Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (12844 posts) - - Show Bio

Respect Coagula

Kate Godwin is Coagula, a member of the Doom Patrol and (likely) one of the first transgendered superheroes. She was given her powers/abilities after engaging in sexual activity with Rebis - a member of the Doom Patrol - and was accepted into the group after defeating the one-time villain - Codpiece. It's time to respect another one of the characters from the confines of the Doom Patrol!

No Caption Provided

P.S. - That is a frog mask, not her actual face. She is not a human-frog hybrid.

Table of Contents

1. Origins
  2. Coagulation
  3. Dissolving
  4. Future Sight

1.0 - Origins

As mentioned, Kate was once a powerless human. During that time she found herself in the company of Rebis, long-time member of the Doom Patrol, and the two engaged in sexual activity. Due to the radiation/negative energy that Rebis contained inside itself Kate found herself with abilities.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Issue: Doom Patrol #70 - The Laughing Game

2.0 - Coagulation

The ability in which Coagula took her namesake from. Her coagulation powers allow her to cause liquids to coagulate, basically turning them into a semi-solid or gel-like state.

No Caption Provided

Explanation: Here she's using her coagulation on beer as its pouring out of the tap. There's also a showing of her dissolving ability - a beer bottle.

3.0 - Dissolving

Despite her namesake being from coagulation she seems to utilize her dissolving power much more often. It's just more practical in combat I suppose.

No Caption Provided

Explanation: Coagula used flirtation to appeal to Codpiece & distract him in order to get close enough to dissolve his groin-cannon. It was this move that caught the attention of the Doom Patrol!

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

Issue: Doom Patrol #71 - The Fox and the Crow

Explanation: Being brought to the Doom Patrol HQ for the first time she is put through a test by The Chief. First she melts a cannon firing rubber pellets then reacting to and dissolving a missile mid-air as it's being fired at her. The Chief comments on her reflexes, dubbing them adequate.

Issue: Doom Patrol #74 - Bootleg Steele

Explanation: Coagula dissolves a lock to enter a large factory w/Robotman. The factory itself was 'alive' and attacked back when entered, believing it to be the REAL Robotman. In her counter-attack she uses her coagulation on an unknown liquid and dissolves a bunch of wires that were attacking Robotman.

No Caption Provided

Issue: Doom Patrol #76 - The Teiresias Wars, Part Two: The Hotel of Lost Light

Explanation: Coagula attempts to use her powers on a large creature but stops to help Robotman when it counter-attacks. She melts the I-Beam that it shoots from it's hand before it harms Robotman.

Issue: Doom Patrol #77 - The Teiresia's Wars part 3:The Witness Trees

Explanation: Coagula uses her powers to dissolve some sort of blockage in Robotmans body during reconstruction. This feat is interesting due to the fact that The Chief, a scientific genius + engineer akin the level of Will Magnus states that he could hardly follow it w/digital enhancing goggles/glasses. In the second scan we see that Robotman is alive & well, so the rebuild was successful.

No Caption Provided

Issue: Doom Patrol #77 - The Teiresia's Wars part 3:The Witness Trees

Explanation: Just another showing of Coagula melting an I-Beam fired by the same creature we saw earlier before the I-Beam can reach it's target.

No Caption Provided

Issue: Doom Patrol #81 - Two Mad Men With Foreheads and Boots

Explanation: Melts some creature mid-leap with her powers.

Issue: Doom Patrol #84 - Imagine Ari's Friends, Part One: A Song for the Small Face

Explanation: Dissolves some needle-like projections right before they hit Reb Chiam's eyes. Then begins to dissolve some stone structure.

4.0 - Future Sight

Issue: Doom Patrol #80 - The Dogs of Soul

Explanation: Coagula has this secondary power in which she can get random glimpses into the future and/or other realities when using technology such as computers. Here she sees something that happens later on in the issue. This power isn't well-explained though and I believe it was only shown this once, so I can't really give much else for an explanation.

Conclusion

Coagula doesn't have tons of feats and her lack of speed/reaction feats would probably put her in low street tier. I could see her powers being an option in a Build-A-Hero tournament but don't know how well she'd stand on her own.

Feel free to use her in battle threads and look forward to more Doom Patrol Respect Threads!

Avatar image for bullet_to_the_head
#1 Posted by Bullet_to_the_Head (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

She seems much more powerful than Codpiece

#2 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (12844 posts) - - Show Bio

She seems much more powerful than Codpiece

I mean, she did melt his member!

#3 Posted by GIliad_ (6654 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stuff, you still working on the revamped Rogues thread?

#4 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (12844 posts) - - Show Bio

@giliad_ said:

Good stuff, you still working on the revamped Rogues thread?

Yeah, I've been meaning to get back to that, but it'll be a process that requires me to re-read every issue of The Flash, haha.

Wanted to work with some lesser known characters first before I attempt the re-vamp!