Rise of Skywalker vs Revenge of the Sith

• 61 results
Sav0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Rise of Skywalker vs Revenge of the Sith (96 votes)

Rise of Skywalker 17%
Revenge of the Sith 83%

Quick backstory (you may skip this if you want): I have been a hater of sequels since The Last Jedi and have spoiled myself Rise of Skywalker on purpose and from what I have read and seen (Palpatine vs Rey scene online) Its so bad. So I will not be able to like this movie ever and don't think I'll be go watching it in cinema. For me the purpose of sequels has been cash grab (star wars name) and to shit on original trilogy characters (Luke, Anakin and Palpatine).

Question: Which movie overall do you find better? or enjoyed more?

• 
Eobard21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revenge of the sith all the way

zgtfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone actually made this a thread...

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Revenge of the Sith

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This has already been done.

Still TROS

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TROS

People have deluded themselves into thinking the prequels are good and it’s frustrating as fuck.

Now idgaf if you don’t like the sequels as they are flawed movies with some kneecapping mistakes made by the writers . Hate them, Shit on them , spew all of your fanboy vitriol all over the worldwide web but never forget that the prequels sucked ass too.

Joker567892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars fans just need a villain first it was GL and now it’s KK and Disney

They just need someone to hate

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joker567892: no

No they were not

ROTS is the only decent movie of the lot

whats makes those movies bearable now is that they were recontextualized by over a decade of content which gave you a reason to like those characters

Joker567892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grinningf0x: Nah fam, the prequel trilogy is much better on further analysis than the sequel trilogy...

You don't have to a agree, but it's my opinion that I liked these films(They have better memes as well).

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EmmaFrostXmen

ROTS is my favorite Star Wars movie so yea imo it stomps, TROS was NOT bad though I just prefer ROTS

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joker567892: I respect your opinion and I hope I haven’t come off as if I didn’t .

If so I apologize

But I stand by the prequels being bad on their own and that they were redeemed by years of Games,Books,Shows,Comics, and even Memes(Ben Swolo is funny IDGAD) . I mean tell me something interesting and nuanced about Darth Maul without having to pull from anything outside of the movie, or for Count Dooku under the same stipulation. Why do most watchlist tell you to skip TPM? I’m sorry my dude but those movies were awful imo but even still I enjoy them because I grew up with them and the lore that was added later made the story more interesting than the movies ever did .

I bet in 10-15 year when the young kids that grow up on this Trilogy and all the added fluff are grown they’ll think these movies are good too

HarryNorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rise of a skywalker was a horrible movie and one of the worse star war movies ever to be made this century.

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ride pretty hard for ROTS (even though Padme dying of a broken heart would get absolutely crucified if they tried to pull that today) but Rise wasn't bad.

HarryNorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ride pretty hard for ROTS (even though Padme dying of a broken heart would get absolutely crucified if they tried to pull that today) but Rise wasn't bad.

Rise was a horrible movie that crapped on the previous films and was filled with plotholes.

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harrynorine: I got that impression from your previous post. Not sure why you felt the need to respond to me.

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll watch ROTS any day of the week over any sequel trilogy film.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edbb4007f071
deactivated-5edbb4007f071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rise of Skywalker because it didnt have cringe dialogue and acting. There's a reason pretty much every scene in that movie has been turned into a meme. The best performances in that movie were done by the CGI which is just sad as hell.

InvadedTBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll watch ROTS any day of the week over any sequel trilogy film.

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I’m just the only guy who remembers all the hyperbolic shit people said about the prequels

Probably why I don’t take this shit serious

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grinningf0x:

I haven't seen TROS and I do think that the first two prequels are not good at all but I really liked Revenge of the Sith.

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grinningf0x: You're not the only one. I remember the vitriol the prequels inspired. I guess time heals all wounds, that or nostalgia has kicked in for those that came up with them.

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: and there’s nothing wrong with that as I enjoy ROTS too but it’s like people forgot how awful the other PT movies were and that frustraste me. I remember when George Lucas was called a hack and people claimed he ruined Star Wars and the like.

