#1 Edited by sladerulez (9987 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, now for those who don't know (which is everyone), I don't like purchasing books, and much rather go to my local Library instead, and when it comes to Manga, I simply go to one of the hundreds of free manga sites. However, when I heard that RWBY was starting a series of Manga anthologies that must be purchased to read, I was skeptical, not really wanting to spend $9 on something I would only be reading for 10-30 minutes.

In the end, I purchased it, hoping that I wouldn't regret it, and... I didn't. the Anthology was overall very enjoyable and made me laugh a few times. It even convinced me to purchase the second book, (which I'll review later)

So I decided to make my own review to the rwby anthology series. starting with the first volume:

Red like Roses Review

No Caption Provided

Ok, to start things off, the manga anthology has little to no weight in terms of affecting the overall story. Taking place before volume 3, "Red Like Roses" is mainly focused on adding further depth and personality to the main protagonist of the series, Ruby, through an abundance of short stories. This is most likely due to a pressing concern of Ruby's character being too underdeveloped that fans have been rather vocal about. Thankfully, the manga seems to fix this issue by providing further insight to Ruby's motives along with giving her more personality.

the Manga itself is rather minimal in terms of action, with only two or three actual action scenes that barely qualify as such. That being said, the manga is more focused on emotion and comedy, to which a lot of their jokes actually seem to land. as a matter of fact, this is one of the only Manga that actually made me laugh out loud. The emotional factor is also rather present, as we get to see Ruby in a far more passionate state than she is in the show. Showing her motives aren't solely based off of her fantasy dream of a happy ending, but through the loss of her mother, to which I Adore them for adding.

However, the one area where the manga seems to fail in is the other characters. They didn't really stand apart from their trademark personality, and Weiss seemed to be repeating herself again and again and again. Yang is just smiling and cheering, while Blake is just... there. the only time they acted outside of their standard personality is when they all share a deadpan stare at Ruby's logic. I understand why they did this, and accept the fact that Ruby is intended to be the main focus, but I can't help but want more from them all.

Overall, if you like RWBY are ok spending money on one, then this series is one worth looking into.

#3 Posted by ReaperTheGrim (947 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool but if rooster teeth wants me to care about their flat characters they should try putting some actual effort into their show, rather than a spinoff manga that I won't bother reading.

#4 Posted by sladerulez (9987 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaperthegrim: besides the poor execution in volume 5, they seem to be making improvements with the show altogether alongside with adding further additions to the RWBY franchise outside of the series

#5 Posted by ReaperTheGrim (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@sladerulez said:

@reaperthegrim: besides the poor execution in volume 5, they seem to be making improvements with the show altogether alongside with adding further additions to the RWBY franchise outside of the series

The fact the they need spin offs like world of remnant and the anthology manga to explain the world and character motivations instead of putting them in the show just proves how bad the writing staff really is.

#6 Posted by sladerulez (9987 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaperthegrim: 1st. Ruby is the only one who actually “needed” this. The rest of team RWBY and even JNPR have plenty of depth and character to them, although there can be some changes and fixes made to their characters.

2nd, if volumes 5 and 6 have shown anything, it’s that they don’t seem to put the World of remnant shorts into mind when they make the show. It’s simply a way to provide exposition in a way that doesn’t take time away from the actual show, to which I find rather clever.

And finally, Anthologies don’t have a single writer, but instead, it’s made up by multiple Mangaka writers. They simply add insight to the character.

We always knew Ruby’s motive, but the manga gave us a greater insight to the character, while she goes through zero changes in the manga

#7 Posted by ReaperTheGrim (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaperthegrim: 1st. Ruby is the only one who actually “needed” this. The rest of team RWBY and even JNPR have plenty of depth and character to them, although there can be some changes and fixes made to their characters.

2nd, if volumes 5 and 6 have shown anything, it’s that they don’t seem to put the World of remnant shorts into mind when they make the show. It’s simply a way to provide exposition in a way that doesn’t take time away from the actual show, to which I find rather clever.

And finally, Anthologies don’t have a single writer, but instead, it’s made up by multiple Mangaka writers. They simply add insight to the character.

