Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By Jgames
No Caption Provided

Scoob! Movie Review by Jgames

Scoob! is a new movie that I luckily did not have to pay for since I paid for the last rented $20 movie. I get why that is the case right now, but as a person who usually sees a movie by himself, I really hate the $20 rent system happening due to the pandemic. But back on topic, yay I get to talk about a new movie, I just wish it was a better movie.

Scoob! is a movie about Shaggy and Scooby's friendship as they go on an adventure with Falcon Fury to stop Dick Dastardly's evil scheme. If you go in expecting to watch a Scooby-doo movie, you will be very disappointed as the movie felt like a kid superhero movie with Shaggy and Scooby in it. The mystery gang is mostly separated from Shaggy and Scooby, leaving little screen time of all of them together. The movie mainly focused on Shaggy, Scooby, and the Falcon Fury team which is not what I expected. I get that the Scooby-doo franchise has to keep evolving and doing new things, but this was just completely different then what was expected. But does that make the movie bad; no if you are a kid, but most likely yes if you an adult.

The movie makes a joke about Shaggy sounding like what a middle-age guy thinks a hippie teenager talks like, which did get a chuckle from me but funny enough the movie is written like what a middle-age guy thinks today kids like. It makes so many references that seem aim to please kids, like someone doing a dab, or making Netflix jokes, twitter, toxic masculinity, and much more. Do not get me wrong, it has lots of fun Hana Barbara references which I appreciate, overall it was a kid movie that is only happy in entertaining kids, and not have the adult gouge their eyes. I mean the movie is mainly about friendship but does it in the most cliché way that most people have seen in other kids’ movies. If you are a fan of Scooby-doo, then you might be disappointed by the lack of the mystery team being together and instead of seeing Shaggy and Scoob interacting with superheroes which again just felt random. The Superheroes were not terrible I guess, but they were forgettable. I just do not understand why a movie that is meant for kids, does not feel the need to introduce the mystery gang to a new generation and instead focus on Scooby and Shaggy. Maybe if it was for an older audience I would understand, but it just felt like someone thought the movie cannot succeed unless it has a superhero in it. Making for a movie that felt nothing like Scooby-doo, and just another animated kids movie. Where the heroes go on a journey that tests their friendship, but not in a convincing way or adds anything new to it.

The animation by the way, just like the movie is nothing memorable. They are talents behind the animation, but it does not stand out in any way aside from the designs of the robots that remind me of Death love + robots. Granted I did appreciate them redoing the intro to one of the Scooby-doo show in CG which did bring me nostalgia. The CG for the mystery gang was, for the most part, great, with the exception for Fred. The animation was solid, nothing amazing compare to its competition, but nothing terrible.

Overall, this movie will entertain kids since it is a movie that has nothing god awful, has competent animation and voice actors, with a story that is nothing new but can be fun for kids. It’s a kid movie that is satisfied to just entertain kids and is just not for me. I give this movie a D+. Kids movie can entertain more than just kids, but not every kid's movie is interested in doing that, which is just the reality of things.

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TobeyMaguire84

So another wasted potential! Good review

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 anthp2000  Moderator

I did not even know this movie was a thing until yesterday.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't see why they decided to turn this into a superhero movie. Scooby-Doo is fine as it is, no need to rebrand it into a completely different genre.

MetalGary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just another very cliched CGI comedy movie.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really don't see why they decided to turn this into a superhero movie. Scooby-Doo is fine as it is, no need to rebrand it into a completely different genre.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

It's most definitely a Scooby Doo movie. Just one that focuses on the rest of the franchise rather than solely focusing on the Scooby Doo, Where Are You formula. If people thought this movie was bad now imagine how they would've felt if they had left all of the characters they cut in the main story.

My only real problem with the film is that the climax was lukewarm. Other than that, I liked it. It was certainly better than Return To Zombie Island and Curse Of The 13th Ghost.

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it.

MetalGary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MetalGary

It appears North America has a poor taste in CGI movies, all those are just kiddy generic overly cliched comedies.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just out of curiosity, did you have much familiarity or any nostalgia for the Blue Falcon and Dynomutt or Dick Dastardly and Muttley?

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, just leave Hannah-Barbara cartoons be. They were already perfect without new lackluster additions.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Jgames

@Penguin-Dust: I know Dick Dastardly from Wacky Racers, had no idea that Blue Falcon amd Dynomutt were actual characters from Hannah Barbara. Thought they were made up just for the movie tbh.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eslay03

It was not very good. It started solid, and ended solid, but everything in the middle was very rough, especially story wise. I don’t mind a movie not having a great plot or story if it is funny. Plenty of “kid” movies have done this. For example, The Lego Batman movie. It’s a incredibly stupid movie, but it’s hilariously funny.

That’s where SCOOB! failed for me. I chuckled a few times, but never really laughed.

I’d give it a 4.5-5/10.

Nice review nonetheless! :)

You should do one on The Call of the Wild. I loved it and would also love to hear your thoughts on it!

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: I remember Dick Dastardly having his own series prior to Wacky Racers called “Stop That Pigeon” or something like that. The premise was Dastardly and his squad of WW1 flying aces try to intercept an Allied messenger pigeon before he reaches his destination. There’s plenty of HB comic explosions. The Blue Falcon also has his own show in the 70’s probably as a response to the success of the Super Friends. He also appeared in an episode of Dexter’s Lab as kids who watched Blue Falcon in the 70’s were making cartoons in the 90’s.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ede7a8106dc9
deactivated-5ede7a8106dc9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recognized the animation style and pretty much saw how this movie would turn out. How many fart jokes were in it?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Billy Batson

@Penguin-Dust:

It was actually Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines (Stop that Pigeon was the working title and the theme song) and it came after Wacky Races. I never saw Wacky Racers but saw Dastardly and Muttley and knew the characters from there.

BB

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: I stand corrected, thank you. It’s been ages since I saw it.