Now they’re secretly good and Disney destroyed Star Wars and have bad characters ???

IDC if you hate these movies as that’s your right but let’s not pretend like the “Magic” in Star Wars came from PT

Miss me with that bull

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingofwakanda: Same thing is going to happen with these Movies a decade from now

Watch

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grinningf0x: Agreed. I said the same thing in another thread. To a younger segment of the fanbase, this is their Star Wars.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grinningf0x: I think the sequels are better made movies in nearly every department from a technical standpoint, but I do think the prequels told a better overarching story. There was a clear direction and endpoint for the prequels; the fall of Anakin Skywalker.

ROTS also contains what many consider to be arguably the best fight in the franchise which was between Anakin and Obi Wan. So with having a clear direction, a memorable fight, the darker tone, I can see why so many people gravitate towards it. Movies are art at the end of the day, and art is subjective, and I think ROTS really resonated for a lot of people who were kids then and adults now. And in my opinion, I do think it held more emotional weight than the sequels.

The sequels biggest flaw will always be that it lacked foresight. There seemed to either be no plan, or JJ had a plan and Rian threw it out. Whatever it was, the storytelling for those three movies are not cohesive at all. You have two directors, with two different visions, with two different themes in mind, who were actively retconing the other's movie who came before it.

So I guess my overall stance is that the sequels are better made films from a technical standpoint, but the prequels told a better story overall. And think that ROTS was a better conclusion to it's trilogy than Rise was to the sequels, so it's ROTS for me. Plus I didn't like the way Rise and the Sequels as a whole just kind of shit on the legacy characters and their accomplishments.

Avatar image for superiorsgbeast
SuperiorSGBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rise of sky walker

Revenge of the sith was more flawed

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatduderox: excellent analysis but I have my disagreements

1- lack of planning isn’t what ruined this trilogy(OT wasn’t planned out at all)it was lack of backbone . TROS is as messy as it is because of Disney giving in to Fan backlash as opposed to just telling the story that they wanted to tell

2- Luke vs Vader in ESB is a better duel imo as it has a perfect amount of tension, visuals and , narrative weight. The Duel on Mustafar lasted a little too long and could have been cut in places that would’ve improved it’s overall appeal

3- The overall plot of the PT isn’t that good especially when you can disregard a majority of TPM and it works just as well if not better. Dooku based solely on the movies wasn’t very nuanced it interesting either and held less weight than Vader or Kylo Ren and don’t even get me started in Maul. What was his importance?? zilch

The Prequels weren’t a better story

4 -I’d argue The only legacy character that got done wrong was Luke

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The prequels are vastly better than the sequels, and are decent films as movies only. As a SW film, they're outstanding.

OT: I enjoyed both but ROTS is better.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grinningf0x:

I won’t disagree about the ESB fight scene because it was a great fight scene and this is all a matter of opinion at the end of the day, and they’re all subjective. But I do think you’re giving the sequels a pass on some of the things you’re criticizing the prequels for.

One of your main complaints about the prequel characters not receiving a lot of characterization in their films is the same heat the sequel is currently taking from critics and fans. That’s one of the few things most seem to be in agreement in. Poe, Finn, and especially Rose are terribly underused in these films. Even John Boyega has taken subtle shots at this. Finn screaming Rey is pretty much a meme at this point. And Rey, while more developed than the others, had no clear direction and I’ll get into that later. Kylo Ren was the most developed character of the new guys. And Hux was essentially a Saturday morning cartoon villain by the end.

Another problem is that we don’t know the story that Disney wanted to tell. JJ had a story he clearly wanted to tell, so much so that the first 30 minutes of TROS felt like his version of episode 8. And Rian clearly had his own narrative vision, so much so that he disregarded a lot of the set up in episode 7. Disney had no plan, and that is a problem when you’re trying to tell a story with an overarching narrative.

And that leads to the problem of Rey. Rian tried to set up the theme of Rey being a nobody to show that anyone could be a hero, that you don’t have to come from a special bloodline to make a difference. That was the significance of broom boy, that anyone could potentially be called to make a difference. Then JJ came back and said bump all that, Rey is a galactic princess from one of the most powerful bloodlines in the galaxy. This is a big issue with the storytelling. They had no trajectory for Rey and it showed in the final product. Say what you will about Anakin, but there was always a solid beginning, a middle, and a end of where his story was leading.

