Sales figures for October 2007

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

since i have now seen enough people quoting that "Marvel is officially more popular than DC", i thought i would go out of my way to do some actual research on it...

according to sales figures, which company is more popular? for this experiment i took the latest sales figures and researched them... the results were actually quite surprising and enlightening...

http://www.newsarama.com/marketreport/oct07sales.html

for people who don't want to read the full listings... and it's a lot of text lol

here's the official figures...

DC narrowly leads the Unit Share category 38.98% over Marvel's 37.08% and the Dollar Share category in an even narrower 34.17% to Marvel's 33.68%.

Dark Horse also continues to build steam slowly, scoring a notable 7.07% in Dollar Share along with 5.39% in Unit Share.

Despite the small margins between the 'Big Two' publishers and the absence of a Marvel event title at the top of the charts, it will now be noteworthy to watch how the major publishers perform against one another leading up to and then during their respective 2008 events, including Final Crisis for DC and the Skrull-centric Secret Invasion for Marvel.

so there it is, while Marvel have the top selling comic and Dark Horse hold the top spot for TPB for the month, DC actually have the strongest sales figures for October, a spot they haven't held for over a year now... previous to May 2006 DC held the top rank constantly for a long time before Marvel took over...

it looks like the tides are turning sooner than expected, if this trend continues then DC might be holding on to the top slot for longer than most people think.

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Methos

i don't have to dream... i've got the sales figures in front of me...

see...

points to top post

M

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Interesting. Cool that you digged it up too. I was also wondering about the sales between the two biggest comic companies and to be honest, I thought Marvel was beating DC easily in terms of sales. Not because people said so but if you look at World War Hulk and the bursting popularity of the Spider-Man movies, I thought those two would be up the top.

And NEW AVENGERS #35 as #1? In competition for Marvel, I seriously thought it would be Spider-Man being up the top.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Methos

i was surprised at it as well...

good surprise though lol

M

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ms. Invisible

T Challa says:

"But to say there going to be on top for the foreseeable future is laughable."

And just because you predict that, you're right?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Methos

actually i wasn't picking one side or the other...

i was just sick of people stating "Official figures" without actually looking into it...

for example i had one post stating that Wold War Hulk was the biggest seller in October... impressive since not a single issue was shipped that month...

i was posting that independant of DC or Marvel... i wanted to post the official figures without starting a war over "fanboy's" Vs "Fanboy's", something which you seem to have taken on yourself... congrats

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Methos

well considering i'm talking about the share categories which has been steadily rising for some time now, and not actual "popularity"... i think that is a justified post...

if it was purely about "popularity", then it would be down to the fans, not the actual money...

M

Ultra-Patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Ultra-Patriot

Marvel has in general sold better than DC since 1972. I blame the Mutants :P

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points