• 63 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (41737 posts) - - Show Bio

AXIS has come to an end and it has brought about some major changes for various heroes and villains. While many of Marvel's characters have reverted back to their usual mentalities, some characters remain inverted and now, the Uncanny Avengers is going to have a brand new roster. The comic won't go on sale until January 28, but Marvel hosted a conference call with writer Rick Remender, executive editor Tom Brevoort and editor-in-chief Axel Alonso to talk all about it. Along with several other sites, we joined the call to talk with Marvel about what we can expect from the upcoming series and its characters. Also included is a look at UNCANNY AVENGERS #1 and its covers by Daniel Acuna and Leinil Yu .

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Rick Remender says forming the new team is kind of like fantasy football. He mentions individual powers and personalities are important to weigh, as is how each individual can help him with what he wants to accomplish. The writer explains it's important to get Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch together, adds it's nice seeing them back together and their inclusion makes it feel more like an Avengers team. Remender also says he wants to do big things with Vision and he has a lot of love for Brother Voodoo and Sabretooth. As for Rogue and Scarlet Witch, Remender says they've earned each other's trust because they went through hell together and they learned the most. He describes them as co-leaders.

Regarding Sabretooth, he's trying to redeem himself and even though he helped saved the world, it doesn't change the fact he's a serial killer. Because of that, trust is an issue. "When the craziness begins, we'll get to examine his state of mind and see where he's at." When asked if we're seeing the rise of a new Wolverine, Brevoort says fans try to stay ahead of the company by looking at solicits, but says if they're doing something right, fans shouldn't be able to tell where they're going. Basically, he's saying don't jump to conclusions about Creed's future just yet because he has an "awful" past and "literally 100 years of misdeeds." Brevoort reminds us that it's uncertain how long the inversion spell will last; it was an unnatural thing that made Sabretooth like this.

No Caption Provided

"Where the series picks up, you have Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver frantically trying to discover the truth about who they are and who created this grand lie that they have believed to be their ancestry." The first story will revolve around this duo and it sounds like we won't have to wait long for a big development. As for their new history, Remender states the upcoming reveals "fit continuity" and described them as "exciting" and "long-term."

Remender says Counter-Earth is one of the "coolest and most exciting ideas" in the Marvel Universe; he also calls it underused. The reveals behind the new Counter-Earth and the villain behind it all is what got Remender excited about the story. Says Daniel Acuna's artwork for the sci-fi story is "the icing on the cake" and it's "the work of his career."

When it comes to the dynamic between Scarlet Witch and Vision, Remender says he wants to "respect the continuity." Implies there isn't complete animosity there, but the history between them is certainly felt. He adds the High Evolutionary is an element in the story and a character that has really grown on him. "There's some real meat on the bones of that character."

When asked about Sabretooth being on a leash, Remender says Creed is pretty much okay with it. "Doesn't appreciate it, but he also recognizes he has a lot to make up for. With his moral compass and state of being inverted, he's not there to make a big stink about some of the precautions the Avengers have to take. As for why he's brought along, I have a specific reason for that."

No Caption Provided

When asked about the Avengers of the Supernatural, Remender says he really, really wants to do something with the team and he loves the supernatural corner of the Marvel Universe, but there's nothing going on at the moment. "There's no plans for it right now, but it's something Tom and I have discussed at length."

Rick says Tom pitched the idea of the story. Remender viewed it as a big and frightening job, and that helped attracted him to it and he became really enthusiastic. Says the size and danger of it is really appealing to him. "As the mystery grew and developed, that fear of people's reaction, that's something creators should embrace." Says mysteries like this one keeps the universe exciting and, as for the answer to the mystery, he "likes it quite a bit."

Where will we see Havok next? "We put a pretty big arrow on that at the end of AXIS." UNCANNY AVENGERS #1 starts you "in the middle of the chaos" and "figures readers are savvy enough to pick up on it all." Comments the issue feels more like a second chapter, implying they skipped heavy amounts of exposition but still made sure new readers won't be lost.

