Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4629 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

And for my next trick.......

Introduction

Quire's a good example of clear and understandable character development. Goes from bad guy, to antihero, and then to full on hero, even though he retains the same personality traits and doesn't flip flop or change suddenly. His change in behaviour is slow, and carefully planned out.

While starting off as a misunderstood rebel against what he considered to be a ineffective system, Quire eventually found meaning while working within the leadership of Wolverine, and graduated as a powerful and highly impressive telepath and reluctantly a potential future host of the Phoenix in years to come. At the moment, he's starring in the new edition of the West Coast Avengers (which is actually a solid series that doesn't rip off the movies, go check it out) and yet also appearing under other titles as well.

There is a RT on Quire already, but that one is outdated by years, and has some questionable wank (FTL Quire being one, smh) so I'd figured that I should throw my hat in the ring and give a detailed and comprehensive look at his capabilities as a telepath and intelligence in general.

Intellect

No Caption Provided

Tested highly for super-intelligence and invented antigravity tech for another student. (New X-Men #134)

No Caption Provided

creates a telepathy blocker by reverse engineering Magneto's helmet. (New X-Men #136)

No Caption Provided

Hacks into Shield's database casually. (Wolverine and the X-Men #38)

No Caption Provided

Actually can think of ten million thoughts per second. There was a misconception that he could only do this on Kick (a mutant enhancing drug) but considering that he's been off it for years at this point, this clearly isn't the case. (Nation X #2)

No Caption Provided

This database entry also backs up that statement. (X-Men- The 198 Files)

Telepathy Status while on Kick

No Caption Provided

Kick Apparently enhances mutant powers up to five times of their orginal power for five hours. (New X-Men #135)

No Caption Provided

Carves his name on a person's brain. (New X-Men #135)

No Caption Provided

Casually messes with Wolverine using TP and incaps him for a while. (New X-Men #137)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Needed the Five in One to be double amped to beat him in telepathy. Kick boosts their telepathy by five times, and Cerebra, directly stated to amp telepathy by ten times. Therefore, they were at best functioning at fifteen times the usual strength. Pretty damn impressive in contrast. (New X-Men #137)

Telekinesis

No Caption Provided

Deconstructs a car into pieces while also holding it in place. (West Coast Avengers #5)

No Caption Provided

Hits a massive AOE that blows back a ton of sharks and water. (West Coast Avengers #6)

No Caption Provided

knocks out someone with his gun gesture. (West Coast Avengers #8)

No Caption Provided

Smashes someone right through a wall (Generation X #1)

No Caption Provided

While massively weakened, is able to create a bubble that blocks a punch from a fire demon. (West Coast Avengers #7)

No Caption Provided

breaks a container designed to keep the force of the Phoenix in it while holding Beast and Shadowcat in place. (X-Men Phoenix – Endsong #5)

No Caption Provided

Carries a bunch of cars with one finger. (West Coast Avengers #5)

No Caption Provided

Casually swats Wolverine away while not even looking at him. (X-Men Phoenix – Endsong #5)

No Caption Provided

Creates a force that pushes over rocks and cars. (Generation X #9)

Telepathic Weaponry and Constructs

No Caption Provided

Creates a bunch of swords (Generation X #4)

No Caption Provided

creates a grenade that knocks out Glob after being tortured for days and beat down. (Wolverine and the X-Men #33)

No Caption Provided

Creates a shield and casually blocks bullets. (Generation X #2)

No Caption Provided

Creates a shotgun out of psychic energy that knocks out dinosaurs. (Wolverine and the X-Men #25)

No Caption Provided

Creates dual handguns that tags a teleporter. (Wolverine and the X-Men #30)

No Caption Provided

Knocks Storm out with a shotgun bullet. (Wolverine and the X-Men #12)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Uses a bullet to defeat MODOK in telepathy. (West Coast Avengers #4)

No Caption Provided

Uses a gun to forcely drag young Jean Gray into his headspace. (Jean Grey #2)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Uses a shotgun to annoy D'Spayre and sees through his illusions. (A+X #9)

No Caption Provided

Scans the building. (Wolverine and The X-Men #21)

Telepathy

No Caption Provided

Blocks Emma Frost's attempts to attack the Phoenix (X-Men Phoenix – Endsong #4)

No Caption Provided

Blocks one of the Stepford Cuckoos from entering his and his group's mind. (Generation X #4)

No Caption Provided

Blocks out Rachel Gray from his mind while focusing on other stuff. (Wolverine and the X-Men- Alpha and Omega #4)

No Caption Provided

Blocks out the telepathy of Red Onslaught, who was inciting mindless violence across the world. (Axis #2)

No Caption Provided

Boots No-Girl, a accomplished telepath, out of a body in under a second. (Nation X #2)

No Caption Provided

Casually knocks out some dude. (Wolverine and the X-Men #31)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Disables and controls a massive group of people and forces them to fight Wolverine. (Wolverine and the X-Men #9)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Disables Young Jean Gray while she was burning up with The Phoenix. (Jean Grey #9)

No Caption Provided

Knocks out a giant version of Tigra. (West Coast Avengers #3)

No Caption Provided

Knocks out a group of people. (West Coast Avengers #8)

No Caption Provided

Makes a entire council spill their darkest secrets uncontrollably. (X-Men- Schism #1)

No Caption Provided

Places the Cuckoos in a telepathic loop. (Nation X #2)

No Caption Provided

Pulls information from Logan and uses it to fly a spaceship and figure out methods of killing someone. (Wolverine and the X-Men #7)

