Respect Perun!

MirrorWave4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MirrorWave4

Ok this thread will discuss how much Marvel disrespects the Slavic God of Thunder Perun.

As you fellow viners may know Perun was published by Marvel in the year 1989 when the Soviet Union was beginning to end.

Perun is apart of a league of Supreme Soviets, who is referred by Marvel as the "Soviet Thor". As if to diminish the character's authority, and see him as a copy/ a knock off as you will.

Let me tell you guys something about Slavic Mythology.

1) Perun is the Supreme God of Thunder, Rain, and Lightning. He is a defender God against the Evil Underworld God Veles, who tries to corrupt mankind like the Devil

(Interesting fact: The Devil/ Satan was inspired by Veles and is used in modern day Christianity)

- I will provide a link later

2) Perun is adopted in today's Christianity as the Christian saint St. Elijah and some parts of God himself (God's use of Lightning)

3) Perun uses more than just an axe or hammer like Thor. He uses a Bow and Arrow, Sword, Speer, and Golden Apples which say to explode like a bomb.

That being said about Perun, there are not alot of similarities between Perun and Thor, so why is he "Soviet Thor"?!! I have 2 legitamant explanations

1) Rascism: Like I said, Perun was made during the time of the Soviet Union, when both USA and Russia hate each other. Well Perun's origins are not from Russia alone, he exist in eastern countries like Macedonia, Ukraine, Poland, etc. - -- Perun based on his standings in the Marvel Universe is mostly an Anti-Hero / Villian who tries to attack SHIELD and Avengers.

- In the Ultimate Universe, Perun is just a bold headed and shaved normal Russian man with a suit vest that grants him his powers. But the worst part is, Marvel shows its most disrespect toward Perun by allowing him to be killed by The Hulk. Someone on Sky Father lvls and a Supreme God should not be taken out by the Hulk.

2) Cash Cow: Any body who knows Batman knows how popular he is in the DC universe. Well Thor in Marvel has been by far the greatest Hero from mythology to ever been Published. Sometimes he's referred as Marvel Superman, which represents his awesomeness. Anyway, the average American sees Perun as just another Thor because of the Axe he wields, and feel like they are being spoon fed the same product. It's almost like if Perun came first than Thor is the knock off, when really neither of each character's original Mythology stories are someone's to own. Well I guess people are like that.

Any way, that's all I have to say, I believe Perun's character deserves Justice, what do you guys think?

Kharms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You can't expect anything else from american comic books. From the very beginning they were used as a propaganda tool. Slavic characters especially with russian roots are doomed to be a friendly ignorant sidekicks at best. Nice illustration I've seen come from Charlton's Captian Atom. Space Adventures 34th issue if I'm right, something like "second man in space". Ditko was a f*cking master of that kind of things. But it's nothing comparing to how comics show arabian-islamic characters and countries. John Ostrander's Jihad Team, Jason Aaron's Schism, Frank Miller's Holy Terror and 300. One of latest: example of Simon Baz in Justice League of America #8. And by the way you simply can't respect someone with ridiculously shitty name like Perun

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ultimate Perun was not a 'Skyfather-level supreme god', he was just a dude with technology who named himself after the myth.

Also I think you might be overthinking this a tad bit.