Respect Nitro (Complete Respect Thread?)

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Edited By ProfessorRespect
No Caption Provided

Look at this terrible image though, you know it's a good thread when it looks this bad

Introduction

Nitro is.....around, pretty much. He's (partly) responsible for killing Captain Mar-Vell due to long-term cancer and started one of the biggest events in Marvel history, but if you were to sit the average fan down and ask them about anything he's actually done, they would probably not even know where to start. This is NOT going to help that at all, but it does provide feats so you can't really complain.

Durability

No Caption Provided

Takes a beating and energy blast from Penance (Penance- Relentless #6)

Scan 1/2/3/- Brawls with Legacy Genis-Vell, staying mostly on par with his offence (Cosmic Powers #4)

Scan 1/2/3- Slaps up Omega in their first encounter, with them being more even in the second (Omega the Unknown #8)

Scan 1/2- Tanks multiple shots by Mar-Vell, with him admitting that Nitro is far too much for him to put him down (Captain Marvel #34)

Explosions

Scan 1/2/3/4- Nitro's main powers are that he can explode....then rebuild himself molecularly right afterwards. This allows him to essentially keep repeating that process until whatever is in front of him is KO'd or dead, as seen here he does the former to Mar-Vell in their first encounter. (Captain Marvel #34)

Scan 5- Mar-Vell states that had he been a fraction of a second later, he could be dead

Scan 6- Nitro's main weakness is that anything that can obscure or somehow stop him from rebuilding his form from the mist made from the explosion causes him to essentially be defeated, as seen here when he gets trapped in a air-tight container. (Captain Marvel #54)

Scan 1/2/3- Almost kills Spidey from a indirect blast, as well as using his powers to destroy a massive amount of webbing at once (The Spectacular Spider-Man #55)

1/2- Arath (his thing is that he can absorb powers) with Nitro's borrowed power destroys a entire small town (Sub-Mariner #1)

Scan 1/2- Arath with Nitro's powers is able to stun a dehydrated Namor (he does this with a sub-power that we'll cover shortly) (Sub-Mariner #5)

No Caption Provided

Being exposed to real nitro doesn't dissipate his body (The Spectacular Spider-Man #55)

Scan 1/2- Causes a massive blast to kill dozens of people and hurl cars all over the place (Daredevil #26)

Scan 1/2- Causes Skids to fall unconscious after blocking one (New Mutants #46)

Scan 1/2- Could've killed weakened Hercules had they kept fighting as admitted and shown on panel (Heroes for Hire #2)

No Caption Provided

Creates a isolated beam that kills the Punisher before time is changed (Cage #4)

No Caption Provided

Kills a bunch of guards (Captain Marvel #34)

Scan 1/2- Knocks Iron Man around, with Tony ultimately exploiting his explosions by forcing him to blow up over and over (Iron Man #15)

Scan 1/2- Lands a huge one in New York, which appears to at least stun the likes of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, etc (Secret Empire #0)

Scan 1/2- Sends Legacy Genis-Vell flying (Cosmic Powers #4)

Scan 1/2- Sends Luke Cage flying and forces a building to collapse. Later on they brawl evenly, with Cage having to rely on cheap shots and even then needing Punisher to shock him from the back to knock him out (Cage #4)

No Caption Provided

Sends Nightmask flying (Starbrand & Nightmask #2)

Scan 1/2/3- Sends Penance flying with multiple explosions, but can't crack the guy (Penance- Relentless #6)

Limb Exploding

No Caption Provided

Does so to nearly knock out Mar-Vell while in a scrap: essentially it is a smaller explosion but more concentrated to just his fists in this instance (Captain Marvel #54)

No Caption Provided

Causes a external object to explode (Iron Man #15)

Scan 1/2- Creates a small explosion to avoid getting shot (Cage #2)

No Caption Provided

Explodes his fist to stun Omega (Omega the Unknown #8)

No Caption Provided

Uses it to climb a wall (The Spectacular Spider-Man #55)

Scan 1/2- Overwhelms Iron Fist and one shots him despite his hand being damaged from the exchange (Heroes for Hire #3)

MGH

Scan 1/2- Blows up a massive chunk of Stanford (Civil War #1)

Scan 3- Is confirmed to have killed over 600 people in the blast (Wolverine #43)

