measurement than RT has it at 65/100), which is enough for RT to count the review as fresh. Compared to the early reactions who were raving about it that's a letdown.

When a film is complete crap like Suicide Squad then even your most reliable critics won't help. Doesn't change the fact that every movie who is at least solid like CM or Ant-Man and the Wasp got praised over the top by early social media reactions.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh

Tenguswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, pretty friggin excited for the Movie, both, feat-wise and entertainment-wise.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@chicago_bastard:

I'm pretty sure you know how the RT score works. Most critics gave CM a rating around 6/10

The average rating for Captain Marvel is 6.89/10, which is almost a 7, which basically means most critics can agree the film is solid, but not outstanding. That is more or less in line with Captain Marvel's social media reactions, who praised the movie, but only a select few were calling it one of the best MCU films or anything of the sort. To further illustrate this point, Black Panther received absolutely rave social media reactions, and ended up being the best reviewed MCU movie to date.

When a film is complete crap like Suicide Squad then even your most reliable critics won't help.

So, your argument is that "critics aren't reliable! They won't tell you if a movie is bad!" but when they do tell you a movie is bad, you say "well, of course they're going to say that! It was bad!"

Ant-Man and the Wasp got praised over the top by early social media reactions.

Yup. And the movie had a 88% Rotten Tomatoes score. Thank you for further illustrating my point. You've yet to show me a movie that genuinely had a discrepancy between critic social media reactions and the final reviews for the movie.

I'm not trying to tell you that social media reviews will be an entirely, 100% accurate representation of the final reviews will look like, but generally they're close enough. There likely won't be a significant margin between the social media reviews for Shazam! and the reviews.

chicago_bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: I never said that Shazam is going to be bad, just that rave early reactions don't mean that the movie will surely be great. Here are some early critic reactions to CM:

Do these sound like reactions to a solid, but not outstanding movie? They are pretty much as enthusiastic as the ones for Shazam. So Shazam can surely turn out to be a solid but not outstanding movie in the end.

chicago_bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chicago_bastard

Funny enough, I didn't even notice at first that i quoted 3 out of the 5 critics that the OP refers to. So the same critics who now rave about Shazam were full of praise for CM. That kinda backs my point that studios know exactly which critics they should invite to the first showings to likely get favorable reviews.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I this movie has a better hit than Feminist Captain Marvel, I see hopes in humanity.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am pleased to see DC showing some confidence in their movies by opening up social media reactions early, but on the same token I give zero figs about Twitter reviews. They are unreliable and often full of poo.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's obviously a good sign but Suicide Squad got a similar reaction so we can't be sure.

Essem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Essem

With Disney being as powerful as they are you can only speculate how many so-so reviews tips in their favor so critics will be invited to the next Disney screening.

The tomatometer is absolute trash, the only thing everyone should look at is average rating.

An example Man of Steel Average Rating: 6.25/10 with 56%

Captain Marvel 6.89/10 with over 80%

Now the question: should a 0.64 difference in rating equate to a 25% difference on the "tomatometer" It's very misleading imo.

Man of Steel reviews landed juuuust under "fresh" while Cap Marvel landed juuuust above "fresh". Despite being reviewed fairly similarly.

Hope they just get rid of the tomatomater and just give fresh, certified fresh and rotten based on the average rating which is way more accurate to how a movie was reviewed.

AtmExle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AtmExle

I think the DCEU has finally gotten the right formula. Hopefully, the movie will be good, it doesn't have to be a Dark Knight but as long as they keep a WW movie quality, I'd be satisfied.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@atmexle said:

I think the DCEU has finally gotten the right formula. Hopefully, the movie will be good, it doesn't have to be a Dark Knight but as long as they keep a WW movie quality, I'd be satisfied.

The real test is going to be when Joker, WW84, and Birds of Prey come out. Having a formula can really backfire if the studio is forcing all their movies to be the same tone. It's the problem the DCEU movies had, early 2000's CBMs had, and even the MCU to an extent.

Shazam and Joker will be the test that WB is able to keep up the quality and goodwill Aquaman gave them, but it'll also be the test to show if they're letting the directors do their jobs and if they're considering the characters first when it comes to tone.

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Alright! Looking forward to it.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's good, though I still don't trust early reactions to be accurate. Justice League had very good early reactions IIRC.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa, this is good! :D

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ready for you Cap.

Trapezoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baph: same, I do not enjoy teenage drama in any superhero iteration.

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: Wait what?!JL early reaction was massive Negative Most of them state It was Unwatchable as far as I know.

Doom_Phd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Early embargo usually means the movie is actually watchable To good.

chicago_bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@essem said:

With Disney being as powerful as they are you can only speculate how many so-so reviews tips in their favor so critics will be invited to the next Disney screening.

Oh, the Disney conspiracy again... It's the same with Warner and any other major studio, not just with Disney.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

I'm glad we're not getting the usual "Look out, Marvel" or "Be afraid, Marvel" comments. I'm certain there's going to be some eventually, but those kind of reviews just seemed designed to get certain groups of people to immediately not want to give the movie a chance out of stupid fandom loyalty (it'd be the same on the other side if it was "Look out, DC").

Obviously taking everything with a grain of salt until I see it for myself but I'm still liking what I'm hearing, especially the comments about the movie being heartfelt. It was the same thing where I was worried Aquaman might be too much of a comedy and was so thankful it had some actual depth and emotions to it. Comedies are great but if I wanted nothing but jokes I'd go watch stand-up. I like being able to care about the characters beyond just the fact that they made me laugh.

Agreed. I don't see why people think that one doing good will inherently hurt the other. The entertainment industry is more than big enough for both the MCU and the DCEU.

@amcu said:

That's good, though I still don't trust early reactions to be accurate. Justice League had very good early reactions IIRC.

Keep in mind that those were from a rumored test screening (for all we know those positive reactions were never more than just internet hearsay) and that these are critics who we know for a fact have seen this movie.

Doom_Phd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chicago_bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doom_phd said:

@chicago_bastard: Not really Disney is far bigger than just WB.

Yeah but somehow not big enough to prevent RT from giving the Disney movie A Wrinkle in Time a 42% score...