Review Round-Up: 5/28/15

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Each week, the staff of Comic Vine reviews a whole bunch of books. What we like to do is sum up everything for you here and give you a few extra, quick reviews. What did we think about this week's books and television shows? Find out now!

Quick Reviews

No Caption Provided

DEADLY CLASS #13

The action and suspense just never stops here. Last issue we witnessed a gigantic battle with Marcus and Maria up against some professional (and incredibly deadly) assassins working for the father of Maria’s ex-boyfriend (who she killed). There’s a lot of bad history between them going back to her whole family being murdered as well. Rick Remender gave us a crazy cliffhanger and I have to admit, he actually surprised me with how things turned around at the beginning. It’s these little twists and the character development that gets you hooked. Of course Wes Craig’s art and colors are phenomenal, as usual. The change in the panel layouts, perspective, and tone established by the colors really drives the story forward at full speed. You’ll also discover that not everyone is necessarily safe in this series. (Review by Tony Guerrero)

No Caption Provided

ALL-NEW HAWKEYE #3

Jeff Lemire is continuing to build the relationship and dynamic between Clint and Kate. Even when they’re stuck in a SHIELD debriefing room, their conversation and banter is priceless. That isn’t to say this comic is all about talking. Ramon Perez delivers some great scenes both during the downtime and when when Kate decided to show exactly what she’s capable of doing. It’s unclear where the story will go with the developments from Project Communion but you can’t help but be intrigued by what sort of mess this will put the two Hawkeyes in. The flashback scenes are gorgeous and fascinating but being reduced to a single panel per page, it becomes a little difficult to follow what’s happening there and in the main story. There are some parallels but you might find yourself wanting to go back and looking just at those panels. You’ll also be thrilled at the return of a fan-favorite character. (Review by Tony Guerrero)

No Caption Provided

CONVERGENCE SHAZAM #2

Despite our mixed views on Convergence as a whole, Jeff Parker and Doc Shaner do a pretty great job making us care about a two-issue fight that could be over (if you already read this week’s CONVERGENCE #8) before you even read this issue. The two-issue format was way too brief to get fully invested in a story but seeing the classic versions of the Marvel family fighting against and alongside Batman from the GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT world. What starts out as hero vs hero soon turns into a pretty spectacular fight against some villains from both worlds. If only we could have had more! The fight and story felt a little rushed because of the format but still remains one of my favorite Convergence books. (Review by Tony Guerrero)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

DIVINITY #4

While this may be the last issue of DIVINITY, this isn't the last time we've seen Abram, especially since DIVINITY II was announced for 2016. This final issue pits Unity up against Abram and his followers. Should Unity kill Abram and make him a martyr for his people or let Abram win? It's a very weird ending. Things are wrapped up to a point, but it's still very easy for Abram to come back. There's no bow-tie at the end of DIVINITY #4, which is actually pretty nice. Sure, Abram is out of the way where he can't harm or influence or mess with anyone or anything, but he's not gone for good. The art team does some solid work here and the only real downside to the issue is that on it's own, it's just not as good as the rest of the series. (Review by Mat Elfring)

No Caption Provided

BLACK HOOD #4

This month's issue of BLACK HOOD featured one brutal and vicious fight scene between Greg Hettinger (AKA The Black Hood) and some dirty cops. It's a slow-paced fight that felt real and Hettinger's identity is revealed to numerous people here. This book is dark, the main character is severely flawed, and yet, it's still one of my favorite on-going series right now. It's a strangely compelling. Michael Gaydos delivers some amazing art that tonally is the perfect fit for the writing of Duane Swierczynski and vice versa. The issue leaves off at an interesting place, and this is a series I really think you need to check out. Yes, you. (Review by Mat Elfring)

No Caption Provided

INFINITY GAUNTLET #1

This was an issue that made me feel like I've never read a Marvel book before. I felt lost, which isn't the greatest feeling in the world. The majority of the issue is one, big fight scene, which in cases like THE BLACK HOOD #4, really works when it drives the story. Here, not so much. The fight is more about establishing setting over anything else but it doesn't even do that very well. Here's the thing, the ending alone makes me desperately want to read the rest of of this mini-series. It's such a great end to this book. Dustin Weaver's art is downright amazing in this issue as well. So, while the story was a tad alienating and just ok, the ending and art make this a book you'll want to pick up, just so you can read the next issue.