Scan 1/2/3/- Rips Wolverine to a skeleton alongside a squad of fodder, a helicopter and a forest, though he gets gutted by Logan after gloating too long. It should be noted that this is dubbed "MGH" as that's short for Mutant Growth Hormone, which is what he was using to enhance his powers. (Wolverine #43)

Statements

No Caption Provided

Hits with the maximum force of 250 pounds of TNT (Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #9)

No Caption Provided

Could be one of the most dangerous beings on Earth if he wasn't crazy (New Avengers- Most Wanted Files)

No Caption Provided

Has become more inconsistent due to either age or prolonged chemical exposure, though this seems to be trying to retcon the MGH stuff as him needing it to keep up his usual rate of powers rather than a amp to his base form, so take it with a pinch of salt. (All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z Update #1)

Strength

No Caption Provided

Knocks around some regular people. Obviously there are more feats like this, but pretty much all of his other relevant showings have already been seen in the Durability section and the like. (Captain Marvel #34)

Conclusion

Nitro is weirdly inconsistent, but seems to stay within the mid tier section despite jobbing and high-ends. His power-set is unique and he's a bit of a nightmare for more conventional characters who can't get around his consistent spamming of explosions.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ProfessorRespect

Credit

Thanks to outside sources for the suggestion! I hope to make more of these, but time is not a plentiful constant, sadly.

Link to RT's and fun times

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Andromeda1001

Wasn't Nitro pivotal to the events of Civil War?

Good thread, btw.

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No wonder he always got an attitude, his power involves self destruction!

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice respect thread. Is Legacy Genis-Vell different from Genis-Vell?

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@professorrespect: He should be a villain for the Marvels movie or that might reserve him for Inhumans since his loosely based counterpart was in Agents of SHIELD

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't Nitro pivotal to the events of Civil War?

Good thread, btw.

He was, that was what I was referencing above. That also said, it's not something exactly well remembered, much less his side-story stuff.

Nice respect thread. Is Legacy Genis-Vell different from Genis-Vell?

Legacy Genis-Vell is him before sharing a body with Rick Jones, he was also a fair bit weaker given he was still a kid essentially.

@professorrespect: He should be a villain for the Marvels movie or that might reserve him for Inhumans since his loosely based counterpart was in Agents of SHIELD

He really should be but I doubt they'll bother with a D-tier character like this, sadly.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rac95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. I didn't even knew he had run-ins with Mar-Vell.

The only two things about him I knew, was that he was basically responsible for Stanford and the Civil War and the fact that Namor used him to blow up Atlantis and kill his son

CryoLancer47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CryoLancer47
@rac95 said:

The only two things about him I knew, was that he was basically responsible for Stanford and the Civil War and the fact that Namor used him to blow up Atlantis and kill his son

Same, lol.

The dude is just kinda there when the plot needs him.

OT: Nice!

Rac95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rac95 said:

Same, lol.

The dude is just kinda there when the plot needs him.

It's sad that they never really need him though. I think he has potential to become a good villain

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rac95 said:

Basically the only two things he's known for in general lol

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RavenVice01

@professorrespect: If you recall they made D-Tier villains the lead in movies like Ant-Man, Iron Man 3 and Dr. Strange when there was no cause to. At the same time, other villains like Egghead, Klaw and Baron Von Strucker are done away with so thoughtlessly.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: If you recall they made D-Tier villains the lead in movies like Ant-Man, Iron Man 3 and Dr. Strange when there was no cause to. At the same time, other villains like Egghead, Klaw and Baron Von Strucker are done away with so thoughtlessly.

That's true, but as you say it's pretty inconsistent

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: this gives me hope that you might do characters that you said you wouldn't cause im pretty sure you said he mid or something like that

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#15 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@rac95 said:

He caused Mar-Vell's cancer that killed him.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect said:
@rac95 said:

Yeah I acknowledge that above, but most people don't read comics so it's not really as well known a fact as it was

Rac95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect said:
@rac95 said:

Yeah,but Mar-Vell is a character I am not really interested in, so the fact that Nitro is responsible for that is kind of news for me

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rac95 said:
@majinblackheart said:
@professorrespect said:
@rac95 said:

Yeah,but Mar-Vell is a character I am not really interested in, so the fact that Nitro is responsible for that is kind of news for me

See? Nothing but education here etc

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#20 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@rac95: The Death of Captain Marvel is one of the best comics you could read and is highly regarded

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rac95: The Death of Captain Marvel is one of the best comics you could read and is highly regarded

Yeah it's pretty good for a oldie comic ngl

Rac95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers