Respect N52 Midnighter (Complete Respect Thread)

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Edited By ProfessorRespect
No Caption Provided

Teeth well brushed tho

Introduction

I was supposed to have this out a while back, but I reserved judgement on that to work on other things. It's going out now because I don't have a concept of time.

I'm also mostly doing this because the existing information on this version of Middy is quite bad and not at all comprehensive enough for a actual respect thread. A lot of people know bits and pieces about the character, but not a full outlook of his capabilities and whatnot, which I've been aiming to fix. Seeing as I've already gone through the limitations of his powers, it would also be necessary to show how potent they can actually be in specific conditions.

Battle Computer

No Caption Provided

Explained as having every possible scenario in a fight made available to him to process through, with the decisions being present even after the fight. This tends to manifest through very fancy results as Middy is a sadist and loves to inflict pain, meaning he tends to pick more brutal options than someone else would. (Grayson #2)

No Caption Provided

Perfectly catches Zealot's sword, predicting the angle and trajectory of the shot (Stormwatch #17)

No Caption Provided

Calculates a million angles for a enchanted gun to shoot at, allowing him to dodge all of them (Midnighter Sneak Peak)

Scan 1/2- Calculates every position and approach against a individual with a gun before he even attempted to engage, allowing him to headbutt the gun into pieces and easily move behind the guy as a blur (Midnighter #8)

No Caption Provided

Calculates every possible way some thugs could shoot their guns against him, allowing Middy to kick one of their shots into the other one mid-fire (Midnighter #3)

Scan 1/2/3- Figures out how to easily handle a group of thugs operating tech through processing the same situation a million times. This results in him being able to very specifically kick ham through a person's head, snap a neck mid-jump using table cloth, as well as punching through a person's torso to stab the second person's head with a pike. (Midnighter #1)

Scan 1/2/3- Gives Middy the perfect counter and position to handle with TK-tech, namely first tanking being sent flying upwards through concrete and road before being flung into the exact position required to bypass his teleportation defences, allowing Middy to Door through and destroy the interface with a kick. (Midnighter #5)

Scan 1/2/3- Clears through the Suicide Squad in one sweep, namely by kicking Parasite's tooth into Harley Quinn to stun her while allowing her weapon to go off in Parasite's face to also stun him. He's also able to handle Deadshot by effortlessly dodging dozens of bullets fired off by him before allowing himself to get tagged to get in close, breaking his hands when he lets his guard down. It should be noted however that the Suicide Squad eventually recover afterwards and overwhelm Middy, so this wasn't a perfect sweep by any means. (Midnighter #10)

No Caption Provided

Can compute bluffing and lies despite being blind to magic (Midnighter and Apollo #3)

No Caption Provided

Can detect actions through despite the brain turning feral (Stormwatch #12)

Scan 1/2/3- Can detect Manhunter's real intent via body language (I.E. he was wanting to leave the group and was actively mind-wiping the members) as well as determining the exact singular strike needed to kill him (I.E. a hidden evolutionary weakness in the nose, knocking it into the brain) which is only prevented because J'onn morphs his slightly to avoid that occurring. Even then, he still gets busted up. (Stormwatch #12)

No Caption Provided

Computes a result for a worldwide battle with the Earth's children (they lose, needing him to help out) (Batman & Robin Eternal #24)

No Caption Provided

Plays a perfect game of pool (Midnighter #1)

No Caption Provided

Processes numerous variables of a room at once (Midnighter #3)

Doors

No Caption Provided

BFR's Dick Grayson through one (Grayson #6)

No Caption Provided

Opens up multiple all over the Earth to BFR the Orphans to his location to beat up. (Batman & Robin Eternal #24)

Scan 1/2/3/4- Uses them to transport Robin and co around with multiple portals. Red Hood also uses it as a defensive option being able to break him out before a big explosion could occur. (Batman & Robin Eternal #23)

Durability

Scan 1/2/3- Brawls with a random Red Lantern, taking multiple slams and punches before eventually slicing his hand off and going for a potential kill with his big fancy knife (Stormwatch #9)