Will Magneto appear in the first arc? "Whether it's this arc or if it's later, Magneto is going to be involved at some point."

UNCANNY AVENGERS #1 is on sale January 28. CLICK HERE for more preview pages.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#1 Edited by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

The art looks great, I think I'll read this in trade.

Sad to see so many of the cool and unique characters from the first team gone.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Remender has written anything good at Marvel since X-Force.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
#3 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (9285 posts) - - Show Bio

With the whole counter earth thing and the convergence. Sounds like Marvel is severely biting off of DC.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
#4 Edited by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardiandevil83 said:

With the whole counter earth thing and the convergence. Sounds like Marvel is severely biting off of DC.

Yea but at least Secret Wars has had allot of thought and back story put into it via Avengers/New Avengers.

I'm afraid Convergence is going to be a hot mess thrown together to cover the move to Malibu IMO.

#5 Edited by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they put can Hope to work (haven't done anything with her since Teen Jean showed up) or maybe Nate Grey/Cable?

On the Avengers side has Hercules gotten his powers back yet? Could use some more muscle!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#6 Edited by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@earthsmightiest: Even with all the build up it could still fail, and if anything that would make it worse. Heck Marvel had been building up Axis since the start of Marvel Now, and that didn't turn out so well.

Still, I think it will go well.

has Hercules gotten his powers back yet? Could use some more muscle!

He'd make a great replacement for Thor.

#7 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

@earthsmightiest: Even with all the build up it could still fail, and if anything that would make it worse. Heck Marvel had been building up Axis since the start of Marvel Now, and that didn't turn out so well.

Still, I think it will go well.

As with Axis and Forever Evil showed anything can fail, we can but hope.

P.S. - please don't start on how wonderful FE was, I know your a fan and I'm just poking you a bit hehe.

#8 Posted by HexThis (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not buying till I get an answer about Magneto and the "grand lie" better be that he's not related to them, btw.

#9 Posted by jaybefre (154 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Owie (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like the art. I've avoided this but maybe I should get into it now.

#11 Posted by eamon542000 (336 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to this, cool costumes designs all around

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
#12 Edited by TheAmazingImmortalMan (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait, I really enjoyed the first UA run and this one seems like it could be just as good if not better.

#13 Edited by BigMan1227 (141 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't you guys think it's overkill to have Sam Wilson be in Avengers, New Avengers, his own solo, uncanny AND captain America and the mighty Avengers? By the way I can't wait for this book. I loved uncanny before and I'm loving it now. I love Quicksilvers new costume. Ok so here are some things I think: Quicksilver and Wanda's origins are tied to the high evolutionary and counter earth. That means they could even be the high evolutionary's kids. Or Mephisto. Another thing. The new WOLVERINE can be many different people: Daken is my top pick. It makes the most sense. Or hell, Jim Hudson could survive the secret wars and HE could be the new WOLVERINE (but he obviously will die off with the rest of the ultimate universe). It's most likely Daken. Not X 23. No. Daken definitely

#14 Posted by johnny_blaze (1357 posts) - - Show Bio

"There's not plans for it right now."

Meaning: It'll never happen.

#15 Edited by TheBlackHood (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Until Marvel decides to undo the nonsense retconning of Magneto's family I will be avoiding anything with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. The entire thing seems like a crap move just to make the comics more in line with the films. I don't understand why Marvel can't allow their different forms of media to simply exist independent of each other.

I also don't get how they're still using the "Uncanny Avengers" title when there is only ONE X-man on the team. We get it Marvel, you're still pissed that Fox has the rights so just make this another Avengers title. Having Rogue on the team just makes her seem like their "token mutant hero".

#16 Posted by HumanRocket (11234 posts) - - Show Bio

Really interested to see how Brother Voodoo and Sabertooth play a role in the team.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
#17 Posted by HeirToTheKingdom (9201 posts) - - Show Bio

Make Quicksilver a badass in this please.