(Review by Mat Elfring)

No Caption Provided

Round-Up Reviews

No Caption Provided

FRESH ROMANCE #1

Romance is alive with FRESH ROMANCE. While I was pretty excited about this new book when the Kickstarter launched, the actual book lives up to the hype and will be a delight for those interested in this genre of comic storytelling. The first issue contains a plethora of incredibly talented creative folks from the industry and while the first story didn't grab me as much as the rest of the book, overall, this first issue is a smashing success.

Check out the full review here.

MATERIAL #1

MATERIAL isn't your typical comic book. We often see different books designated to different genres. Ales Kot isn't interested in making this a book about a specific genre. The book takes an ambitious approach by touching on several different and pretty heavy topics. The characters feel real and you get a sense that Kot is really laying it all out as he sees it. Will Tempest's art adds to the feeling by not trying to depict the perfect or ideal versions of the characters as we often see in most comics. You might find yourself wondering what this entire series is about or how the different characters might connect, if ever, but you'll also find yourself taking an interesting journey that only Ales Kot can take you on.

SONS OF THE DEVIL #1

I first had the chance to read this a few months ago. Since then, I have read it a couple more times. It's an intriguing introduction that has me hooked to the overall story. Visually stunning. An insightful, yet horrific look into cults and the bonds that connect family. We're just getting a glimpse into the overall story. Brian Buccellato and Toni Infante have created an intriguing new world. You'll hang onto every word and Infante's art pulls you into the story. Simply put, I want more. You will as well.

No Caption Provided

CONVERGENCE JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #2

It truly was great to see at least a few of the members of the JSA back together again, fighting the good fight. Abnett had a great handle on who these characters are and alongside Derenick, Scott, and Kubina, they executed an issue that will bring fans of the team back to a time where the JSA was one awesome team. If you're a fan of the team, you'll want to pick this issue up. If not, I'll give it a mild recommendation, especially if you just want to see a fist fight for a whole issue.

FIGHT CLUB 2 #1

The fact that we have a comic book sequel to Fight Club feels incredibly surreal. Before it was announced, I had no desire to see one happen and thought it wouldn't work or be necessary. With Chuck Palahniuk continuing the story of the characters he created along with Cameron Stewart's art, you'll soon realize just how badly you do want to see this sequel happen. Seeing where the story picks up after all these years and with the visual freedom Stewart takes full advantage of, we get an amazing piece of work. If you've never seen the movie or read the book (shame on you), do so immediately. You do not want to miss out on this.

SECRET WARS 2099 #1

While the above complaints might take up a lot of room in this review, but it’s because they require specificity, not because they’re that big of a problem. This is a good, meaty first outing that establishes stakes and introduces characters seamlessly while allowing the reader to connect with, and even care about, them right off the bat, and with how long it took the INHUMAN series to pull that off, it’s really impressive that this issue manages to make it work so well and so fast. There are also a couple of moments that are genuinely novel and should make for some immersive, fascinating story beats.

No Caption Provided

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #46

This issue might be more establishing and building than delivering, but it really does feel like it’s building to something fantastic. There’ve been enough great stories told in this universe that it doesn’t need to prove itself fully issue after issue, but there’s still something to be said for taking a breather when a breather is called for. Still, pushing forward can’t be all bad, and this issue certainly isn’t as the various factions begin to gear up for what looks like will be their final confrontation. This issue is a good one leading to what will hopefully be a great one.