Scan 1/2- Gets beat down on purpose by Afterthoughtfor a extended period of time until he gets exhausted, allowing Middy to break his arm in multiple pieces. Yes, his armor was doubly enforced here, but it's worth mentioning still as a endurance feat. (Midnighter #11)

No Caption Provided

His armor no sells a icepick slash from Grifter (Grifter #7)

Scan 1/2/3- His armor defends against Grifter's bullets, as well as taking a big laser blast later on (Grifter #13/4)

Scan 1/2- Shakes off a direct TK punch (Grifter #13)

Scan 1/2- Shakes off getting sent flying with a kick into a car (Grifter #14)

Scan 1/2- Survives a big explosion (Midnighter #9)

Scan 1/2/3/4- Takes a beatdown from a Apollo+ clone with his own enhanced implants, being able to withstand his vicious bullrushes and strikes enough to scramble and destroy his brain with a sonic weapon (Midnighter #12)

No Caption Provided

Tanks having a flare stuck in his face (Grifter #7)

Scan 1/2- Withstands the Six Killing Sounds, which insta-kill regular guards but only slightly inconvenient, even if he's knocked over by a stronger version (Midnighter #2)

Skill

Scan 1/2- Beats down a squad of Orphans by his lonesome. It should be mentioned here that the Orphans as individual units are pretty op, being able to scrap with accomplished street tiers like Nightwing, Black Canary, etc, yet Middy just handles multiple of them just fine off-screen, THEN shows up later wanting seconds without any wear and tear. (Batman & Robin Eternal #24/5)

No Caption Provided

Beats down and captures male Ravager off-screen (Deathstroke #14)

Scan 1/2/3/4- Beats down the Syndicate group solo. Many of these guys are Z-tier goobers but this did include Grifter and Bronze Tiger. (Grayson #18)

Scan 1/2- Casually runs through a whole train of thugs in one sweep (Midnighter and Apollo #1)

Scan 1/2/3- Dodges multiple photon blade slashes from the Emerance of Blades, who was the most skilled swordsman in living history. He later merks him easily with a kick when he tries to fight Middy again. (Stormwatch #5/16)

Scan 1/2/3/4- Fights equally with Dick Grayson initially, but ultimately loses a rematch when he relies too much on knowing his conventional style. (Grayson #1/7)

Scan 1/2/3/4/5/6- Kicks Prometheus's ass despite having his major enhancements disabled and having been stabbed in the gut prior to the encounter. Prometheus also had the data of the 30 best fighters on the planet (including Middy) but ultimately gets beaten down enough to retreat. (Midnighter #7)

No Caption Provided

Scores a headshot on a Multiplex clone with a fork in a helicopter while falling (Midnighter #6)

Speed

No Caption Provided

Catches a baton from Dick Grayson (Grayson #6)

No Caption Provided

Dodges a bus full of projectiles including handgun and shotgun fire (Midnighter #6)

No Caption Provided

Dodges a train inches away from him (Grifter #14)

No Caption Provided

Dodges around a alien monster with all of Stormwatch's powers, including Manhunter's TP (Stormwatch #4)

Scan 1/2/3- Dodges numerous bullets despite having no enhancements or battle computer, later killing the demon by headbutting a mystical bullet through the head (Midnighter and Apollo #4)

No Caption Provided

Dodges multiple semi-auto fire bullets (Stormwatch #12)

No Caption Provided

Flips around and dodges a gunshot from Grifter (Grifter #7)

Scan 1/2/3- Kills a speedster near the speed of Flash by exactly calculating the second needed to catch his leg and break it (Midnighter #9)

No Caption Provided

Leaps in a blur to catch Grifter (Grifter #7)

Scan 1/2- Vibrates fast enough while in chains to snap the chair clean off, as well as killing two meta-humans with fragments (Midnighter #9)

Strength

Scan 1/2/3- A beaten down and exhausted Midnighter is able to kill some Mongul slave-masters, as well as just popping a head off one later on (Action Comics #1041)