#18 Posted by n25philly (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta love how the Avengers have reached the point where you only have to be a good guy for around 5 minutes to get membership. How long do you think it will be before the bad guys are all avengers too?

#20 Posted by Night4345 (8450 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta love how the Avengers have reached the point where you only have to be a good guy for around 5 minutes to get membership. How long do you think it will be before the bad guys are all avengers too?

Reached the point? Bad Guys becoming Good Guys and joining the Avengers has been a thing since the beginning. It was 16 issues in (1963) when Captain America got three former criminals to form a new version of the Avengers.

#21 Posted by pspin (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks pretty good. The last run was good, not as good as Uncanny X-force but still good. It is a nice alternative to Hickman's stuff. Plus the return of Brother Voodoo is a nice touch that was one thing I didn't like about the end of the Bendis run killing off so many characters

Maybe they put can Hope to work (haven't done anything with her since Teen Jean showed up) or maybe Nate Grey/Cable?

On the Avengers side has Hercules gotten his powers back yet? Could use some more muscle!

Hope has been in Si Spurrier's X-Force and it has been really good.

#22 Posted by frozenedge2 (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

God, I'm so wary of what's happening with Quicksilver and Wanda but I can't deny my enjoyment of Uncanny Avengers

#23 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

@pspin: Isn't X-force being cancelled? More unemployed mutants.

#24 Posted by jhazzroucher (25150 posts) - - Show Bio

It really lacks Storm

Anyway, I love the green color for Voodoo's power.

#25 Posted by GokaiFire (78 posts) - - Show Bio

I love you Rick, but can we get a few X-Men on this team? I mean how about Beast or Storm or Colossus or Ice Man. Can you please do something with Angel? I mean you did kill and resurrect him.

#26 Posted by Betony (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah...er....I think I'll skip this one. After the infuriating retcon of the Maximoff twins and the utter waste of time and money "Axis" was as a whole (and previous events), I'm pretty much done with Marvel comics. The only ones I'm going to follow are Magneto, Star Wars, and Darth Vader. (I mean...they can't mess up Star Wars, right?) Everything else just makes me bored.

#27 Posted by Maddpanda531 (1635 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wish Axis hadn't changed this series as much as it did. If only Axis was smaller and restricted to just being an arc in UA, then the changes to the roster wouldn't be so jarring. That aside, I'm looking forward to reading this.

#28 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (8899 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice

#29 Edited by ShadowLife248 (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Ermm Sam Wilson is now holding the mantle of Captain America so of course he would be in number of Avengers team other than the main Avengers team.Nothing surprising about that.

Sam Wilson isn't exactly in New Avengers, is just that now Avengers + New Avengers issues are continuing from one and another.Captain America and the Mighty Avengers is featuring the inverted Sam Wilson before Axis had ended. Is it also weird he is in his solo book when the book is about him? =.= sheesh.

#30 Posted by Teerack (10703 posts) - - Show Bio

I am so excited to see Vision and Wanda close together again.

#31 Posted by MegaConkster (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does everyone seem so big on the art and new costume designs? I can't find anything to like about the direction this book has taken. Also, someone questioned whether or not new Captain America being in so many Avengers books plus his own book being overkill... to that I say a resounding yes. But with the very high profile change of passing on the mantle to Falcon, they seem like they're trying to jam the change down everyone's throats with "look how awesome he is" until everyone accepts it. Personally, I'm just not feeling that as much as the whole Magneto twist.

It just feels like everything at Marvel lately is one big crap storm being thrown at the wall to see what sticks before they do some major retconning / reboot in with, during, and/or after the Secret Wars stuff.

#32 Posted by AwesomePerson (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@earthsmightiest:

Hope Summers: She is now the mutants computer, or something MeMe and is on her adopted father' steam, X-Force...