And it wasn’t just Luke who got screwed over by the sequels, Anakin’s accomplishments were essentially given to Rey. Who ultimately killed Palpatine? Not Anakin but Rey. Who brought balance to the force? Rey again. George and the canon compliant Clone Wars television show have gone into lengths to state that Anakin was the chosen one, but the sequels pretty much gave Rey that role.

Not to mention Palpatine surviving really makes it look like he got the final laugh on Anakin and Luke in the end. Palpatine survived Anakin’s final assault, which resulted in Anakin’s death. He then manipulated events that drove Luke into exile and ultimately his death. The last two protagonists got screwed over narratively by Palpatine’s return. As far Luke and Anakin go, he won.

Avatar image for getsugatenshoha
GetsugatenshoHA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grinningf0x: it did for me bro. The original trilogy can be very boring to me but that’s my opinion. You can’t act frustrated because people like the prequels.

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatduderox: No pass is being given to the ST . Don’t mistake my calling out the PT and it’s apologist for anything but that. The ST suffered from its fear of The Fanbase and the backlash is why TROS is as messy as it is.

Underused or not the ST cast were at least characters that’s had “clear” motivations and quirks that anyone could feasibly see why someone liked said character . The PT suffered from a dearth of likable characters coupled with bad writing. You say having a clear beginning,middle, and end is a good thing but the example you mention in Anakin wasn’t made a better character by it.

Palpatine coming back was a mistake but not disrespectful by any means and to be real the expanded lore did it first in Dark Empire. Anakin canonically was the Chosen One who brought balance to the Force as stated by him in the Movie. Rey just has to do it again which is the verbiage Anakin used “ Bring balance to the Force Rey, As I did.” Is more or less the direct quote . May or May not be satisfying but the intent is there. Anakin succeeds but what that means is changed . Anakin stopping Palpatine rips the universe from his grasp and destroys everything he built. The Sith are no more and all that remains are pretenders , imposters entranced by the throne . Palps returning is shaky but imo doesn’t undermine what was done by Anakin and Luke because he DID loose but returned for another battle and still ultimately lost to Luke and Leia

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

TROS is meh but still better than those trash prequels.

Avatar image for getsugatenshoha
GetsugatenshoHA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rackhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revenge of the Sith always. Heck, even A Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones was better.

The sequels are just garbage fanfiction. Whereas the prequels gaves us amazing memes, Mace Windu, Darth Maul, Count Dooku, the Senate, Sheev Spin, and excellent choreography and music.

ROTS in particular made Darth Sidious into an amazing villain with a love of the fine arts, and subtle manipulation.

It gave us the death of democracy with thunderous applause.

It gave us the high ground.

No contest. Revenge of the Sith 10/10 of times.

Cognitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ROS isn't a movie, it's a highly profitable YouTube video.

LukaDoncicmvp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember people shitting on Anakin actor for not being good at acting.

How is Rey any better, all she does is speak with English accent & never close her mouth.

MattyBoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ROTS stomps. It's an amazing movie and well written, ROS isn't that bad but it's not that good, and the writing is terrible.

SamJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ROTS. Only advantage ROS has is visuals.

Avatar image for deactivated-627d8daf1de25
deactivated-627d8daf1de25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Revenge of the Sith, but both are amazing.

Edgelord91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grinningf0x: facts. Now let’s debate whether PM was worse than last Jedi.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RoTS for me. Neither are amazing but neither are bad. Each movie does some things better and some things worse than each other, but RoTS feeling less rushed and fitting in better with the overall story makes it a bit better imo.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rise of Skywalker was a boring, rushed mess. Revenge of the Sith has a lot of flaws but it still is pretty good.

Avatar image for deactivated-60292f0aa8158
deactivated-60292f0aa8158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revenge Of The Sith EASILY lmao.

Erkanbeater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revenge of the Sith with utter ease, it's actually good.