Scan 1/2/3- Beats down Monsieur Mallah (DC Cybernetic Summer)

Scan 1/2- Breaks a lampost in half, using it to flip over a truck (Midnighter Sneak Peak)

Scan 1/2- Casually beats down a vampire cosplayer enhanced with tech, even when it splits into multiple different forms to try to escape (Midnighter #4)

No Caption Provided

Draws blood from OMAC (Stormwatch #17)

No Caption Provided

Easily powers through a whole base of guards designated to hold meta-humans (Midnighter #10)

No Caption Provided

Floors Grifter with a single punch (Grifter #7)

Scan 1/2- Murders dozens of Multiplex clones all at once in a subway tunnel (Midnighter #3)

No Caption Provided

One shots Dex-Starr (Red Lanterns #10)

Scan 1/2- One shots Jack Hawksmore (Manhunter's just pretending to be KO as shown next issue in case you are wondering) (Stormwatch #1)

Scan 1/2- Parries a angry Apollo's punch and floors him, powers through Engineer's tentacles (Stormwatch #15)

No Caption Provided

Picks a guy up by two fingers (Midnighter #2)

No Caption Provided

Pulls Grifter's body upwards despite him also trying to strangle him with rope and having crappy leverage (Grifter #7)

No Caption Provided

Rocks Etrigan with a right hook (Stormwatch #12)

Scan 1/2- Shatters a ton of ice with a ground pound (Grifter #7)

No Caption Provided

Slices Multiplex's throat with his hand (Midnighter #6)

Scan 1/2- Uses a shard of glass to slice a demon's head off with a big throw (Midnighter Sneak Peak)

Tech

No Caption Provided

Uses a expandable pole to slice through Parasite's body and into his heart (Midnighter #11)

Scan 1/2- Uses smartmarks to keep in contact with others: basically being fancy implants that allow him to communicate with whoever has them in a instant, even for random conversations. (Midnighter #1/7)

Conclusion

All in all, Middy is a pretty great character that manages to balance destructive strength with solid speed and a ton of durability to allow him to keep on trucking away despite his fairly basic brawler style, usually going for overwhelming stat advantage than anything else. His Battle Computer gives him amazing versatility as well, allowing for a near-infinite number of possibilities to be lived through before a fight even starts. It's VERY hyped for a reason, through as you can see he doesn't need it to be a effective fighter.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2 geekryan  Online

Nice!

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GearSecond619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

GOAT

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Dope

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Good respect thread. I don't understand the Manhunter feat was he holding back?

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which Manhunter feat are you talking about?

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@terry2012 said:

The one where he is fighting Manhunter and the one where Manhunter is pretending to be knockout. Are they two separate instances?

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect said:
@terry2012 said:

The one where he is fighting Manhunter and the one where Manhunter is pretending to be knockout. Are they two separate instances?

Yeah. In the second one he just outright pretended to be KO'd while in the other one he had his weakness exploited.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@terry2012 said:
@professorrespect said:
@terry2012 said:

Yeah. In the second one he just outright pretended to be KO'd while in the other one he had his weakness exploited.

Okay.

Ben2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He could've potentially killed MMH? Well, I've seen worse from comics lol

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben2004 said:

MMH is a bit of a underperforming jobber anyway tbf.

Ben2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben2004 said:

I know but really? At least Batman vs Superman can be justified with "muh kRyPtOnItE"

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben2004 said:
@professorrespect said:
@ben2004 said:

I know but really? At least Batman vs Superman can be justified with "muh kRyPtOnItE"

Yeah J'onn tends to not be nearly as hyped up as some do tend to act like he is.

kaijuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ProfessorRespect
@kaijuking said:

@professorrespect: So whose better. New 52 or Original Mids?

I haven't personally read 100% of Wildstorm Middy to make that judgement conclusively. That said, N52 has a bunch of pretty wacky high-ends and has the benefit of scaling to more conventional characters on his side. I also find Wildstorm Middy in general to be a bit overhyped to what he actually is like in the comics: he's certainly no high tier or whatever crazy statements like that.