No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

From a Historical perspective I believe It is interesting stuff. I Still Hate Stan Lee though.

No Caption Provided

The complete pamphlet is online if anyone wants to track it down.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I still don't get your Stan Lee hate, sure the dude is a credit hog, but you've had extreme hate for the guy as long as I've been on this site. I'm not trying to be rude, just an observation. My theory is that Stan is just like a really successful used car salesman, sure he's got nothing to do with how well your car runs but he can sure as s**t convince you he does for a minute or two before you think it through.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Mannnnn, I'd have loved to have had this to read as a kid! :D

Do you have the link handy to the full posting?

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Thanks for this.

@cbishop: I agree, this would be great to own in hardcopy.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

@joshmightbe: @cbishop: @donovan_montgomery:

One could assemble it from an Image search on google or visit

This Site for instance. This book was renewed in 1976 and is not public domain btw.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

@joshmightbe: You should read Kirby King of Comics by Mark Evanier. My Stan Lee hate will then be easily understood. Kirby would get tremors from how bad Stan/Marvel treated him.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@joshmightbe: You should read Kirby King of Comics by Mark Evanier. My Stan Lee hate will then be easily understood. Kirby would get tremors from how bad Stan/Marvel treated him.

Ah, that explains it. I enjoy Mark Evanier's writing very much, but he is very much about giving the credit that is due to past creators. I recall a particularly angry (and deserved) tirade on the obnoxiousness of Bob Kane claiming sole credit for the creation of Batman. However, something to keep in mind is that you're saying he'd get tremors from how bad he was treated as if he wasn't there. He was there experiencing it firsthand, and continued to work there for many years before going to Topps Comics to write and draw creator-owned stuff.

Why are you wasting your time being mad about it? Do I think the standard practices of the day are deplorable by today's standards? Absolutely, and I think Disney and TW/AOL could do very well for themselves to set those matters right today, but dude, it's not going to happen. Wasting energy on hating those guys isn't going to change it.

The change I'm waiting for is for comics to realize that they are a special kind of books, and to act more like book publishers than magazine publishers, so that creators retain more of their rights (not that prose publishing is completely fair and balanced, but at least most books get published with credit to the author). ...Bah, anyway man, just saying don't let it eat at you.

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

Interesting. Although much of this is common knowledge now, it wasn't as transparent an industry back then. Thanks for sharing.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Thank you for sharing. I knew a little bit of this stuff when I was a kid, simply because there was someone there that will always tell me them.