No Caption Provided

Quire with Emma Frost and three of the Cuckoos are able to hold The Phoenix in place for a while. (Jean Gray #10)

No Caption Provided

Rebuilds a wall brick by brick and cleans up a room. (Generation X #2)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Stops a bullet mid air. (Wolverine and the X-Men #28)

No Caption Provided

Uses TP to turn off Slick's mutant power. (New X-Men #134)

No Caption Provided

Makes himself invisible to Logan's natural senses (Wolverine and The X-Men- Alpha and Omega #3)

No Caption Provided

Traps Logan in a complex illusion known as "The Construct". And does this for days while fooling his natural senses and removing his memories. (Wolverine and The X-Men- Alpha and Omega #1)

No Caption Provided

Quire manually processing every part of the illusion to continue fooling Wolverine. (Wolverine and The X-Men- Alpha and Omega #1)

No Caption Provided

Explains The Construct in greater detail. (Wolverine and The X-Men- Alpha and Omega #2)

No Caption Provided

Wolverine admits that Quire defeated him and that he didn't even know he was fighting Quire. (Wolverine and The X-Men- Alpha and Omega #5)

Conclusion

Quire is highly impressive in terms of telepathy, easily making himself one of the most powerful on Earth at the moment, and perhaps may become stronger if he gains the Phoenix in future stories.

When he's not jobbing or weakened due to plot (such as using Phoenix energy to help people out and weakening himself in the process) he seems to be a pretty strong foe to face off with.

#1 Edited by marvelfan1992 (2540 posts) - - Show Bio

good job! pretty solid.

I think a good feat you could add is him subduing krakoa (the one in the x-mansion) whereas Rachel was unable to. Although I don't quite recall where that happened

#2 Posted by Koays (11270 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelfan1992: WatX v1 issue 2. He explains that it that it doesn't like Hellfire Kids and has it crying while it begs Rachel telepathically to stay at the school.

@diarrhearegatta Great work.

#3 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4629 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: @marvelfan1992: Thanks guys.

Quire has a shockingly high amount of showings in comics where he doesn't really do much, so going through them all and getting the feats was pretty boring. I knew I missed something through.

#4 Posted by Koays (11270 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: Yea it kinda goes with his poor transition from being written as a "homegrown sociopath" into "under achieving millennial" . It doesn't help that WatX-Men gives him the spotlight without giving him (or anyone else really) anything to do.

#5 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4629 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@diarrhearegatta: Yea it kinda goes with his poor transition from being written as a "homegrown sociopath" into "under achieving millennial" . It doesn't help that WatX-Men gives him the spotlight without giving him (or anyone else really) anything to do.

Yeah, his transition from his character in New X-Men and his changes in following titles is a very shaky one and doesn't make sense at times. Also annoying that some writers write him well, and others.....well, don't.

#6 Edited by Koays (11270 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

Yeah, his transition from his character in New X-Men and his changes in following titles is a very shaky one and doesn't make sense at times. Also annoying that some writers write him well, and others.....well, don't.

Yup. Honestly Aaron kinda made him a Mary Sue in WatX-Men. Gave him alot feats that imply hes stilll pretty strong....but ultimately no development to flesh it out or make it seem realistic.

WatX-Men v2, Phoenix Ressurection, GenX and the current West Coast Avengers run kinda flesh him out as a telepath with weaknesses and some pretty obvious strengths going for him

#8 Edited by AlphaQ (6228 posts) - - Show Bio

An excellent respect thread.

I myself was also working on a Quire respect thread, it’s up but needs updating, I guess I’ll have to pull up my game to compete with this!

#9 Posted by God_Spawn (43094 posts) - - Show Bio

Props giving an underrappreciated character some love.

#10 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4629 posts) - - Show Bio

Props giving an underrappreciated character some love.

Thanks! Quire needed something properly formatted and updated- his other RT's were cool, but they didn't go into detail almost as much as this did.

#11 Edited by AlphaQ (6228 posts) - - Show Bio

Some feats that could be included are Endsong Quire dominating Cerebro Emma Frost so badly she thought he was Phoenix Jean Grey, disabling her later with a telepathic attack, having subatomic matter manipulation in E for Extinction, him and Emma Frost defeating the Stepford Cuckoos with context in the same story, him stopping people in the X-Mansion from noticing him in Alpha and Omega, him fighting the Phoenix Force alongside Lady Thor and him being stated to be able to overpower a team of villains including MODOK and Satana in West Coast Avengers. Oh! And in another story he defeated an ancient technopathic being in psychic combat who could hack Odin’s magic and write millions of lines of code near instantly.

#12 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4629 posts) - - Show Bio

@alphaq: Didn't include E For Extinction because it's not in the same universe and he had clear training there that he didn't have in the 616 universe. It's debateable if that makes him a different Quire in terms of powerlevel but for the interests of transparency I didn't use them.

Technically went over the Rachel Grey and the rest of the Alpha/Omega feats in the RT already, through I did forget the hiding from Wolverine one even tho I had it already, oof

Never heard of him beating the technopathic being through. That sounds interesting.

#13 Posted by AlphaQ (6228 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: I was thinking more when Xavier took over his body he instantly had access to subatomic telekinesis which implies to me that it's something he can freely access without special training, although probably not use in a battle forum sense for whatever reason.

There's also when Quire initially traps Logan and Armor as they sparring outside the X-Mansion, he realized that their bodies would attract attention so he mentions not letting anyone who happens to be watching notice as he hides their bodies.

Yeah, it's in X-Men Volume 4. Quire is set to supervise Sublime and later battles his sister Arkea and wins with his teammates battling her physically. These are from issues 11 and 12.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3