Cable: He is leading his own team in X-Force

Nate Grey: Comic limbo... Apart from the occasional mention her and there....

Since X-Force is now cancelled, I don't know what is going to happen to Hope and Cable but Hope will probably go into comic limbo becuase she is a plot device and we have teen Jean...

Cable will end up being or doing... Something, unless he goes into limbo too...

#33 Posted by Krypton-115 (545 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually really excited for this! The art looks amazing and while I didn't read Remender's last Uncanny Avengers, I very much like this team. Obviously Cap, Vision, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are here because of the Ultron movie, but that doesn't matter at all. Cool to see that Sabretooth is stepping up to be a new Wolverine, but I have no clue as to who Brother Voodoo is.

#34 Posted by MegaConkster (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Sabretooth is actually stepping up to be the new Wolverine so much as trying to be a better Sabretooth.

#35 Posted by adamTRMM (8989 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing that made SW and QS interesting was their relation to that mutant guy.

Anyway, like I said already, Acuna is wasted with Remeneder.

#37 Edited by MAZAHS117 (12324 posts) - - Show Bio

The Twins have been Mags children for like what, 50 years now! I'm sorry but this is lame to change it now, just because they have this beef with FUX. C'mon man, stick to your guns MARVEL. ugh

#38 Posted by Pizzaman (1377 posts) - - Show Bio

What exactly has Scarlet Witch learned to make her a leader? I'm asking because I quit the book after the first 5 issues when she kept complaining about mutants being mad about almost being exterminated.

#39 Posted by scavengerFist (1935 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, who remained inverted?

#40 Posted by k4tzm4n (41737 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, who remained inverted?

Sabretooth, Iron Man and Havok.

#43 Edited by Dedpool (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good. I get how Wanda and Pietro not being Magneto kids will fit already with the High Evolutionary involved. They've been attached to him as well, so him being at the center of the lies is no big surprise to me, if it got what he wanted.

#44 Posted by Dedpool (692 posts) - - Show Bio

As for Sabretooth this should be fun. A good Sabretooth that actually feels remorse, but is still a hardass! Yeah, that's definitely different, and I hope it lasts for a bit at least.

#45 Posted by pspin (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

@pspin: Isn't X-force being cancelled? More unemployed mutants.

I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. It seems that all of the smaller, different books get cancelled. Which sucks because X-force is so good.

#46 Posted by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is the chick battling Scarlet Witch? With the fluoro-flame hands?

Avatar image for batmanonthemoon
#47 Edited by BatmanOnTheMoon (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

I don't think Remender has written anything good at Marvel since X-Force.

I respectfully disagree. I loved his Venom, and Uncanny Avengers.

Edit: Oh yeah! and I REEEEEEEALLY enjoyed his run on Secret Avengers.

#48 Posted by UHypocrite (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Like I said before, I ain't wasting anymore money on stupid retcons. I had enough and I don't think the art is all that. I've seen better and this is going to be crap no matter what. Why include Magneto in the long run just so they can throw a pile of sh*t in his face? I don't care about the movie nor what Remender has to say about how excited he is with this nonsense. I ain't touching this book and I'm sure many others won't either. Sorry Remender, Cullen is the best.

Avatar image for batmanonthemoon
#49 Posted by BatmanOnTheMoon (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Like I said before, I ain't wasting anymore money on stupid retcons. I had enough and I don't think the art is all that. I've seen better and this is going to be crap no matter what. Why include Magneto in the long run just so they can throw a pile of sh*t in his face? I don't care about the movie nor what Remender has to say about how excited he is with this nonsense. I ain't touching this book and I'm sure many others won't either. Sorry Remender, Cullen is the best.

"going to be crap no matter what"

At least you're keeping an open mind :D

#50 Posted by UHypocrite (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@uhypocrite said:

"going to be crap no matter what"

At least you're keeping an open mind :D

Well, Axis was crap. So how can I expect more? How can I expect this will be better? lol.