We always knew Ruby’s motive, but the manga gave us a greater insight to the character, while she goes through zero changes in the manga

No the rest of the characters do not have depth, Jaune being snarky about Pyrrhas once every few episodes isn't depth, Ren and Nora having a flashback episode and holding hands isn't depth when all they do for the next season is narrate to the audience and talk about character growth they haven't had, and Blake who after getting tired of living like a princess in the only place on remnant fuanus can feel safe, decides to join a terrorist organisation to fight the racism she's never seen, has depth ok then lol, but what about Yang then, she punches a guy in the face for being a creepy perv but its fine when she crushes a mans balls in her hands, why is sexual assault meant to be funny or ok when its against men, or how about the fact that she suffered ptsd for like two episodes then healed to full health off screen, how am I supposed to believe that a girl who was heart broken when her best friend just ran off and left her has depth when it only took her a five minute conversation to get over it. You can have Weiss though she's actually quite well written.

Having other media explain how the world works just for the actual show to retcon it isn't my idea of clever, its basically the inverse of show dont tell which is what made season 5 the worst by far, if you have the characters of an action show sit around for ten episodes and talk about the world they live in your writing a bad show that anyone that isn't in love with the characters wont watch.

#8 Posted by Gokluma (7862 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how Ruby got development in it and whole Weiss thing was cute

#10 Posted by sladerulez (9987 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaperthegrim: Jaune has actually been through the most development throughout the series, both in terms of his skill and his character. Pyrrha’s death seemed to make him more emotional and impulsive.

Ten and Nora are honestly fine the way they are. Other than causing tragedy, there’s no real change needed or to be expected for them. Their backstory and character arc fleshed them out as much as they needed to be. They are already developed.

Blake’s character is mixed up, where they didn’t seem to know what to do with her, but that doesn’t mean her character lacks depth. In all honesty, people act like she has never faced discrimination but forget that she was in the white fang ever since she was a child “I was practically born into it”. Although her dad being the chief of menagerie would suggest she lived a happy life, her father being the leader of the white fang also suggests that she dealt with the same threats as any white fang member.

And then there’s the fact that she lived in the terrorist white fang for five years, meaning that her claim still stands.

And then there’s yang. While I also agree that her Crushing Junior’s genitals is uncalled for... when did she beat someone for being a pervert? If you are referring for the bandit she punched, that was for touching her hair, which is something she has always done, not exclusive to someone being a pervert. As a matter of fact, she literally didn’t care about him hitting on him, nor did she care about when Dee and Dudley hit on her, nor did she care when PORT was hitting on her. She doesn’t seem to care if peeps are Pervs or not. It’s just her hair. To which she will attack man or beast.

Yang also showed to mature as a character, learning not to let her anger get the better of her. The only real “Problem” she has is how quickly she gets over it, but that issue is minor.

The issue is, is that people want Yang to get Mad, and are upset when she is not, despite the fact that she is learning to not let her anger get the better of her, since she lost an arm because of it.

And Weiss, like Yang, seems to go through things a bit too quickly. Like how every conflict we see for Weiss is gone over relatively quickly and isn’t truly fleshed out. However, she is still one of the best written characters.

And honestly, you think it’s dumb that they have the World of remnant explain the things in the franchise, but you dislike it when Volume five is pure exposition. There are ways to have things explained without it being dragged on, but Imagine how it sounds if we were to explaining average things in modern life

Jim: hey, what is this?

Jerry: that is a trash can. Commonly made of plastic or metal, trash cans are containers that carry trash and variousl forms of waste, until they are later emptied, and the trash is taken via dump trucks to the dump

That’s simply a convo that wouldn’t logically take place. So I do see it as clever to have exposition that wouldn’t be logically explained thoroughly in the story explained outside of the story in a video exclusively meant for those who actually want to know, however, knowing or not will have zero effect to what needs to be known for the plot. So it really doesn’t matter if you watch it or don’t. Hell, it’s no different than having a data book.

#11 Posted by Red_Ruby_Petal (7227 posts) - - Show Bio

still thinking of reading it

#12 Posted by sladerulez (9987 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh great, I accidentally edited it. I’ll fix it later on