OLD MAN LOGAN #1

Every ounce of the Old Man Logan fanboy in me wants to love this book. I was incredibly excited to jump right into this book and while the art was nothing short of brilliant here and the world that Millar originally created is just as brilliant, the character of Logan is completely different from the original and the story here feels forced and not worth the effort of the main character. If you're looking for a book with great art, check this out. Otherwise, you may be a bit disappointed once the fanboy excitement fades away.

CONVERGENCE BOOSTER GOLD #2

Overall, CONVERGENCE BOOSTER GOLD is fun but at times, can be a little rough for casual fans of the character that don't follow all of Booster's adventures. The story with Booster and Blue Beetle is a ton of fun and pretty emotional at times, but the secondary material with Rip and the other Booster against the Legion of Super-Heroes falls a tad flat. It's not bad, but it's really overshadowed by the Blue and Gold story. All-in-all, if you're a fan of Booster Gold, this is probably going to be some essential reading for the character's future, so you may want to pick this up.

No Caption Provided

BLACK WIDOW #18

It’s unknown whether or not this series will continue beyond SECRET WARS, but if this is the last we see of this creative team on this character, it will have been a satisfying conclusion. Of course hope springs eternal that they’ll continue, and they do a good job of setting up possible threads that could be picked up later without making the end feel hollow. Natasha feels like she’s in a different place after this, and that’s a great thing for Edmonson and Noto to accomplish.

INFERNO #1

The Secret Wars series are giving us a chance to revisit past story arcs and different versions of characters. We've seen some books continue with the main feel while others have taken a deep departure. Dennis Hopeless shows us a part of Battleworld where the X-Men were forced to retreat during their battle against the demons. Jumping to four years later, we get to see how they've changed and what their mission is. Javier Garron does a fine job capturing the atmosphere of the transformed city. As the action starts to heat up, we get a pretty interesting cliffhanger that will make you want to come back for the next issue. Things might be bad for the X-Men but it's good for those that want an intriguing story.

MODOK ASSASSIN #1

Whether or not the protagonist is likeable (he isn’t) or there’s some prurient image at the end of the issue, this is still a very fun book that has a very new and interesting take on a well established character. MODOK has been a joke for a long time and it’s interesting to see him treated like a legitimate threat rather than laughed off as the impractical, hilarious being that he is. This issue shows a bit more of a serious story than may have been expected, but it’s still highly entertaining, and shows some vulnerability in its protagonist, strange and ham-fisted though it may be.

That's it for this week's Review Round-Up. We'll see you again next Thursday!

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's too bad that you thought Infinity Gauntlet was just okay. Personally, I really enjoyed it. The new characters were pretty great and I think the story that they're setting up is a very cool one. And, honestly, I never really felt lost reading it, as I thought the plot was fairly straightforward, but obviously opinions will differ. I totally agree with you on the ending, though. That was just too damn awesome.

Really love this segment, always a joy to read. Keep up the great work, guys.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's nice to see All-New Hawkeye actually starting to go somewhere. The dual stories are really making it feel drawn out. Seems like a series that will read way better in trade.

I also can't stand how Lemire keeps having Clint call Kate, "Katie". He didn't do that in the other series at least not nearly as much as he's done in the first 3 issues of All-New Hawkeye. It's a minor thing to complain about but I'd be lying if I said it didn't bug me.

And please for the love of god don't put Kate on a pedestal, I love the character but you don't have to continually show Clint being inept and her being awesome to make her great. I like when they're both doing their thing and working together. (This isn't a reflection on issue 3 though it was handled fairly well there) Just something I don't want to be a constant trend with the characters moving forward.

/rant

Other than that nice round-up

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

deadly classss

~MiB

jackcryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like deadly class, but they don't actually spend any time in class. Its been a couple issues, since they learned anything about assassinations and it was only about a page.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CaptainHoopla
bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More people need to check out The Black Hood, I totally agree! It's such an amazing series, one of the best on the stands today.

totoroshaped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I very much enjoyed Infinity Gauntlet, Sons of the Devil & Old Man Logan.

I also read Inferno & Secret Wars 2099 but I won't pick up the further issues of the two latter books. Didn't like these so much.