R.I.P. to another great comic book store

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#1  Edited By EganTheVile1

Pop's Comics of Sarasota FL is officially closing it's doors today, yeah the comics are 75% off for the rest of the day but as much as I'll enjoy the sale, this means myself and others will need to take our business and subscriptions to the Dark Side (no I'm not making a statement on buying comics online, the city's other comic book shop is called The Dark Side, LOL) But this is a sad trend, Comic book/Hobby shops are getting killed left and right, so go out and support yours. Going to miss having pop's across the street, especially walking in during D& D games, arguements about Cylons VS Terminators, and a generally friendly attitude. Your local stores need you, if you are lucky enough to have a local comic book store frequent it!
Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Pania

Everyone at my LCBS has had to cut back, but we are trying to keep it kept afloat as much as we can. Helped in great deal by one guy with a trust fund who walks in and drops like 600 bucks on comics a week. I have not seen this phenomenon personally, but he is legend. He will walk in and walk out with an entire long box that he's casually flipped through. As long as it has some Silver Age stuff, he'll take it.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Satyrquaze

My LCS (Comicbook College in Minneapolis, MN) is having a major sale this week. I'm not sure if it portends their eventual closing, but I worked at that store back in highschool. I'd be a bit sad were they to close their doors.
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@Pania said:
" Helped in great deal by one guy with a trust fund who walks in and drops like 600 bucks on comics a week. I have not seen this phenomenon personally, but he is legend. "
It's probably danhimself
Avatar image for ravaginghamster
RavagingHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RavagingHamster

i know where im spending my Christmas dough now, haha.  Best Buy can wait.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

My local one is hitting hard times as well, they are pushing their older comics . i'm hoping and praying they don't close because if they do I'm going to have to go to the next city over to get my books

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EganTheVile1

Just got back from Pop's closing, fittingly the store went out with a D & D game and a beer in the owners hand, who sold me a couple mint condition Marvel Masterworks for 20 bucks, about 90 dollars below cover price... Great now the cool comic shop in my town is gone. I'll miss your store Chris. Brian you better treat the new customers right!
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

My Comic Shop Amazing Stories in Shrewsbury NJ has trouble since it is about 2 miles away is Jay and Silent Bob's original Secret Stash in Red Bank. A bunch of tools shop at Secret Stash There like "OMGZ JAY N SILENT BOBZZZ" not to mention the clerks are unhelpful @$$holes. My shop has an awesome helpful owner and great statue and back issue collection something Jay and Silent Bob's lacks

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EganTheVile1
@Son_of_Magnus said:

"My Comic Shop Amazing Stories in Shrewsbury NJ has trouble since it is about 2 miles away is Jay and Silent Bob's original Secret Stash in Red Bank. A bunch of tools shop at Secret Stash There like "OMGZ JAY N SILENT BOBZZZ" not to mention the clerks are unhelpful @$$holes. My shop has an awesome helpful owner and great statue and back issue collection something Jay and Silent Bob's lacks "

Yeah Chris was helpfull to the end, Brian in my town is cool himself, but some of his staff make me look like a kind caring soul. Oh and he also gave me Uncanny X-Men 200 for free,,, How cool is that?
harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By harleyquinn12

My store(Comic Fusion in Flemington,NJ) had a sale this week too. Fortunatly,it was just because of the new year.  It's a great store owned by a guy named Bill. They have a gigantic amount of comics,so I hope they don't close soon. I've went to a couple other stores before finding  this last May like (Dewey's in Madison,NJ,Comic Cafe in Warren,NJ,Paradox Comics in North Arlington,NJRouge Comics,in Cranford,Nj,and Comics Fortress, in Summerville,and Collosol Comics,in New Port Rcihey,Fl. The only other store that I really hated was JC Comics in North Plainfield,Nj. Horrible service in that place,Terrible prices too. Does anyone else know about any of these stores? If so just PM me.
Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Mutant X

The first comic store I ever went to closed down a couple months ago, after only roughly a year and a half. It really saddened me, seeing it shut down.